A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 14

While he had little doubt that he could slay the woman without detection, such provided little means to endear himself further to the idealistic nobles of Vix. If it should become necessary to silence the priest and allow the poison to spread unchecked, Guy possessed the knowledge that would allow him to do so. As with so many of God's chosen, the handsome priest had fallen victim to the sins of the flesh -- many times. Only mutual shame for their actions kept the sins of the priest and his lovers silent.

With several avenues of opportunity aborning in the village, Guy left for a stream-fed pool in a nearby woodlet. After a thorough washing, he would retrieve his mount and await the appointed time for an important meeting.

****

"Well done," Guy congratulated his surrogate after receiving the promising report of the zealot's continuing descent into religious fervor. The man now possessed the means to act at any moment, requiring only a final push to send him over the edge.

"You promised me coin."

"So I did," Guy responded with a smile, producing his purse. "You promised me silence."

"You can trust me to keep quiet. I'm no fool."

Guy held out the coin, prompting his conspirator to reach for it. In that moment of avarice, Guy allowed the dagger in his sleeve to slip into his hand. The weapon had no more than settled in his palm before he utilized it.

As the wide-eyed man sank to his knees, Guy jerked his dagger free with a violent twist and said, "I too am no fool, and I do believe I can rest assured in your silence, now that you have served your purpose." He pushed his victim over backwards to ensure that the man faced the sky.

Guy squatted down and cleaned his blade on a scrap of cloth from his pocket, even as his victim expired with a final, rattling breath. A careful examination revealed only a little blood on his hand, easily removed, thus presenting no need to abandon the cloak he wore to cover his fine clothing.

Guy produced a container crafted from the antler of a deer, removing the wadding closing the broad end. He sprinkled the black powder within the wound liberally, and then stood to step into the lee of a large tree. Careful work sparked a flame on the stub of a candle Guy pulled from yet another pocket, which he shielded from the wind as he carried it back to the body.

He then selected a piece of deadwood from the ground that roughly matched the size of the hole hollowed into the butt of the candle. Once the candle was properly seated, Guy touched it to the wound and quickly stepped back.

He looked back after the smoke cleared to see the wound seared, the clothing surrounding it smoldering. "And so the evil wizard claims another victim with his fell magic."

****

Guy smiled, hearing two chambermaids cease their hushed conversation as he turned the corner. He'd paused for several seconds to listen before revealing his presence, and thus knew that they whispered about Rebecca.

Ah, the predictability of the pious, Guy thought as he passed the two women, hearing them return to their conversation. Knowing that his carefully seeded murmurs were seeping from the village into the castle, Guy proceeded down the hall with a quiet, smug chuckle to his chambers.

Word had already reached the Queen's two peasant knights, and Guy had taken the time to confirm to John that he too had heard the whispers in his travels this day. While few of the servants or other visitors appeared concerned, the Queen's inner circle certainly took the situation seriously.

As he approached his door, Guy saw a woman with a very prominent, hawk-like nose moving toward the stairs. The urge to sigh and smile both struck Guy as he closed his door behind him, shedding his cloak and rapier. In short order, the woman would return from delivering warm milk to Rebecca -- a nightly ritual that provided the only means of rest for the troubled woman.

Ever mindful that even a woman with such unattractive, disturbing features could very well prove useful, Guy had not excluded her from his charms since moving into the castle. That prudent decision had proven wise the moment the hawk-faced serving girl had been ordered to attend to Rebecca's nightly tonic.

Already vocally distrustful of Rebecca amongst her acquaintances in the staff, young Hilda had damned herself to the duty. Disliked by the cook, the matronly monarch of the kitchen had instantly chosen Hilda upon receiving the request to provide Rebecca's sleep aid.

Guy had likewise leapt upon the opportunity.

A stolen kiss and passionate whispers ensured she would find his chambers shortly after completing her duties for the day. Doubtless, she would have mentioned the visit to at least a few of the clucking hens in the castle, and word would quickly spread.

Guy sat awaiting her, his mind awhirl with other possibilities. Hilda presented but one course to facilitate Rebecca's departure from life, as did the hermit in the village. Passing on false revelations discovered in the afterglow of lovemaking to the Queen's inner circle could easily reveal poison in Rebecca's nightly tonic -- regrettably too late to save her from several nights of dosing.

With Hilda's open dislike of the brunette handmaiden offering a reason for the action, and Benedict's expected approval on the morrow, Guy's involvement would offer little opportunity for reproach. Should he choose Hilda as his weapon and play the game well, he might find gain in his necessary servitude to the wizard.

A quiet, hesitant knock snapped Guy from his musings. Shortly thereafter, Guy decided she was more than attractive enough when bent over his bed with her rounded bottom presented to him, her bunched up skirts hiding her face. He smoothed aside the pelt of curls hiding her sex and sank into her with a sigh.

****

Her warm milk and her troubles forgotten in his embrace, Rebecca shuddered and gasped from the power of her climax. Even as the grip of ecstasy tightened around her, Cedric groaned and reached his peak as well.

For long minutes, neither could move as they panted and gasped for breath, lost in the feeling of each other and the nearly simultaneous climax they had just shared. At last, Cedric reluctantly pulled free of her warm embrace to collapse on the bed beside her.

As her passions cooled, the events of the day once more intruded upon Rebecca's bliss. The hateful whispers tenaciously intruded to bring tears to her eyes.

"Rebecca, what is wrong?" Cedric asked, propping up on one elbow and looking at her with concern.

Feeling sullied as memories of the rumors emerging in the castle returned to her, Rebecca self-consciously covered her body as best she could with her arms, hiding her face and fighting against the sobs that threatened to overwhelm her. Even the rush of despair could not overwhelm Cedric's loving touch as he kissed her forehead and stroked her cheek.

Looking over at the man who loved her despite the odds, Rebecca summoned up the breath and the courage to speak. "You have heard what they say about me. Perhaps I should go. Even if I am not a danger to the Queen, I sully her by my very presence."

"I will hear nothing of this. I love you. Evelyn loves you. Let any man say such things in my presence and he will know the folly of his words." The fire in Cedric's eyes calmed almost as soon as it appeared. "Rebecca, these are but rumors from a few. We know the truth, and that is all that is important."

"Your words lighten my heart, my love," Rebecca said with a slight smile. She then sighed and said, "Let us not talk of this now. Hold me."

Having already sensed her need, Cedric's arms wrapped around her before she could even complete the request.

****

Benedict drummed his fingers on the desk as Guy finished speaking, staring into the man's eyes and seeking clues to what lay beyond. "As you doubtless know, this is nothing unknown to me."

"At the time I requested this audience, I believe my information would have been of more use, but that is the past," Guy responded with a dismissive gesture. "Such is not the only reason I sought to speak with you, Your Royal Excellency. I believe I may provide a great service, if you will indulge me?"

Benedict answered with only a nod of his head, his eyes still locked with Guy's.

"We cannot know whether the Queen's handmaiden represents a threat to her, but it is evident that the Queen will abide no such accusations in her presence. I believe it is equally evident that any harm befalling her handmaiden would cause the Queen great distress. I thus propose that in lifting the restrictions you have placed upon my movements in the castle, I might provide a blade to defend the woman in question, as well as eyes to observe her for signs of the wizard's treachery."

Though Evelyn knew nothing of the order, Benedict had indeed quietly commanded that none should grant Guy access to the immediate vicinity of the Queen's quarters save when she said otherwise. He considered the noble from Ural and the handmaiden equal threats, for a multitude of reasons. The Queen's acceptance of both vexed him considerably. "What leads you to believe that she is not already protected by her mere proximity to the Queen, or that the Queen's handmaiden is not carefully watched?"

"I have little doubt of your wisdom or prudent action in either, Your Royal Excellency. An additional skilled blade could prove a boon, however. I believe that my lack of familiarity with Rebecca may serve to grant me insight that your spies might otherwise overlook. I have my ways of obtaining information, as well."

Benedict tapped his thumb on the desk, considering Guy's words. While nothing the man had said changed the Chancellor's opinion, the possibility of keeping both Rebecca and the visiting Lord in close proximity was appealing. Guy had proven almost impossible to follow upon leaving the castle, forcing the Chancellor to spread his spies thin, often for little reward. The Queen could also prove troublesome if she discovered that Guy was kept at arm's length by design.

Knowing that the only way of truly discovering the motivations behind Guy's request was to grant it, Benedict said, "I will relax the restrictions upon your movement within the castle. If you discover anything of interest, you will report it directly to me -- no other."

"I pray I may be of assistance, Your Royal Excellency," Guy responded with a bow of his head -- which hid the smile in his eyes.

****

Guy soon discovered that within the proximity of the Queen, nearly every moment was now a council of war. Despite this and struggling with her own emotions, Evelyn still managed to make changes in her Kingdom that Guy knew would eventually congeal into radical change for the land of Vix.

He picked out the men chosen to watch him on Benedict's behalf within seconds of ascending the stairs to the Queen's floor. What they observed, however, was a man doing exactly as he'd told the Chancellor he would -- only the reason differed.

Seeing the conflict bordering on despair in Rebecca's features, Guy wondered if he might perhaps orchestrate something as simple as a suicide for the woman. A fall from one of the castle balconies would fulfill Bagdemagus' command easily enough, though Guy found little in the way of gain for himself.

Still, it was yet another possibility, if the need arose.

As the day wore on, Guy saw the emergence of conviction in the handmaiden's expression. < i>What have we here? He wondered, as Rebecca settled into a calm resolve. The woman was planning something, of that he had no doubt, and he intended to be ready to take advantage of it.

While the Queen, her knights, and her advisors discussed some educated speculation about where the wizard Bagdemagus laired, Rebecca touched her lover's shoulder and quietly said, "I feel a little faint. I think I will go down to the kitchen for some air and something to eat."

Understanding that she might feel uncomfortable about the discussion, Cedric nodded and clasped her hand for the briefest of moments. As Rebecca asked permission to withdraw from the Queen, Guy edged toward the stairs to descend before the handmaiden. He rolled his eyes when the spy chosen to follow him failed to see him lurking in the shadows until it was nearly too late.

The spy managed to move out of view of the staircase, passing on his duty to another who obviously believed he was hidden from Guy and the handmaiden now descending the stairs. While Rebecca took no note of the spy when she scanned her surroundings, Guy had little trouble seeing the man doing his best to observe both of his charges.

When Rebecca hurried off -- in the complete opposite direction of her stated destination -- Guy carefully followed, taking advantage of the lengthening shadows and corners to remain out of sight. He could only hope that the spy following him would do the same. As her movements made her destination plain, Guy hung back and moved to the center of the hall to avoid arousing suspicion amongst the servants now appearing in numbers.

A quick pass by a doorway confirmed Guy's guess when he saw Rebecca entering the stables. He waited long enough for her to enter, and then stepped out the doorway, angling his path to avoid detection from within the structure.

When Rebecca rode out a few minutes later, Guy hurried into the stable. He was pleased to note that the woman had a look of deep contemplation on her face and barely paid any attention to her surroundings as she rode. With practiced skill and speed, he saddled Judas and followed the handmaiden. Shortly thereafter, a glance confirmed that a mounted man followed him as well.

Guy smiled, hoping that one of the many things he'd nudged into motion would collide with the distracted woman this very evening. With a witness in tow, the right situation could provide him with the opportunity to find his own fortune in Rebecca's misfortune as well.

****

Benedict nodded, dismissing his spy with a wave. While Lord Dorr might very well ride to slay the handmaiden, such was of little import to the Chancellor. With both Guy and Rebecca outside the castle and well away from the Queen, they presented no threat worth his time.

Having come to grudgingly respect the Queen's strength, he had little doubt she would endure the death of her handmaiden if it should come to pass. If Guy's stated purpose was true, then he might very well gather useful information from the man.

Standing to adjust his clothing, Benedict prepared to inform the Queen of her handmaiden's stealthy departure.

****

Guy felt a rush of adrenaline as he saw a familiar face lurking near the small church where Rebecca's horse stood tethered. The man was obviously anxious, his head frequently bowed in prayer, lurking just out of sight of the church doors and windows. The hermit from the edge of town appeared to be playing directly into Guy's hands.

The word of Rebecca's arrival had quickly passed through the village, the undercurrent of distrust Guy had fostered lurking in the words and glances of many. Judging the position of the nervous, praying man and the spy following him, Guy moved toward the church to find an advantageous position that would hide him from the one and keep him in full view of the other.

Fighting hard to contain the energy welling up within him, Guy remained still and quiet, awaiting the handmaiden's emergence from the church. As the minutes passed, the internal battle became more difficult by the moment. He was on the verge of orchestrating some sort of minor disturbance that might attract the attention of those within when Rebecca walked out the front door of the church with the priest in tow.

"Go in peace, with the love of God, thy Father," the priest said, taking Rebecca's hand. "Now return to the Queen before night comes upon you."

"Thank you, Father," Rebecca said with a bow of her head.

The sound of a fast running horse caused Guy to turn. Seeing Cedric riding into town, Guy stifled a curse. The knight would surely prove a complication.

"God has no love for the whore of Lucifer!"

Guy turned at the sound of the shout, seeing the priest stumble back in surprise, attempting to pull Rebecca after him. He lost his grip even as Guy sprang into motion and Cedric drew closer, shouting Rebecca's name.

Facing the handmaiden, the zealot brandished a knife and charged, too overcome by his displaced anger at an adulterous wife and his religious zeal to question the decision to kill Rebecca for the good of all God's children.

Guy drew his rapier, the speed of his approach carefully calculated. If his now dead accomplice had truly performed as promised, this opportunity could not be wasted.

Behind the false Lord, Cedric jerked his horse's head upward, prompting the animal to slide to a stop. Even before the animal ceased moving, the knight leapt from his saddle, his sword emerging with a hiss, Rebecca's name a battle cry upon his lips. He knew he could not reach her in time, and the sudden appearance of Guy on the scene did little to lessen his fear. His pulse thundering in his ears, Cedric ran toward the scene of the battle, determined to defy the fates and save his love.

Guy planted his feet and shoved Rebecca in the nick of time. Rather than taking a mortal wound, the zealot's blade drew a line across her arm, narrowly missing Guy's side in the process. The handmaiden bounced off the doorjamb of the church, falling to the ground with a cry of surprise and pain.

Incompetent idiot, Guy thought as he turned on the zealot. He'd meant to take a minor wound in the process of saving Rebecca from the thrust, trusting his accomplice to have done what he was supposed to do. Anyone even remotely competent with a weapon would have struck Guy the glancing blow he'd aimed for.

"The devil is within you! His evil spreads from the whore!" The zealot shouted as he brought his weapon up for another attack, aimed at Guy this time. Flecks of foam decorated the man's lips as he screamed and thrust with the knife.

The years of practice and skill that had saved Guy from any number of attacks now served to once more repel a blow. The careful angling of his weapon not only turned aside the thrust, but also allowed the knife to draw a short line of blood on the back of Guy's hand.

Guy didn't even feel the pain of the cut. Having caused a wound, the zealot no longer served any purpose to Guy. His sword whipped, sending the man's dagger out wide, and then plunging into the zealot's heart.

As the man fell to the earth, Cedric turned in his course to join the battle, dropping to his knees next to Rebecca. John and a small company of arms men rode in to surround the church even as he did so.

"Rebecca!" Cedric gasped, helping her to rise and pressing his hand over her wound, even as he examined her for other injuries.

"Cedric -- oh Cedric," Rebecca sobbed.

"You're hurt, we must return you to the castle immediately." For now, Cedric bit off the whirl of thoughts demanding that he ask why she would leave the castle without protection in light of the rumors circulating through the land. Bunching his muscles, he helped Rebecca to her feet.

"Here, use this to bind her wound," Guy said as he produced a kerchief, stepping toward the couple.

Cedric eyed Guy distrustfully, but accepted the kerchief and did as the rogue had suggested. Guy cleaned his rapier on the dead man's clothing, sheathing the weapon immediately thereafter. Wrapping his own wound in the tail of his shirt, he moved to assist the panting priest to rise. The slight burning sensation in his hand and an odd glisten on the blade of the zealot's knife told Guy that the dead man had followed exactly according to plan.

Stepping toward Cedric and Rebecca once more, Guy said, "We should return quickly. You must persuade the Queen to issue a proclamation of her faith in her handmaiden. She is beloved of the people, and such should quell these foul rumors before another seeks to harm your young woman."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 20 milliseconds