The Perfect Pieces Ch. 02

"You ever bring a chair out here and just sit?"

"It's been awhile," I answered, "I used to do it a lot the first couple of years." I wondered why I stopped. It was so peaceful watching the water flow by. I remembered reading for hours on the dock stinking of sunscreen. "The river is the northern border of the property. The other side is owned by the Crudgmans. I met them once a few years ago." The Crudgmans never mowed and left their land to nature.

"Doesn't it get lonely?" Amber asked, her eyes remaining on the river.

"I kind of like it that way," I answered, slightly embarrassed about it. Admitting one is a hermit is not an easy thing to do. I had proudly come to terms with it a long time ago. Saying it out loud made me second-guess it all over again. Amber smiled. It was soft and knowing.

"The rest of the world doesn't exist out here," she commented, "there's a lot of appeal to that." I could see she wanted to hide from it all as well. My mouth, as always, moved faster than my brain.

"You could stay for a while," I started strong and ended in a sloppy whimper, "that is if you needed to think things through or you just needed time. I mean..."

"I would like that," Amber thankfully interrupted my rambling, "just for a couple of days." A happiness I didn't fully understand overtook me. I had never met anyone who understood this place. Understood why I loved it. Understood and respected me for it. I hadn't had a new friend in so long, I didn't remember how it felt to connect.

"Then we have time," I said. My smile must have been a silly thing. I pointed to the west. "Let's walk along the river and I'll show you the rest." It was a leisurely walk that Amber seemed to enjoy as much as I did. We passed small forests of cattails that had taken hold next to the river, with iridescent blue butterflies silently flying among them. It couldn't have been a more perfect day to show someone around. We went south when we hit boundary marker - an old squared cement pillar that stuck about a foot out of the ground with parcel numbers etched into the sides. It was put in well before I bought the land, the result of a survey that solved a land dispute with the previous owners and one of my neighbors.

Though I knew my way, the trees were a bit thicker here. I never mowed this far west, preferring the land stay more natural. The thick trees kept most of the foliage to a minimum, and I kept the dead fall from piling up. I enjoyed Amber's delight at experiencing the woods. No trails or roads to interfere with the connection. We had to jump a small feeder stream, about two feet wide, which seemed to please her. She had the outdoors in her blood. I really liked that about her. My ex loved concrete and tall buildings. The contrast between her and Amber could span a gap wider than the Grand Canyon. We reached the road we had driven in on and followed it to my driveway entrance. There wasn't much traffic, so it didn't really detract from the walk.

"Can I see your workshop?" Amber asked, when the conversation shifted back to my stained glass. I loved the idea, but my stupid brain started second-guessing me again. She was incredibly diligent in wanting what I wanted. Indirect compliments. I hated myself for thinking.

"Sure," I said, heading up the driveway. She walked next to me at a respectful distance. I wondered if I was being a helpful hero or just a sucker. I wanted my mind to shut up. We had a few minutes before we arrived so I attempted to ruin everything. It was always my way.

"Could I get in trouble for helping you?" I asked. Amber's expression lost its softness. I should have just trusted her. I could be a happy sucker for a few days.

"I don't think so," she replied, slowing to a stop, "but you might." She looked at me with her hard eyes. "I can leave if you want." I didn't want. I only wanted to know if she was bullshitting me so she could stay.

"I...no, I don't want you to leave...It's just...do you really like it here?" I slaughtered my sentences trying to merge them with my thoughts. They were as indecisive as I was. A moron with a mouth.

"Oh," Amber said, her eyebrows lifting, "you think I'm telling you what you want to hear." I shrugged my shoulders. She laughed. I took a step away. "No..no," she said, holding her hand over her mouth trying to control herself for my benefit. "Mark, I've been thinking the same thing about you. All this beauty," she gestured over the grounds, "asking if I wanted to stay, talking about the music we shared." Her smiled grew, "I thought you were going to make a pass at me or something." She was worried about the same thing.

"But, you agreed to stay," I pointed out.

"My mind keeps telling me to go," she said, "I'm a mess inside. One second you're the nicest guy I've met in a long time and the next...well...let's just say I'm wary." I cracked a smile.

"I'm not good at dealing with people," I said, "I avoid them mostly. You're the first person who seems to get this place, and I was afraid you were taking me for a ride."

"We have trust issues," Amber said with humor in her voice.

"We did," I observed.

"We did," she agreed and held out her hand. I took it in mine. "Now take me to your workshop and show me your etchings." I had to laugh. Her timing was really good. I took her to my workshop.

Continued...

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 62 milliseconds