• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • The Unexpected

The Unexpected

12

"Chase! There's a phone call for you in the office." A gruff looking commander yelled out during the middle of a training session. A short slender woman with fatigues that were completely soaked from the rain and mud broke formation and quickly hauled butt over to the closest office. She was handed a phone receiver without any further explanation to identify the caller.

"Madison Chase?" a man on the other end of the line asked.

"Yes, this is she." the muddy woman responded.

"This is Doctor Adams from Washington Memorial Hospital. I regret to inform you that earlier today your mother, Marilyn Michaels, passed away."

Slam. A fist hit the table as her heart broke inside her chest. Madison fought back the urge to cry. Her mother was her only known family and was her closest friend. Before joining the U.S. Navy, she spent hours with her mom just hanging out and talking.

Madison had been raised by Marilyn who was a single parent. They did not have much but Madison always had everything she needed. Marilyn made it a priority to surround her daughter with love and support regardless of anything else going on in her life.

"Hello? Are you still there?" Dr Adams called out.

"Um, yes sir. I am still here." Madison said trying to regain her inner strength. "Wh...what happened?" she asked hesitantly.

"All I can tell you is that she was dead on arrival when the ambulance reached her residence. There are some documents that need to be signed and we were told that you are her next of kin. When can you come in to finalize the paperwork?" the doctor asked coldly.

"Um, I'm not sure doctor. I am in Colorado at a Naval training base." Madison answered as her brain tried to figure out what she had to do to request a leave of absence. It might be better for her to stay here and keep busy rather than having time for her emotions to smother her. "I need to talk with my C.O. Can I get a number to call for the appropriate contact when I have more information?"

The doctor rattled off a phone number and told her that it would be better if the matter was dealt with sooner rather than later. He also mentioned that there were detectives there wanting to talk with her. He proceeded in providing her the contact information for them as well.

Madison hung up the phone in complete shock. Her mother was healthy. She was vibrant and active and young in comparison to other friends' parents. What in the world happened to her? I just spoke with her last week and she sounded great. She was gardening and making plans with her bridge group.

After standing and staring at the phone for a few moments, Madison slowly walked over to the C.O.'s office and knocked on the door. He gave her permission to enter. As soon as he saw her face, he knew there was something wrong. He asked her to sit and gave her permission to speak freely.

"Sir, I was just told that my mother has. . . um, well, she has died, sir." Madison choked out still fighting back the tears that desperately tried to fall.

The C.O. said nothing but kept looking at Madison. He had four sons, but always felt that if he had a daughter she would be like Madison. She was brave and tough and would never give up at anything. Being in the Navy meant that emotions were a sign of weakness, but Madison had always been able to show just the right amount appropriate for the situation. The men and women on her team had confidence in Madison as their leader and considered her their friend as well. It was a hard balance to maintain.

Today was the first day the C.O. saw Madison struggle with her emotions. He could tell that she wanted to break down and cry but that she was fighting it with everything she had. He admired her strength and courage.

"How much time do you need?" the C.O. finally asked.

Madison looked up at him silently trying to decide what she wanted to do in terms of staying or going. "Sir, the policy is for two weeks bereavement leave. I don't think I need that much time, probably just a few days."

The man in his crisp uniform sitting across the wide oak desk nodded back at Madison. "Take the time you need. I'll submit the forms. You can leave immediately." Madison started to rise and then realized he had not dismissed her. "Madison, I am sorry for your loss. Please let me know if there is anything I can do during this difficult time."

They looked at each other briefly before the C.O. dismissed Madison. She turned from his office and went straight to the barracks. There were so many calls and decisions to make. Her first priority was airline tickets and then she needed to pack.

Roughly thirty-six hours later, a taxi was pulling up to the home where Madison grew up. It looked the same as when she last saw it four years ago. It was a small three bedroom cape-code style house that had faded yellow siding and flowers along the straight sideway leading to the bright red front door.

After jiggling the small metal key, the lock finally clicked to release as Madison opened the door. She half expected her mom to come bounding down the stairs with open arms. Madison always teased her mom saying that she hugged too tight. Marilyn response was that mothers have to hold their children tightly so that they can cover them with love and prayers. It used to make Madison roll her eyes, but just the thought made her now want to cry. Every painful reminder of her mother just kept hitting her heart and nearly taking her breath away.

Madison walked through the house and headed toward the room that had been her bedroom growing up. She gently placed her single bag on the bed. Everything looked the same, as if she never left. There was no dust and the windows were crystal clear. The bedding even smelled freshly laundered.

The phone suddenly rang startling Madison. She grabbed the handset on her nightstand and answered. Madison panicked briefly as she wasn't sure how to answer the phone. It technically was no longer her home. She had a different last name from her mom. Should she answer it as Michaels residence or Chase residence or Marilyn's home or what? She finally settled with a simple "Hello?"

"Yes, this is Fred Gentry and I am looking for a Miss Madison Chase?" a masculine voice with a southern accent poured out.

"This is Madison."

"Miss Chase. I am a lawyer that was hired by the late Marilyn Michaels to set up her last will and testament. I have been informed that she passed two days ago and I need to make an appointment for the will reading. Will you be available tomorrow around noon?"

"Um, yes sir. Tomorrow at noon will be fine." Madison answered stoically. "Where is the reading to be held?"

"If you have no objections, I would like to come to the residence Ms Michaels owns. I assume that is where you are currently staying, is it not?" he responded.

"Yes sir. I am here. I will see you tomorrow then. Thank you." Madison said before clicking the receiver back down. Wow, they certainly don't waste any time do they?

Madison decided that she needed to treat this like she would any Navy mission. She made a mental note of the people she needed to contact and the list of questions she had to get answered. Then she began making phone calls. Since there was no known extended family, she had no one to call and update. She did phone a few of Marilyn's closest friends and asked them to call anyone else who may need to know. Madison also left messages with the hospital administration office and the detectives. She contacted the local paper for the obituary and the social security office to get the forms needed. Apparently she needed a death certificate before she could do too much in terms of cancelling subscriptions and insurance and such.

A yawn escaped reminding Madison that she had barely slept since receiving the tragic news. She decided to curl up on her bed and sleep.

During the official reading of the will, Mr. Gentry, the lawyer, hands Madison a large envelope that containing a few photos, a smaller sealed envelope and a long hand written letter. The letter reminds Madison that her mother loved her very much. It also identifies her father. There is a plea from her mother that is anything happens to her, that she wants Madison to seek out her father and give him the sealed letter. Madison vows to fulfill her mother's last request.

She discovers that her biological father lives and works inside a large campus - Logan Square. He apparently has a very secretive life and does not often deal with the public directly, although he does have a well known reputation.

Logan Square is a privately owned area of land that has three sides surrounded by woodland and one side surrounded by water. It is like a private gated community that runs almost as a completely independent town. There is housing and a marketplace and business units. The public is not allowed but visitors are often hosted in one of the two large business units near the entrance that are both several stories high and look like the common mini sky rise. The center of the campus hosts a large plantation like building that houses the community leaders. There are several smaller housing units spread throughout the campus both around the center home and in the wooded areas.

Several phone calls later, Madison has been continuously denied an appointment with Mr. Chase. It is awkward when the person on the phone asks her why she is seeking a meeting with man. She doesn't want to tell just anyone the purpose for her visit since it is personal and she would rather be the one to tell this man that there is a good chance he is her father. She decides that she will have to resort to other tactics.

Using her Navy EOD training, Madison sneaks onto the campus and successfully makes it to the main office without being discovered. She arrives at a private office and requests a meeting with Mr. Chase. The male assistant sitting at a desk outside the office glares at her and asks if she has an appointment. When Madison admits that she does not have an appointment, the man tells her that she must leave.

Madison turns to leave, but then forces her way past the man and opens the office door. There is a large slightly grey haired man behind a behemoth wooden desk. Four other large men whom appear to be about the same age are sitting on the opposite side. All five men look up at Madison surprised at the interruption. Madison apologizes for intruding but insists she must meet with Mr. Chase for just a few minutes. She says that her mother, Marilyn Michaels, told her it was important. Upon hearing the name, Mr. Chase has a look of shock which he quickly recovers. He tells Madison that if she gives them a few minutes to finish that he will join her shortly. Madison nods and retreats, closing the door behind her. She sits in the waiting area ignoring the angry stares she is getting from the assistant that she bypassed.

After about fifteen minutes, the office door opens and the five large men walk out. Mr. Chase follows them and invites Madison back into his office. Once she walks in, he closes the door behind her and proceeds to his desk. Madison again apologizes for barging in uninvited. Mr. Chase asks her how she gained entry to the campus and the building. He seems impressed when Madison vaguely explains that she walked in unnoticed. Changing topics, she goes on to explain that her mother, Marilyn, passed away a week ago and her last request was that Madison seek out Mr. Chase. Madison has reason to believe that Mr. Chase is her biological father. The whole time Madison is talking she notices that a variety of emotions pass across the man's face. She hands him the sealed letter and explains that her mother left it for him. Madison waits while Mr. Chase reads the lengthy note. Once he is finished, he looks up at Madison curiously.

Mr. Chase admits to Madison that he was deeply in love with her mother and was crushed when she suddenly left without any explanation. He said that he spent quite a bit of time and money trying to find her but was never successful in finding any trace of her. Marilyn never mentioned to him that she was pregnant before she left.

The man is broken hearted and saddened to hear that Marilyn has passed and that he will never again be with the love of his life. He is however, ecstatic to find out he has a biological daughter. He explains to Madison that he is happy she sought him out and he would like nothing more than the opportunity to get to know her better. He always wanted to have a family and now he does. Plus, Madison looks like the spitting image of her mother, and Mr. Chase jokes how she was fortunate not to inherit his looks.

After chatting with Mr. Chase for just a little while, Madison is able to relax. She was not sure if she would be met with rejection or disbelief. It's probably not uncommon for a wealthy man to have several individuals claim to be an heir. Since her announcement, this man has not once asked her to prove her allegation.

"Sir?" Madison asks. "I don't want you to think that I showed up here after all this time just to try and claim rights to your fortune or anything. I would be more than happy to take a paternity test. The only reason I am here is to complete the last task my mom asked of me. I hope she explained that in her letter. I have a letter from her as well if you want to read it." Madison reached into her pocket and pulled out an envelope that was folded in half.

Mr. Chase shook his head. "Please, Madison, call me Charles. And when you feel more comfortable, I would be honored if you would call me Dad or Father." He paused to watch her expression, which never changed. "I trusted your mother with all my heart. I know that you are my daughter. There is no question in my mind about that. There may be others who are not as convinced as I am, but that is their problem."

They continue talking about her childhood and upbringing. Places that she lived and things she liked to do. Madison admits that her mom had to bribe her to do well in school by telling her that she would buy her a car as soon as she was of legal age to drive as long as Madison got straight A's all through school. Her first car turned out to be a brand new Camaro that was Battleship Gray. It is still sitting covered up in her mom's garage.

Charles could not learn enough about this beautiful young lady that was his flesh and blood. He finds out that Madison is currently doing her second tour in the Navy. While women are not yet allowed to become Navy Seals, Madison has worked her way onto the Explosive Ordinance Disposal team (EOD). Her job is very dangerous, but she loves every minute of it.

Talking about her current career made Charles wonder what Madison was planning on doing now that her mom is gone and she learned about him. He has never been one to by shy, so he asks her about what she is going to be doing in the near future. She admits that she has no clue. The Navy allows two weeks for bereavement. After that she has two more months in her tour before she has to sign on for more time or retire from the Navy. Before hearing about her mom, she had plan on staying for another tour with the Navy. Now, her priorities seem jumbled. She is going to take the time she has to think about what she really wants. Charles asks if she would consider staying on the campus so that they can continue to get to know each other. Madison readily accepts.

Charles tells her that he will make arrangements to get her setup with a room and all the security information she will need to get on the campus without having to be sneaky. He has more meetings planned today, but would like for his top man to show her around the campus and introduce her to some of the other members.

Before he proceeds, Charles admits to Madison that there is something critical that he needs to explain to her. Logan Square is a community for a certain type of person. He warns her that what he is about to tell her is highly confidential and that she needs to keep it within the confines of the campus. Charles also warns that what is about to tell her may scare her and that he hopes she would trust him as her mother did and not flee. Madison nods obediently, having been trusted with government secretes for years.

He starts by telling her the history of a people who had a special ability to change their physical form in order to hunt for food that was needed to survive. Finally deciding to just come out and say it, Charles tells Madison that he is a werewolf. As he speaks he carefully watches Madison's reaction trying to prepare for the worse possible reaction. He doesn't want to lose the daughter he just recently learned he had.

Madison sits silently just digesting what she has heard. The time seems to tick by so slowly for Charles as he wants her to say something. She opens her mouth but quickly closes it. He can tell she is thinking.

"Um, you're a werewolf. What does that mean exactly?" she asks calmly.

"It means that me, and all the people who live on this campus, can shift into a different form, the form of a wolf. I am sure you heard stories and watched movies. Some of it is true, but most of it is Hollywood's version of entertainment. We are all allergic to silver. We don't have to change for the full moon although we typically feel a desire to change during that time. Like humans, we don't condone killing people but there are always those who are bad or rogue. We have our own governing body and legislation that we are to follow. Anyone that breaks the laws gets hunted and punished accordingly."

"Will you show me?" Madison asks, not quite sure she is really prepared for this. She has encountered some unfathomable things in the last eight or so years, but this has to be one of the biggest surprises.

"I will." Charles replies solemnly. He is surprised as the calmness with which Madison is approaching this information. It is going much better than he expected.

Standing behind his desk for some coverage, Charles removes his clothing. He explains to Madison that wolves are not shy about their physical forms, but he understands that she is probably quite uncomfortable. Madison hears a crunching sound that reminds her of the noise her bones make when they break. Charles does not appear to be in pain as she sees him drop to the floor. She blinks and then there is a huge gray wolf standing in the office where Charles has been. She gasps but then recovers realizing she is responding like a child and not a trained professional.

The wolf walks around the desk and approaches Madison with caution. She is looking at him critically taking in his form. He is definitely larger than the other wolves she has seen before at the zoo. His paws are as big as the palm of her hand and his muzzle is longer than her forearm. The wolf opens his mouth panting and she sees his large canines.

Surprisingly, Madison does not feel afraid of this creature. She sees Charles eyes looking back at her from within the wolf. Slowly, she reaches out her hand and touches the wolf on the top of his head. He pushes into her hand and she deepens her grip in the soft thick fur.

"Wow, this is kinda cool." She finally gushes. "Can you understand me?"

The wolf nods.

"Does it hurt to change?" she asks.

The wolf shakes his head then walks back around behind the desk.

More crunching and then Charles stands up and redresses. Madison is still sitting and watching Charles carefully. She waits until he sits back in his chair before speaking.

"Um, that was very interesting. Thank you for being so honest with me. I am sure that was not easy for you." She says graciously.

"I am grateful that you did not run away screaming. Being a wolf is as much a part of my life as breathing. It is not something I would ever keep from you. In fact, secrets are not my thing. I may have to keep certain things private for the protection of my pack, but please know that I will not hesitate to tell you anything you want to know. I would like it very much if there were no secrets between us. Trust is something that is earned and comes with time. I hope by me showing you my biggest secret that you will come to trust me."

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • The Unexpected

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 138 milliseconds