A Beauteous Flower Ch. 20

"I'm on my period!" Cassidy trilled to Burt with a comfortable grin. "I look like shit! I don't even have any make up on!"

Burt studied Cassidy for a moment with a calm look of sympathy.

"Well, then we should have some chocolate for dessert; I think you look positively stellar; and I haven't got any make up on either."

Cassidy blushed gratefully and Madison sensed that at this particular moment she might be a distraction. She decided to fade away so as not to interfere with the comfortable alchemy between Cassidy and Burt.

"Um. Excuse me you two, but I have to use the lady's room," Madison interjected, but Cassidy and Burt didn't notice. They were in their own bubble, locked together in a dreamy gaze.

On her way out, Madison stopped at the host station to leave a credit card number to pay for their meal. While she waited, she glanced back at the table. Briefly Madison wondered if she should leave Cassidy with no wing-woman, but then she saw Cassidy and Burt smile and giggle together like they were all alone and had forgotten anyone else was even in the building. It was a scene so sweet and romantic that Madison teared up as she left the restaurant. Some things, she guessed, were just meant to be.

*****

Days turned to weeks, which turned to months, which turned to years until one day Madison found herself in Mrs. Selene's place. Dr. and Mrs. Selene both passed away with their customary graceful elegance and left their estate, which included the football team, to their son, Richard, whom Daniel counted as a friend. At Richard's request Madison accepted the position as executive director of the dance team and sought to carry on Mrs. Selene's legacy of ladylike grace and poise as hostess of magnificent parties and clandestine and successful matchmaker.

Invitations to every party that she and Daniel threw were coveted, but this particular party was special. This party had a youthful flair to it and many young men and women circulated around and socialized. They were mainly the sons and daughters of their friends and family, but their children's friends were also present. One of them didn't know it yet, but she was a very special guest.

As was their habit, Madison and Daniel mingled with their guests in separate orbits that intersected at regular intervals to allow the guests to transition from one sphere of influence to another. They were at the apogee of their latest orbit when Madison saw Daniel smile his admiration from across the room. In return, Madison posed subtly with a clandestine smile over her champagne glass. Their subtle and secret flirtation flitted between them across the room.

With Madison's love as a foundation, Daniel's confidence in crowds had blossomed, and he became the elegant star she had always known he could be. Daniel effortlessly charmed everyone around him, just as Mrs. Selene had observed that night long ago. In return, Daniel had always seen the best in Madison since that night in the garden, even when she and the rest of the world didn't see it; even when she was at her worst. Over the years they had kept each other warm and safe and grounded and loved, and, as always, the champagne was pink and demi-sec and, therefore, doubly and bubbly thoughtful.

She got a familiar tingle up her spine as Daniel returned her toast with a wink. He was older now. His hair was thinner and touched with distinguished gray. He was thicker around the middle and had what people referred to as a "dad-bod", but his smirk still brought that warm glow that she thrived on and she counted herself a very lucky woman. To her Daniel was still the most delectable man in the world; the man of her dreams and the man of her darkest fantasies come to life.

With a slight incline of his head to her, Daniel slid seamlessly back into his conversation with the circle of guests that surrounded him. To his left his best friend Burt and her best friend Cassidy, still as fiercely and tenderly devoted to each other as husband and wife as they had been when they met in Chili's, laughed heartily as Daniel reached the punchline of his story. Burt and Cassidy lived across the lake with their two sons, Mark and Matthew, and twice a year hosted huge LARP events on their sprawling property upstate.

To Madison's left, the laughter at the bar announced the presence of Adalina and her oil-man husband, Glen. Somehow Adalina found a man that matched her energy and the two of fell madly in love with each other in the course of a weekend at a bed and breakfast near a local ski resort, even though neither Adalina or Glen ever skied a day in their lives. Together they shot like a meteor across the city's society set. Their passion for each other had produced five children, four boys and a girl, and despite childbirth, Adalina still was a sexy mamacita in barely- there-skirts, and stacked high heels and could still do a magnificently florid aerial.

Ivy joined Adalina with her husband Eric in tow. Eric was a bookish real estate lawyer that Ivy dug out of the stacks of the local library, and they had a son and a daughter and a comfortable colonial off by itself in the woods. Impossible as it seemed, the detached and businesslike Ivy was thoroughly smitten with her husband, and their evident love for each other made Ivy's previously pouty and morose countenance radiate like a bright firework of joy. Madison took a moment to admire Ivy's shoes with a twinge of jealousy.

Together, Adalina and Ivy opened a dance studio called "Attitude in Action" and their dance teams always placed well in national tournaments. Adalina's boundless enthusiasm and Ivy's business smarts combined to create a raging success, and they were currently in talks to establish a franchise.

Kelly could not attend and had sent her regrets. She and her husband Tom were unavailable because their youngest of six children was under the weather. After she quit the cheer team, Kelly returned home where she met Tom and they bought an old dude ranch, spruced it up, renamed it "The Kozy K" and marketed it on the internet as a destination for weddings, business retreats and other functions. Daniel and Madison had renewed their vows in the barn on their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary and gave the place five stars on Yelp. "Ms. Kelly", still honey sweet and country gorgeous, posted weekly videos on social media about the various events they hosted.

Of her dance team friends, Moira was the only mystery. After she left the team, Moira set off to see the world and posted travel vlogs from exotic destinations for two years. Then, on a ski trip to the French Alps, she had met an Italian ski bum named Gianfranco who had inherited ridiculous millions. Madison and Daniel attended their wedding in Rome on a bright spring day and for years afterwards Madison got Christmas cards with pictures of Moria and Giranfranco's young family as they traveled all over the world together. Tragically, one year the Christmas card didn't come, and a rumor circulated about a small plane crash somewhere in the Andes Mountains. Google searches were vague, so Madison still hoped against hope that the rumor wasn't true.

Madison scanned the room with satisfaction until her eyes settled on her twenty-four-year-old son, Michael, who cautiously surveyed the roomful of partygoers from off to one side. He fidgeted with his cuff links and kept to the shadows, nervous and uncertain about the crowd. Tonight, he was doubly anxious as several of his sisters' friends circulated merrily through the crowd. Michael had always been a curiosity to them, but he always held himself slightly aloof, probably out of insecurity.

His aloofness tended to put off most young ladies his age and as a result he did not have many girlfriends. Like his father, he was a nerd and not at all sure where he fit in the vast herd of humanity. Michael was Madison's oldest child, and she knew him as she knew herself. He would need a gentle push to find love in his life, and that was exactly what Madison intended.

With Michael's birth, Madison and Rosalina found common ground. With a family of her own, Madison finally understood and forgave Rosalina that tense afternoon of spicy lasagna, and Rosalina finally forgave Madison for the scar Madison had placed on Daniel's soul. There relationship had mellowed into peaceful understanding that only mothers with families that they dearly and singularly loved shared. One of the greatest gifts Madison had ever received was when Rosalina lay on her deathbed, she took Madison's hand and told Madison that her son had chosen a beautiful woman for a wife and that Rosalina felt she could die secure in the knowledge that Daniel was safe in Madison's care. Rosalina passed in her sleep later that night, and Madison felt privileged and proud to be there at her side, and to be Daniel's someone who he turned to after Rosalina was gone.

Madison caught Michael's eye beckoned him to her and he looked relieved to have something to do. He stuck his hands in his pockets and ambled over and smirked at her from under his bangs. Madison's heart glowed at the sight. So much like his father.

"Hi, mom."

Madison maternally fussed over her son's hair and smiled at him.

"You look so handsome in your new suit," she admired. "Relax, please. There are so many nice young ladies here. Enjoy yourself!"

Michael looked around sheepishly and his head sank towards his shoulders.

"Aww, mom."

Michael looked at the toes of his wingtips in a way that again reminded Madison so much of Daniel. Michael was a chip off the old block, kind, shy, quiet, darkly handsome, effortlessly charming, and he brimmed with talent as a recently acclaimed concert pianist. Like Daniel he had viewed school with a mixture of horror and disgust, but fortunately he had Daniel to help him negotiate the fraught waters of his teen aged years as a reclusive, yet budding artist. And, whether Michael knew it or not yet, he also brimmed with the same nascent charm as his father.

Madison kissed her son's cheek and discretely glanced over his shoulder at a young woman with a pile of blonde cutie-pie curls on her head, hazel eyes over high cheekbones, pouty plump lips, and a darling little turned up nose. She wore a blue silk sleeveless gown with a high collar and a slit up her left leg, accented with silver jewelry and silver sling back heels. Her outfit had Deva's couture fingerprints all over it and when a tiny, delicate henna tattoo on her left hand showed, Madison knew for sure the young woman was a recent customer at Deva's boutique.

At the thought of Deva, Madison got a tiny pang. Unfortunately, Deva's husband had recently lost his battle with cancer, so Madison sympathized when Deva begged off. They made plans for a quiet cup of tea, and Madison politely left Deva in the care of her two daughters, who helped Deva run one of the most popular boutiques in the city.

While Madison watched, the blonde girl gazed a bit too long before she turned her eyes away from Michael, but not quite fast enough to elude the notice of her careful mother's eye. Madison knew the signs of a smitten kitten when she saw one, and Madison's maternal radar unerringly detected the hopefully moon-eyed glances the blonde girl threw at Michael that night. Michael hadn't noticed her interest yet, but Madison had a plan to change that during this special party.

"Please tell your father I need him, and please play the piano for me. Just twenty minutes."

Michael shuffled and glanced at the crowd nervously.

"Mom, I don't really want to play right now."

Madison patted his arm.

"Oh, please do it for me, dear. Everyone will be so disappointed if you don't."

Michael sighed his resignation.

"OK, mom. Just for you."

"That's my Michael. Thank you!"

Michael ambled off towards his father's group and Madison smiled after him. He was so much like his father; studious, reserved and gentlemanly.

Just then her twin twenty-year-old daughters, Eowyn and Arya, appeared with their respective knots of friends. Eowyn and Arya both did credit to their namesakes. When Daniel suggested the names for the girls, Madison had been reluctant at the oddness, but then came around enthusiastically after he explained the logic behind his suggestions. Each was fierce and compassionate, and Eowyn and Arya were sculptures of young women who were just about to come into their own. They filled Madison with pride.

Her daughters were fraternal twins and while they shared a birthday, their aspects and features were completely unique. Willowy and spirited, Eowyn was a neat blend of Madison and Daniel's finer, more gracile traits. Arya was slightly shorter and more pragmatic with a determined fire in her eyes. Both were strikingly pretty in their own unique way, and, like their father, they bristled with keen and incisive intellectual firepower. Both excelled in their educations and the sports they chose to play.

Neither of them lacked suitors, but much to Madison's great pride, they heeded her advice and showed proper appreciation for all the attention they received and did not casually take those suitors for granted. Madison was sure that when the time was right, the right men would take their place at her daughters' sides. Until then Madison hoped these parties would expose them to just the right type of men. Beautiful men like their brother. Like their father.

With regards to their brother, both girls were intensely protective of their bookish older sibling. More than one person had felt the dual wrath of Michael's sisters if they attempted to make Michael feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. As far as Madison knew, they never spoke a cross word of him, and any woman who would date Michael would have to pass muster with his fiercely loyal and protective sisters.

Eowyn and Aria introduced their friends to Madison. Madison bestowed a bright welcome on them all, and discreetly reminded them that they were too young to partake of the open bar, but there was plenty of food and dancing to enjoy this evening.

"I'm so happy that you all could come," Madison chimed hospitably to the young ladies as she had learned from Mrs. Selene's example years ago. "Please make yourselves comfortable and enjoy the party!"

The young women all nodded and murmured their thanks, while their eyes scouted around the room for the clumps of young men that trolled expectantly. Gradually the knot of young women melted away in pairs or trios to search out companions for the evening until only Eowyn, Arya and the blonde girl remained. Madison noted that, try as she might, the blonde girl could hardly take her eyes off Michael. Madison turned to Eowyn.

"Introduce me to your friend, dear."

"This is Melissa. We call her Misty though."

The blonde girl blushed a gentle hue of peach and looked down.

"And why is that?" Madison smiled to the blonde girl.

"I... I get... ummmm..."

"She cries at romantic movies," finished Arya with her father's smile. "We showed her Casablanca and she cried herself to sleep for a week."

Melissa twisted her hands in miserable embarrassment, so Madison patted her arm reassuringly.

"That's quite alright, dear," Madison intoned as she touched Arya in the ribs with a reproachful elbow. "Casablanca is one of my favorite movies, and I always find it emotional. Besides, I think it's very becoming of a young woman to be a romantic."

Misty smiled gratefully and Madison gave her arm a bolstering squeeze. Just then Michael spilled a dramatic introductory ripple of musical notes over the low din of the party. All eyes turned to him, and an expectant hush fell as he posed with his fingers poised on the keys. One of the few places he appeared confident and at ease was at the piano, and Madison could tell from his opening fusillade that tonight his talent would shine elegantly. After a polite moment of silence, Michael caressed the first chords of Chopin's Nocturnes Op. 9 No. 2 out of the old Steinway baby grand piano. As Madison expected, his music cast a sultry spell over the evening and at her gesture, the bartender dimmed the lights slightly.

Michael closed his eyes and let his passion flow out in a deft display of prowess. As he played, Madison noted out of the corner of her eye how Melissa's eyes riveted on to Michael. It seems Michael's sisters had chosen wisely, and Madison surreptitiously nodded her approval to them both. A romantically crystal tear eased onto Misty's high cheek bones as Madison drew up next to her and whispered in Melissa's ear.

"Misty, be a dear, would you? Please go with Eowyn. Let her introduce you and then you ask Michael to play me some cocktail jazz," Madison whispered with a touch of mischief in her voice. "He'll know what I want to hear."

Melissa looked at Madison hopefully and Madison nodded encouragement while she beckoned for Eowyn. Eowyn winked in answer and then indicated with her head for Melissa to follow towards Michael. Melissa accompanied Eowyn to the piano in quiet reverence although an enraptured Michael didn't notice them until Eowyn tapped him on the shoulder. Michael looked up while he played and gave Eowyn and Melissa a shy smirk almost as if they had caught him out.

After Eowyn made an introduction, Melissa spoke to Michael, presumably to relay Madison's request for cocktail jazz, and he smiled his assent. Then he nodded at the piano bench and Melissa cautiously perched her cute self next to him as a sparrow might alight on a branch. Eowyn glided unnoticed out of the picture and Michael turned and whispered something to Melissa that made her blush that peach hue again. Then Michael adroitly shifted the melody from Chopin and the strains of "Misty" by Eroll Garner emanated from the piano in dulcet and sonorous tones. Melissa literally sparkled with joy when Michael winked at her.

"This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath, may prove a beauteous flower when we next meet," remarked Daniel as he sidled up behind her and took her hand. Together they watched Michael and Melissa separate themselves from the rest of the world with their own little private bubble of music and magic. Daniel gave her hand a gentle squeeze as Michael finished the number to polite applause which he didn't seem to hear. Instead, inspired by Melissa's presence, Michael did something he very rarely did, and accompanied himself on the piano as he sang the next number. His gentle baritone voice crooned sweetly, and Melissa gushed an enchanted smile at him.

"You must remember this,

A kiss is just a kiss,

a sigh is just a sigh,

The fundamental things apply,

As time goes by.

And when two lovers woo,

They still say, "I love you",

On that you can rely,

No matter what the future brings,

As time goes by.

Moonlight and love songs,

Are never out of date.

Hearts full of passion,

Jealousy and hate.

Woman needs man,

And man must have his mate,

That no one can deny.

It's still the same old story,

A fight for love and glory,

A case of do or die,

The world will always welcome lovers,

As time goes by.

Moonlight and love songs,

Are never out of date.

Hearts full of passion,

Jealousy and hate.

Woman needs man,

And man must have his mate,

That no one can deny.

It's still the same old story,

A fight for love and glory,

A case of do or die,

The world will always welcome lovers,

As time goes by."

"I love you, Daniel," Madison whispered as Daniel pulled her close so they could dance.

"I love you, Madison," he whispered back with his trademark smirk and a mischievous glimmer in his green eyes.

And again Madison found herself safe in Daniel's arms, the man of her brightest dreams and darkest fantasies, and Madison's romantic wish came true once and forever again.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 22 milliseconds