The Way You Say My Name Ch. 05

“Someone,” Heath flashed Megan a brief grin, “called to tell me that you might be in some kind of trouble. Wanna tell me why I had to hear that my baby brother needed a hand from a third party, and not from the man himself?”

Brandon said, “The kid seems to have a problem with the whole asking for help concept. I fully expect to have to force him to come stay with Nate and me.”

Heath nodded. “Ah, yes. Guess the ‘kiss that rocked Plunkett High’ didn’t go over too well with Ma and Pa Carver, huh?”

Jamie and Dillon both blushed, but it was Dillon who said, “Good news travels fast. Let’s just say Mom and Dad now have one son, and it ain’t me.”

Heath’s grin was pure mischief. “In that case, they won’t have any offspring left when they find out you’re living with me.”

Dillon thought maybe his ears needed cleaning. “With you?”

“Yep.” Heath glanced back at Brandon. “I know you asked squirt here to come stay with you and the Doc, Sheriff, but you guys are still newlyweds. The last thing you need is some snot-nosed kid to look after.” When Brandon started to protest, Heath said, “Besides, I moved out because I couldn’t stand living under old Adolf Carver’s roof any longer.” His eyes softened as they focused on his little brother. “The only drawback to not living with them anymore was missing Dillon.” The lightness came back into his voice. “This’ll give us a chance to catch up.”

Brandon nodded. “I can understand that, but do you have enough room at your place?”

“It’s a one-bedroom apartment, but I have a fold-out couch.”

Brandon started to speak again, but Dillon stepped in with, “It’s just until I find my own place, anyway, Sheriff. Like I told you before, I’ve been expecting this to happen, and I’m prepared.”

“Look, Dillon, there’s no need to find a place of your own. Nate and I would be glad to have you for as long as you want to stay. That way, you could save all your money for when you start at Garman in the fall.” Not until he said it, did Brandon realize what he’d just let slip. “Damn. I didn’t mean to say that.”

Jamie stepped away so he could give Dillon a long, searching look. Dillon could feel all the color draining from his face as Jamie watched. He must think Dillon was some kind of stalker or something.

“You’re going to Garman? In New York?”

“Uh, yeah. I was gonna talk to you about that, James. I just got my letter the other day.”

“Either you already knew that I’m going to Garman, too, or this is one heck of a coincidence.”

Dillon felt more in knots now than he had fifteen minutes ago when he thought sure his dad was gonna hit him. He cleared his throat. “I knew.” When Jamie didn’t say anything, Dillon rushed out, “I knew, and I put in for Garman so the two of us could be in the same place, but I swear I wasn’t stalking you or anything.”

If Jamie was upset, he sure didn’t show it. “Pity. I was looking forward to an obscene phone call every now and then. How are you at heavy breathing?”

Dillon’s breath rushed out of his lungs in a gust of relief. “You’re not mad, then?”

Jamie reached out and tentatively took his hand. “No, Dillon. I’m not mad.”

Brandon was also the picture of relief. “Thank God. I thought sure I’d screwed things up with my big mouth.”

It was Jamie’s turn to flush. “Speaking of big mouths, what I did today, Dillon, outing you like that . . . God, I was so wrong. I’ve never told anyone except Ben about us, and that was just because he put two and two together and figured it out. Please, don’t be angry.”

Dillon grinned. “I’m not. You didn’t see me denying it, did you?” He reached out with his free hand and traced one finger over Jamie’s lips, following every dip and curve. “As I recall, I made certain no one had any doubts left as to what team I play for.”

Jamie smiled and leaned into Dillon’s hand. “Yeah. You did do that, all right.” He cast his eyes downward a little bit. “Not that I’m complaining.”

Heath said, “I hate to break up this greeting card moment, little brother, but you still haven’t told me whether or not we’re gonna be rooming together.”

Dillon sighed. “I don’t want to put you out, Heath. I know you have . . . friends . . . over on a pretty regular basis.”

Heath’s eyes darted over to Megan before focusing once again on Dillon. “If you’re talking about women, let’s just say I don’t have any ‘friends’ who’ll be staying the night and leave it at that.” He grinned. “So, what do you say? You gonna hang out with me, or set up shop at the Sheriff’s place?”

Brandon and Nate were great people, but Dillon had to admit, he’d feel more comfortable staying with a member of his family--the only family he had left, for all intents and purposes. “Thanks, Heath. I’ll take you up on it, but I still wanna find my own place as soon as I can.” He smiled at Brandon. “Thanks for the offer, Brandon, but if you and Nate don’t mind, I think I’ll move in with Heath for a while.”

Brandon shook his head. “Not as long as you know that the offer’s always open.” He grinned. “I don’t blame you for wanting to move in with your brother, but Nate’s gonna be so disappointed. He was looking forward to the pitter-patter of little feet.”

#

Megan dropped Jamie off at his aunt’s just before nine that night. Moving Dillon into that pigsty Heath called an apartment had been an experience, but it hadn’t taken as long as Jamie would have thought, even without Brandon’s help, since the sheriff had been called back to his office. One thing that saved time was not having to move any of Heath’s stuff out of the drawers and closets to make room for Dillon’s things. Most of Heath’s clothes and other possessions were already on the floor.

Still shaking his head over the shape of Dillon’s new home, and remembering Megan’s comment that she knew self-respecting gutter rats that wouldn’t live in that place, Jamie went into the house. He found Aunt Sadie in the kitchen, still dressed in her day clothes and nursing a cup of hot chocolate. She motioned for him to sit down.

“For someone who didn’t cause me a spec of trouble for over fourteen years, you’ve made up for it with a vengeance today, my boy.”

Jamie sank into the chair. “What happened?”

Sadie pointed to the old fashioned dial phone on the wall. “That thing has been ringing nonstop since I got home at six, and the answering machine in the den had about six messages on it from before I even got here.” Sadie took a long sip of her drink. “Must have been some kiss.”

Damn. “Aunt Sadie, I can explain.”

Sadie placed her cup back on its china saucer. “Just answer me one question. Did you enjoy it?”

Jamie’s face was on fire. “Yes, ma’am, I did.”

“That’s all I needed to hear. As long as you weren’t forced into anything, I say what you and Dillon do is your own business. I told Douglas Carver as much when he called, raving about how my ‘deviant’ nephew had corrupted his virginal son. Three of the messages on the machine were from him, by the way. The fourth time he called, he got me. Bet that insufferable ass wishes now I hadn’t picked up.”

He wouldn’t doubt that a bit. “What did you say to him?”

Sadie did her best to look all sweet and innocent, the perfect picture of old fashioned gentility. Jamie wasn’t buying it for a second. She shrugged. “Nothing much. I pointed out that you and Dillon were both over the age of eighteen, and that, as a lawyer, he should know that you’re past the age of consent to do whatever it is you feel like doing together. I also told him that since those dreadful, arcane sodomy laws were struck down by the Supreme Court a few weeks ago, it was none of anyone’s business. Of course, we haven’t had sodomy laws in Illinois since 1961, so there was never any question.”

“How did you know that?”

Sadie patted his cheek. “When you told me you were gay, sweet boy, I made it my business to know as much as I could, just in case. I simply told Douglas Caver what I’d learned.”

That didn’t sound so bad. “Is that all?”

Sadie toyed with the handle of her cup. “Well, I may have mentioned that I read somewhere that homosexual tendencies are usually passed down from father to son, so Douglas should clean out his own closet before he starts trying to slam the doors on others.”

God, he loved that woman. “You heard no such thing.”

“No, I didn’t, but Douglas Carver doesn’t know that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s going through his family tree even as we speak trying to find the infidel who started all this ‘homosexual debauchery,’ as he called it.” She giggled. “Listening to him sputter and spew made all the other phone calls bearable.”

Jamie sighed. “Who else called?”

“That bubble-head Morgan called, wanting to make certain you were all right. He said you had some trouble in the hallway at school this afternoon.” Jamie was about to speak, but she stopped him. “No need to go into it, Jamie. I figure it had something to do with that kiss Douglas Carver was fuming about, and the less I know about it, the better.” She thought for a minute. “Let’s see. Who else? Oh, Nathan Nash called. He was planning on coming by here to check on you, but since you seem to be over the worst of the shock, we deemed it unnecessary. He did say to call him if you get worse, again. He also told me about Megan’s phone call to Brandon and about Dillon’s being thrown out of the house. If I were a man, and about twenty years younger, I’d go over there and give Dillon’s father the worst beating of his miserable life for treating his own child that way.”

“Aunt Sadie, if you were twenty years younger, you’d do it, man or not.”

“Good point. Where’s Dillon staying, by the way?”

“With his brother.”

“I bet Douglas and Angela will love that one. It’s no matter for them, reaping what they’ve sown and all that.” She got up to take her now empty cup to the sink. “Did you want some cocoa, dear?”

“No, ma’am. Were those all the phone calls?”

Sadie drizzled dish soap into her cup and swished it around while she thought. “There were two more on the machine, both from someone named Anton, or Alton. Something like that.”

“Ashton?”

Sadie turned back to Jamie as she twisted the knob and opened the faucet. “That’s it. Ashton. He left a number where he could be reached, but never gave any real message other than a request for you to call him. I wrote the number down for you, if you want to call him back.”

Jamie wasn’t ready to face that yet. He was still smarting from his confrontation with Ash and Chad, not to mention wrestling with a guilty conscious about Ben. He missed Ben, but it was Dillon he ached for. Why couldn’t he have given Ben more? More love, more attention. Ben, who’d known so little joy in his life, had done more for Jamie in the last two years than any friend he’d ever had. Jamie owed him, and now it was too late to repay the debt.

“Jamie, did you hear me? Should I get that number for you?”

“Sorry. No, ma’am. I’ll just catch him at school tomorrow.” Not really. Not if he could help it, anyway.

“Well, it’s on the notebook by the den phone if you change your mind. Oh, and before, I forget, Nora Slater called.”

Jamie’s heart sank. Poor Nora. She must be devastated, and he hadn’t even thought to call her. He didn’t realize he’d said it out loud until Aunt Sadie came back to the table and squeezed his shoulder.

“Jamie, Nora’s buried two husbands. She, of all people, understands about grief. She called to see how you were, and she also said she’d like to talk to you as soon as possible.”

“Should I call her tonight?”

“No. She sounded worn through, poor thing. It might be best to wait until after the arrangements are made. Hopefully, the inquest will be settled soon and you can all get on with your healing.” She wrapped her arms around him and cuddled him close, the way she had so many times before. Jamie relished the feelings. He’d almost forgotten what his real mother looked like, Sadie being the only mother he ever needed. He relaxed under the coddling. Unfortunately, the phone rang.

Sadie snorted. “I should have taken that blasted thing off the hook and been done with it.” She started for the phone, but Jamie got up and shook his head.

“I’ll get it, Aunt Sadie, You’ve had to field enough calls today.” He crossed the room and lifted the receiver. “Hello?”

“James? It’s Nate.”

“Hey, Doc? What’s up?”

Nate hesitated. “First, tell me how you’re feeling.”

“I’m okay. I still hurt, and I miss Ben like crazy, but I guess that’s normal. That’s what everyone’s been telling me, anyway.”

“It is normal. Just let me know if it gets worse.”

“I will. Is that why you called, to check on me? Not that I don’t appreciate it, because I do.”

“I know, James. I’m glad you’re out of the worst of it, but I’d be lying if I said that’s the only reason I called.”

Jamie was afraid to ask, but the words came out anyway. “What is it?”

“Brandon wanted me to call you and let you know what’s going on. He’d have called himself but he’s down at the station, wrapping up some loose ends. He’s made an arrest, James. He caught the man who hit Ben.”

{TO BE CONTINUED}

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 28 milliseconds