The Courtier's Tale Ch. 04

Joseph stepped back and laced himself rapidly. "My Lord Valmont has spilled his wine and requires a change of clothes." Joseph called through the door.

Anna's butler sounded angry. "A likely story! Open this door at once!"

Joseph scooped up the glass and flung the contents at Marcel, splattering him thoroughly. The shock and outrage on the young lord's face was comical. The valet opened the door and gestured at Marcel. "See him for yourself."

The elder man looked him over sourly. "How did this happen?"

"My Lord Valmont is too deeply in his cups to have a care for his clothes." Marcel stared at Joseph.

"What? How dare you—"

The elder interrupted him to question Joseph further. "Why is your hair unbound?"

"My Lord Valmont had a petulant fit and tore out my ribbon." He lied smoothly.

"This door should not be locked."

"My lord finds his privacy in short supply of late. I will lock this door, sir."

The two servants regarded each other with open hostility.

"The good lady will hear of this. Get him dressed and be quick about it." The butler paused before leaving. "Don't let this fop have any more wine, boy."

Joseph inclined his head but said nothing, locking the door once again behind him.

Marcel exploded. "You ignored me and said whatever you damn well pleased!"

"A necessary evil."

"Look at me! My suit is ruined!"

"Shall I lick it off you?"

"You grow bold and insolent, boy."

Joseph awarded him a small, rare smile. "I had hopes you might punish me."

Xxxxx

Francis strolled through the garden party with Elizabeth. She presented him to her mother's friends and acquaintances amid smiles and much giggling. She clung to his arm and stared hopefully at him. It was both sweet and transparent. Anna smiled indulgently at them as they wandered back towards her.

Francis Montreaux was well aware that his family desired an alliance with the Valmont House. They were more highly placed and considerably richer. To that end, Francis had been thrown together with Marcel for as long as he could remember. It was fortunate for them that Marcel adored Francis and they'd become genuine friends.

Despite Marcel's cruel streak and his eye for other men, Francis had come to love the spoiled courtier over the years. It wasn't the same love Marcel bore him and it never would be. The two men had made their peace over the matter years ago.

Francis met Elizabeth's eyes and she blushed adorably. The girl was ripe and coming of age. It hadn't been difficult to secure his father's permission for a visit. He'd promised to offer his suit and Anna had already said he might court her during the country season. Although the Montreaux's were well aware of Marcel's disgrace, the opportunity was too good to be missed.

"Would like some more wine, my dear?" He asked her.

"Certainly, Francis, I'd love a glass of white. Monsieur De Vrai says the Perigueux Varsi has a fruity blush of rose this year. It's said to be quite good."

Francis smiled. He'd been learning that she wasn't as silly as she first appeared. Indeed, she'd been educated more thoroughly than was considered proper at court. He was charmed. "I'll find you a glass." He kissed her hand and went in search of the requested vintage.

Along with the wine, the young courtier found Anna Montblanc's Irish musician. "Good evening, monsieur. How are you finding the party?"

Grey eyes rose to meet his own. The Irishman smiled timidly at him. "Good evening, my lord. The party is enjoyable, thank you."

Francis grinned in merriment. "Enjoyable? Yes, I suppose it is in a rather sedate fashion. You ought to come to Paris and experience a truly enjoyable party."

Francis was surprised as the smile vanished from David's face. "Paris. Yes, I suppose most of the French gentry assume that the rest of us wish to go there."

"Your pardon," he said in confusion, "I meant no offence to you, monsieur."

The smile did not return though David Colton's stiff posture relaxed somewhat. "Of course. Please excuse me, my lord. Anna's brother has yet to exit his rooms. Our Lady will be ready to have a fit before long." He bowed slightly and began to move away. Francis caught his arm before David could make a clean escape.

"Does my Aunt rely on you so heavily as that?"

David looked startled but said nothing. Instead his pale cheeks reddened and he stared pointedly at Francis Montreaux's hand. The blonde smiled without humour. "You're more bold than most bourgeoisie. Come let us walk back together. My Aunt will glad of our company and Elizabeth claims this to be a fine vintage." He gestured with the crystal flute at the array of similar glasses on a nearby table.

"Of course, my Lord Montreaux. I would be delighted."

Francis noted the coolness of the other man's tone along with the little pause before the word 'delighted'.

David was silent as they threaded their way through gentry and servants to the main table. Francis watched him nod to various lords and young ladies as they passed. Every one of them belonged to a family of which Anna approved.

"Francis! You've found my music teacher among all these people. How clever of you!" Elizabeth's bubbly enthusiasm was girlishly innocent. Francis smiled indulgently.

"Indeed. Your wine my lady." As she took it, Francis couldn't help a sly jest. "Truthfully he wasn't hard to find. One need only look for the shadows of grey amongst the summer colours." He laughed at his own humour. David did not join him and Elizabeth's eyes widened to great dark pools.

"Oh, I am sorry. Did I say something wrong?"

Instead of responding, David brushed past them and greeted Anna anew. Marcel's niece tittered nervously and whispered to him. "Oh don't worry Francis. He's only very proper. He and mama claim Paris is a viper pit. Imagine!" Her eyes shone, daring him to say something outrageous.

"Is that so? Well, I can see I will have to choose my words more carefully in future." He offered the girl a reassuring smile before turning his attention back to Anna and her harpist. Anna was obviously put out by something. However, David murmured in her ear and she relaxed visibly. Could the rumours be true? Given the difference in age it seemed impossible.

His musings were interrupted by Marcel's sudden appearance. "Ah my sweet sister!" he sang out. "I hope I haven't missed the party."

Anna's mouth clenched. "You're late, Marcel. Still, dinner has yet to be served."

He graced her with a flourished bow. "Well then the party has scarcely begun." He flashed a grin of pure malice at David. "My dear Mr. Colton. How have you been? I regret to say that I've missed your company terribly of late. I do hope we'll be permitted to renew our acquaintance."

"Marcel. Tread lightly."

"Of course, Anna," he purred, "when am I not the pure soul of decency?"

Francis tried to hide his amusement. Anna would never forgive him if he laughed in her hearing. "I believe I could name a time or two, though not in present company."

Marcel turned astonished eyes in his direction. "Francis!" A true and beauteous expression of joy suffused the young lord's features. "You came to visit!" Marcel kissed him on both cheeks and embraced him. "I've truly missed you, my friend."

"Oh yes? We'll see about that. Before too long, you'll be glad enough to see the back of me."

Anna's voice cut through their reunion. "You might've tried much harder to be punctual, Marcel. It is the first ball of the season and Elizabeth's come out party as well."

He had the grace to look somewhat abashed. "Ah. Well I do sincerely apologise for the lack, my dear." His eyes found Elizabeth nearby.

"Oh uncle, it's quite al—" She trailed off quite suddenly. Marcel's lips quirked upward in the way he had that promised mischief.

"I believe you owe me my forfeit."

"Oh!" She blushed and looked at her shoes. "Please uncle, I couldn't possibly..."

"That's two."

"What on earth is going on here?" Anna was already cross and her colour was worsening.

Marcel appeared not to notice. "Just a friendly wager, dear sister. You wouldn't deprive me of every joy, surely?"

Francis suddenly noted the brightness in Marcel's eyes. He was drunk but holding it well. Too well for his own damn good and likely to say something stupid. Francis stepped between them and took Elizabeth's hand. "I'm sure it's merely light fun. Whatever the forfeit, Elizabeth, just pay the man already."

He noticed David's disapproval and wondered at it. The thought was gone an instant later as Elizabeth gulped her glass of wine in one draught. She coughed a moment or two then drained a second crystal flute from the table. She looked as though she swoon from strength of the spirits.

Francis wrapped his arm about her waist to keep her from falling. "Are you alright?"

"Alright? How she could she be alright?" Anna was livid. "Marcel..."

"Madame, people are staring." David's voice was low enough not to be heard outside their small group. Francis watched as Anna recovered herself.

"Dinner will be served shortly." She announced. Then in a lower tone, hissed at her brother. "No more of this, Marcel. I'm warning you once only."

Lord Valmont bowed with easy grace and waited as she swept past him.

"Fascinating." He murmured to Marcel before following her.

Xxxxxx

Francis ignored the obvious seating arrangements and took a chair beside Marcel. The provincial gentry rearranged themselves around him. Ignoring their stares and grumbling, he sipped wine innocently by Marcel's side.

Dark eyes twinkled at him. "This puts you quite a few places from Anna and my niece. I'm out of favour with my sister at the moment."

"If you think I'm going to allow you to ruin this party, you're quite mistaken."

"Me? Why would I want embarrass the good Lady Montblanc?"

"When have you ever let the opportunity slip by you?"

"You wound me, Francis."

"You're drunk, Marcel. I'm not letting you out of my sight." Even as he said it, Francis let his gaze linger on Elizabeth and the Irishman beside her.

"Mm-hmn. Have you met Anna's lovely music teacher? Such a prudish, proper man."

Francis looked sharply at his friend. Marcel was trying to be casual, but his lust was too obvious. David's previous comments suddenly made sense. "Don't even think about it." He hissed.

"Oh it's too late for that, Francis."

Lord Montreaux was horrified. God in heaven, how was Ambrose Valmont going to react? "Christ, Marcel! Tell me you didn't."

"No, not yet." The object of their discussion seemed to become aware of their scrutiny. David looked over at them and met Marcel's glittering eyes. His friend raised his glass in a silent toast, slipping his tongue deftly over the edge of the crystal flute. David flushed and looked away from them.

"What are you doing?" Marcel ignored him and cast another coy glance at David Colton. The harpist squirmed noticeably. "Could you be any more obvious without shouting your intention aloud?"

"I could be, but where's the fun in that?"

Francis sighed heavily. It was going to be a long evening unless he could put Marcel to bed early. "At least he's aware of you. That's more warning than most of them get."

Marcel's attention turned fully onto Francis. "I beg your pardon?"

"Rene Beauxfort springs to mind. You do remember him, I hope."

Marcel snorted. "He was willing enough and eager as I recall."

"Too drunk to realise you weren't some maid servant, more like."

His friend smirked. "No maid ever opened him as I did."

"Keep your voice down! Rene was horrified, Marcel. You're damn lucky he never did himself an injury."

"Over bed play? Pathetic is what that is."

"Be practical. His family is more powerful than yours." Francis caught himself from saying any more. He'd made a promise not to tell Marcel. Anna would do that in her own way. "It's clear you're wasting your time with Mr. Colton. Look at the way he has with your sister."

"So you've noticed that too?"

"What's his game?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

Francis stared at his friend. "She's near twice his age! I can't believe Anna would entertain the thought. What he could hope to gain?"

"Power, wealth and status. What else?"

Francis was near speechless. "Marcel, he's bourgeoisie and Irish! She can't be..."

"Calm down, Francis. Of course it isn't true. That woman's blood isn't hot enough to warm water on a summer day. Still, if I were an Irish bourgeoisie harpist..."

"You'd soon be out of a job."

Marcel only laughed.

xxxxxx

Joseph watched his lord from a safe distance whenever he could. The party was well advanced and flowing with local gentry. Anna's staff needed every spare hand they had, including his. So long as he stayed well away from the head table, there shouldn't be trouble over him.

He'd seen the way Marcel had greeted lord Montreaux. Joseph had seen the blonde from a distance in Paris when the man had come to visit the Valmont House. They were old friends and bound to cleave together. Yet, Marcel's obvious happiness and the way the pair whispered together over their wine upset him terribly.

"Mind what you're doing, boy!"

Joseph startled and barely avoided pouring wine into someone's lap. "Your pardon, my lord."

"Hmph! I should think so! Fetch me a new plate, boy, and be quick about it."

Joseph bobbed his head and retreated rapidly. He had to stop worrying about Marcel. Even so, he skirted close by the head table on his way to the kitchens. His lord's gaze was fixed on David Colton while Francis Montreaux whispered urgently in his ear. A tight knot twisted in Joseph's stomach. The fact that David would sooner dine on broken glass than share Marcel's bed was only slight consolation.

Joseph managed to find the same lord who'd ordered fresh food. There were several others who sent him on similar errands thereafter. The work afforded him little time to think of much else.

Xxxxxx

The feast was practically over and Marcel could hardly wait to do something else. Being with Francis was wonderful, but the lord had other entertainments in mind. He watched with interest as Anna and David rose from their seats. Mr. Colton shot him a sideways look and Marcel smirked at him. Perhaps the man was beddable after all.

Anna raised her glass and addressed the company. "To the King!"

"The King!" They cheered back.

"I'm pleased to launch the festive season this year. More than that, my daughter Elizabeth will be enjoying these events as well. Please allow me to present her to you as she leads tonight's entertainment."

They all clapped heartily as Elizabeth curtsied and made her way to the large standing harp. Marcel nudged Francis in the ribs. "Just look at that Irishman! He looks as proud as a peacock."

"Hush Marcel. I want to hear her play."

"Oh really, Francis. Surely you've heard her play before." His friend shot him a look that silenced Marcel for the moment. Francis was enthralled and wasn't paying attention to him. Marcel took the opportunity to slip through the crowd, closer to David Colton.

"She really does play beautifully." David's head snapped around. Marcel was delighted he'd managed to startle him. "Such sweet music does you credit, monsieur. No doubt there will soon be plenty of pretty girls to tutor, yes?"

"Thank you, my Lord Valmont..."

"Oh please call me Marcel. I do so hate to stand on ceremony with friends." Marcel slipped his arm through David's. "Walk with me? It's crowded here and I prefer to chat quietly." David was tense but allowed himself to be lead peacefully enough. Marcel knew he wouldn't dare to cause a scene and ruin the party.

"I hope you don't think I'm going to follow you to some shadowed corner."

"Certainly I don't imagine that. I merely want to talk where there are fewer ears to hear. I'd have no one say I willingly embarrassed you."

David's ears pinked adorably. "I believe I've made myself clear before."

Marcel smiled. He'd known David would jump to the wrong conclusion. There were very few people nearby and Marcel lowered his voice, "I wished to speak with you concerning my servant, Joseph."

"Your valet?"

"Quite so. Let me be clear, monsieur. You and my dear sister will say whatever you wish of me. I understand that completely. However, fomenting open rebellion in my servants is another thing altogether. I won't tolerate it, Monsieur Colton, believe me."

David's eyes were troubled and he frowned slightly. "He told you about our chat?"

"Did you think he wouldn't? Don't bother to answer that. I can see from your face it's exactly what you thought." He leaned closer. "Have a care, monsieur. Joseph is precious to me."

"Precious? Are you serious? So precious that you're here..."

"Speaking with you about your arrogant assumptions. You and everyone else here assume the worst of me. I grow weary of it."

David eyed him suspiciously. "Are you saying it isn't true?"

"It? Why, whatever are you referring to?"

"You know damned well!" Still David lowered his voice further. "I haven't forgotten what you tried to do to me. Is he your bed fellow?"

Marcel's smile grew smug. "You're so proper it's adorable. Tell me, Monsieur Colton, did you bother to ask Joseph if this was so or did you simply presume it to be true." David's silence was heavy. "That's what I thought."

Polite applause was given as the music ended. "I must go, my lord." He tried to pull away but Marcel tightened his hold and did not budge.

"Must you really? We were just beginning to have an honest conversation." David shot him an exasperated look and Marcel opened his hand. "Off you go then."

The man hurried to rejoin Elizabeth and her admirers. Marcel followed more slowly and planned his next volley.

Xxxxxx

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 23 milliseconds