Wolf Lake Ch. 05

They were tearing at each other but Natasha new better then to put herself between the two of them. She watched as the man she had come to love was ripped apart. Looking around she searched for something, anything that she could use as a weapon. Her breath caught and she would have burst into tears if she'd had the strength because standing on the other side of the small camp, his mate and several of their pack members behind him was Nafarius.

Nafarius struggled to get his fear and anger under control. Watching his brother tear into his best friend while another of his pack members lay raped and battered caused something inside of him to snap. He'd come here prepared to offer his brother a dignified death in battle but all thoughts of honor were pushed aside. Tossing his staff to the ground, Nafarius dropped to the ground and launched himself at Nicholas.

He collided with enough force to throw them free of Roland who was lay still and unmoving. Giving no thought to what they use to be, to the fact that they once played together as children Nafarius tore into Nicholas reopening wounds, tearing tissue and breaking bones with his claws and teeth. It wasn't until Sam and two others pulled him up and off that Nafarius realized his brother was dead.

After one violent shudder Nafarius bent down and gathered Roland in his arms. Without another look back he stalked out of the clearing and back towards home. Sam helped Natasha to her feet and encouraged the younger woman to lean on her as they slowly made their way home. No one bothered to bury the dead but instead decided to let them rot where they had fallen, food for the scavengers.

It was several days later before Roland was well enough to talk and it was another few days before Nafarius had calmed down enough. He was furious with his second-in-command for taking off against his orders and for putting himself in danger. It had been touch and go there for a while, Sam hadn't been sure if Roland had enough strength left in him to heal himself. She spent several days sleeping beside the injured man until she was sure he would survive.

Natasha was another matter. She was quiet and withdrawn but she stayed with Roland. She had spent several hours talking with Nafarius and with Sam until both of them were sure she would be okay. The rest of the pack offered her their silent support making sure that she had enough to eat and often times sitting with her while Roland healed.

Roland finally managed to drag himself out of his alcove and went to find Nafarius. He knew that he was in for the lecture of a lifetime as well as a severe punishment. But it was what he deserved. Roland had disobeyed a direct order from his leader and if Nafarius was going to ensure obedience he couldn't afford to let something like that go unpunished.

"Nafarius." Roland found him standing outside in the clearing, the late summer sun highlighting the red in his hair.

Nafarius turned and glared at him. "I'm not sure I'm ready to talk to you yet."

"Fine, then I'll talk. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have disobeyed you. I'll understand if you would rather have someone else take my place as your second. I don't deserve to serve beside you. I should have been a better example to the rest of the pack but instead I let you down." Roland hung his head in shame. He wasn't particularly happy about giving up his position but it was be a just and fitting punishment.

"Are you finished?" Nafarius didn't wait for an answer. "You were completely out of line, you put yourself, Natasha and the rest of the pack in danger by rushing into a situation on your own. I expect more from my second-in-command." Nafarius took a deep breath, knowing that Roland was waiting for Nafarius to relieve him he intentionally drew the moment out. "Don't let it happen again!" Nafarius smiled at Roland's surprised expression. "For what it's worth I would have done the same thing if it had been Sam." Slapping his best friend on the back, Nafarius led Roland back towards the mountain.

Stay tuned for Maddie's story...

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 27 milliseconds