A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 19

There was only one way to find out — no matter how little he wanted to return to the political intrigue within the audience hall.

The guards admitted him to nods and murmurs of acknowledgment from those within, as well as a smile from Evelyn. The discussion currently revolved around preparing the defenses of the castle, and dealing with the loss of their commanding officer.

"How much can we depend upon the minor nobles to offer their soldiers in defense of the Kingdom at large, rather than just their own estates?" the Queen asked.

The answers were sparse — and alarmingly non-committal. John could tell immediately that most believed only the Chancellor knew the answer to that question, and that only his intervention could truly spur the nobility.

A knock sounded on the door. John took the initiative, since he hadn't strayed far from the door in the first place. He opened it a crack with his hand resting near his sword.

"Sir, Lord Guy Dorr wishes to bring news."

John scowled. The man was a solid sort, and not one he would have expected the smooth-talking Guy could have swayed. A glance beyond the guardsmen revealed Guy standing there, his expression unreadable.

Having little doubt that he could protect Evelyn if necessary, he seized the opportunity to possibly expose the charming rogue. "Send him in."

"If I may be so bold," Guy said almost as soon as he stepped in the door, "I believe I may have the very information you currently seek."

"And how exactly do you know what we were talking about?" John asked, causing Evelyn to give him a puzzled look, as she was about to speak to Guy.

"My hearing is quite acute, and the discussion rather spirited, good Sir Knight."

"And where exactly have you been?" John continued, ignoring protocol and going on the attack. So far as he was concerned, this was as much a battle as any with swords.

Guy nodded to him. "To my point. I have been upon a mission amongst the people..."

"Given by whom?"

Guy's unflappable expression cracked for a fraction of a second, letting John know that he was wearing on the man. "It is a task I took upon myself. Until I knew the truth of the matter, it was but speculation, and unworthy of bringing before the Queen or Chancellor."

"If he has news for us, let him deliver it," Evelyn finally intervened as both men stared each other down.

Guy turned, flourishing his cape dramatically as he bowed to her. "Thank you, your Majesty. I fear that what I have learned are dark tidings indeed. The commoners are ill-informed and afraid. The wealthy tradesmen prepare either to flee the nation or to treat with whoever should emerge as sovereign of the land. Such, I'm afraid is their nature. None can be depended upon for aid — or even as a moment's impediment."

He paused, mouth open as if to continue, but then closed it and cleared his throat. "Your Majesty, may I speak freely and frankly of what I have learned? I fear you may take offense to some of what I feel I must relate."

"Please do. I am no stranger to offense this day."

"Very well. In many quarters — especially amidst the minor nobles of the Kingdom — there is a fear that as a commoner raised to the nobility, you are unfit for the task of rule, and unprepared for the trials that lie before you. The nobility will offer what they must to maintain a visage of fealty, and nothing more."

John bristled, his teeth clenching. He nearly reached for his sword before a subtle gesture and a glance from Evelyn stayed his hand.

She then looked over the others assembled and asked, "Have any of you heard similar things? Though he is not with us, I believe Benedict has already confirmed his own feelings on the matter. It isn't his feelings that prompted me to send him to the dungeon, however. It is the open lack of respect from one charged with overseeing others in exactly that matter, and the interruption that forced my hand. Please, tell me openly and honestly what you have heard."

Even John had to admit that he'd overheard much the same, as those assembled spoke up, their spines stiffened by Guy's shocking statement and the Queen's easy acceptance of it. As little as John trusted the man, he knew that at least these words were true. The only question was what Guy stood to gain by speaking them.

"Then that does indeed answer the question I posed before your arrival, Lord Guy. It must be our own guard here who bear the brunt of responsibility. I suspected as much."

After a moment of contemplation, Evelyn said, "I think it may be wise to hold here for the time being. I will have food and drink brought, and I suggest that you should send word to wives and servants that we will be here for some time."

As the assemblage temporarily dissolved, Evelyn walked up to John. "I know you have a lot to think about. I can see it in your eyes. In time, I will need you here, but for now, please take the time you need. I'll send for you when I must."

"Evelyn, I..." He trailed off, realizing that he did indeed need to come to grips with what was to come. "Thank you."

"Go then, and remember, time is short."

The last was a stark reminder that he had to come to grips with his new role — and quickly.

****

"Guard," Benedict called through the barred window of his cell door. He knew they could hear him, as the acoustics of the dungeon were quite good. He could often hear every whimper or anguished groan before even reaching the bottom of the stairs.

A silhouette blocked the brighter light outside. "What?"

Muriel had convinced him. It was the sting of seeing disappointment in her eyes that had shocked him enough to force him to examine her words, but it was the truth of those words that won the battle. If any other had spoken to the Queen as he had, he would have sent them to rot in this very dungeon without hesitation.

His need to deliver harsh truths to the monarch he served did not extend to insulting his rightful ruler.

Evelyn had even offered him the chance to cease his insults without demanding an apology. Of course, he had spurned that unspoken and undeserved kindness. In the end, it may have been for the good. The Queen was taking decisive action, and now that his anger had cooled, he respected her for it.

"Please send for one who might take my words to the Queen." Benedict was a little surprised by the contriteness he heard in his own voice.

The previous harshness of the guard's voice vanished when he responded, "At once, Chancellor."

The minutes passed, filled with the sound of water dripping and the scurrying of unseen creatures. At last, he heard footsteps coming down the stairs, and then down the rough stone hall.

"Please open the door," the Queen asked. When it swung open, she said, "You wished to see me, Benedict?"

He knew he probably shouldn't be surprised that she had come instead of sending a servant, but he was. Her Knight, John, stood at her side, his face unreadable.

"My Queen, I wish to apologize for my behavior in the audience hall. I overstepped the bounds of my duties, and offered insult to you, whom I have pledged to serve. I implore you to look past my unforgivable words, because you will need my counsel in the hours to come. Though, my time here has given me pause to realize that I am in need of your patience and temperance as well."

"I ask only for the same respect you would demand of any other," Evelyn said, a smile creeping across her face. "We will reconvene soon. Your counsel is indeed needed, Chancellor. Time is short, and Cedric's fate hangs in the balance along with that of Vix."

****

Another sharp flash of pain wracked Cedric — so overwhelming that he couldn't even think well enough to know where the new wound was. By the time the spike faded, the general burning and throbbing of his body still made it impossible.

"Such heroic nonsense," Bagdemagus said.

Cedric barely heard him over the thunderous sound of his heartbeat in his ears. "Nothing from me," he slurred.

"Nothing, you say? Oh, you are so wrong Sir Cedric," the wizard sneered. "Any information you might provide is but a gift. What I require is your suffering, in exchange for the burning of my lair. You give me that with every moment of agony I inflict."

"Worth it."

"We shall see."

The pain resumed.

****

Hope you've enjoyed the ride, whether you're just reading to see how I filled in the blank left in the story, or you've arrived here after reading the previous chapters in the chain. This was originally supposed to be my chapter in the chain schedule, and circumstances forced me to bow out of the chain at the time. I'm happy to have finally contributed the chapter I promised, if very late and not under the best of circumstances *laugh*

Thanks to Red for the wonderful chain ideas. It's always a joy to participate in the chains and play with the strong, interesting characters she creates.

Please do vote ( only once per story/chapter! Multiple votes will just get removed anyway ) and comments are most welcome. Votes, Comments, and Favorite listings are the bread and butter of a free author.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 56 milliseconds