• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Mature
  • /
  • Unusual Companions

Unusual Companions

123

Author's note: Thank you so much to AisieLynn who's help in being my proof reader/editor is invaluable. I Hope you enjoy the story. ~ellie

*

"Why do you have to do this to me? I'm not exactly going to fit in with that crowd," Josie complained.

"Because you love me enough to come with me, plus you're hot and I get to have a crack at all your cast-offs," Mica laughed self-deprecatingly.

"I don't want to go," Josie complained, knowing that Mica wasn't listening to her properly. "I think you should go alone. I haven't been single that long and what if..."

"Exactly, it's time you stopped moping around here and got out there and met some new people," Mica rolled her eyes. Josie's breakup had been bad, but it had been long enough since then for her to be moving on already. "I can't go alone. You have to come with me, please!" She could see that Josie was about to say no for the umpteenth time. "Okay, I am begging. I will owe you a favour. A big one. I promise if it's lame we will only stay an hour at the most."

"Mica, I just don't think..." Josie tried again.

"Don't forget who it was that showed up with Nutella cheesecake and cocktails when you needed a friend to cry with," she pulled out her guilt card, hating herself for it. Josie groaned and flopped down onto the couch resigning herself to a Valentine's Day of fending off dirty old men and creepy nerds who used the same dating sites as her friend.

"Okay, you better tell me about it then," she sighed.

"Josie I love you! You won't be disappointed, I promise," Mica said excitedly as she sat on the other end of the couch.

"I haven't said yes yet. I just meant that I would listen to you tell me what exactly you are asking me to do with you," Josie said warily, already regretting her decision to sit down and hear her friend out.

"Online dating is not like it used to be. Lots of people do it now. There are professionals and tradies who are just too busy to go out all the time or don't like the club scene. It's not just losers who can't get a date," Mica said seriously, noting the suspicious look on her friend's face. "Honestly, come have a look," she got up and walked towards her computer.

"You don't have to show me a bunch of profiles to convince me. If anything, it will do the opposite. I think they are mostly fake or photoshopped, and if I go with you, I will be even more disappointed when they aren't all tall dark and handsome," she sighed again.

"Fine, it's a meet and greet. They are holding it at the Bay Beach House, so it's even local, and you don't have to go all the way into the city. We can go early and just stay for the breakfast. You don't even have to talk to anyone else if you don't want to. I promise it's not like what you're imagining," Mica tried to soothe Josie's concerns.

"Breakfast?" She looked at her friend sceptically. "Don't most of these things happen at night?"

"I guess, but they are doing breakfast this year," she hesitated and Josie crossed her arms knowing there was more. "Actually, they are doing three events this year, sort of like a rolling date, breakfast lunch and dinner at three different venues. I will buy the tickets for the day, but you only have to come to the breakfast, if that's all you want to go to."

"Breakfast and we are out of there," Josie said tersely, not believing she was letting herself get talked into this.

"Sure but with the option to stay and go to the second event if you have a good time," Mica stressed the word you.

"Yeah, that'll happen," Josie retorted with a look of disdain.

*****

Josie had spent the Friday night before Valentine's Day bundling up all the keepsakes and letters from her ex that still sat on or around her desk and room. Her friends were right. It was time to move on, not that there were many prospective dates on the horizon. She laughed to herself, "Maybe Mica was right, and tomorrow wouldn't be so bad." Shaking her head, she dismissed the thought. It was going to be awful, and she knew it.

Having completed her weekend cleaning and laundry as well as a general clean out of her small home office space, Josie went to bed happy that she wouldn't have to come home after breakfast and do it tomorrow. She continued to try and convince herself it wouldn't be so bad. Helping out a friend was all that she was doing. It just happened that there would be lots of singles tripping over each other to grab a date or at least a sexcapade at the same event, and she could ignore that if she had to. It might even be fun to people watch for a bit she thought as she dozed off into a restless slumber. "At least it wasn't a fancy dress thing like so many of these types of meet and greets were," she thought, trying to find all the positives she could.

Her alarm went off too early for the weekend, and she dragged herself out of bed and into the shower as the sun lit the horizon. Mica had been here during the week to organise an appropriate outfit for her, and Josie groaned as she looked at the dress hanging on her closet door. It was more of an evening dress. It was way too formal for a breakfast meet and greet. Still, she had promised she would be Mica's wing woman after a heartfelt talk about how lonely Mica felt during the holidays and with Valentine's Day looming.

"It's going to be fun. You are going to have fun. You are not going to ruin this day for your friend," Josie told her mirror reflection as she did her makeup and hair. The knock on her door was soft, and she hurried to answer it.

"Hey there, Gorgeous," Mica beamed as she looked at Josie.

"You're looking pretty fabulous yourself," Josie grinned. "I am pretty much ready if you want to call a cab," Josie said as she walked back into her room to grab her bag and phone from where it was charging. Josie's place was closer to the venue so it made sense that Mica would leave her car, and they would catch a cab from there in case they wanted to drink mimosas at the breakfast event.

With the Australian summer fading, the morning air was a little cool as Josie stepped from her apartment building, and she shivered wondering if she needed a coat. She paused and looked up at the flight of stairs she had just walked down and decided to go without, hurrying after her friend who had made a beeline towards the waiting cab.

The venue was packed even at that early hour on a Saturday morning, but the organisers had cleverly placed large marquees across the road in a large park along the foreshore that were filling quickly as well. Mica bubbled with excitement as she climbed from the cab and, intertwining her arm with Josie's, walked them towards the venue to check in. Having pre-booked and paid for their tickets, the girls were shown to seats within the venue itself and were given complimentary mimosas.

"There are so many people here," Mica leaned over to talk to Josie, "Even you could find at least one person to talk to here, Miss Fussyboots."

"I'm fine. Go mingle and have fun," Josie laughed looking around.

"Let's grab some breakfast first. Otherwise these mimosas will go to my head," Mica smiled and stood up from their seats, leaving her unfurled napkin in her place to show it was taken.

Walking along the breakfast buffet with a partially loaded plate, Josie felt a light tap on her shoulder and turned to face a tall, middle aged man. His smiling eyes danced as she regarded him warily thinking he was about to try out a pick up line on her.

"Hi, I am pretty sure we've met before," he said in a strong jovial voice.

"Not the most original line I have ever heard," she replied, "But I don't think so." She attempted to dismiss him by turning back to the buffet and moving along with the line of people before her. He wasn't so easily deterred though and moved with her, brushing against her in the crowded room.

"That wasn't a line," he laughed, "Though in a place like this I can understand you thinking that. What I should have asked was, you wouldn't happen to be Chuck Wildings' daughter would you? Jojo?" She turned and looked at him properly then wondering how this guy knew her father and even more so how he knew her name when she didn't seem to recognise him at all.

"No one has called me Jojo since I was twelve," her brow furrowed trying to place him but failing. "I think you have me at a disadvantage, I don't recognise you at all."

"I would bet Chuck still calls you Jojo. When he showed me the Christmas photos, I am pretty sure his exact words were, 'and there's my Jojo.'" The man smiled his eyes dancing merrily as she fought to put a name to his face.

"Yeah, you got me there," she grimaced. "So you are?"

"Steve," he replied still smiling, knowing that was no help to her at all.

"Well, it was good to see you Steve. I'll be sure to ask Dad who you are exactly, you know he has nicknames for everyone," she sighed. "I doubt I know any of his friends' real names, for all I know they could all be named Steve and that's why he gives them nicknames." She turned back to the buffet hearing him laugh with genuinely good humour as she picked up two small pastries to finish off her plate and turned to walk away. That was all she needed, someone telling her Dad she was at a desperate and dateless mixer.

"Wait," he said as she went to walk away. "I worked with your Dad for more years than I like to admit, I was his apprentice once. He calls me Donald. He shrugged, went with the surname I guess." He didn't elaborate any further.

"I thought you said your name was Steve?" She turned to regard him sceptically again.

"Since when has that ever mattered to your Dad," he laughed. "Hoolie's name is John Smith. I shit you not." He continued to laugh and was pleased when a smile finally lightened her face. "Look, I'm not here to make you crazy or stalk you crazy or anything. It was just nice to see a face I knew, come find me when you're done eating, and we can catch up properly, okay?"

"Sure," she agreed, having no intention of doing anything of the sort and walked back to the table.

"Who's the Clooney you were talking with?" Mica immediately began the inquisition.

"Apparently a friend of my Dad's who was just saying hello, not picking me up or anything," she hastened to explain.

"That's a shame you always preferred the older, suave, sophisticated Clooney's. I'd be happy with a Clooney or shit a Sean Connery if it came down to it as long as they made me smile," Mica laughed. "I am over searching for my Skarsgard, pretty boys want super models," She rolled her eyes. "I am starting to see why you always dated older guys. They're more discerning and less concerned with the packaging."

"Will you stop that?! You're gorgeous. You just haven't met the right guy yet. It's not like you never get asked out or date." Josie scolded her friend who seemed to be in a constant battle with her insecurities.

"Here's to finding someone fun," Mica raised her glass and Josie lifted hers in the toast.

"Here's to you finding the one who makes you smile," she replied.

Once they had finished eating, they stood up and began to mingle. Josie stood behind her friend quietly for the most part encouraging and supporting rather than flirting with anyone herself. It was the reason she had agreed to come, after all. The noise and push of the crowd who seemed intent on rubbing up against as many people as they possibly could soon became too much for Josie.

"I'm going to go get some fresh air and see what's in the marquees across the road," she whispered in her friend's ear.

"I'll come," Mica said happily and linked arms with her again as they made their way out of the noisy, crowded restaurant. "There wasn't much happening back there anyway," she said once they were out of earshot.

They crossed the road and peeked into the first of the marquees. A small bar had been set up with tea, coffee, juice and mimosas. The girls picked up another drink and walked around the outskirts, chatting briefly here and there as they went. The second marquee held several photo booths and Josie could see flushed looking faces emerging from behind curtains to snatch at photos and in some cases write on the back of them.

In the days of Instagram and facebook, photo booths like this were a bit of a novelty, and they seemed to have people cued around them. "It could be fun if you met someone for the first time," she laughed, "to have that memory."

Another marquee had a more formalised and organised speed dating circuit that changed players frequently as people came and went. There were a few vacant tables as they went by, and a young, vivacious girl tried to coax them in to sit down.

"You do it Mica. I'm happy to just walk off that breakfast ad look at the water for a bit, I will come pick you up in a little while," Josie encouraged and Mica grinned.

"I've always wanted to try speed dating," she bubbled excitedly.

"Then go silly! What are you waiting for?" Josie laughed and watched as her friend was seated, and a new round began before wandering off. She walked out towards the sea wall, such that it was. At only a couple of feet, she wasn't sure it could be called a wall despite its stone and mortar construction. The calm water lapped at the edge, and she stood quietly gazing out at the islands that dotted the bay.

She loved the bayside. Her grandmother had a house close by when she was younger, and she had spent many wonderful summers with assorted cousins and siblings catching crabs and playing in the mangroves. Lost in childhood memories, she jumped in fright as Steve appeared beside her.

"Whatcha doin' over here, all alone?" He asked a small touch of concern in his voice. "If someone here..."

"No, nothing like that," she laughed. "But thank you for the sentiment." She smiled softly, "I was just lost in memory. I spent a lot of summers here as I grew up."

"Didn't find the love of your life over there?" He smirked.

"I'm here more as support crew, speaking of which I should go check on my friend," she replied.

"Stay, I'm sure another few minutes won't matter one way or another," he placed his hand on her arm. "Tell me about what's going on in your life. I haven't seen you in years."

"Walk with me, I will feel better if I check on her," and be in a crowd she thought.

"Sure," He agreed happily. They reminisced about mutual acquaintances and laughed a lot. Josie was surprised at how naturally witty and disarming he was and began to let herself enjoy his company.

After a small time watching the speed dating while chatting to Steve, Josie signalled to Mica to let her know where she was. Seeing the answering wave from Mica, she indicated which direction she was moving in and moved away again. Steve found a vacant bench seat on the outskirts of all the action and invited Josie to sit with him as they talked.

"This finishes at ten or is supposed to, are you moving on with the crowd to the lunchtime event?" he inquired.

"I only signed on for the breakfast, so I guess it depends on my friend. She talked me into this, and if she is determined to go I would never let her go alone, not with all these..." She was about to say losers and caught herself realising that the man she was talking to had probably come here looking for love as well.

"It's okay, I understand," Steve smiled. "It's not usually my thing either but after two years of separation the divorce finally came through a few months ago. So I thought, what the hell, sink or swim, and if I got a good blow job out of it I would be happy." Josie gasped at his candidness and burst out laughing. She liked that he didn't try and schmooze her. He was just himself, goofy and sweet in a rough-edged sort of way.

"That was so much fun!" Mica bubbled as she approached the pair sitting on the seat.

"You have to be Mica," Steve smiled, standing to offer her his seat and extending his hand in greeting.

"And you are tall, handsome and all things Clooney," she flirted outrageously.

"I always thought I was more Anthony Edwards, but I'll take Clooney," he winked at her. "I'm just Steve though. It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, Just Steve. You sit, I've been sitting for ages, I'm gonna grab a drink you want one Josie?" She asked.

"I'll get them. Mimosas?" he waited until they nodded and strode off towards the beverage tent.

"He seems nice," Mica watched him go.

"He is," Josie answered, "But seriously would you date one of your father's friends?"

"You've dated guys his age before. It seems that's all you date, come to think of it. Maybe not quite as old as your Dad but somehow I don't think Steve is either," Mica countered, her arguments based on age alone.

"It's just too weird, what if I ended up at a dinner party with my parents!" She grimaced.

"Shit you haven't even gone a date with the guy yet and you're already thinking about dinner parties. Hell, get him in bed first and see if you're compatible for all that other shit. For all we know he might even be a lousy kisser. Have you tested that out yet?" Mica crossed her eyes and pulled a face making Josie laugh.

Steve returned with another man and handed the girls a drink each before retrieving his own from his friend. "This is Dan, it seems it's not only women who travel in pairs these days," he grinned. "Josie and the lovely Mica," he said by way of introduction.

"Hey," Dan nodded his head at the two women. "So Mica, apparently it's your decision whether we all go onto the next venue or not," Dave said without preamble, stunning the women.

"How do you reckon that?" Mica had just about choked on her mimosa but played along with his countrified style of speech.

"Steve said that Josie had only planned to come for the breakfast with you but that you could probably talk her into the lunchtime shindig," he shrugged.

"Oh?" She bubbled, turning to look at Josie, who had rolled her eyes and given Steve a killer look.

"What's that got to do with whether you guys go?" Josie returned the question without answering Mica.

"Steve said he'd go if Josie was going to be there and he's my ride," Dan shrugged noncommittally. "Got the tickets, may as well use them I reckon. Came in from out west for this, reckon I could take home a few more stories if we carried on a bit longer."

"Shit, your Dan!" Josie said wide-eyed making the men turn and look at her strangely. "I mean I know you told us your name but I just realised who you were, in relation to me. The farm and the creek and oh man I still have a scar from that feral cat I tried to pat." She held out her arm for them to see. Dan looked confused.

"Chuck's daughter, Jojo," Steve laughed at his friend.

"Crickey! Are you shitting me? Little Jojo is not old enough to be at a desperate and dateless shindig," the astonishment was clear in his voice. He bent down and picked her up hugging her tight and twirling her around while she squealed in both terror and delight.

"Well, fuck me, small world huh?" Dan had changed in moments from a quiet, serious seeming man to an animated country boy who was whooping it up. "Last time I saw you I was giving you rides on the back of my quad."

"Scaring me to death and almost killing me was how I remember it," Josie laughed.

"Valentine's Day reunions," Mica clapped happily standing with the rest of the small group. "I'd love to say yes but we caught a cab this morning. We probably won't be going on unless," she turned and smiled widely at Steve, "Someone wanted to offer us a lift."

"That goes without saying," Steve smiled.

"Good we're all in," Dan checked his watch, "Let's hit the road then, the next place is about to swing into action."

"Oh, one last thing before I accept your kind offer," Mica grinned at Steve. "I need you to kiss Josie for me, just as an experimental thing."

"Better you than me mate, she's like a little sister to me," Dan laughed and winked at Mica. "I'll kiss you though just to even the playing field if ya game."

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Mature
  • /
  • Unusual Companions

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 48 milliseconds