When the Time is Right

Brian thanked Don again as sincerely as he could and shook the man's hand.

"Is there any way I can repay you?" Brian asked.

"Not unless you wanna spring for a new set of golf clubs," the older man said.

"I'll have to see what I can do," Brian told him making a mental note to do just that.

"Oh, come on. I know what you do for a living, my friend. You'd be hard pressed to afford buying me a new putter."

Brian only laughed along with him then thanked him one more time.

"I owe you, Don. Big time."

"Forget about it. It gave me a chance to spend a little time around this beautiful lady," he said with a smile as he looked at Rita.

"Oh, trust me. I get that completely," Brian said as he held out his hand.

When Rita took it, Don's smile disappeared immediately. But he knew how good looking Brian was, and how good looking he wasn't, and accepted it as the way of the world.

"Thank you again!" Rita also told him as they got ready to leave.

"Take care of him, Doc!" Don said to her.

"I will. I most definitely will," she told him as she looked over at Brian.

"Am I the only one who's hungry?" Brian asked as they left the clubhouse.

"Me!" Rik called out as though Brian had forgotten he was 'starving'.

"Are you sure you feel like going out? You've had a very...unusual day," Rita told him.

"Unusual but wonderful," Brian said with a smile.

"Um...what's 'wonderful' about almost dying?" Rita asked.

Brian smile at her then said, "I had my first kiss with you."

"Oh, right. Okay, there was that," she said, a happy smile of her own on her face. "But I was referring to the kind of thing most people never experience."

"So was I," he told her, referring to the kiss and not the capacitor.

For the second time in a day, Rita teared up. Brian knew why, so he didn't mention it. But it most definitely moved him, and made him go from thinking she was much more than just a very beautiful, older woman to quite possibly the most wonderful person he'd ever met. Then again, she had saved his life, so there was that, too, but still...

"I would be very happy to make something for you," she told him.

He smiled and Rita said, "What? Why are you smiling?"

"Oh, I was gonna say something silly. Something else silly."

"What? Tell me," she asked with a smile of her own. "You know I like a man with a senes of humor."

Brian shook his head then said, "Okay. I uh, I was going to say you don't need to make me anything else because you've already made me...happy."

"Corny, ..."

Before he could say 'huh?' Rita stood on her toes and kissed him.

"It wasn't corny at all. It was very sweet and...romantic."

Brian got serious for a moment then said, "If it made you happy, even more a moment, then I'm glad."

"It did," she told him. "It made me very happy. Now if you'll follow me home I'll make dinner for us."

"Yes, Doctor," he told her with a smile as he opened his car door.

Rita was not only a doctor, she was an excellent cook which helped explain why Rik didn't gripe when she chose eating in over going to a restaurant.

She'd gone to the store the evening before and was planning on making the dish she prepared anyway, but it was still quite an event. Brian had eaten better food in New York, but it had cost him well over $200 to get this kind of quality.

Rita made Rosemary and garlic oven-roasted rack of lamb with baby potatoes and asparagus. Neither she nor Brian drank much at all, but the delicious merlot she served with the meal was also superb.

"Dessert anyone?" she asked after an hour of dinner and pleasant conversation about various topics that didn't include work.

Rik's hand shot up immediately causing his mom and their guest to smile.

"Gee, why am I not surprised?" she said.

"How about a slice of lemon meringue pie?" his mom suggested.

"Um...yeah!" Rik replied.

Rita shook her head then asked their guest if he might like some.

"If you went to that much trouble to make a dessert that fancy then...sure."

"Sorry. I didn't make the dessert. It's from the freezer section of the grocery store."

"But it's still really good," Rik told him.

"Maybe later?" he said before realizing he hadn't been invited to stay.

"Sorry. If 'later' is a possibility," he said correcting himself.

"It's a given as long as you'd like to stay," Rita told him as she got out the store-bought pie.

"In that case maybe a slice with some coffee whenever you feel like it?"

"I don't normally eat desserts, but I could make an exception," she told him.

"What do you eat?" Brian asked, after watching her eat maybe five bites of lamb, one small potato, and maybe two asparagus stalks.

"I eat," she said, a little defensively.

"Like a bird!" Rik said as he tried to imitate a bird by going 'cheep, cheep'.

It was pretty obvious this young man was indeed socially awkward, and probably got a fair amount of teasing at school. But it was also obvious he was intelligent, kindhearted, and had a surprising amount of potential as a golfer.

"Do you ski?" Brian asked Rita as Rik ate his pie.

That was almost literal as the boy destroyed the entire slice in four bites, each one entering his um...pie hole...before the previous bite was gone. He wasn't overweight, and it was none of Brian's business, but Rik could really pack it away.

"Yes. It's one of the main reasons I settled on Aspen," she said. "I went to medical school and did my residency in Denver never dreaming I'd land a job at the hospital here in town."

"So did you meet your husband here?" Brian asked very carefully.

"Yes. As a matter of fact, I did," Rita told him. "He was a medical maintenance technician who repaired things like MRI and CAT-scan machines."

It made Brian feel good to see her smiling as she spoke fondly of her late husband.

"I had a friend or two who thought I would be happier with a fellow doctor, but it was kind of a love-at-first-sight romance. He asked me out shortly after introducing himself, and a year later we were married. And a year after that, Rik was born."

After wiping out his pie, her son had asked to be excused and was in his room playing video games and not privy to the conversation.

"I already knew how to ski. My parents took me the first time when I was four, and I went as often as I could after that," Rita told him.

"Then you wouldn't benefit from taking my 'intro' course," Brian said with a smile.

"Oh, right. I remember you mentioning that when you introduced yourself to us."

"Right. I nearly forgot that myself."

"You might have some minor, short-term memory issues from the shock. It's unlikely, and that's not really a short-term memory problem, but...let's go with that, shall we?" she said very playfully.

"You're an amazing woman, Rita Gordon," he told her as they sat next to each other on her couch.

"I think you're pretty amazing, too," she said back.

He sat there looking at her for a few seconds until she said, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I guess I was just wondering how it is a guy like me could be sitting here with a woman like you."

"Why would you even think that?" she asked.

"Well for starters, does it bother you that I teach golf and skiing for a living?"

She sat up little straighter, turned his way, then said, "Why would that bother me? You're doing what you love, and you're good at it, so no, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'm a little envious. Don't get me wrong. I love medicine, but it was starting to feel like it was my entire life. It felt like I was being...smothered. Do you know what I mean?"

"I do," he said without explaining how or why he knew.

Now Rita was wondering why he'd asked her that and had a question for him.

"Does it bother you that I'm a doctor?"

"No. I respect you for being one, but it certainly doesn't intimidate me or make we feel like I need to be a doctor myself."

She watched him very closely as he spoke, and she could tell he was being honest with her, so for now, anyway, his answer satisfied her concerns.

"So what else do you enjoy doing other than playing golf and skiing?" she asked, her warm, friendly smile back.

"I take it you mean other than spending time with you, right?" he said with a straight face.

Rita smiled and said, "Yes. Other than that."

"Well, I enjoy playing tennis. I like to bowl. I love old movies. Um...I enjoy eating, as you just learned, and..."

Rita laughed then said, "You're a very unusual man, Brian Erickson."

Again, he tried to keep a straight face as he said, "I've been called worse."

"No! Be serious," she said.

"I thought I was," he said just as...seriously.

The puzzled look on her face didn't go away so he asked if there was something specific she needed to discuss.

"It's not that I don't think I'm still...reasonably attractive...but, well...you know how old I am, and I'm very curious to know why you're still interested in me."

Her question wasn't at all accusatory. It was a simple, straightforward inquiry.

"You mean other than you having saved my life, right?" he said, seeing how far he could press his luck.

"Brian! Please. This is important to me, okay?"

"Sorry. I tend to resort to humor whenever things get serious," he said apologetically.

"No, I love your sense of humor, but I really am more than a little bit interested in why you're not looking for someone closer to your age who's as beautiful as you are handsome. That's all."

"First of all, you're as beautiful as anyone I've ever gone out with, Rita—of any age."

The first part of his answer made her smile, and all she could do was trust that he was being honest.

"As far as women my age go, I can only say I've tried that. The problem is that out of all of the women I've ever known, I've never met one who captured my interest the way you have."

"I love hearing that, Brian," she said, "and while I want to believe you, I can't imagine you couldn't find someone like me who's maybe, say...32...instead of 42. Isn't that possible?"

"I suppose," he replied. "But it's not like I haven't done a whole lot of looking, and while this may not come out right, I haven't exactly had a difficult time...attracting female company."

"No, of course not. You're...you're gorgeous. But I still don't really understand your attraction to me specifically."

"I'm not sure how to convince you or whether it's even possible to convince someone else how I feel about them. All I can do is tell you honestly from the bottom of my heart how I feel then do my best to show you it's true."

"That's...that's very insightful, actually," Rita replied very quietly.

"And if your questions all arise from the difference in our ages, imagine how I feel knowing you're a medical doctor and I'm...a golf instructor."

"If you were lazy, arrogant, or...obnoxious, it wouldn't matter what you did. I'd never agree to spend five minutes with you. But you're none of those things. In fact, you're the opposite in every respect. And while I'm at it, I can't help but notice how good you've been to my son, who's, well...a little on the um...eccentric side."

"We all chart our own course, right?" Brian said.

"That's true. I don't want to tell my son what he needs to be when he grows up. I only want him to find his passion and follow it. I do worry a little about him getting sidetracked with something like drugs that could ruin his life, but I honestly feel like he'll turn out just fine as long as he has boundaries, love, and opportunities."

"I'm very glad to hear you mention boundaries. I'm not sure I could see anyone—no matter how beautiful she might be—if she didn't have any rules or standards for her child."

"Oh, my gosh! I will never understand how a parent can let their child say or do whatever they want without regard to where they are."

"Like at a restaurant?"

"Yes! Or anywhere in public for that matter. No child should think the world revolves around them. Yes, they are special, but only to us, and they need to understand no one but mom and dad are going to tell them they're wonderful because they can breath air."

Brian tried not to laugh, but her comment was too much.

"I love that!" he said as the laughter spilled out. "So...no trophy for breathing then?"

"Don't even get me started on that stuff!" Rita said. "I worked my as...my butt off...to get through college and medical school and then my residency. No one ever handed me anything for showing up and trying."

Almost immediately she said, "Sorry. I rarely ever get worked up, but that's a hot-button issue for me. I don't want my child raised in a...boot camp kind of situation...but I could never raise him in a no-rules world, either."

"I agree, and it's pretty obvious you've done a great job with Rik. And I'm going to venture a guess that your husband set a good example for him, too."

"He was so good for Rik!" Rita said admiringly. "And for me."

"I really am sorry that the two of you lost him," Brian said as sincerely as he could.

"Me, too," she said. "But we either adapt to what life sends our way or it eats us alive."

Brian sort of cocked his head as he sat there and just looked at her.

"Okay, what is it this time?" she asked with a sweet smile.

"I'm just amazed at how much I agree with you on so many things."

Rita smiled happily then asked, "So...what's your favorite classic movie?"

"Oh, well, let's see. I suppose it depends on the category. If you like thrillers it's hard to beat Psycho, although The Birds is pretty great, too. For drama, there's the Godfather series and Gone With the Wind. But I also love Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon."

Rita smiled the entire time then said, "Keep going. Maybe we'll disagree on one here eventually."

Brian laughed again then continued.

"I still love The Wizard of Oz. And I could watch It's a Wonderful Life every Christmas."

He stopped and asked, "How about you? What are your favorites?"

"Okay, well, I love Rebel Without a Cause," she began. "And I really liked A Streetcar Named Desire. Oh, and don't ask me why, but I love Dr. Strangelove!"

Out of nowhere, Brian did his best to imitate George C. Scott's freakout about the Russian ambassador seeing 'THE BIG BOARD!' causing Rita to laugh so hard she had to cover her mouth.

"Exactly!" she said as she laughed. "And that name!"

"Right. Ambassador...Kissoff. That's hilarious!"

"I have the DVD," Rita said.

"Well, what are you waiting for, woman! Break that baby out!"

Five minutes later, they were eating popcorn for dessert and watching the classic black and white movie. Rita asked Rik to join them, and although he had trouble following the plot, he toughed it out and watched it with them.

"I guess if you have no idea what the Cold War was, none of this would make sense," Brian said after Rik said for the third time he was completely lost.

When the movie ended he and his mom explained 'the Red scare' and how people feared the end of the world in a fiery ball of nuclear annihilation.

"Oh, so that's why the phone went dead at the end," he said, putting it all together.

"Nice job!" Brian told him, offering another high five.

There was another moment of quiet so Brian suggested it really was time for him to go, and as much as Rita was enjoying his company, she knew he was right. He said goodbye to Rik who went back to his room while his mom walked their guest to the front door.

"Thank you for having me over," Brian told her.

"I'm glad you came," Rita said sweetly with another warm smile.

She put her arms around his neck then said, "I'm also very glad you're okay."

"Right. Thank you for that...too," he said with a smile of his own before he leaned in and kissed her.

Unlike the others, this was most definitely a very romantic kiss that lasted for several seconds. When it ended, Rita rested her head on his shoulder and didn't say a word.

"Are you learning to trust me yet when I tell you how much I care about you?" Brian asked very quietly.

She pulled back a little, smiled at him, then said, "Yes. And although I still don't know why, I have to say it's very nice."

"I love when you smile," he told her with a smile of his own.

"I find myself wanting to smile all the time when you're around," she admitted.

"That makes me very happy," Brian told her.

"So will I see you again soon?" she asked hopefully.

"Is tomorrow too soon?"

"Um...I think I can wait that long to see my handsome golf instructor," she told him, her eyes almost 'sparkling' with happiness.

"Do you want to try golf? Real golf?"

"I'm terrible at it, but if it's with you then, yes. I'd like that very much."

"I did kind of promise, and who knows when the weather will turn cold, right?"

"Yes, it won't be long now, huh?" she said.

"Is it okay to say I'd love to spend an evening on the couch with you wrapped up in a blanket with a fire roaring in the fireplace?" he asked as he ran his hand along her cheek.

"It's very okay," she told him just as he kissed her again.

"Then I'll see you tomorrow morning around 9am?"

"All right. We'll be ready," Rita told him as she slowly let him go. "Drive carefully."

"I will," he promised.

After she let him out, Rita stood there with her back to the door and tried to remember the last time she'd felt like that.

The answer was obvious. It was when Jake was still alive. It both seemed like yesterday as well as forever since she'd experienced anything so wonderful, and although she had no idea how long this might last, she planned on enjoying every minute of it while it did.

Both Rita and Brian noticed the dusting of snow on surrounding mountaintops when they went outside the following morning. September was still four days off, but the first 'snowfall' had nonetheless happened.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Rita said after Brian made mention of it.

"Yes. You are beautiful," he told her, causing her to smile and kiss him softly.

"Ah, man!" they both heard Rik say as he turned away to avoid seeing the kiss.

"Sorry, buddy," Brian said with a smile directed as his mom.

"It's okay. I just don't wanna see it. It's...obscene!"

Rita laughed then asked her son if he understood the meaning of that word.

"Duh! It means watching your mom kiss some guy," Rik informed her after he turned back around.

"Well, I may be making—a scene—by occasionally being...ob-scene," she informed him.

"What-EVER!" Rik replied as he held up a hand.

"You ready to hit the links?" Brian asked him.

"The links?"

"Yeah. That's what people call a golf course," Brian explained.

"The only links I know are sausage links, and I LOVE those!" the boy said.

"Uh-huh. And someone ate five of them this morning for breakfast," his mom teased.

"But they're SO good!" Rik said in his defense. "So are cheesy eggs. And pancakes. And waffles. Hey, we haven't had waffles in a long time."

"Oh, right. It's been nearly a week. I'll get right on that," Rita said, trying not to laugh.

Brian leaned over and said, "What kind of mom deprives her child of waffles for that length of time?"

Rita laughed and gave him a playful shove.

"Okay. Let's get started so we can finish this and my humiliation can end," she said as they headed for the first tee.

Rik wanted to go first, and the adults agreed. He took a few practice swings which Brian thought looked pretty good, then teed the ball up and fired.

"Nice shot!" Brian said as the ball sailed well over a hundred yards and nearly straight.

Rita insisted on being last so Brian fired off a beautiful shot that landed 210 yards down the fairway, setting him up for a chip to the green on this par 4 hole.

After whiffing on her first try, Rita asked for help.

"Oh, I see. Someone's looking for an excuse to have her golf coach get up close and personal, huh?" he teased as he walked up to her.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 23 milliseconds