• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • The Moment After

The Moment After

12

The Fenway crowd leapt to its feet, roaring their approval for the two squads of warriors, as the ninth inning drew to a close. Todd Castle, America's most well-respected sportscaster and the man who was considered "The Voice Of Baseball", uttered into his microphone to a worldwide audience:

"Folks, you're not dreaming, and this isn't Iowa. We're at Fenway Park, this is Game 7 of the World Series between the Chicago Cubs and the Boston Red Sox, and we're going into extra innings, tied at two runs apiece. How big can you dream? It doesn't get any bigger than this."

The Red Sox fans, as well as the Cubs' fans in attendance, applauded wildly for what was taking place. Each teams' fans had developed a tremendous respect for one another over the last month, and particularly the last week. They felt bonded by having suffered the same setbacks, heartache, and misery that went along with being a fan of their chosen team.

Baseball was once again the focus of a nation. The baseball postseason had not only captured the highest TV ratings in years, but captured the attention of a nation that had long since grown apathetic towards what was once the nation's pastime. People who hadn't watched baseball for years tuned in to this year's postseason to watch the Cubs defeat the pesky Dodgers, and then sweep the heavily favored Pirates in four games. Meanwhile, the Red Sox quickly upended the Rangers, and then they defeated their bitter archrival, the New York Yankees in a grueling seven game series. The Red Sox celebrated their pennant-clinching victory on the hallowed grounds of their opponents' stadium in front of an unappreciative New York crowd.

This World Series had been something that only took place in the movies, as each game had been filled with highlight moments, as well as heartbreak. The Cubs took Game 1 at Fenway, following a masterful pitching performance from their ace Rick Trujillo. The Sox came storming back in Game 2 with an offensive explosion of 12 runs, including two home runs by hometown favorite Tim O'Brien. Game 3 shifted to the Windy City, and saw the Red Sox win a 2-1 pitching duel. Game 4 belonged to the Cubs, as they sent Trujillo back to the mound on three days' rest, and he baffled the Red Sox while the Cubs won 7-2. Game 5 took 17 innings to decide, and saw the Cubs come out on top after Kevin Brewer, a reserve infielder, was sent to the mound in relief during the 16th inning to earn the victory. Not one person left the game early, despite the late finish, and they were all thankful they stayed. Otherwise, they would have missed Cubs catcher Masanushi Arakaki's walk-off, game-winning home run. Game 6 moved back to Boston, where the Red Sox blasted rookie star Eric McFadden for the second time in the Series. They put up 9 runs against him en route to a 10-2 victory, forcing a seventh and deciding game being played on a typically chilly October night in New England. Castle reflected on what has been a magnificent World Series.

"Two teams, two cities, decades of frustration, and only one thing is certain: by the end of the contest, one team will have a curse lifted, while another will have to face a long winter, with dreams of what might have been."

Twenty-seven countries had press members in attendance at the ballpark, and they were transmitting words, as well as live images across the globe. Scalpers were reported to have made as much as $16,000 for one ticket to this series. Houses of worship in the Chicago area, as well as all over New England, held special services prior to the games in order to ask for divine intervention for their favorite team. Those same churches would then stay to view the game among the congregation, following the service. Sports bars across America were packed with patrons, and in some cases, had to turn customers away due to fire safety laws. Many bars even reported running out of beer during some of the games, due to such a huge run on business. Spikes in anxiety attacks had been reported nationwide. Misplaced fans of both teams came together in their new hometowns to provide support and camaraderie for one another during this time; Red Sox fans in Dayton and Oklahoma City met for the first time, while Cubs fans in Tacoma and Birmingham united for a common cause of their own. Businesses all over the country closed early on this night so that their employees could watch the final baseball game of the season, even if they weren't fans of either team. Many fans were born of this series, and even the closest of families were divided over the outcome.

One of those families was the O'Brien family in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Tim O'Brien had been a gifted athlete his entire life, excelling in several sports in high school. He earned a scholarship to play football at Boston College, but opted to take another scholarship he'd earned so that he could play baseball for Georgia Tech. During his four years there, the outfielder helped his team to two national title games, winning one. He was eventually drafted by the Montreal Expos, but later traded as a minor leaguer as part of a multi-player deal. Because of the trade, he was able to fulfill his dream of playing for his favorite team, the Boston Red Sox. Tim quickly became one of baseball's most popular, as well as highest-paid stars. At the peak of his career, during a highly publicized event, he had even taken a pay cut in order to stay in Boston, because he felt retiring as a member of the team he'd grown with his entire life meant more than any amount of money that could be offered to him.

His younger brother, Terrence, had also been gifted, but not as much as Tim. He was a good athlete, but always seemed a few steps behind Tim in terms of athleticism. He made it to the majors, as well, but labored much longer in the minor leagues, bouncing from small town to smaller town on buses that seemed on the verge of breaking down at any given moment. He'd finally been called up to "The Show" earlier this year, because of an injury to a member of his parent clubs' bullpen.

And now, Terrence O'Brien sat in the dugout of Fenway Park, wearing the uniform of the Chicago Cubs.

Surprisingly little had been made of the brother vs. brother story in the media, most likely because Tim was a major league superstar, while Terrence was a role player, likely to be sent back to the minors after the Series ended. Jerseys and T-shirts showcasing Tim's #17 were scattered heavily throughout the stadium, with fans of both him and the team displaying their loyalty proudly, while Terrence's #77 indicated that he was living on borrowed time in the big leagues. Both had taken different paths to the major leagues, but they had shared the same dream since childhood: to win the World Series.

Boston took the field in the top of the 10th inning, as the Red Sox faithful continued to cheer on their sports heroes. Tim took his place in left field, in the shadow of the infamous 'Green Monster' wall that adorned his spot on Fenway's legendary field. Boston reliever Luke Murdock took the mound, and quickly retired the first two batters the Cubs sent to the plate. Center fielder and Cubs fan favorite Mickey Washington then stepped up, and after earning a 3-0 count, launched a rocket into left field. Tim turned his eyes toward the skies, focusing on the ball, and racing back toward the Monster in an effort to make the catch. He quickly saw, however, that any effort would be fruitless, as the ball sailed over his head, over the fans sitting on the Monster, and past the famous Citgo sign into the Boston night. Washington rounded the bases, and touched home plate to give the Cubs a 3-2 lead. Murdock kicked the dirt on the mound, cursing in frustration, as the Cubs' next hitter, Derek Bolder stepped up. Murdock forced a ground out to third base, retiring Bolder to end the inning. The Red Sox ran to the dugout, needing to score one run in order to continue, and two to leave the ballpark tonight victorious. They would send their 9th, 1st and 2d place hitters to the plate, with Tim O'Brien hoping to get a chance in the clean-up spot.

Tim couldn't get the image of the home run out of his mind. It felt like a moment in which time had actually stopped. He could visualize the ball spinning furiously as it whizzed over his head, far out of his ability to make a play.

"The Chicago Cubs are three outs away, folks," Castle reported to a massive viewing audience. "They'll send their best reliever, Joe Rodriguez to the mound, when we come back."

Tim tossed his glove onto the bench as the other players bustled around in the dugout, preparing to avenge the run they gave up in the top half of the inning. He strode to the batting rack, grabbed his helmet and bat in anticipation of a chance to gain an at-bat. Meanwhile, fireballer right-hander Joe Rodriguez was on the mound, warming up for a chance to close out the Sox' strongest hitters, and to head back home with a title.

The Fenway crowd hadn't sat down since the 7th inning stretch. The nervous feeling throughout the stadium was almost paralyzing. They broke into loud cheers as the bottom of the order, third baseman Ken Enriquez, stepped up to the plate. Chicago's Rodriguez got him to ground out to short for the first out. Leadoff hitter Darryl Christian stepped up next, popping out to shallow left. The Red Sox were down to their final out. Many of the Boston faithful were seen to drop to their knees in the stands, offering prayer to their deity of choice. Players from both dugouts were seen with rosary beads in their hands, each praying for a different outcome. Speedy second baseman Ricardo White stepped up.

White fouled off the first pitch offered to him, then took a ball high and outside. He swung and missed at Rodriguez' next offering, a 98 MPH fastball. The Red Sox were down to their last strike. Rodriguez then threw another ball, low and inside to even the count at 2-2. Rodriguez then reared back, and delivered another fastball right down the middle, which White jumped all over. He swung the bat hard, sending the ball whizzing back towards the mound. It ricocheted off of Rodriguez' pitching shoulder, and he quickly fell to the ground, grabbing his shoulder, screaming in pain. The ball bounced to the ground, rolling slightly toward third base. Cubs' third baseman Joe Reilly scooped it up, thought of throwing it, but when he looked to first, saw that it was too late, as White had already crossed the bag. The Cubs' hopes were still alive, but their relief ace was writhing in agonistic pain on the ground. Chicago's trainers raced onto the field.

"OH MY! Rodriguez is down, and he's in serious pain," Castle announced. "We'll go to a break, and come back."

The next image that TV viewers saw from Fenway was that of Rodriguez being helped off of the field, unable to continue. Cubs' manager Mac Harris looked at the field, and saw left-handed batter Tim O'Brien standing by, waiting for his at-bat. He knew that the decision he was about to make would be questioned all over the country, win or lose. He felt, though, that it was the best decision he could make for his team. He picked up the dugout phone to the bullpen, and made his request.

Castle's next words would bring the Series' already-heightened drama to a zenith: "Folks, how about this for a finish to this Series?" Castle said. "In from the bullpen is southpaw Terrence O'Brien, brother to the batter standing on deck, Tim O'Brien. Can this be more intense?"

The crowd's cheers erupted yet again, as the knowledgeable Fenway fans absorbed what was happening; a duel between hometown brothers would decide not only a championship, but perhaps the fate of a city. Some fans were thinking that, either way, a Bostonian would be the hero. Others didn't care that Terrence was from Bean Town; all they cared about was that the Sox earned the victory.

Terrence ran to the mound, nodding respectfully to his older brother standing in the on-deck circle, and began warming up. As is customary for Major League Baseball when a pitcher is injured, his replacement was given as much time as needed to loosen up his arm. Tim began swinging his bat to and fro, and like his brother, had not expected this turn of events. During their lives, they had played many games on the same field, suffering many victories and defeats together, but they had never competed against each other, nor faced off individually. Not during interleague play, not in college, not even in the games they played as children. They had always won or lost together. Now, fate had pitted them against each other in perhaps the most viewed sporting event of all time.

"O'Brien's getting his throws in. He was a late season call-up this year, going 2-3 this season for the Cubs, with 2 saves. His ERA was 4.71 in the regular season. In the Series, he's made one appearance, in the epic Game 5, pitching 2/3 of an inning. Now, he stands on the mound representing the Wrigley faithful back in Chicago. One thing's for sure; win or lose, Boston will have given birth to a hero tonight."

Terrence and Tim had never even imagined that they would have to face off in a situation like this. With the emotion running high for both teams, the factor of blood against blood would bring what was already a magical Series to a bittersweet ending for one brother.

Terrence signaled to the umpire that he was warmed up, and the umpire shouted "PLAY BALL!" The stadium actually began to shake as Boston fans continued their cheers. Tim O'Brien stepped to the plate, to face his twin brother in the showdown of the Series.

"Here we go, ladies and gentlemen. Mano y mano, brother versus brother, for the World Series. Believe it or not, these two have never faced one another at any level of the game."

Tim took two final warm-up swings before stepping into the batter's box. He dug into the dirt, and measured his bat against the plate. He stared down his brother on the mound, who nodded an acknowledgement to his catcher, Nolan Burton, of the pitch call delivered. Terrence stepped back, wound up, and delivered his first pitch.

Ball high and outside, for Ball 1. The crowd cheered. Terrence received the ball back, checked the sign, and delivered again.

Called strike on the outside corner, evening the count at one. Just as quickly as the crowd had erupted with cheers, they fell nervously silent. Ricardo White took a lead from first.

Terrence checked White out of the corner of his eye. He quickly made a throw to first, but White beat the throw back to the base. The crowd vocalized their disdain, wanting Terrence to concentrate on the batter at the plate. Terrence dug back into the mound, looking into his brother's eyes, then his catcher's. He received the next sign, wound up, and delivered the pitch.

Tim fouled the ball off towards the 1st base seats. "STRIKE TWO!" Castle shouted into the mike. The capacity crowd fell eerily silent.

Terrence received a new ball from the plate umpire, and massaged it with his hands. He reached down to pick up the rosin bag to remove the sweat from his hands. He dropped the bag, re-focusing on the task at hand. Meanwhile, his brother took one step out of the box, adjusted, and dug back in. Terrence delivered the pitch.

"In the dirt!" shouted Castle. White took off from first as Burton leapt up, and flung off his catcher's mask to chase down the ball rolling toward the backstop. White arrived at second base standing up as the crowd roared their approval. Burton retrieved the ball, made sure that the base runner was staying put, then tossed the ball back to Terrence. He caught the ball, checked the runner, and then prepared to deliver his next pitch. He took the sign, wound up, and threw.

"Ball three! Full count on O'Brien, from O'Brien," Castle said. "How much pressure can you stand?" Again, various fans in the crowd fell to their knees in prayer, others turned away from the field, too afraid to watch. Terrence received the ball back from Burton, and watched as his twin brother dug in at home plate. Tim measured his swing one more time, before preparing for the next pitch. Terrence received the sign, wound up, and delivered the pitch.

CRACK!

Tim swung with as much effort as he could muster.

"There's a drive...to right-center!" The Fenway crowd began to go berserk with glee, as the ball began to take flight high above the field. Every eye in the park was focused on the ball as it barreled toward the outfield. It seemed that the Curse of the Bambino was seconds away from being lifted. Their cheers were deafening.

"Washington runs back, back, back....!" Mickey Washington trained his vision on the ball, as it sailed toward the center field wall. Tim dropped the bat, and began racing toward 1st base, while White was speeding toward 3rd base with no intention of slowing down until he crossed home plate. Terrence first saw the ball bounce off of Tim's bat, then turned his eyes away. He was sure that the arc of the ball would carry it out of the park, cruelly ending the Cubs dream. He began walking toward the dugout, with his head hung low. His childhood dream had become his worst nightmare; he would now be 'the goat' of the World Series.

Tim rounded first base, turning his eyes toward left field. He saw the left field umpire lift his right arm, then make a clenched fist. The umpire then began to walk away from his position.

"CAUGHT!" shouted Castle. "He caught it! Washington caught the ball! That's it! Ladies and gentlemen, it is next year! The Chicago Cubs are the champions of baseball!" The crowd groaned almost in unison as the reality washed over them that their Red Sox had come inches away from winning, only to have their dream shattered yet again. Washington began running in from center field, the ball still clenched tightly in his glove, to celebrate the victory with his teammates. Halfway between 1st and 2nd base, Tim fell to his knees, and then covered his face in the dirt. He could feel someone leap over him as they headed toward the pitching mound in celebration.

A scattering of applause came from the Cubs fans in attendance. The air was also pierced with cries of lament from the Red Sox fans:

"NOOOOOOOO! NO! NO! NO!"

"I DON'T FREAKING BELIEVE IT!"

"ROT IN HELL, BABE RUTH!"

The sounds of the individual fans' sentiments seemed louder to Tim than the nearly thirty six thousand voices in attendance had together. Tim remained on the ground, his ears now trained on the congratulatory yells to one another of his opponents. For a moment, he thought of his younger sibling being underneath the pile that surely existed by this point. After all, he was the one to throw the final pitch in the Series, and history would remember that one brother retired another. Almost immediately, Tim suddenly felt two arms grabbing him, and pulling him to his feet.

Castle began waxing poetic. "I am reminded of the words of the late commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti, who said of this great game, 'It breaks your heart, it is designed to break your heart'. Those words have never been truer, perhaps, than at this moment in time. We have witnessed an amazing seven game World Series, and baseball will be hard-pressed to match it again. I know it may be no comfort, but perhaps the Boston Red Sox and their fans can take solace in the fact that, in some way, they have eased the hearts of kindred spirits, those being the spirits of the Chicago Cubs, and their fans."

Television viewers saw images of elated Cubs fans dancing on Waveland Avenue, outside world-famous Wrigley Field in Chicago. They also saw celebratory scenes from other parts of the city, as well as from all over the country. Many networks interrupted their normal broadcasts with the news that the Billy Goat Curse had been exorcised, and that the Cubs would return home victorious. Oceans of tears were shed nationwide, some in joyful elation, and others in agonistic pain. Celebrations went on late into the night not only for the Cubs' victory, but also for a World Series showdown that would likely never be matched again for competitiveness, emotion, and desire.

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • The Moment After

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 93 milliseconds