The Link Pt. 03: The Huntress

"That doesn't sound like a bad idea," I said, bouncing my finger in the air. "Between the two of us, we probably could organize enough time." Jack looked at me, and I could tell we were in sync. It was concerning that they were traveling around the planet with a baby.

"Stop," Natalie said, "and don't you two dare bring up any of your cockamamie plans. If they want help, they'll ask for it."

"You'll make them think we don't trust them," Grace added. Damn, both women were in sync as well. "We'll be lucky to ever see them again if you two start second guessing their parenting."

"We can make it sound like we need a vacation," I offered. Jack nodded in agreement.

"Not a word," Natalie said. I sighed, knowing where to draw my battle lines, and this was not one of those times. Jack shrugged his shoulders and muffled a yes to Natalie. Maybe he'd ask anyways. Grace didn't have as much strength as Natalie. It was a hope at least.

"They're here," I announced, feeling my girl's bright light grow brighter. Zane beat us all to the door and flung it open as two cars pulled into the driveway. A white SUV driven by Terence, it's smoked black window was rolled down, and Teegan was waving. Caleb followed in a shiny, royal blue Corvette Grand Sport.

Zane stopped and stared at the car. I could hear Natalie gasp behind me. I moved past Zane and tried not to look too anxious as I walked toward my daughter. Jack was nipping at my heels.

"Like my new car?" Caleb yelled to his dad as he rose from the driver's seat. I glanced back at the dejected look on Zane's face. "It was hard to find this color in stock anywhere. Luckily, they had it in Bangor." Jack stalled to hug his son. It was selfish, but it meant I got first dibs on Rose.

"Hi, Dad," Teegan said, her smile was as lovely as ever. I could see Rose's arms bouncing up and down in her car seat. She was bigger than I remembered. I wrapped my arms around Teegan and hugged her close. It was so strange hugging her more as an equal than as my child. "I love you, daddy," she whispered in my ear. Nope, still my baby.

"And I you," I said. I looked up to see Jack opening the far car door to pull Rose out of her car seat. Damn. I hugged my daughter closer. They were staying at our house for a few days, so I'd already won anyway.

"That's my girl," Jack said, lifting the smiling, excited baby out of the car. "Let's go see your grandmother." The man had no conscience and passed me right by to share Rose with Grace.

"Come," I said, "we need to hear all about your trip."

"It's good to be home," Teegan said, grabbing a large flowered baby bag from the car. I had forgotten how much gear a baby needed. I wrapped my arm around her, taking the bag from her hands. It was good that she still thought of our house as home.

Kisses and handshakes were flying about. Terence followed with arms full of bags. Two for the couple and three for Rose. Jack and I hauled them upstairs while the Grandmothers smothered Rose.

Zane hung back with a fake smile. I think he had envisioned a royal blue birthday present. I'd have to have a talk with him later. Natalie would never let him have a car that went as fast as a 'vette. Not until he's had a few more years behind the wheel.

"You like the car?" Caleb asked Zane.

"Sure, who wouldn't," Zane said with little enthusiasm.

"What about the color? You think it's a good choice?" Caleb continued.

"Yeah, color's great," Zane said, then stood up straighter. "It's a beautiful car. I hope you'll take me for a drive." A tinge of pride surged through me. Maybe Zane was getting a little older, becoming a man.

"Maybe you'll take me for a drive," Caleb said.

"You'll let me drive it?" Zane said, his eyes lighting up. Natalie visibly tensed. She trusted Caleb, but that much power in the hands of her son scared the hell out of her. Teegan leaned over and whispered something in her ear, and she smiled, visibly relaxing.

"I would think that would be up to you," Caleb said, causing Zane to give him a confused look.

"Happy Birthday," Teegan said. Zane snapped his head to her, the confusing look shifting in strange ways on his face. "Did you think we would forget?"

"Forgive us, we didn't have time to wrap it," Caleb said as he tossed Zane the keys with a large smile. Zane almost fumbled the catch as the shock of the gift came to roost on his face. What surprised me was the smile on Natalie's face. Zane looked up at his mother, knowing she was the key to gift.

"Can I?" Zane pleaded with eyes of an anxious puppy dog.

"I don't see why not," Natalie said. She looked at me. "Can you think of a reason he shouldn't accept his sister's gift?" I was missing something, Natalie was awfully happy about the idea. I wouldn't mind driving the car myself.

"No reason whatsoever," I said. Zane jumped into Teegan's arms. I could swear there was a tear in his eye. It was the first time I noticed that he was a little taller than his sister. So many changes and the most surprising was Natalie's acceptance of the car.

"Thank you, thank you!" Zane said.

"Caleb picked it out," Teegan said. Zane surprised me again by hugging Caleb, who was laughing.

Rose was babbling in Grace's arms. She was soaking up the happiness and trying to join in. Our eyes met, and she reached out for me forcing Grace to adjust her grip. I walked over, and Rose wrapped her arms around my neck, and Grace transferred her to me.

The world shifted, and the beauty of my family increased ten fold. Perfection is the love of a child. In Rose, it was bold and forceful.

"She loves you," Teegan said. Not with words, but through the link that Rose had created. I turned and found Teegan smiling at me. Caleb took her hand and the love increased. I reached out, taking Natalie's hand. A moment later, Zane and McGuires had joined the link. This was true power, and we basked in it, sharing our love with the laughing baby in my arms. The spitting image of her mother.

*****

It was almost midnight when the Grace and Jack finally left. Jack got to feed Rose, the human bottomless pit. I was jealous, though Natalie and Grace seemed to take it in stride. Rose had an intense concentration when she ate. The same determination that I had seen in Teegan when she was young. Jack had laughed as he tried to dodge her hands with the spoon. Rose ended up wearing as much food as she ate. If I got up early enough, maybe I could feed her in the morning.

I was putting dishes in the dishwasher when I heard Teegan complain quietly to Natalie. It was the tone she used to use when she was younger and thought we were too strict. I moved to the doorway, just out sight, hoping it wasn't something serious.

"I'm her mother, why does she love him best?" Teegan asked. My first thought was that she was jealous of Caleb. It didn't jibe with what I knew of their relationship. I leaned closer.

"It was the same way with you," Natalie said, "Sam just has a way with babies. It's infuriating sometimes." I smiled to myself. I had a feeling I was Rose's favorite. I knew she was my favorite granddaughter.

"Well, it's not fair," Teegan said, angrier than I had heard her in a long time. Damn. My one real skill was hurting my daughter. I came around the corner to see Teegan, wearing a frown, holding Rose in her arms. Natalie looked concerned. Rose leaned toward me.

"It's not something I can control," I said, reaching for my smiling granddaughter. Teegan rolled her eyes and let Rose come into my arms. "It's probably because she doesn't see me enough," I said, trying to comfort Teegan.

Teegan, then Natalie, broke into laughter and made haste out of the room. It took a second before the smell hit my nose.

"Ah, Rose," I said, waving my hand in front of my face, "you stink." Rose gave me a wide-open silent laugh. "You're stinky," I said as I poked her belly. It was worse than a sewer. She laughed harder, adding drool to the mix. "Stinky, stinky, stinky," I added trying to breathe only through my mouth. I grabbed the flowered baby bag that was strategically left on the couch.

It was like riding a bike... through a sewer and into a manure pile topped with rotting eggs. "They left us," I said to my smiling baby. She was on her back looking up at me. "I hope you know you can always depend on your grandpa. A little smell and the women go running. Not me." Rose waved her arms and kicked her legs, making it twice as difficult to remove the awful mess on her butt. "Let me tell you a story of a guy, a baby, and a desert..."

The End

Epilogue 1 - Zane

Pulling into the parking lot at school was exhilarating. I wasn't usually the one people noticed, but they noticed the 'vette. I pushed key fob to lock the door and walked toward the building as if I had just exited a Ford Pinto. It was a struggle not to smile like a fool.

"Damn, Zane. Where'd you get the ride?" Willard asked me. He was arguably my best friend this year. I kept the news of the 'vette quiet over the weekend fearing my mom would take the keys until I was twenty-one. Her confidence in me was surprising and welcome. I guess she finally figured out I wasn't a child anymore.

"Birthday present," I said as if it happened all the time. "My sister thought I could use a car. You know, relieve the parents of chauffeur duty and all." Everyone was aware of Teegan's newfound fortune, though none knew the true story behind it. I spent most of the last year dodging questions, doing my part to keep the secret, not that anyone would believe me anyway.

"Does your sister know my birthday is coming up?" Willard asked. I hit him in his shoulder, and he laughed after striking me back. "Don't want to share the wealth, huh?"

"Not mine to share," I said, "besides she only did it because I'm an excellent brother. You, on the other hand, are ugly and your mother dresses you funny." I knew my shoulder would be sporting a bruise after he hit me that time. It was hard to laugh and say 'ow' at the same time.

"You're taking me out this weekend. That car is like a babe magnet," Willard said as we split off for our different homerooms. "This weekend!" he said again from down the hall.

Girls that never gave me the time of day before were saying hi. It was almost embarrassing the way they made sure I was looking before they said it. I wasn't used to being the center of attention and could feel the blood rushing to my face as I fumbled out replies. It was difficult to try and maintain the image the car represented. Maybe I needed a leather jacket or something.

It was English where things heated up. Cathy Reynolds sat in front of me. I had always had a thing for her long hair. It was this silky dark brown color that flowed softly down to the small of her back. Willard insisted she was too smart and that dumber and bigger tits were the way to go. Of course, he was an idiot.

Dad always told me that smart women made the man. Sort of a backup when we did stupid things. I never envisioned mom being a back up and mentioned it. I was quickly told that it would be better if mom continued to think she was in charge and that dad was the backup in case the issue ever came up. It didn't take me long to figure out that dad was right about smart women. Things ran better with two brains, even if one of those brains didn't know who was in charge.

The car gave me courage. It was strange that an inanimate object could be so powerful. Instead of sitting silently behind Cathy and dreaming of what may be, I tapped her on the shoulder.

"You got an extra pencil?" I asked. It was a feeble attempt at starting a conversation, but I was still building up to something more concrete.

"Yeah, but it's short an eraser," Cathy said as she fished in her backpack. She turned with the pencil, and I nearly died. It was the smile that hit me and made my mind turn to mush. I almost dropped the pencil as I took it from her hands, those hazel eyes were too close.

"Thank you," I said in broken English. Great, a 'vette driven by a guy who couldn't even talk to a girl. Maybe she'll just turn around before I wet myself or something. She was way out of my league. The league of wimps with no tongues.

"I like your new car," Cathy continued.

"A birthday present from my sister," I said quickly. It came out fast and sounded awkward.

"She must love you," Cathy said, then her smile attacked me again. I think I grinned, but it probably came out all crooked and made me look like I was having a seizure. She was too beautiful for me, I knew that now. All that practice in front of the mirror was useless.

"Yes," I said. A one-word answer. It was all that would come out of my mouth. I could almost smell the sweat I was sure covered my face.

"Better than the bus," Cathy continued. "I'm trying to save up enough to get a used car. My parents said they'd help with the insurance but want me to come up with the cash for the car." She giggled a little, making dimples appear on her cheeks. It was adorable. "I guess they think I'll take better care of it if I pay for it myself."

"I can give you a ride home if you want," I said. I didn't know where it came from. A moment of bravery that weakened as soon as the words left my mouth. I stopped breathing waiting for her to tell me that it wasn't a good idea. I couldn't believe I hung it out there.

"I'd like that," Cathy said, "I can meet you by the gym doors after last class."

"Okay, sure," I said. The words flowed easier. It was only two of them, but they didn't sound like they were spoken through a wet towel. "I'll meet you there." I smiled a real smile. This time, her cheeks reddened and her face lit up.

"It's a date," Cathy said, then turned forward in her seat as Mrs. Hamilton began teaching something I would never learn. My mind could barely comprehend anything but that long hair in front of my eyes. The pencil she had given me was well used, the eraser worn down to its metal jacket. Such a stupid way to start a conversation. I had plenty of pencils with good erasers in my bag. None of them was anything like the one in my hand. A most wonderful stick of wood.

"Are you awake, Mr. Fuller?" Mrs. Hamilton asked. I looked up to find her only a few desks away. There were some muffled laughs that let me know it wasn't the first time she tried to get my attention.

"Yes. Sorry Mrs. Hamilton. Just thinking too hard," I said.

"Well, obviously not about Hamlet," Mrs. Hamilton said with hands on her hips. I had to agree with her, it wasn't about Hamlet. I kept the revelation to myself and pretended to listen as my mind wandered through the fantasy that was Cathy's ride home.

*****

The school day took forever to finish. It was a total waste of my time since nothing the teachers said sank in. The last bell was hours in coming but sounded angelic when it finally sang. It was incredible to see Cathy waiting patiently at the gym doors. At least I was good enough to drive her home.

"Ready?" I asked, struggling not to smile.

"Sure," Cathy replied, her smile had the confidence that I wanted. She wasn't hiding it at all. It was so relaxed and tripled her beauty. I was so far out of my league.

I did everything I was supposed to do. I opened the car door for her and even helped her position her book bag. The whole time we were chatting about nothing important. I was surprised at how easy it was to talk with her. She had a way of keeping the conversation going, leaving me openings that made it simple to continue. I wondered if I was impressive enough. There was a strong desire to not seem the fool or be boring. A girl like her probably had a hundred choices in guys. I needed to be at the top of the list.

"It sure rides smooth," Cathy said as I entered the highway. I could have taken the side roads, but it would have been shorter. Plus the 'vette needed a highway to really shine.

"Should we see what it can do?" I asked. The car got me the girl, and now it was time to show off a bit. Girls like fast cars.

"The speed limit is fine," Cathy said, with a chuckle.

"But it's built for speed," I said and pushed the pedal down. The engine roared, and Cathy sucked in her breath. Her hands went instinctively to the dashboard to brace herself. The speedometer said 75 and I figured what the hell. I pushed harder. Nothing more happened.

Laughter. I could feel my sister laughing, and I could swear my mother was joining in. I looked over at Cathy, and she had relaxed a bit, though her smile had lost its confidence. I think I scared her.

"Um..." I floundered for words. "I think my sister had a governor installed. It won't go any faster." I was so embarrassed. That was why my mother was okay with the car.

"I'm glad," Cathy said, letting out her breath. "She must really love you." I glanced over and saw that her smile had its confidence back. My face felt like it was on fire. Her hand covered mine on top of the gear shift. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." It was the softest hand I had ever felt. So smooth and gentle.

"Oh, I like her," Teegan thought. I smiled at her comment and glanced back at the most beautiful smile the world.

"Me too," I thought loudly. Cathy's hand was still on mine, and I could tell she had no intention of moving it. I had to force myself to return my attention to the road. Then it became effortless. The world shifted and multitasking was simplistic. I glanced over at Cathy as her smile grew. She was as beautiful inside as out. Her hand closed tighter over mine, and I knew that a future date was more than a possibility, it was a requirement. I almost laughed at my idiocy at not seeing it. The way she absently flicked her hair onto my desk in class, and she always bumped my desk when she walked by. It wasn't the car, it was me she liked.

"Your sister really loves you," Cathy said.

"And I her," I said proudly. Strange I never said it out loud before. Cathy removed her hand from mine and Teegan retreated. I glanced over, and Cathy was blushing. "It's kind of a secret, that thing she does. She only did it because I like you."

"I know," Cathy said, then pulled her hair from her back and laid it over her shoulder. It shimmered in the afternoon sun. "You like my hair." I wasn't sure how to answer that. It was always in my fantasies. She looked over coyly, and I knew she had seen too much. It was too late now, Teegan had seen to that.

"Actually, I kind of love it," I said. Her smile made the Sun look dull.

Epilogue 2 - Malkiel Cohen

I had to admit the concert was more entertaining than I expected. Who ever thought violins and a saxophone could produce such beautiful sounds. I wouldn't have come at all, but my wife was impressed that Kato Tetsuzan was in the trio. I thought it was another worthless attempt by the U.S. to do side negotiations with the Palestinians.

Kato seemed to be enjoying himself, almost having a contest with the other violinist. My wife kept leaning into me and smiling. The smile alone was worth the trip. If I remembered my briefing correctly, the other violinist was Caleb McGuire, and he had a strange history for one so young. His wife, Teegan McGuire, somehow inherited the entirety of Corbett Industries. My boss had warned me about being polite and making sure I didn't antagonize someone we might want to have business relations with.

I looked a few seats down and saw Mrs. McGuire with her child in her lap. They were both wearing equivalent smiles and watching Mr. McGuire on the stage. I had to admit, the baby was the most well behaved I had ever seen. She just smiled and waved her arms every time her father looked at her. My son used to do that when I came home from work. It was sad when he grew out of it.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 17 milliseconds