Watching The Detectives Ch. 06

"That's good to know," Dan said. "because I don't want anyone to know we're talking."

"Then you should be as concerned as I am that Ron let someone in on our little secret. What is it you want to tell me, Mr Dwyer?" Kate asked this question knowing the answer.

The letter suggested Uncle Dan look up attorney Katherine Price. Ron explained to Daniel that Miss Price was looking into the kidnapping case, specifically Officer William Barnes. When Kat visited Ron, he never finished telling her about the family's troubles with Barnes long after the rescue. The dying detective couldn't locate Kat because Ron didn't know her married name. Ron wrote Dan Dwyer hoping he would tell Miss Price why his brother moved the family out of town.

"My niece was destroyed. The family didn't want her to give testimony beyond the first and only statement she gave police from her hospital bed. Retelling that horrible story was traumatizing. Ed and Susan were terrified the defense team might put her on the stand."

"But they didn't," Kat said with knowledge of the case. "Jacob Kramer felt nothing good would come of it, and pressuring her would likely backfire; a public relations nightmare."

Dan leaned back. "How do you know this?"

"I worked for Kramer & Stein, but not on that case, and to be clear, I was mortified that we took the job of defending Fonseca. I was just a kid in my first job."

Dan continued. "McDonald and another detective, Bob Vrabel, had contacted my brother several times trying to gain access to Carol Anne. Ed was furious with them. They wanted to question her but it wasn't official police business."

"Because Mayor Murphy and Chief Hogan had already shut them down," Kat added.

"Yes. That's one reason Ed told them to back off and let the family be. He and Susan were frightened. Their phone was ringing at all hours, with no one on the other end."

"I doubt that was Ron McDonald."

"No, it was Officer Barnes. He'd been watching our house for months. He parked across the street in his squad car and sometimes his personal car. It was out in the open like he wanted to be seen."

Kat did her best to not appear too excited. "Did you live with your brother?"

"Yes, in a tenement Ed owned on Torley Street. I rented the upstairs apartment. Barnes was always around, driving by, smiling and waving like it was normal."

"You believe he was trying to intimidate your family."

"Trying? He damn well did it. That's why Ed moved his family to Newark, to get away from this town, the whispers, and that psychopath."

Not wanting to lead the witness, Kat played it as if she didn't know what was going on. Sitting quietly, looking at the letter, she smelled it again. She whispered as if speaking to herself.

"So the cop who rescued the girl and killed a rapist was intimidating the victim afterward. It doesn't make sense."

She looked up at Dan Dwyer who had an incredulous look on his face. Kat waited for him to react. It took him longer than she expected.

"Miss Price, Detective Ron wrote in that letter," Dan put his finger on the paper, "that you know the truth."

"I'm sorry. What truth?"

"That Officer Barnes was involved in Carol Anne's abduction. Isn't that why you're reopening this case?"

"Whoa there, I'm not reopening anything. I'm nobody in this town." Kat took a sip of her beer trying to appear calm. "I didn't want to suggest what I suspect is true. I needed you to say it in your own words. Does your family truly believe Barmes was an accomplice of Fonseca and Mathis?

Dan nodded. "My brother is convinced. Barnes creeped him out. There were too many incidents where he ran into the cop, at his job, the grocery store, and my nephew's little league games. Barnes was stalking them. Why else would he do that?"

"Okay. Ron had me nearly convinced Barnes was involved. This removes any doubt." Kat's and Dan's eyes locked.

"If you're not opening the case, what are you doing? I know you're a lawyer. What can you do?"

The waitress came by with Kat's sandwich. Kat asked Dan if he wanted a beer. He declined. She ordered herself a second and waited for the woman to walk away.

"I'm sorry," Kat said while preparing to have a late lunch. "I have my own problems right now. I just can't stop thinking about this case, and your niece. I'm almost afraid to ask, but how is she? I'm guessing she's what, thirty-two?"

"Yes. I said at the beginning, she was destroyed."

"I'm sorry. I won't pry."

Kat didn't have to pry. Tears welled up in Daniel's eyes. "Carol Anne is a drug addict. She's been arrested for prostitution. Ed and Susan are devastated." He removed a napkin from a dispenser. "She was supposed to go to Penn State but those men destroyed a beautiful family."

Kat reached across the table and placed her hands on his. She didn't want to say she was sorry again, so she showed it with her hands and eyes.

Dan wiped his face. "I have to go. I don't know what you're doing but I trusted Detective Ron, and that's why I found you."

"If you trusted Ron, why didn't you speak with him when he needed information? The man tried to help. He was removed from the case for seeking the truth."

"We didn't know that at the time. After the trial, after my brother moved his family, that's when we learned Detective Ron was a friend."

"And by then it was too late." Kat shook her head. "Can I keep this letter?"

"Sure, I have no use. Its purpose was served." Daniel reached into his inside breast pocket again. "We filed two complaints with the police regarding Barnes. I think you should take these." He slid another envelope to her.

"You filed complaints about the harassment?" Kat's eyes bugged out.

"Yes, and they were ignored."

"Unbelievable." Kat took the documents. "How did you find me?"

"It's in the letter. The line about Jane Mansfield. I've been driving the streets of Shadyside all week asking around."

Kat didn't like that asking around line but she kept her thoughts to herself. She doesn't need people asking around.

"When I saw you pull in here I circled back. It took a while to summon the courage to come inside."

"And why did Ron send a letter?"

"My phone number has been unlisted for years... ever since this case. We had to change our numbers to stop the calls."

Kate exhaled, thinking of the trauma the family went through. "Well, thank you for passing this along. It's eye-opening."

"Thank you, Miss Price." Dan stood. "I hope this talk was helpful." He began walking but turned a few steps away. "I like your car. It suits you."

Kat slightly blushed. "Thank you."

In the letter, Ron told Daniel Dwyer, 'Look for Jane Mansfield driving a red Olds Toronado in Shadyside. She's one of a kind.'

When the door closed behind Dan, Kat stared at the handwriting, worried that her secret circle had one too many people in it. The chances were probably low that the woman Detective McDonald trusted to take dictation would inform on her for working the Dwyer case. That didn't ease Kat's mind. She hated not knowing who this mystery woman was.

She didn't enjoy her roast beef so much. That letter left a bad taste in her mouth.

.

.

--- THE FUNERAL ---

Kat stood in the mirror examining her perfectly fitting best black dress. "It's a shame I only wear this to funerals. I look good in black."

"Yes, you do, but are you crazy? You can't go to this thing," Glo said. "You'll tip the cops off that you know McDonald. No one knows you've met with him."

"I need to see who attends."

"It'll be cops, cops, and more cops."

"But which cops?" Kat turned to her. "Will Art Casey be there? How about Billy? I doubt it. I figure the cops who show up for Ron will be his allies who believe Barnes was involved."

"And what are you going to do invite them to a fucking brunch?"

"No. I know many officers from my days in law. If I see someone I know well, a friendly cop, I might be able to mention my troubles with Art and Billy and start a dialogue. I won't mention the Dwyer case. I'll let them open that door if they wish."

An hour later, inside St. Mary's Catholic Church, the church of her youth and her mother's parish, Kat scanned the attendees. Glo was correct. Half the Pittsburgh Police Department was there, including Chief Hogan, the man who ordered Ron to shut down his investigation. It was hard to conduct recon during the somber service without being obvious, rubbernecking to see who sat in the pews.

'This might be easier at the cemetery.'

At St. Mary's Cemetery, Kat stood on the periphery where she could see their faces and moved around slowly to observe at different angles. She wanted to be seen and maybe approached. Detectives Smith and Newsome were there. They noticed her. She knew plenty of the officers present, but Kat was disappointed that none of her close police contacts from her days at K&S were in attendance.

As the graveside service came to a close and Kat walked away from the mourners, Detective Smith approached her.

"Well, your face is looking a lot better since the last time I saw you," he smiled.

Kat removed her large round sunglasses. "Yes, time heals all wounds. Isn't that what they say?"

"The physical heals fast. How are your other wounds?"

"I'm managing."

"How do you know Ronnie? I was surprised to see you here."

Kat lied, "We crossed paths a few times when I was a working girl. He was always very nice to me. He liked to compliment my dresses."

Smith chuckled. "I'm not surprised. Ron was a dog after his wife passed. Did he ever invite you for a drink?"

"Ya know, he did ask me once to have a Yuengling with him."

"That's Ronnie. Always on the prowl with a beer in hand."

"Were you close to Detective McDonald?"

"I was, for a long time, but then he went off the deep end with one case. He could not let it go, and it became a problem."

"What case was that?"

"An old case from before your days."

Kat smirked, maybe a tell. She wasn't certain, but Kat felt Detective Smith had already made the connection with her, Raymond, Billy, and the deceased. But she remained cool. "Was it a cold case, unsolved?"

"No. That's why it became a problem. It was a settled case and Ron was certain we got it wrong."

"Did you agree with him?"

Smith exhaled audibly. "I felt he had good reason to be suspicious, but the case was closed and it was pointless to pursue it. Ronnie's obsession hurt his career in his latter years. I'm sorry to say I was one of his friends who stepped away."

Kat didn't reply, hoping Detective Smith might elaborate. He did not.

"Well, it was nice seeing you again, Mrs. Landry."

"Please, call me Kat."

Smith nodded and walked away. Kat watched him rejoin his partner. She turned and strolled between headstones.

'I suppose I should visit Dad.'

Kate turned to find the large oak tree that marked her dad's grave.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 22 milliseconds