A Misplaced Letter

Later just before sliding into sheets, she wondered what Mr. Curtis was doing. She smiled imagining him clad in boxers sliding into his own bed. The image was nice but she wished he were sliding into bed with her instead.

The next morning Miriam felt refreshed, she took special care in her appearance, wearing dark violet skirt that flared to just past her knees. She spun watching skirt spin outward in circle smiling for once. She finished dressing and glancing in mirror decided to put on some lip gloss and dab some perfume on. Eating a quick breakfast and before going to work. She nearly skipped down the hall halfway to her old desk before she recalled that she had been transferred and turned around her eyes slightly downcast. Running into someone, she apologized before looking up.

He had a terrible morning, all night he had tossed and turned seeing her reject him every time he closed his eyes. His clothes were rumpled and he hadn't bothered to shave. When he saw her turn, he was surprised she was there. When she ran into him and apologized he seized the moment.

"We need to talk," she heard him say, looking as if he hadn't slept. Her fingers slide up to his forehead, noticing the feel of stubble as her hand rubbed his cheek.

"You're hot."

The words sounded odd to him at first, then realizing she didn't mean it sexually he replied, "I think I must have caught what you had."

"Stress?" she asked fingers still on his forehead.

He wasn't sure what she meant all he knew was that he couldn't let her slip out of his fingers yet again, "Let's continue this in my office." His hand went to her back and they went through outer office. She bit her lip, seeing the perky blonde, thin modelesque women sitting there. "Hold all my calls, I don't want to be interrupted"

He opened the door as she went in; it felt the same as last time. Hard to believe it was less than a week ago that her world had changed.

"Sit," he asked, slumping into his chair. Trying to figure out the right words, she cautiously perched in chair feeling nervous and tense once again.

Silence descended upon the room, when his secretary buzzed him. He gritted his teeth, "Yes, Samantha?" he said between clenched teeth.

"Your morning appointment is here Mr. Douglas."

She hated how his new secretary called him by his first name. Miriam stood and said, "I'd better leave then,"

"Dinner?" he asked wanting to pin down a time to see her again.

"Sure," she wasn't able to say no.

"I'll pick you up after work." He was relieved and thinking it was going to be a long day.

"I'll see you then," she rushed out of his office and sped down to her new desk. She took morning to sort through the backlog got a quick bit to eat for lunch and then resumed her work. It was challenging, it was less complex in the sense that she didn't have to set up appointments and take phone calls. She was just doing research and compiling information about her new boss's clients, evidently her skills at creating an effective database had spread and she was enjoying the task. Time flew by and her new boss had to cough softly to gain her attention.

Douglas stood in doorway watching her work. He saw Jordan leaving his office and walking towards them.

"It's nearly six," Jordan broke her concentration.

She glanced up and smiled, "I'm just trying to catch up, you have a vast array of back ups, sorting through them will be a test of my system."

"Don't stay too long, wouldn't want you to overexert yourself your first day back on job. Douglas would have my head."

"I'd just torture you for a while," Douglas interrupted.

"Well, just let me get this last entry and I'll shut down."

He stood for few moments, he was wondering why Douglas had arranged her transfer, she was efficient, loyal and a hard worker, and easy on the eyes. What had taken him nearly a year to find wrong with her? Then arrange for a better paying job?

"Hungry? I like to get to know my new employees." Jordan asked with a smile. "My wife is a fabulous cook."

Glancing at clock one more time as she shut the computer down she nodded. "I don't want to be trouble though."

"No trouble, I'll just call Margaret and check to see what's for dinner." She slipped her shoes on and stood as he called. Her mind was on Douglas's body looming in the door.

"I hope you don't mind eating out, Maggie was taking a nap and doesn't feel like cooking tonight."

"Some other night then?" she asked hoping, to get out of it.

"Don't be ridiculous, Maggie is dying to meet you, she complains I only bring home boring male colleagues. She'll be delighted to have a woman around for a change. Why don't you come too Doug, I'll need someone around to talk to."

They drive to elegant restaurant in their separate vehicles, one following the other. They meet a very pregnant Maggie outside.

"When is your due date?" Miriam asked restraining her hand from reaching out to touch Maggie's protruding tummy.

"It's okay you can touch," she replied and rattled off, "one month and fifteen days, or so my doctor tells me. Then he usually adds that first pregnancies tend to go long." Maggie's eyes seemed to snap towards the men, "And I don't mean football."

The laughter broke up the audible tension. Entering the restaurant, it takes a moment for her eyes to adjust and she feels a hand on her back. Seeing Jordan helping his wife, she turned and found herself staring at Mr. Curtis.

Being seated quickly, they looked over menu. Miriam blushed slightly as she sensed Douglas's gaze from across the table. Jordan announced that the meal is on him, and Miriam should feel free to order anything she wants.

Maggie pointed out what's good, with Miriam nodding, and finally ordered the shrimp scampi. A moment of tension passed after they order, as Maggie quickly filled in happily chattering with Miriam. Miriam was drawn into the woman's enthusiasm and soon they were talking like old friends. Jordan watched them talking, and the look Douglas was giving Miriam. He wondered if he should bring up why Miriam was transferred to him, or if he should just thank Douglas for transferring her.

They talked about pregnancy, Miriam only showing slight envy. Jordan tried to draw Douglas into conversation but failed and was relieved when food arrived as it provided a welcome distraction.

Douglas ate his food, his eyes only on Miriam. Watching her soft lips move, as she drank and ate. It's only when Jordan kicked him that he realized someone asked him a question. "Sorry, this food is absolutely fantastic," he covered, taking a slow sip of his water.

"So, Doug when are you going to give up bachelor hood for fatherhood?"

He almost choked on the water as Maggie repeated her question. He glanced up seeing Miriam's flushed face. "I don't know, the right girl hasn't shown interest."

"You admit that you've met the right girl?" Maggie zeroed in on his words.

"Yes, and I guess in waiting for the right moment. I may be too late."

Miriam bit her lip, wondering who it was. Thinking that perhaps his erratic behavior was because he couldn't find right time to propose. He was probably buttering her up to ask her to help plan wedding. The kiss tugged at back of her mind, among other things, but she disregarded them as she faced the uncomfortable thought of someone else becoming Mrs. Curtis.

"There is no such thing as too late," Jordan interrupted trying to figure out what he was missing. It was as if someone had taken a puzzle and slowly rained the pieces over the table. All the pieces were there, but some were hiding, half were turned over, and all so small that no pattern was yet visible.

Maggie was oblivious to her husband's puzzlement and replied, "Better late than never." She patted her stomach and said, "As you can clearly see, sometimes you have to let nature take its course." She smiled lovingly at her husband.

He grinned back, missing the subdued mood of Miriam and the odd look on Doug's face.

Miriam ate quickly, no longer interested in the food before her. She just wanted this day to end and soon.

The bill came and Jordan paid, Miriam walking Maggie to her car. They talked a bit and made plans to go shopping the next weekend. Maggie makes the joke that if her husband weren't so completely besotted with her, she'd worry about him having such an attractive woman in the office.

Miriam blushed, shaking her head. Glancing back at restaurant she saw Douglas's dark form exiting the restaurant. "Don't worry, my heart has been pummeled enough already."

Maggie smiled and reassured her that she'd find someone.

Miriam slowly walked to her car seeing Douglas veer towards her. He fell into step with her, ignoring the gnawing feeling in pit of his stomach. "This wasn't the dinner I had in mind," he softly said as they reached her car.

Before she can reply his lips are over hers in a soft leisurely kiss. "Curtis," she whispers as he left her breathless, "we're in public." Miriam had forgotten the Mister in her confused and aroused state.

"Call me Douglas," he murmured, feeling confused himself. He wanted to kiss her again and again. On every inch of her skin, yet something was holding him back.

"Mr. Curtis, what did you intend then for this evening?" she was bristling, even as she enjoyed the kiss, she recalled every woman he had dated before. Miriam did not want to be just another woman in his life.

"Something more private," his fingers tipped her face up as he looked into her eyes.

"Such as?" the question leapt from her throat. She blushed even as she thought of what kind of sheets were on his bed as well as what kind of bed he had.

"My place," the words tumbled out before he could think twice. She must be thinking I'm a complete asshole, he thought before he could take it back however she was speaking.

"I don't know where you live," her voice was husky as she let herself fall under his spell. She would end it; all she needed was one night of passion to fuel her fantasies for the rest of her life.

He gulped; did she say what he just thought she said? "Follow me there?" he was nervous, it was all too simple.

"Okay," she could barely believe what was happening. Here she was allowing herself to be seduced by her boss. Only he wasn't her boss anymore and she could turn and go home at any time. Her knuckles were white as she gripped the steering wheel and followed his car. It stopped in front of an elegant condominium. Her knees were like Jell-O and she wasn't sure she could get out of the car all by herself.

He got out of his car and seeing her car stopped behind him, he pinched himself to make sure he wasn't dreaming. He walked over to car to prove to himself she was actually there.

It took her a few moments to gather up her courage as she looked out window and saw him there. She quickly got out of her car and stood in front of him, blinking reminding herself that this was real. Following him up to his apartment her heart was racing and mind spinning.

He fumbled with keys as he unlocked the door, and he watched her sit down. "Would you like something to drink?" he asked feeling like he was back in high school.

"No, I," she was going to say, 'I have to drive home tonight,' but instead finished with, "I've had enough tonight." Miriam fidgeted, the entire room smelled of him.

"Well then," he paused, he'd never felt this way before.

"Perhaps I should go," she rose and headed for door.

He was in front of her before she could blink. His large hand on the door, "Please. Stay."

Miriam felt so small, and when his lips descended upon hers, her knees went weak. "I," was all she got out before his lips captured hers again. Her knees buckled, feeling his hand on her back as he pulled her to him. "Oh," she murmured softly. She was mentally in his bed already when the phone rang.

"Let the machine pick it up," Douglas huskily whispered. His tongue ran along her lips, before another melting kiss. The phone rang and rang, and then machine picked up. In back of her mind she heard his voice then a women's.

"Hi sexy, this is Natasha." Everything beyond that was blocked out as he dashed to phone. Miriam looked down and kicked herself, what had she been thinking?

He finally hung up and her hand was on doorknob. Douglas's hand turned her towards him, lifting her chin, and planting another kiss. Suddenly he was picking her up and heading towards bedroom, like a caveman.

"Put me down," she murmured against his collarbone. It took all her will power to utter those words and hold the tears back.

"I can't," he huskily said nudging bedroom door open with his foot. Douglas laid her on the bed, leaning over her.

This kiss took her breath away, and her skin was on fire. When he moved to get something she stood a bit unsteady on her feet. "I can't."

"What?" he asked confused raking his fingers through his hair. He had never had a women deny him before, much less while in his bedroom.

She moved to door and shook her head. "I don't want to be another Natasha."

Her words floored him; he ran his fingers through his hair again. "What do you want?"

"I don't want to be hurt. I'm not the kind of woman that inspires lust in a man like you. I bet you never thought of my in a remotely romantic way until you read that stupid letter."

"I'd never hurt you," he whispered closing the space between them. "Just tell me you don't want this as much as I do and I'll let you go."

The problem was she wanted it more, Miriam fidgeted, "I don't want to get roses tomorrow, saying you had a great time and we should do it again sometime. I should know I sent enough roses from you before."

She knew him too well, he opened his mouth but she stopped him.

"Don't say it, even if we had fabulous night. Think about tomorrow, I'd sneak out before you turned me out. I'd be crushed as you avoided me and eventually change jobs. I like my new job. I don't want to switch jobs again. You'd be calling Natasha before the heat of my body left the sheets." She dragged the words painfully out.

"But if I let you leave, you and I will always wonder what if? I don't intend to live my life wondering." The kiss was potent, like a drug. "Whenever I saw another woman I would think of you." His fingers slide along the side of her neck.

"Mr. Douglas," her voice was soft, "please."

He couldn't let her go, but wouldn't make her stay. Douglas was torn, the way she had said his name, made his temperature rise. If only she were saying please don't stop. "I'll let you go on one condition." He was clinging to one last hope.

"What?" she had to get out of his bedroom the entire room suited him, masculine, strong, and warm.

"We remain friends. How about lunch Monday?"

"I can't Monday," she continued backing up she had to get away before her resolve crumbled.

"Tuesday then?" he pressed.

"Sure," she quickly said managing to get to door sweeping along living room snagging her purse and opening door.

"Bye," she heard him say as she rushed down hall.

He slammed his head into door. How could he have let her leave like that? Why oh why had he let her leave? Why did Natasha have to call? Right now all he could think of was a very cold shower. He tossed and turned most of night and weekend dragged by.

She was shaking in her car, barely able to breath, as her mind recalled how she had turned him down. Miriam didn't want to think of the what ifs, even as they haunted her throughout the weekend.

Monday, she was tired from restless nights and called into office. She told Jordan she preferred to work from home until she got system set up so she could concentrate on her work. He agreed and she headed into office and picked up slew of work.

Losing all track of time until her phone rang. It was Maggie, wondering if she still had time for lunch. Miriam said she'd manage and they met for a nice lunch.

Jordan was surprised to see Douglas storm into his office.

"You look like hell, tough weekend?" Jordan asked.

Douglas raked his fingers through his hair, "I didn't get much sleep."

"Must have been some woman," Jordan joked. "Who was she?" He asked, but look on Doug's face told him to change tactic. "Sounds like it wasn't pleasant?" Jordan hated to pry, but something was going on.

Douglas slumped down on chair, "I had her, there in my bedroom. Then she left. Just like that, up and left me alone in my bedroom."

"Who?" Jordan knew he was going to regret the answer even as he asked it again.

"Miriam," he raked his fingers through his hair, rumpling his already messy jet black hair.

"What!" Jordan stood, "you can't be serious. She worked for you, and you," he lost his train of thought. At least the tension of dinner last night made sense.

"Well, I couldn't very well date her when she worked for me now could I?" Doug countered pacing like a caged panther.

"No, are you serious about her? I mean, Friday night you mentioned meeting the 'right' woman."

"I can't stop thinking about her. Not seeing her is driving me nuts. The thought of her with someone else, tears me up inside. I don't know what in world to do."

"You have it bad, I hate to tell you this Doug, but you're in love."

Doug looked up at him and shook his head, "It's lust pure and simple," he muttered.

"Then get it out of your system."

"What do you think I was trying to do last night?"

"I'm not going there. I have work to do and so do you." Jordan decided that if Doug was in denial, there was nothing he could do about it.

Douglas left Jordan's office more upset than before. Love, he thought, no way. It was lust, pure and simple.

Meanwhile Miriam worked her magic on Jordan's files avoided Douglas's requests for lunch by working from home and found herself sleeping less and less.

It had taken a few months but she had managed it, working through Jordan's files in record time. He was extremely happy and asked about her health, as she looked pale when she gave him the CD set.

"Just a little tired," she said running her fingers up back of neck feeling a knot.

"You could take some time off? You've earned it." He tried not to think of Doug.

"Was thinking something different. I want out," she softly said knowing that the further she got from Douglas, the better.

"Why?" he was concerned, she was damn good employee.

"I miss my family. I feel the need for a change. It's been great working with you, but I need a fresh start. Besides being home for the holidays would be perfect gift."

He was tempted to mention Doug, but kept his mouth shut instead. "Fine, I'll work out the details. You'll be missed," he shook his head. He picked up her file, "You're from Colorado, right? I have a friend there that could use someone like you."

"Thanks," she said holding his hand, her eyes shining with happiness, Jordan hadn't seen in a long time.

Her apartment was a pile of boxes and she felt sadness at leaving, but she couldn't stay, the memories of Douglas, even if it was from that one night. Then again at his place, her skin heated up at the memory, part in desire, part embarrassment at acting so stupidly.

She glanced in mirror, she had lost a bit of weight, and exercise had filled up the empty hours. Miriam made a decision; she had to see Doug one last time. She redressed pulling a silky black slip over her head, the fabric sensual against her skin. Slipping on a simple violet dress over her head, the fabric clinging to her full figure. Dabbing on perfume and lipstick before she put on her coat. She steeled herself and drove over. She paused outside his door, what if he was with someone, what if he was asleep. Knocking, she licked her lips, a nervous gesture.

He opened door, and there she was, somehow looking demure and sexy at the same time. "Hello," he almost stuttered as she moved past him into the room. He watched her slide her purse onto the table, take her coat off, and before he could say anything she spoke.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds