The Link Pt. 02: The Hunted

We spent the walk to the formal store discussing Mr. Prichard's pre-calc test. Everyone was in agreement that it was way too difficult, and contained problems we'd never discussed in class. Mr. Prichard was a math geek and thought the world loved it as much as he did. He always wore a bow tie and began the day with 'Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the world of numbers.' 'Welcome to hell,' most of us would think.

"He'll have to curve," Gene said, more trying to convince himself than us. Gene's parents forced him into AP classes. He had always struggled to keep his head above water.

"There's always someone that wrecks the curve," Samantha said, then turned her head. "Isn't that right Caleb?" I turned to find Caleb McGuire following about five steps behind us. His face turned ten shades of red as he fumbled for a response. Scholastically, Caleb was brilliant. Socially, he lacked a strong presence. I could tell that Samantha calling him out hurt him almost physically.

"I screwed up the extra credit problem," Caleb said defensively. His raven hair was hanging sloppily over his ears, almost like he was in the midst of trying to grow it long. The part on the left side was askew with windblown strands crisscrossing over it.

"Did you screw up the curve?" Gene asked ominously. I was surprised when Caleb didn't flinch. I didn't know him well, but I figured he would be fearful around someone as tall as Gene. Caleb played violin in the school orchestra. Gene; basketball and track.

"Probably," Caleb replied strongly, "I can't dunk a ball, so I ace tests." I was surprised at his stance. It wasn't threatening, but it was wall-like. He wasn't going to back down at Gene's words. Caleb was my size, around a head shorter than Gene.

"Touché," Gene laughed. Caleb relaxed and smiled. I heard Samantha let out a breath. She hadn't been sure of how Gene would react. "You know anything about tuxes?" Gene asked.

"About as much as dunking a ball," Caleb admitted.

"Well," Samantha said, "you can join us anyway. Save you the trouble of following us around."

"I wasn't following," Caleb defended himself. His face was going red again.

"Come," I said, "keep me company. I don't want to feel like the third wheel." Caleb wasn't really in my circle of friends, but his backbone impressed me and I wanted Samantha to stop teasing him. I don't think he could hold his own against a woman. He brightened immediately and agreed. I felt his smile was more than it should have been. We were only going tux shopping.

"So," Gene said when the four of us were mobile again, "when are we going to meet this college guy? I hear he plays for Notre Dame." It was my turn to blush.

"What are you talking about?" Samantha asked. She looked to Gene, then to me in confusion. I sighed.

"I heard Teegan's date goes to Notre Dame," Gene replied to Samantha. Samantha looked at me, probably wondering why I never told her.

"I heard he's the backup left tackle," Caleb added.

"There's no college guy," I said, "Zane made it up and it got around." Weirdly, Caleb smiled again. I turned away from him, not understanding why he found my datelessness humorous.

"Why would he do that?" Samantha asked.

"Mason Crawford asked him if I had a date for the prom," I replied.

"He's a jerk," Samantha said. I nodded.

"Zane didn't know what to do, so he made up a guy bigger than Mason," I said. Gene laughed, and Samantha slugged him in the shoulder.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Samantha demanded of Gene.

"You guys are like best friends," Gene defended himself, "I thought I was the last to know." Samantha turned to me.

"I just found out on the ride over," I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"That's why no one's asked you to the prom," Samantha said, moving closer to me. "God! I was beginning to think all the guys were just stupid."

"I can dump this violent woman," Gene said as he rubbed his arm where Samantha had hit him, "and escort you to the prom." Samantha went still facing me, away from Gene. I could see the smile on her face, but Gene only saw the stillness.

"I'm joking, Sam," Gene pleaded. Samantha turned and showed him her smile. For a second, I thought they were going to do some mushy public display. Instead, he held out his hand, and she took it. I guessed that's how they forgave the little things.

"Store's just around the corner," Caleb said, pointing the way. He still had that strange smirk on his face. It was slightly uncomfortable, but we followed his lead anyway.

We were all busy looking at the manikins, trying to envision the displayed tuxes on Gene. All of the attendants seemed to be busy at the moment. Samantha didn't seem pleased with any she was seeing, and Gene looked completely out of place. I was able to nix a few of the styles, but was indeterminate about the rest.

"What color is your dress?" Caleb asked out of the blue. His eyes moved to Samantha, who looked surprised at his question.

"Off white," Samantha replied, "I think they called it champagne." Caleb nodded and walked farther down an aisle as if the information had meaning. He was busy along a rack as the rest of us tried not to look stupid. I hadn't realized how many styles there were. Samantha was busy pointing out certain looks and Gene dutifully shrugged his shoulders.

"Here," Caleb said, handing a set of hangers filled with clothes to Gene. I was again struck by the confidence he showed. I've been going to school with him for years, and never knew he had an individual thought. Of course, I had never spent any time with him before. Gene shrugged and took the clothes into the dressing room.

"I thought you didn't know anything about tuxes," I pointed out quietly to Caleb. Samantha was three racks over, still mesmerized by the number of choices.

"I know everything there is to know about dunking a ball," Caleb whispered, "I'm just not tall enough to do it." I covered my mouth and held back a laugh. Again he surprised me. Orchestra nerd with a sense of humor.

"Where are you going after you graduate?" I asked, shifting closer. His humor had shrunk my personal space. Caleb was becoming one of those surprising people you wouldn't mind knowing better.

"Not sure," Caleb said, moving a step away under the guise of examining a tux further down the rack. "I've been accepted to MIT, but my parents want me to go to Stanford." My eyes widened. I didn't know he was that smart. I didn't think anyone at our school went to those types of schools.

"Wow," Was all I could say. Caleb shrugged.

"I would prefer Northwestern," Caleb sighed. "I love the violin more than math, and they have a killer program." He looked at me, and I saw sadness in his eyes. "My parents only see dollar signs."

"Have you told them?" I asked, more interested than someone who barely knew him should be.

"Yep," Caleb replied, nodding. I could see his parents dislike of the idea on his face. I didn't like the resignation.

"You know," I said, lightening my tone, "I don't think I have ever heard you play. I mean, I've heard the orchestra, but never just you."

"I'm playing on Saturday," Caleb said, "I've been invited by the Smooth Gliders." He looked at me with apprehension. "Well, their sax player, at least."

"You mean for money?" I asked. I didn't know he was that good.

"Not this time," Caleb smiled, "though I have done weddings and things." He was proud of his music. I could hear it in his voice.

"So, like, you just jam with them or something?"

"Sort of," Caleb replied, turning toward me, "Tom, the sax player, was a speaker at a music workshop I attended last year. He played something that really got to me." He smiled deeply. "You know, when a song just sort of grabs you?" I nodded knowing exactly what he meant. "Well, it was a work in progress, and Tom and I improvised on it instead of eating lunch." Caleb chuckled as he remembered. "It was like I knew where the tune was headed. Violin and sax are a really odd pair, but it worked. We've been trading emails every since."

"You're going to play it for an audience?"

"Sure," Caleb said, "music is for ears. The more, the better." I couldn't imagine getting on stage and performing for a crowd. Again, his confidence impressed me. "It's just a side piece, nothing headliner, but it will be fun to play with a professional."

"Wow," I said again. I had Caleb sorted beneath me on the social scale. Now I wondered if it was me below him. High school was ending, and the normal sorting was quickly disintegrating.

"If you'd like to hear," Caleb said, his voice weakening as he spoke, "I can get you a seat."

"Sure," I agreed, "I can promise at least one standing ovation." It had been a long time since my words had made someone outside my family happy. His face lit up, and he stood taller.

"Okay," Caleb said, "give me your number and I'll text the information when I get home." I was giving him my number when Gene walked out of the changing room.

"Damn," Samantha said too loudly. Gene's eyebrows raised at her word. He turned into a three paneled mirror.

"Damn," Gene repeated. He looked beyond handsome, even if the pants did need altering. It was a black two button jacket cut short at the hip. A shocking white shirt with point collars was held firm by a champagne bow tie. Between the shirt and jacket was a champagne four button vest. I don't think Gene ever looked so good.

"You, my man," Gene said to Caleb, "are my new best friend."

"It looks really good," I said. "Maybe you should dump Samantha."

"Shut your eyes girl," Samantha said, moving toward Gene quickly. "This one is mine." It was the first time I had ever seen Gene's cheeks color. "We are going to look so good together," Samantha continued as she brushed her hands along the jacket. Her happiness was contagious. I found a true smile for her as my idiotic jealousy finally took a backseat.

"I feel like 007," Gene said smiling.

"Get the pocket silk to match," Caleb said, moving forward.

"The what?" Gene asked.

"Handkerchief," Caleb clarified, "it sticks out of your pocket. You know, like 007." Gene laughed as Samantha nodded in agreement. It was another hour before Gene was measured and his tux, with pocket silk, was on order for the prom. Caleb left in the middle of it. I could sense that he thought he was pushing his welcome into our group. I didn't want him to feel uncomfortable, so I didn't dissuade him. I only reminded him to text me the details of his concert.

"You made a date with the math geek?" Samantha asked with surprise.

"Don't call him that," I said quickly. Maybe too quickly.

"Sorry."

"It's not a date," I clarified. "He's playing in a real band, so I told him I'd come and support him."

"Well, he does have that Beatles hair thing going on," Samantha laughed.

"Stop it," I said and laughed with her. It was true.

"The man has good taste in clothes," Gene said, sliding up next to us.

"He does have that," Samantha said, grabbing Gene's hand. "I thought he didn't know anything about tuxes."

"About as much as he knows about dunking basketballs," I said, hiding my smile.

"Well, I owe him," Gene said. "At least, I won't look like a dweeb at the prom."

"You'll be with me," Samantha bragged. "That alone will remove any dweebiness." I laughed louder than I should have.

Like clockwork, Zane called at the appointed time and begged another hour from me. I was in a good mood, so I acquiesced. It was nice to feel Mom and Dad's flash of approval at Zane's happiness. Sometimes, it wasn't a nuisance.

Chapter 3 - Caleb

I got myself out of there as quickly as I could. For once in my life, I didn't overstay my welcome. Gene Haverston himself called me his new best friend. I knew he meant it in jest, but it was a good thing to hear him say out loud. People like him usually didn't give people like me the time of day. Maybe, we're all just getting older.

I made Teegan Fuller smile. That, above all else, was my greatest victory. That, and she didn't have a date for prom. I had trouble not grinning like a fool as I made my way to my car. I actually talked with her and she was coming to see me perform. It was like a dream come true. My mother had told me that my senior year would be the best. I never believed her, since the previous years were misery compounded. I always thought people were stupid, and I a fool when I tried to lower myself to their level. Today, I found out people weren't stupid. They just thought differently, and I was the fool for not accepting it.

Fate. That is the only word I could put to the events of the day. I had thought the dentist appointment the day before a chore, and instead, it was a blessing. The waiting room was backed up, and I read that old copy of GQ out of boredom. I never thought an article on tuxes would be of any importance in my life. I never even envisioned going to the prom.

I made a joke and Teegan laughed. I was almost an idiot and corrected the implied tux expertise, but something stopped me. Something told me to let her laugh. To let her enjoy herself. I couldn't believe how good it made me feel to hear her laugh with me.

About two blocks away from the mall, an insistent tone broke into my thoughts. I had forgotten to buckle my seatbelt. I laughed. Teegan was filling my mind, and everything else was blotted out. I almost told her twice. Twice, I held my tongue. Now she was coming to hear me play. I was so happy I kept my mouth shut.

I drove the whole way home with the seat belt warning going off. No desire to follow the rules, I turned up the radio and let the music drown out the warning. For the day, I was a rebel, taking chances and acting smooth.

"Did you pick up socks?" My mom asked as I entered the house.

"Nope," I replied. I accomplished nothing I set out to do. I accomplished everything I desired to do. I walked over to the couch and returned the forty dollars Mom had given me. The lost expression on her face pleased me. I couldn't remember the last time I didn't do what was expected.

"What are you going to do without socks?"

"Go barefoot," I replied and headed quickly to my room. I was bolder. I couldn't believe I stood up to Gene in the mall. It was no different than any other comment I had taken meekly in the past. This time, Teegan was there. The first time she had been watching me. I thought for sure he was going to punch me. Instead, he laughed, and we were somehow more equal. Teegan did that.

I knew I hadn't mastered anything yet. I was no social expert. It was the main reason I left them when I did, before I could make some fatal error. For years, I have looked at Teegan from afar. Her perfection had befuddled me. Most people never saw it. The way she moved, the way she looked at people, the way her voice sang so differently than anyone else's. Everything about her was special.

There was only one entity that knew my obsession. Such a bad word, obsession. I never stalked her. There is just something about her that clutters my thoughts. I only had one 'B' on a test this year. Only one, and I knew the cause. I had bumped into Teegan on the way out of class, and we traded a quick sorry. Silly as it was, all I could think of during the test was her arm touching mine.

I set the alarm on my phone for three hours. I didn't want to send out the concert information too quickly. My desire must always be kept at a distance from Teegan. If she didn't feel the same, then I certainly didn't want her to be weirded out. My obsession had sanity. It would be two-way or no-way. A little fear began to creep over my thoughts. I was about to find out if it was two-way. If it was one-way, I was sure my heart would suffer irreparable damage.

My diary was hidden well. My parents didn't even know it existed. I pulled the grate off the floor's central-air outflow. I reached in and pulled out my book of secrets. For the last three years, I had kept a journal of my life in the book, barely missing a day. A lot of it was mundane, but most concerned a girl of impeccable perfection. The book was the one entity that knew my secrets.

I opened to the first blank page and wrote the date. I wasn't sure how to start. I turned back to previous days and looked at the entries. Teegan sightings mixed with other events of the day. I went back further, where I began to describe what I felt about her. The words were silly and accurate. I went to the first page and read the first entry:

I saw her today. I don't have the courage to speak with her, so the outcome may not be as I wish. It's confusing. No other girl affects me this way. I can see the beauty in other girls, desire their contact, but Teegan Fuller is singularly special. She has a spell on me.

Closing the book, I thought on what I'd written. All those years and only now had I spoken more than one word to her. It was time to find out the truth and stop my childish ways.

My mother was a little surprised when I opened the flue to the fireplace. I wadded up some newspaper and stuffed it under the grate.

"A little warm for a fire," Mom said. She had only ever seen the rational me. I knew she wouldn't stop me, but I could still hear the concern.

"It's necessary," I said as I placed the diary on top of the grate. I pulled a match from the tinderbox and struck it.

"What are you burning?" Mom asked, sitting up with surprise.

"My diary," I replied. The flames quickly claimed the newspaper and the book began to burn. I sat on the rock ledge that stuck out of the front of the fireplace. The flames first turned a strange blue as the cover caught fire, then they went bright orange.

"What's wrong?" My mother asked, moving toward me. The socks were only the tip of the iceberg. Now I was doing something else strange that confused her.

"I'm in love," I told her. "This weekend, I find out if it's for real." I felt my mom's hand on my shoulder.

"What if it isn't?" Mom asked.

"Then I'm lost," I said, "and have to start over."

Chapter 4 - Teegan

"There he is," Gene announced in the hallway. He was looking at Caleb walking toward his locker. Caleb looked shocked at the acknowledgment. I wished I could have toned down Gene before he spoke, so Caleb didn't look so spooked. Gene bowed ridiculously in the middle of the hall, in front of half the school. "The maestro of fashion approaches," Gene announced loudly. Our little group turned toward Caleb and saw his face color.

"Come on bro," Gene waved Caleb forward, "I've been telling these guys about your hidden talents. They think I'm nuts, but we'll find out who the stud is on prom night." Samantha laughed, and there were smiles all around. Hesitantly, Caleb came forward, his eyes mostly on mine so I steadied them with a smile.

"You're still playing on Saturday?" I asked clearly. I wanted everyone to know that he was welcome and that it was more than just a tux selection.

"Playing what?" Amanda asked. The discussion went into Caleb fielding questions about his Saturday night gig. Though he tried to downplay it, as far as we were concerned, playing professional meant rockstar. Suddenly, Caleb had the respect of my friends. I had no idea why it pleased me so much. There was something about him that just shouted friendship. I could see, without any link, his happiness at being included. I loved his sly humor, though I suspected half of it was unintentional.

"No, I swear," Gene said, "we were lost, and this guy just grabbed me a 007 outfit that looked perfect. I mean, I looked all Daniel Craig, ready to save the world." Everyone broke into laughter, and it was directed fondly toward Caleb. I could swear he became taller as Gene spoke. I wondered if he had ever had someone friend him publicly.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 21 milliseconds