The Making of Vampires Ch. 06

Martin forced his nephew's hand to yank the branch free and use it as a club slamming it against the approaching werewolf. It did little than to push the werewolf back a few feet. The werewolf grabbed hold of Marcus' arm, the one holding the broken branch, wrenching it with a twisting motion splintering bone and the branch dropped. Excruciating pain invaded the injured arm. Martin slammed his nephew's free hand through the werewolf's ribs searching for the creatures beating heart. He felt a strange burning sensation as the blood oozed over his nephew's skin, but he ignored it. He found the pulsating mass, grabbed tightly, and pulled the beating muscle free.

The werewolf looked confused, glanced down at the still beating heart, and shook his head as if denying his death. He dropped. The body twitched, the fur receded, the limbs cracked and popped until a naked, average-sized human man lay dead upon the ground.

Martin ignored the pain radiating from both of Marcus' arms and he moved to engage another werewolf. Suwon screamed and Marcus' beast rose up to protect her pushing Martin out of Marcus' body taking control. The beast announced his presence with a chilling howl as wings sprouted from his back, muscles thickened, and bones enlarged.

He flapped his wings launching into the air to land on the back of the werewolf that had pinned Suwon to the ground. That filthy creature had ripped her shirt and licked at her breasts. The beast bit deeply into the werewolf's neck and jerked the head free from the body.

Blood sprayed into his mouth and onto Suwon. He felt his mouth and face burn where the werewolf blood touched him. He heard the sizzle of fire and smelled charred flesh. Suwon screamed. Her face blistering where the werewolf blood splashed.

The beast's only concern was to free Suwon from the pain. He tried to wipe away the blood, but only created a path of new blisters and left thick chunks of his flesh mixing with the chunks of her flesh.

He never noticed the werewolf coming up behind him ready to slice through his neck to decapitate the vampire. Martin saw it. He tried to call out a warning, but his body remained weak. He tried to reenter Marcus' body, but failed.

Then a shiny silver string flew through the air piercing the werewolf's body. In his injured state, it took Martin a moment to realize that it wasn't a string, but an arrow that sliced through the night leaving a shiny streak in its wake. The werewolf died before its body hit the ground.

Two more of the werewolves succumbed to death as silver arrows pierced their heads or their hearts. The two remaining creatures ran from the clearing. Martin felt other werewolves coming, but darkness entered his mind and his head finally dropped.

Sophia was the only uninjured vampire and stood protectively over Gabriel as she watched the new group of werewolves enter the clearing. She tried to touch the weave of magic to cast a spell, but fear severed her link and she failed. She had no magic. She was helpless.

Sophia picked up a sword realizing it was Martin's. Her eyes found him impaled on the tree. Impaled, but not dead. Had he died, the magic would have let go of him and he would have burst into embers. He didn't move.

The five new werewolves entered the clearing with great confidence glancing around at the injured vampires. A dappled-furred werewolf approached Sophia who lifted the sword with shaking hands. He closed his eyes for the briefest of moments and then stood before her in the guise of a man, a naked man.

He smiled sadly at her. "Miss Vampire, we can help your injured, but not if you attack us."

Sophia asked, "How can I trust your words?"

He moved his hand in a slow arc to indicate the clearing. "Because we could have killed your injured. Even the escaped beast is too concerned with his beloved that he ignores any danger to himself." The man looked at the desperate beast trying to remove the acidic blood from the prone woman, but addressed Sophia. "He needs water to wash the blood or it will continue to burn their flesh. There is a river not far from here. Tell him to wash them both before they lose too much skin. I'm unsure of your healing capabilities and think a skinless vampire might be too gruesome to look upon."

Sophia glanced at Marcus and Suwon. Before she could say anything to the couple, the naked man had moved behind her, grabbed the sword, and twisted it from her hand. She almost screamed, but he had already moved away and dropped the sword onto the ground.

He smiled. "You should thank me. You were cutting your hands."

Sophia had deep gouges in her palms and looked back at the man confused.

He shook his head. "I believe you must not be a soldier. Any soldier knows to grab the hilt and not the blade of a sword. Now, tell your friend to bathe with his woman. We will help the rest of you if we can. The one impaled on the tree has little time left before he dies." He shrugged as if none of that really mattered.

Sophia knew the man spoke the truth. She ran to Marcus' beast whispering in his ear. The beast picked Suwon from the ground and ran in the direction of the river.

The man motioned at an injured and moaning Gabriel with his chin. "May I see if I can help your lover and my friends will do the same with the others?"

Sophia dropped her gaze and felt her cheeks flush. "Um, I prefer you refer to him as my husband." The man smiled broadly. He had never witnessed a vampire blush before.

He heard a low growl emanating from the prone Gabriel and let loose a hearty laugh. "Fear not Mr. Vampire for my lover would not tolerate my interest in Miss Vampire, no matter how enchanting she was."

Gabriel said in a harsh whisper, "Mrs. Vampire to you."

The werewolf chuckled and approached looking at the vampires wounds. "You need blood. You all do. Shall I bring you someone?"

Gabriel shook his head. "We have to be careful. Not all humans are susceptible to our compulsions."

The man raised his furrowed brow as if surprised. "I heard your clan was careful with your humans and didn't kill. I just thought it was as a farmer with his milking goats. You know, caring for his livestock."

Sophia scoffed. "We do not treat anyone like livestock. We remember being human and we don't mistreat others."

He raised his hands as if in surrender and winked at her. "Sorry sweetheart. Your clan doesn't act like the other vampires that I have encountered."

Sophia broke eye contact with the naked man and knelt beside Gabriel who spoke to distract the man from his wife as she was growing uneasy and he felt her fear. "So tell me, why do you know of us and we do not know of you?" Gabriel asked.

The man replied, "Simply because we were around first. You didn't settle in our lands, so we had no need to fight you, but we did keep watch. Your clan killed the brutes that raided the border villages under our protection eliminating the need for us to engage them. You brought order to this land, so we left you in peace and stayed away."

Gabriel stated the obvious. "You are on our lands now."

The man nodded. "Yes, we were chasing the outlaws that you battled. Some of the criminal types will use the Euphoric Times as an excuse for their bad behavior. They murder and convert as many humans as they can."

Gabriel gasped. "We call it the Hoarding because the werewolves hoard as many people as they can for their own. Why?"

The man sighed. "The werewolves created during the Euphoric Times are unstable. They have difficulty fighting madness. Eons ago, my kind discovered that killing any created during the Euphoric Times would transfer power and strength to the killing werewolf if that kill was done through a bite. Power hungry werewolves created as many as they could during the Euphoric Times and then killed them."

Gabriel asked more than stated, "Then you and your clan are above that type of behavior."

The man nodded. "Most of us are. We believe true power comes with age and wisdom." He smiled at Gabriel. "By the way, my name is Bjorn Jorganson."

Gabriel grimaced as he tried to sit up. "My name is Gabriel Morsus."

Bjorn smiled broadly. "You flaunt your vampire heritage in your Latin name. Very funny."

Gabriel raised his eyebrows. "You know Latin?"

Bjorn nodded. "Yes, study kills the boredom of the centuries. Now, can you write a note or give me an item so I can travel safely to the castle to bring back help?"

Gabriel shook his head. "I have nothing to write on and if you take anything back, they will think you our attackers and will fight you."

Sophia cleared her throat. "I can go and I'll bring back help."

Gabriel quickly said, "No. You are out of spells and would have to travel by foot. You may run into more werewolves, the dangerous kind."

Bjorn cautiously said, "I can guard her, if you trust me."

Gabriel answered. "I don't trust you."

Sophia brushed Gabriel's hair from his head. "If he wanted to harm me, he would already have done so. Are we not in more danger with you weakened than if Bjorn helps me to find help? Look at your brother. He doesn't have much time left."

Gabriel wanted to argue, but he realized that his beast had not tried to break free and that convinced him that Bjorn wasn't a danger to Sophia. He nodded his consent.

***

Martin awoke to excruciating pain. Suwon stroked his hair and Marcus sat behind her. Mottled patches of raw bright red flesh covered their faces.

Martin sat up slowly and asked, "What the hell happened to you two?"

Marcus answered, "Who knew werewolf blood burns us like fire. I was worried that poor Suwon wouldn't heal and would feel pain the rest of her life. She almost lost her eyes." Martin looked closer at Suwon's face and saw the uneven flesh around her eyes that he knew would eventually heal.

Just then, August ran over. "Martin is awake. Bring someone."

Gabriel rushed over dragging two healthy and entranced farmers from the village. "Here Martin, drink."

Martin accepted the human's wrist and bit deeply. The gush of blood over his tongue calmed him. His first swallows eased his pain. He drank craving the nourishment and healing power of the human's blood, but stopped before taking too much. He did not want to make the man ill or kill him. He felt the energy surge into his body, felt his body grow stronger, and reached for the second man. He drank more blood. He would need a little rest, but he would be fine. Then he detected werewolves, released his bite on the man, and hissed.

Suwon said, "They helped us. They are not the same ones who fought us."

Martin looked past her to the five naked men standing in the morning light. "They have no clothes."

Bjorn whispered loudly over his shoulder to his friends, "Who knew vampires were so prudish. I always had the impression that vampires were sensual creatures that enjoyed the pleasures of the flesh."

Martin called out loudly, "You're not my idea of sensual pleasure." That brought a giggle from Suwon and a chuckle from the naked man who had been talking.

The scent of blood distracted Martin, calling to him. He stood, looked deep into the woods, and motioned for the others to follow him. August, Gabriel, and Marcus did so, fearing that more werewolves hid in the forest. Martin followed the call of the blood to a shallow depression between two trees, the blood freshly spilled. He heard the weakening heartbeat. He swept aside the leaves and his fangs grew when he saw her face. His beast wanted this woman.

He extended a nail to gash into his wrist to feed her his healing blood, but Gabriel stopped him. "You can't. You are too weak. Take her back to the clearing. Some of my men came from the castle and they have spells that can heal an injured human. They feared that we would overfeed in our injured state and that the humans would need magical intervention."

Martin asked, "Why didn't they use spells to fully heal me?"

Gabriel answered, "Three of my sorcerers used magic until they each passed out, preventing you from dying. Your body wouldn't take anymore. It needed blood."

Martin hadn't realized the severity of his injuries. He had nearly died, but "nearly died" meant that one was still alive. He picked up the injured woman carrying her to the clearing.

***

Weeks passed after the werewolf encounter. Bjorn remained at the castle explaining werewolf tactics to the vampires helping them to create strategies to fight rogue werewolves.

During this time, Martin tried to befriend the injured woman that he found in the woods. She was a druid named Katarina. Her druidic nature prevented her from feeling comfortable within the castle walls and she desperately wanted her freedom to return to nature.

Katarina would not reveal what happened to her in the woods claiming not to remember, but Martin and every other supernatural creature around could sense deception from her. She remembered, but didn't want to share. He believed it had something to do with the boy that he had sensed in the woods and pointedly asked her, but she claimed not to remember anything. Again, he sensed deception, but could not determine if it was about the boy or the whole scene in general.

Katarina asked repeatedly to leave, but Martin could not allow that to happen. Everyone in the castle had instructions to say that she could not leave because the king feared her injuries unhealed. Strangely, no one came to inquire about her. Martin had hoped to discover information from those who knew her, but the mystery of Katarina deepened.

Martin grew morose because Katarina kept rejecting him. He tried to talk to her, but she barely answered him. He hoped to win her over with gifts of clothes and jewelry. She wore only a few items of clothes, washing them as needed, and then left the rest untouched on the table. She left the jewelry untouched as well, those items seemingly not to interest her in the least.

Martin invited her to dine with him in the Great Hall, but she declined claiming that she didn't feel well enough to leave her room. Katarina did little except looked out her windows. Unless she was sleeping, she kept vigil at her windows.

Finally, Martin stopped visiting because it ripped his heart out to have Katarina continuously reject him. He decided to leave her in peace and he picked a spot hidden among the trees. He gazed upon her as she looked out her windows, his heart breaking more with each passing day.

He stopped dining with the rest of the vampires. He stopped discussing battle tactics with Uruku and Bjorn. He stopped seeking the company of his brothers. He only stood among the trees watching Katarina.

Sometime after the first snow, Suwon approached him. Since Katarina's rejection, she was the only one who could visit him without inciting his temper. Therefore, whenever there was a question or a message for Martin, she delivered it.

Suwon cleared her throat as she brushed away the inch of snow that had accumulated on his shoulders. "Katarina wants permission to walk in the woods."

Martin flew to his feet. "Does she want me to walk with her?"

Suwon shrugged. "I wasn't there when she said it, but I doubt it. She never wants anyone around."

Martin looked worried. "Why weren't you there? I asked you to make sure Katarina had whatever she wanted."

Suwon nodded. "Yes, I told the servants that your orders were to grant her whatever she requested. No need for me to be there, also."

Martin scratched the beard and mustache that had grown on his face. He had given up on shaving and other grooming habits. He could not remember the last time he even bathed. "Why do you ignore her? I trusted her to your care."

Suwon gave up on any pretense of calm allowing her voice to rise. "I don't want to be around her because of how she hurts you. I'll be more than lovely when she accepts you, but until then, I don't want to be near the woman."

Martin shook his head. "Please, Suwon. She may be lonely and I need you to make sure everything is okay. She is just confused and upset. Katarina doesn't know what to do."

Suwon sighed loudly. "Fine! I'll go and take care of her even though she tortures you!"

Martin smiled. "Good. Would you ask if she wants me to escort her? If not, then that is fine. Let her believe that she has permission to walk in the woods alone. I'll hide in the treetops to watch over her and we can post other guards hidden in the trees to make sure she is safe. Just let me know what she says."

Suwon replied, "Martin, I keep my drapes drawn on this side of our room so I can't see the woods knowing that you are sad and alone here. After I ask her, I'll go to our room. I'll move the drapes on a window so you can see the firelight so you know I asked. If she wants you to walk with her, I'll open the drapes on a second window. If she doesn't want to walk with you, I'll close the first drapes. I can't bring myself to look you in the face and give you bad news." She turned and walked not waiting for his response.

Martin sat back down on the ground and watched Katarina looking out her window. Eventually, he saw Suwon enter, approach, and speak with Katarina. Then Suwon left. Martin stood to see better the windows of Suwon and Marcus' room. The curtain of the first window opened showing the glow of the fire. He felt a lump swell in this throat hoping beyond anything that the second curtain would open. Then the lump seemed to drop from this throat and settle into his stomach as the curtain closed. Katarina had declined his company.

His beast stirred and then quieted. Martin felt as though he were dying. He hurt inside and begged his beast to end their misery, to do something that would change how his heart ached. There was no response from his beast, just a sense of pain.

A cloaked figure left the double wooden doors that opened into the garden. Katarina walked slowly glancing back to see if anyone followed her. Martin took to the treetops and several others joined him, including Suwon and Marcus. He acknowledged their presence with a quick nod and then focused all his attention on Katarina.

Suwon exchanged a frustrated glance with Marcus. She preferred ripping the druid's throat out, but feared it wouldn't end Martin's pain. Instead, she flittered along the treetops with the other vampires to protect the ungrateful woman.

Katarina meandered through the woods. She brushed away a clump of wet snow on her fur lined leather boots, a gift from Martin. He wanted to court her, but she couldn't allow that. She didn't want to love a city dweller. She wanted to love another druid and live in the wilds that called to her heart.

Through the snow peeked the dried remains of a wildflower. She touched it gently with her finger releasing energy. The plant turned green, grew slightly, and blossomed. She smiled sadly. Her imprisonment had prevented her from seeing the fall blossoms. Katarina had to end her misery, her seclusion from nature. She had to find the poisonous roots that would put her into her final sleep and she searched the snowy ground for some remnant of the poisonous plants.

Long past the darkest hour of night, she leaned heavily against a sleeping willow exhausted. She called to the spirit of the tree to show her the lay of the land hoping it would have sensed the poisonous roots slumbering deep in the frozen ground. All she could see in its memory was a rocky precipice that brought the gentle rains and the water of the melting snow to end its thirst. She almost wanted to cry from frustration, but then a thought struck her. She touched the tree again. Yes, the rocky precipice stood beside a deep cliff. One that she could jump off, smash against the rocks, and die.

High in a nearby tree, Martin saw the most beautiful smile touch her lips. His chest hurt wishing that she would share that smile with him. She walked faster, a little bounce added to each step. He flitted from tree to tree following her in the dark. The other vampires, close behind, scanned the area to ensure no dangers lurked hidden.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 19 milliseconds