A Husband For Maria

Two weeks later, Maria was in the pool, slowly swimming around whe she felt a sharp stab, deep in her stomach, and she almost fainted from the pain. She screamed for Johnny to help her as she clung to the side of the pool. Johnny yelled for Carmelita as he leaped into the pool and carried her out in his arms. Carmelita took one look at the hurting, terrified girl and announced that she was losing her child. Carmelita and Johnny got her settled into a station-wagon and Juan set new speed records as he drove Johnny and Maria to the base hospital.

Maria woke from a dark and dreamless sleep. As she opened her eyes, she saw Johnny and Carmelita on either side of her bed. Major Shaw was there and he asked her how she felt. He checked her over and explained to her that she had miscarried the child, but that she would be fine in a week or so. Maria looked at Johnny with tears in her eyes and said sadly, "You don't have to be marrried to me now Johnny, you can have it annulled." Johnny just stared at Maria as tears rolled down his cheeks. He leaned close to her ear and whispered. "The only way this marriage will end is if you dont want me or with my death, I think you really do love me so you can count on fifty or sixty years with me. I love you totally and forever."

Two days later Maria went home. She was pampered by Carmelita and Johnny too. Johnny was back at work and Maria had little to do, so she called the University to find out how she had done in her finals. The Registrar told her that she had passed all of her exams and the only thing she had left to do was write her thesis and do the dissertation. She was very happy with the news that she had passed everything and that she could spend her time over the next year doing her research. Johnny was gone sometimes for a week at the time, but he always came home and one night, exactly one month after her miscarriage, she decided that it was time to make love again. She didn't mention it to Johnny at dinner but when they were about ready for bed, she told Johnny to finish his brandy, as she was going to wash her face and get ready for bed. Maria had gone to a lingerie shop and bought a lacy negligee. When Johnny sauntered through the bedroom door, he stopped dead still. There, standing in the door of the bathroom was an apparition. Maria Teresa Victoria De La Rosa O'Rourke stood there with her lacy things floating about her beautiful body. She smiled at Johnny, then crooked her finger at him and said in a sultry voice. "Hey flyboy, are you looking for a good time?"

That did it alright, and in moments they were tumbling into the bed. Johnny made love to Maria very slowly and gently. It wasn't very long though before the fire swept through their bodies and became raging. They scaled the heights of pleasure and experienced the bursting meteor that soared across the heavens of their love. They made mad, passionate love through the long and happy night. Finally Johnny told Maria that he had to go to sleep as he had to get up for work at six A.M.. Maira curled into a ball and Johnny fitted his body agianst hers and they both slept happily the rest of the night, what there was left of it.

Chapter 7

Johnny left at seven that morning and shortly after he arrived at work, he called Maria and told her to pack his uniforms, because he was leaving for the Middle East for ninety days. Maria was lost, she didn't know what uniforms he needed and she was getting into a real state of nerves when Carmelita came to the rescue again. Carmelita didn't do the packing, but she showed Maria what her man would need, and how to pack his uniforms properly. Johnny had taught Carmelita how to pack his uniforms and now Carmelita taught Maria. As Johnny raced into the driveway, Maria opened the door and lugged his B-4 bags out onto the patio. Johnny knew Carmelita had shown her how to pack, but he held her in is arms and told her how proud he was of her. "I love you my darling. and when I get back you may continue your efforts to seduce me, but I have to go now. Go see your folks and take Carmelita with you, she will bring them around if you can't."

Johnny kissed Maria longingly, then he turned to Carmelita, kissed her cheek, gave her a good squeeze and whispered, "take care of my girl.... Mother." Johnny climbed into the station wagon with Juan and was driven out to the base. When he was gone, Maria sat down and began to cry. Carmelita told her that there was a rule for for married life. She was allowed one hour to cry and one hour to make herself pretty...for a trip to Napa County and Maria's homecoming.

The drive to Napa, in Maria's Camaro was a de- lightful trip for Carmelita, but as they neared Napa, she could see Maria getting very tense.She told Maria, "Do not be afraid little one, I am with you and if you cannot explain your madness in marrying a man you knew only eight hours before you said yes to his proposal, I will explain to them just what sort of man your Johnny O'Rourke is. Leave it to Carmelita Delgaddo."

Maria relaxed somewhat. When they arrived at the De La Rosa vineyard, Maria drove slowly into the courtyard of the sprawling, Med-iterranean style home that dominated the Vineyard and Winery. Maria's Grandfather Victorio was the first to see Maria and he walked from the Winery to the house and opened her door. He took her her into his arms and kissed his only grandaughter. Maria knew that her Grandparents doted on her, but she must stand on her own and make her family understand her love for Johnny. Why she had married him and just how much she cared for her big Texan. Her twin brother Carlos told her that he only loved her new Camaro. Carmelita was introduced to the family and was made to feel welcome by the clan of Spaniards.

When everybody had gathered in the living room, after a tense dinner, Maria started to tell her story. She started and stopped several times, then turned to Carmelita, her eyes begging her to help.

Senora Carmelita Delgaddo stood up from her chair,walked over and stood in front of the massive stone fireplace. There she began to tell the story of Johnny O'Rourke and how Maria had come into their lives. "For a long time, my husband, Juan, and I worked for an old man up in Mendocino County. I was his housekeeper and cook while Juan ran the estate. There was a gardener, a driver and a maid to take of the house work. There was a nurse that assisted in the old man's medical care. One night in Janurary the old man died. I called his son, who had not been to see him once in the last two years.

The son arrived within hours. All of us who had worked on the estate were fired the moment that the son and his flashy wife got there. We were told to pack our bags and get off his land. He didn't even pay us what we had coming. There was no transportation available to take us into town to get somewhere else, so Juan and I began to walk. We told the others that we would send someone to help them when we got into town. As we were trudging along, a little blue car stopped and asked if he could be of any help to us. We accepted his offer of a ride and I sat on Juan's lap as we drove toward the little town. Johnny O'Rourke asked us if we were in some sort of trouble, as we were both very quiet, which for me is very exceptional. Juan explained what had happened to us and the others and how much we were worried about what would become of us now. We were too old to start over as we had been with the old man for twenty years. Johnny pulled the car to the side of the road and asked us if we would come and work for him. He told us about his home, and what our few and simple duties would be. He offered us almost double the salaries that we had been making with the old man. We accepted at once. It was not until we were on the train to San Rafael that we thought about what Johnny had done for us. He had bought our train tickets, given Juan a hundred dollars to get us to his home, and he had organized the sheriff to take care of the others. We have come to be more than his housekeeper and estate manager than would be normal. Juan and I have come to love Johnny like the son we never had.

One night a few months ago, our Johnny brought into his house one Maria Teresa Victoria De La Rosa, a very sad girl. She had been terribly wronged by an uncaring man at the University where she was in school. I liked this one, though Johnny had never brought any other girls into his home. I knew that there was something special about this Spanish beauty. As I was walking past the door to the den where they were sitting and talking, I heard him say that he would like to have the job of being herhusband. I couldn't believe what he had said, nor help myself when I barged in like a mother, and began to interrogate the two of them. When I asked Johnny how long he had known Maria, he said, "I've known her for eight hours and loved her for seven of them." It was so romantic that I bawled my eyes out. I urged Maria to accept him and when she finally did say OK, I bawled some more. I was there when they were married, and I saw them off on their honeymoon. Since they have returned I have taught Maria how to cook some, and how to pack his uniforms when he goes on overseas flights."

At that point Maria's father broke into the dissertation about Johnny O'Rourke by asking. "Uniforms? What uniforms?"

Maria said proudly, "My Johnny is a First Lieutenantin the United States Air Force and he pilots the C-130 'Hercules', all over the world." Then Maria stood up and walked to the fireplace and stood by Carmelita. "The story Carmelita has told you is true, except that she left some of it out." "No no, Maria you do not have to tell it all." Carmelita said with alarm in her voice. Maria held her head high and told Carmelita, "Yes I must tell all of it so my family will understand." Maria's eyes were cast toward the floor, her face reddened in shame.

"After our mid-term examinations, I celebrated with some of the other girls in my dorm. I had way too much to drink and passed out from the alcohol. I woke up next morning with a man in my bed. He had basically raped me as I knew noth-ing of what had happened to me the night before. I didn't say anything because I didn't want anyone to get into trouble. Then I discovered that I was the one in trouble. I was pregnant. When I confronted the boy, he just laughed at me and told me that I should learn to take care of myself. Then he walked away. I started to walk, like I do when I am worried about things, and finally ended up sitting on the bleachers of the baseball park and cried. I heard a man asking me if I was OK and I'm afraid I said some rude things to him, but he just stood there and said that he thought I needed some help. Finally I agreed to have dinner with him, eight hours later I agreed to marry him and give my illegitimate child a father. He knew all about it by then and still wanted to marry me because he thought that I was, beautiful, educated, well brought up and I needed him. We had been married for a month when I miscarried the child. I told Johnny that he didn't have to be married to me any more, since I had lost the child. Johnny just stood there and cried. He told me that the only his death would ever dissolve this marriage and that I had better be ready to spend fifty or more years with him. Johnny has shown me, really proven to me that he will love no one else, and I promise you that there will never be anyone else for me except my Texas flyer, Johnny O'Rourke."

It was very quiet in that room for several moments as everyone digested what they had just heard. Maria's Grandmother stood and reached for her. The tears were flowing all around as Maria cried and laughed on her Grandmother's shoulder. Then the whole family was around her. They had closed ranks, and the De La Rosa's would protect their own. Maria's father, Raul, went to Senora Carmelita Delgaddo and pulled her into the circle. She was clasped into the arms of the rest of the family, she was one of them too.

Maria decided that she would come up to the vineyard and stay for a month or so while Johnny was gone. As soon as she got her first letter, she would go. She didn't get a letter, she got a phone call. "Hi sweetheart," the voice said. "Johnny! Johnny!" Maria squealed happily. "How are youmy darling? I am fine, did you have a good trip over there? Where are you anyway? Carmelita and I went to Napa County and when we got through telling them the story of our long courtship, and I told them the true reason, Johnny they can't wait to meet you. I told them that we would come up for a weekend, two weeks after you get back. I'm going to stay up at the Vineyard for a month, don't you want to say anything darling?" Johnny's rich laughter was wonderful to her ears. He'd been gone for only two days and she missed him so much. After he told her everything about his flight and that he was in Spain, Maria gave him the address of the Vineyard and told him to write her letters there. She needed to have written proof of his love and to impress the country folks that she was getting letters from him.

Chapter 8

Maria got her first letter six days later at the winery. The mailman was so excited at seeing the Spanish stamps on a letter to Mrs. Maria Teresa Victoria De La Rosa O'Rourke at the De La Rosa Winery, that he brought it to the front door. When he rang the bell, he asked for Maria and would not allow anyone else to have it. Inside were pictures, post cards and souvenirs of Spain. The letter inside read.

Hello to all,

I am here in sunny Terrejon, Spain and am flying a lot. It's very warm her on the edge of the Mediterranean Sea. I am working on my tan. The people that I have met are very nice, but when I try to talk to them in my very bad Spanish, well they laugh a lot. I have called the De La Rosa family, (now actually the Torres Family) and I hope to get a chance to go up there while I am here. Well I have to go fly now, and I want to get this in the mail. My love to all....Johnny

Every one was excited about the goodies that Johny had sent. In his private letter to Maria, he told her. "About the only thing that is true in the main letter is that I am at Terrejon, and am flying a lot. We are supporting the NATO forces all over this area. You will probably see us on T.V., and if you see a 'Herc' that is all white with an orange tail and a big orange stripe around the fusalage, just behind the cockpit windows, that's us. Tom Jackson, Bill Denton and Jimmy Meyers are all with me. By the way, I forgot to tell you in all the rush to get over here, I am now the Aircraft Commander and these guys are my very own crew. It's not much fun here honey, and some of the places we're flying into are really terrible. I can't wait to get home and hold you in my arms. I miss you so. I never thought I would miss anyone like I miss you. I am looking forward to a great "reunion" with you in only a few weeks. Count the weeks my darling, not the months. It won't be long, my lovely Maria and I will be home to you. I have to go. I'll write more tonight while we are waiting to unload. I love you yesterday, today, tomorrow and always. All my love, Johnny.

Maria watched every news program for the next week, looking for Johnny's 'Herc', but never saw it. She kept each letter that Johnny wrote to her. She stayed at her folks place for two months. She told Johnny to write her at home after the fifteenth of the month as she was going home the to wait for him at their house. Johnny's last letter that she recieved at the winery arrived on the fourteenth. The letter told her to watch the driveway tomorrow. Maria couldn't sleep, she was trying to figure out what he letter meant.

Johnny's crew were sent back to their stateside base a little early. They touched down at nine A.M. on the morning of the fourteenth after a 27 hour flight from Spain. Johnny stopped by his squadron office and asked for two weeks leave. "Why do you want leave Johnny?" his squadron commander asked him. "So I can get married sir. In Maria's church. It'll make her very happy sir." Was Johnny's reply. "Then by all means do so Mr. O'Rourke, you have myblessing and your leave. Now get out of here and get some sleep."

Johnny went home and went to bed, sleeping until three A.M. the next morning. He got out of bed and dressed in his blue uniform. He pinned on his silver wings and silver bars. At four in the morning he took off for Napa County. At just after seven A.M. he turned the little blue Mercedes onto the long drive that led to the winery and Maria's childhood home.

Maria had been awake since dawn, wondering what she was suppose to look for. She was standing on the balcony that was off her bedroom, sipping a cup of coffee. She was watching for something to happen on the long driveway that led to the winery. She was wearing a pair of shorts and a comfortable halter top. Suddenly a scream burst from her lips. There coming up the drive was the blue Mercedes, with the top down and that blonde hair of her Johnny rippling in the breeze. As she ran down the stairs and out of the door she gave little whimpers of joy. Maria went bounding down the drive like a gazelle. She was fifty yards down the hill, screaming Johnny's name when he stopped the car and she ran laughing into his arms. Johnny held Maria tightly, not wanting to let her go. It was like heaven, she smelled good, she tasted good, and she felt divine.

"Oh God, Maria, I have missed you so much." Maria was laughing and crying and kissing him back...hard. Her hands were touching his face, his hands, all of him. Finally he let her go and they hopped into the car and went on up to the house, and her folks. As they got out of the car, Maria took Johnny's hand and led him to the group of people clustered around the door of the Family home. She introduced him to her parents, her grandparents, and he twin brother, Carlos. Carlos told Johnny to call him Charlie and that he loved his car.

Johnny felt as much at home as he had at Pete and Margie's ranch. He said to Victorio, "I can see that you look like your sister that I met in Spain. The eyes are the same, but hers are much prettier." Johnny added with a laugh.

Maria led him into the huge kitchen where breakfast was being prepared. The girls in the kitchen giggled behind their hands and sighed at Maria's handsome husband. She took him up the stairs and showed him 'her' room. Maria hurled herself into his arms and was kissing him like mad again. Oh Johnny, I'm so happy that you came here. I love you,I love you, I love you. My darling while you were gone I had no feeling in my heart, not even for being here at home. Now that you are here......Just you wait until tonight Lieutenant.

Both Johnny and Maria were laughing when they came down stairs to the crowded dining room. Breakfast was a noisy affair as everybody wanted to know about Maria's man. After answering a thousand questions, Johnny said to Maria.

"Do you remember that we talked about the taste of the 'Casa De La Rosa' wines in Spain? When we were leaving to go over there, I bought three cases of 'Vineyard De La Rosa' wines and took them over there with me. When I went to see Victor's sister, the one with the eyes of the De La Rosa clan, I took Jimmy Meyers with me as an interpreter, as he is fluent in Spanish. We spent two days tasting your wines and their wines. There difinitely is a difference in the taste. Finally, Desiree, who is Manual Torres' daughter.....Manual is your nephew Victor...anyway she chemically tested the two wines to find the difference.

She also tried tasting Jimmy Meyers by the way...Now we know the difference. In 1936 your sister, Caroline Victoria De La Rosa Torres, introduced a new grape, with her father's permission of course. The grape produced a wine that was entirely too sour to drink, but when it is mixed with the main wines that the De La Rosa vines produce, it gave it that tiny difference. I brought some of their wines back with me. They are in the car. I'll get them." Johnny went out to his car and loaded Carlos down with three cases of wine and brought a styrofoam cooler into the dining room. They placed the wine on the table and the cooler on the floor. The wines were opened and everybody was tasting wine. Victor declared that there was a different taste, though very subtle. Johnny asked for a bottle of 'Vinyard De La Rosa' wine. He took a bottle from the cooler and using a teaspoon, he mixed some from the plain green bottle with the freshly opened wine. Victor tasted it. His eyes opened wide and he said.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 56 milliseconds