A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 14

Cedric turned on Guy, "How is it that you came to be here?"

The spy that had followed Guy sheathed his own weapon as he approached through the ring of guardsmen keeping the curious villagers back. "His Royal Excellency the Chancellor is aware of Lord Dorr's intention to observe the lady. I, in turn, was charged with watching him. He did nothing more than follow until this man attacked."

"I feared for her safety, for the sake of the Queen," Guy lied.

Cedric turned to Guy and nodded with just the slightest evidence of gratitude in his eyes. He then turned back to Rebecca and asked, "Can you ride?"

Wincing and holding the improvised bandage on her arm, Rebecca nodded.

"John, you ride on her opposite side and remain close to ensure she does not fall. We ride quickly, but carefully."

John acknowledged his fellow knight's words with a nod and a clap on the man's shoulder, and then charged one of the men with him to take command of the others, dealing with the unpleasant business of the dead man.

Minutes later, Rebecca sat in her saddle between the two knights, Guy riding behind the trio. The burning in Guy's hand increased slightly, and he felt chills assaulting his body as they rode. Far from concerning the handsome rogue, the sensations threatened to pull the corners of his mouth up into a smile.

****

"C-cedric?" Rebecca gasped as she slumped in the saddle before the castle.

"Rebecca, what is..." Cedric gasped out a curse as the handmaiden's eyes closed and she started to slide from the saddle. With John's help, he managed to lower her safely to the ground.

On weak knees, Guy dismounted Judas and leaned against the animal. "Poison. The man's blade must have been poisoned," he said weakly, feeling the effects of the foul substance coursing through his blood as well. Though chilled to the bone, sweat ran in streams down his body.

"God protect us! Take them both inside, quickly!"

****

"Will they live?" John asked the Chancellor as the man emerged from Rebecca's room.

"I cannot say. Lord Dorr is conscious and breathes steadily."

"Rebecca?"

The Chancellor shook his head. "She grows weaker and her mind wanders."

****

Though the man tending him saw nothing, Guy stiffened when Bagdemagus appeared as if from nowhere next to the bed. He toyed with a charm attached to the chain of his timepiece, spinning it before his eyes, appearing to ignore the groaning man on the bed. Guy could see that the charm represented a stylized B, the silvery letter glittering in the flickering light of the room. Catching up the charm in his opposite hand, the wizard deposited his timepiece into a pocket.

"Well played, Lord Dorr -- if she should succumb to the poison. I suppose you trust your strength or a carefully built up tolerance to the toxin to save your own life. I truly hope that both come to pass, because you have proven yourself quite useful."

The wizard turned on his heel to leave the room, pausing before reaching the door and turning back to Guy. "I trust you will need no reminders to attend to my wishes before your own amusement in the future. I will not be so forgiving of further dalliance, should it happen again."

With that, the wizard exited the room, confident that Guy would recognize his mark on the women in time.

****

"Rebecca, you must be strong," Evelyn said as she watched her handmaiden's life slip away.

"Don't leave me," Cedric pleaded, holding Rebecca's hand tight in his own.

"P-perhaps it... It is better this way," Rebecca responded weakly.

"Please don't say that," Cedric said in a choked voice, a single tear flowing down his cheek.

"I am so cold," Rebecca said, her voice trailing off. She continued to speak in a low voice, but most of the words were jumbled and indecipherable.

"Can you do nothing?" Evelyn asked with a hard stare at the man tending to her handmaiden.

"I will do all I can," the man responded, and although he tried to moderate his tone, Evelyn could hear the doubt in the healer's voice.

Rebecca let out a choked gasp and trembled, her failing strength allowing no more than that in response to the pain coursing through her body. Turning toward Cedric, tears flowing freely from her eyes to mingle with the sheen of sweat that now ceased to flow from her pores, she looked up into his eyes. "I lo-love you. I... So sorry..." Once more her words trailed off as her breathing became ragged.

"I love you, Rebecca. You must hold on." His heart nearly stopped as her head slumped and she ceased to breathe for an agonizing few seconds. "Please," he begged when she once more drew breath.

****

Evelyn emerged from her handmaiden's room, her face a carefully controlled mask. She said not a word, but proceeded immediately to her room. Behind her, the healer emerged and shook his head. He closed the door behind him with a sigh.

Those awaiting news left with a heavy heart, returning to their own places with the knowledge that a day of sadness awaited them on the morrow. Only John remained, determined to show his support when his fellow knight at last emerged.

John waited until Cedric closed the door and leaned heavily against it, his forehead thumping into the wood. Laying his hand on John's shoulder, he said, "There was nothing more you could have done. You can only cherish her memory."

Cedric stood up straight, turning back to John. In his eyes, righteous anger flared as his features stiffened. "I can ensure that the man responsible for her death -- and so many others -- is made to pay for his crimes."

Looking around as if seeking the wizard, he declared, "Hear me now, Bagdemagus, you will fall. Devil or man, you will go to your punishment in Hell. Look into my eyes and see your fate, because it surely lies there."

Feeling the same anger well up within him, John said, "I stand with you. Though it cost us both our lives, we will see the wizard dead."

"Count your days, Bagdemagus, for they are surely numbered," Cedric declared in a low, confident rumble.

****

Unseen some distance down the hall, Bagdemagus scoffed, "I think not."

****

I hope you've enjoyed this chapter, despite the dark deeds of those in these pages. Red has crafted a wonderful world, and every author in the chain has contributed amazing characters to walk with hers through it. I'm tickled to add Guy to the mix and live in this world with them. Be sure to read the rest of the chain, because there's an amazing storyline here that you'll miss out on if you don't!

I was pressed for time on this one, so I made some last minute changes after Roust finished editing. Thus, any remaining errors are completely my fault *laugh*

Please take a moment to vote/comment, that's our only payment as free authors. That's what keeps us writing!

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 184 milliseconds