• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • The Invitation

The Invitation

This story started from a thought I had while I was doing some work and waiting for the scanner to do its thing.

As I typed, it grew, from some notes on a piece of paper to what has been published below.

It's a story about two people recovering from a major event in their separate lives, who meet, and discover they have much in common, and who like what they see.

Enjoy, and vote if you wish.

The Invitation

David saw the lights ahead of the servo-diner. As he got closer he saw it was on the same side of the highway he was travelling on and decided that he would take a break just like the road signs were imploring: 'Stay alive, have a 10-minute coffee break'.

David was driving to his home which was still another 250 kms away - about 2 and a half hours driving - and couldn't see the urgency to get there even if he was that weary. He might as well stop, have something to eat and a cuppa, not coffee though, and then a snooze in the car before he headed off again.

There was no one at home after the divorce he'd applied for had been granted. Divorce in Australia was only due to 'Irreconcilable Differences', there was no fault attached any more. Adultery, desertion, and any of the myriad of reasons meant nothing; quote 'Irreconcilable Differences', bide your time, and off you go, happily single or otherwise.

David had filed against his former wife and gained the divorce from her some 2 years before. He had kept his home and most of his assets after she had left him for the snake in the grass Thomas James Henry, the dickwad with 3 first names he had called him, but it still cost him a lot of money to pay her out, however it was 'money well spent' in his opinion.

Thomas James Henry (TJ he liked to be known as - made him sound more 'hip', 'with it' and superior to the mere plebs with whom he had to deal with on a daily basis), had been headhunted into the branch office to replace Warren Rolfe, the Manager, who had collapsed at his home and died. TJ immediately staked his superiority and micro-management of everything that went on in the office. He had made it known that he wanted Sherree, and she succumbed to his charms, although apparently it didn't take that much time to win her over, a couple of lunches, an evening dinner or two, the promise of quick promotion, and she was putty in his hands.

It wasn't long before he had her panties off and in doing so, killed her marriage so that 18 months later she was a free woman. TJ then found himself with a single - recently divorced - woman with nowhere to go. Unfortunately for Sherree, that arrangement didn't fit in with his plans at all and she found herself without a job, a husband, and living in a small flat.

When the snake realised that she might become an unwanted burden upon his lifestyle, he dropped her like a bucket of hot rocks. She came crawling back to David, crying that she was mistaken, it didn't mean anything, and to please forgive her of her transgressions.

David looked at her, shook his head and said, "No, no way in hell are you coming back in this house. I told you when I found out after you had been bonking him for six months, how you were wrong, he didn't want you, just someone to screw. But of course, you didn't believe me, I was wrong, you loved each other, you said, and you were going to him. Even after I pleaded with you to stay, you told me you'd be back on Sunday evening so you could get your stuff moved and you'd be gone the next day.

Well, you know how well that worked out for you, and now that you realise you were wrong and Dickwad is a bastard and pussy hound, by the way, how many others has he been through now, last I heard it was 4 besides you, you want to crawl back here with me as though nothing had happened. Tell me, my dear Sherree, how long would that last? I reckon about as long as the next prick who turned up looking for a quick lay on his part while promising you the world and meaning none of it. No, thank you, you can leave now."

David closed the door in front of her face and turned the light off after telling her she'd better be quick if she wanted to find somewhere to sleep that night. Where she went, he didn't know, and cared even less.

David parked the car where he could see outside the dining room after he had refuelled it and paid the attendant. He found a table and perused the menu noting the place was almost full and he was lucky to get an unoccupied table at all. The waitress took his order, including a pot of tea and returned after a few minutes with the tea, and some milk.

He could see the door and the large TV screen from he was sitting, but the sound had been turned down. He lost interest in the TV and gazed about him seeing a small white Toyota sedan pull in next to his car. The door opened and a young woman of about 30 years got out, closed, locked the door, and entered the diner, looking around for an empty table.

She made her way toward him, David pleading with the God's that she passed him by. No such luck however as she stopped opposite him and asked if he would mind sharing the table.

Reluctantly, he stood, and indicated the chair next to her. "Thankyou," she softly said, "I haven't eaten all day, been driving nonstop, to get.....well just to get away, I guess you could say."

David asked the young woman if she would like tea or coffee? "Tea, please, I can't stand coffee." He signalled to the waitress a "T" sign and watched as she turned to retrieve another cup and saucer.

David poured the tea and offered the milk to her. She added a small amount and sipped the result. "Mmm, thank goodness, I've hanging out for one of these since this morning."

"I'm David, David Draper, please call me David."

"Thank you for the tea," the woman said, "My name is Jasmin Wellington, most people call me 'Jaz'."

"Tell me, Jaz, how long have you been driving and where from? Oh, sorry, you don't have to say if you don't wish to."

Jaz tilted her head as she looked at him, as though she was trying to work out if there was anything in what she could say that might go against her, then offered, "I took off just after 8 am this morning and have driven almost non-stop, except for a toilet stop about 3 hours ago. I didn't eat or get a drink there, just kept going."

"Are you in a hurry to get somewhere, getting away from something, it's just that you have driven a long way which is a bit unusual I guess?"

"No, not really, but I'm sort of in a hurry to get back to my home, I'm not really that comfortable otherwise."

"How far do you have to go, then?"

"I'm driving to the hills near Perth, so I suppose about 250 kilometres yet."

"Coincidence, I'm driving to Greenmount in the eastern hills, back home as well. I work away at times, and I'm heading home after nearly 3 weeks away. I guess I'm lucky I don't have any pets, but I have neighbours who keep an eye on the place for me."

"Where were you working, David?"

"I was doing some work at the roadhouses between Eucla and Norseman, checking out the computer systems and making sure the satellite connections are working as they should, and running software audits, that sort of thing. Not that interesting really, but sometimes you find some interesting things that need investigation. I hand it the back-room boys then and they sort it out."

"Oh wow, so who pays you to do that sort of stuff?"

"Good old Canberra."

"Oh, is it a bit cloak and dagger?"

"No, no, not really, but there are times when it I'm glad I can hand it off to other people to sort out."

"What do you do, Jaz?

"Please don't laugh, but I'm a software engineer. I audit software for design issues or coding problems, mainly for one of the Big Four banks, but I get lent out to other businesses as well, for a not inconsiderable fee, however I don't see that of course."

David looked at her in a new light and felt he could get to really enjoy his time with this lady.

Their meals arrived and they ate making small talk and finding out more about each other. Jaz was returning to her home having seen to the funeral of her parents who had been killed in a 4-way accident on the Eyre Highway that crosses the Nullabor Plain.

Oh, I am sorry for you. I heard about that while I was in Norseman on the way Eucla. Terrible, just terrible. What happened do you know? Aah look, if you don't want to say, then don't. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked."

Jaz looked at me with a tear in her eyes, and whispered, "It's alright, I think the tanker driver had a heart attack or something and crossed into Dad's side of the road, hit them head-on. At least that's what I was told by the police. I just hope it was quick, I hate to think what they saw for the last few seconds of their lives."

David placed his hand on top of Jaz's right hand, and whispered back, "I'm so terribly sorry, if I'd known, I wouldn't have asked."

"Thank you, you weren't to know."

He noticed that Jaz didn't move her hand, in fact she turned hers over and wrapped her fingers around his. She looked at him with a half-smile, and again whispering, said," You're the first person I've told that to, I couldn't even begin to think or talk about till now."

"Jaz, anytime you want to talk, you let me know, I'll be here to listen. Look, it's getting a bit late, perhaps we should head off, what do you think?"

Jaz looked at David and said, "Perhaps we should drive together, make sure we both get to where we are going, sort of thing?"

"Yes, we can do that if you like. You'd better go first though; I can see your car a lot easier than you'd see my blue truck."

Just over two hours later, Jaz slowed and pulled into a parking bay in Mundaring on the Great Eastern Highway, across the highway from a small deli.

David got out and asked if she was okay or if she was near her home now. "I'm not far from home, would you like to follow me, and we can have another cuppa?"

"Are you sure, I mean I'd like too very much but only if you're okay with that. I could be a mad man on the run from somewhere."

"Ha, ha. Yes, you look like it as well. I just thought you would like to have a cup of tea with me before you head home."

"Thank you Jaz, I'd like that. My place is not far from here, in Greenmount in fact, but it's empty, cold, and lonely. And I think I'd much rather a cup of tea with an interesting, and lovely lady such as yourself, instead of by myself."

Jaz smiled at that and rested her hand on mine. "I'll just race in here and get some milk and bread, and then we can be on the way."

Jaz came out a few minutes later and said, "Follow me then, it's not far now, about two and a half k's."

Jaz got back into her car and started to drive slowly down the highway. David could see her in the rear-view mirror watching him to make sure he was following.

David got back in his car and followed Jaz for a few minutes until she turned into a driveway that led to a medium size house nestled among some trees.

Jaz opened up the house and turned the lights on. David followed her to the door but waited. "Please, come in David." She added some water to the electric kettle and switched it on. "I'll just put my case and bag away, then I'll make the tea."

David went to the kitchen and sat at the breakfast bar until Jaz returned. He stood and watched as she took down two mugs and put them on the bar. She put some milk into a small jug and then poured the boiling water into the pot. He noted that she used tea leaves, not tea bags, and so hoped that it would be a really nice brew.

While they waited for the tea to settle, they made some more small talk, but soon realised they had much in common, not only with their similar work, but many of each other's interests as well. Jaz poured the tea and offered the milk.

They each had two mugs of tea, and David looked at the clock over the sink, and suggested that perhaps he had better head off as it was getting late.

"Jaz," he murmured, "Would you mind if I gave you my number. I'd really like for you to call me and maybe we can go out for dinner sometime?"

"What about if I give we give each other our numbers, do you think you might call me tomorrow?"

"Yes, I'd like that, I can call, say in the afternoon, perhaps we can catch up tomorrow evening? Would you like me to help you tidy up?"

"You'll do no such thing. I'll fix this up. David, do you think we could meet, say Friday for dinner? You could come here, and I'll make a nice meal for us both. What do you think?"

'Jaz, I'd love to do that, but I was thinking that maybe we could go out to dinner, and that way we don't have to cook or tidy up afterwards, just enjoy the meal and each other's company. What do you think?"

"Mm, perhaps that might be better."

They walked to the door, and Jaz took hold of the handle, but stopped just before she turned it to open the door. She turned so that she was looking at him, with her back to the door.

"David, I know this is going to sound stupid, and I've never ever done this before, but do you think you'd like to, umm, just hold me for a minute?"

David looked at Jaz, and wondered what was going through her mind that she would even ask such a question. They had met only a few hours ago, and she wanted to hold him. He thought, this is something that is entirely strange for him, perhaps it's just a farewell for now. A cuddle, hug, but somehow comforting for her.

He opened his arms, she came to him, and he wrapped his arms around her. She rested her head on his chest, and he smelled her scent. Jaz looked up at him and offered her lips to him, and David gently kissed her. He looked at her again, and she nodded so perceptively at him, and they kissed again, with more fervour this time, but not so that he crushed her mouth.

"Thank you David, you don't know what that means to me." She paused, collecting her thoughts. "David, before you leave, may I ask you something?"

He looked at her and gently kissed her again, "Yes Jaz, ask me."

"David, would you like to stay with me tonight?"

"Oh, my goodness. Are you sure, absolutely sure? I mean, I'd really like to do that, but I'm not sure, it's a huge step for us."

She looked at him and whispered, "I understand, it's okay, but you will call me tomorrow, won't you?"

"Yes, Jaz, you have my word and promise. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Thank you David."

She turned and opened the door and watched as he walked to his truck. He waved and got in, started it, and reversed slowly out of the drive. She watched until she could no longer see the taillights, turned, and went back inside.

As David drove slowly toward his own home, he thought and mentally smacked himself. He wondered if Jaz was really the one that was destined to be his soulmate, his ying to her yang, his half that would make his life whole, with meaning, and resume a resemblance of order in his world.

He wondered what Jaz was thinking. Was she worried that he wouldn't call although he said he would.

Was she apprehensive in some way that he wouldn't call? Was she nervous that she was too soon in expressing her innermost thoughts to him, especially asking him to stay?

David was 200 metres from his home when he stopped and turned around and drove back to Jaz's house. He drove into the driveway, got out of his truck, and ran to the door. The lights were out, but he knocked anyway, and when he didn't hear anything, he knocked again, louder this time.

The lights turned on, and he could hear Jaz moving inside.

"Who is it?" she asked.

"It's David."

Jaz opened the door and looked at him.

"Did you mean what you asked of me?"

"Yes," she replied in a small voice.

"Would you like to come in?"

"On one condition?"

"What's that?"

"Is it for life, for ever? If it is, I will come in."

"Yes, forever.

"Forever?"

"Forever!!"

David entered her house, and Jaz slowly closed the door on their past.

She took him in her arms and kissed him. "I love you, David, I'm so glad you came back."

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • The Invitation

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 145 milliseconds