A Town Without Honor Ch. 04

"Hadn't given it much thought yet. It's a possibility. Don't know if I'd want to do it back home again," I said, between the bites of the sandwich I'd made of the eggs and toast.

Uncle Luke spoke up. "Maybe it's time you give it some thought. From what you were sayin', I don't imagine they have much longer before it's too late." He looked at me an uncomfortably long time. "Can't tell you what to do, but you need to ask yourself, who's the better man? How will you feel, destroying fifty families, kin of yours, and an entire community?"

"I wonder how they feel, destroying my life," I said, probably with more bitterness than I should have.

He took a long sip of the cup of tea he had in front of him. "I figure they're probably feeling rotten. I know I would be. People make mistakes, Honor. We all do. I know I've made my share."

Nanny appeared behind me, setting a bowl of eggs on the table. "Lord knows that's the truth," she laughed. She rubbed my hair, so much like my Uncle had that it gave me shivers. "Leave the lad alone. It's some holy show, what they did to him. When it's time, he'll do right."

Jane came in, as pretty as a Sunday morning, and grabbed a piece of the toast, nibbling on it. "Can't stay, Nanny. We're runnin' late."

I crammed the last of the impromptu sandwich into my mouth but was too slow to catch my coffee before Jane picked it up and took a sip. She put it down next to me. "Ready?" she asked.

I didn't know if she was in that big a hurry, or just wasn't up to facing another inquisition. I downed the last of my glass of water, then took a sip of the coffee. Jane had already taken my plate away and was rinsing it in the sink. I wouldn't have minded relaxing a bit and giving the aspirin a little more time to work their magic, but it wasn't worth fighting over. I stood. "Thanks again for dinner and breakfast."

"Bye Nanny, Grandpa. See ya later Uncle Darren," Jane said, with a kiss on the cheek for Uncle Luke.

Crap. I had it wrong. I could have sworn it was Darrel.

"Honor, if you got nothin' doin' today, perhaps you could stop by this afternoon," Darren said.

"Where?" I asked.

"Right across from Lena's place. Jane will show you."

"I'll do that. No plans, but I have to take care of a couple of things this morning. How about after lunch?"

"Whenever. You're welcome anytime."

I managed to escape after that and make it out to the bike. "You were in a hurry," I teased.

"If I stayed any longer, they'd put me to work. I would like to get cleaned up before work, and not go in smellin' like a brewery."

Her car was at the hotel and I dropped her off there. I got a nice warm kiss out of it. "See you tonight?" she asked.

"I figure I'll be around. Should I meet you somewhere?"

"Give me a call around six. Let me know where you're at."

I realized I didn't have her phone number, and it took a few minutes before she had put it in my phone. "It works here?" she asked.

"It works everywhere. I do a lot of international business."

"Of course." She gave me another peck. "I'm not the only one that could use a shower," she giggled, scrunching up her nose.

"Hint taken."

I made a lazy morning of it, taking a nap in my seldom used bed. I took a long shower and left my dirty clothes in one of the hotel laundry bags to be cleaned. I checked in at the desk to make sure there were no issues since I'd only been using the bed one night in three. No messages, and no complaints.

Sitting at the desk in my room, I checked in with Aunt Jean and made sure everything was going well. I gave her the invoice for the house decorator, and she assured me she'd take care of it. She quizzed me about returning, but I wasn't ready to commit to anything. "You know your daughter's birthday is in three weeks. You'll be here for that."

"Yes, I haven't forgotten," I assured her. "I doubt I'll be more than another week to ten days. It's a good three days minimum motorcycle ride, including the ferry."

She was quiet. "I don't want to pressure you, Honor, but Beth isn't doing well. If you could spare a few moments for her, it would go a long way."

"I plan to talk to her in just a little while."

I had a short talk with Roger Hammond, just to let him know I was alive. There was an hour and a half difference between St. Johns and Bedenton, so I figured Marie would be back from Montessori.

Carol answered the Skype call. "Honor? How are you doing?"

"Good. Better. Is Marie around and will she talk to me?"

"She's here, and I'll make sure she talks to you. Beth and you are too easy on the girl, she's a handful, and spoiled rotten."

I laughed. "Like you were better with BB at that age?"

She grinned. "Maybe not. As least I learned. Can I chat with you afterward?"

"Of course. In case you're wondering, I plan on calling Beth after this call."

"That would be wonderful. She's been terribly down in the dumps the last couple of days. The worst since I got here. I'm sure she'd love to hear from you. Let me go grab Marie."

Marie had done a 180 since my last attempt. She was eager to tell me all about school, and her new friends. I barely got a word in edgewise until the end. "Come home, Daddy," she pleaded.

"Soon, Angel. I promise. Just a few more days, alright?"

"I miss you. I miss your stories. I miss you tucking me in," she pouted.

"I miss it too. I love you, and I'll see you soon."

"When? Tomorrow?"

"I can't make it that soon. It takes several days to get home. I'm a long ways away, on an island. Maybe this weekend," I said. It was the first time I really gave myself a timetable. "But that will be our secret, okay? I want it to be a surprise."

She brightened up. "Promise?"

I looked at her, so eager, and there was no way I could disappoint her any longer. "No later than Sunday, alright? I promise."

Her little brother was with her. They usually talked to me together. Well, she talked, but I liked to see him, and talk to him. He was speaking a few words, and when he pointed at the screen and said Da-da, I knew I'd been gone too long.

Marie gave her brother a hug, "Daddy's coming home," she told him.

She ran off with the tablet, the camera wobbling all over the place, showing the floor, ceiling, and walls until it steadied and I was looking at Carol again.

"Thanks for keeping things together," I told her. "I bet Dave is some pissed at me."

She shook her head. "I think you're the only one he's not pissed at. He said he might drive up next weekend since it looks like I may never get home."

"I promise, it won't be that much longer. I needed this, Carol. It's been good for me. I haven't made up my mind on anything yet, but my head's in a better place. If Dave wants to come up, I'll buy him a ticket. It's the least I can do."

"That would be nice. He's talking to Beth again. That's a start. You're really going to call her?"

"As soon as I finish with you."

She gave me a big smile. "Goodbye, Honor. Tomorrow?"

"Around this time."

The screen went blank.

I braced myself for a possibly difficult call and dialed Beth.

"Honor? Is that you?" she answered.

"You recognize my number?"

"Mom called when you were talking to our girl."

"How're you doing, Beth?"

"I've been better. You?" There was no excitement in her voice.

"Improved. I'm sorry I left so abruptly. I'm feeling a lot better."

"I bet," she said. "So are you planning on ever returning? Or are you settled down for good."

"I won't be much longer. I needed this. I miss the kids terribly."

She sighed loudly. "Not the slut wife though, right?"

"Of course I miss you. You were the love of my life for over twenty years. I just don't know how to handle this."

"Well you sure showed me, didn't you? You fucked me good. I guess that's the last good fucking from you I should expect."

Her attitude was getting to me. Now it was all my fault? "I think this call was a mistake," I said.

"Wow! That's something new. Perfect Honor, admitting to a mistake," she sneered.

"I'll admit, I've made a few. Some doozies. Trusting my wife to remain faithful, that was a big one. The whole marrying my childhood sweetheart, ouch!"

"Go ahead. Try to hurt me. I deserve it, right? I'm a disgusting horrible person and don't deserve to live. A terrible wife and mother. Despicable. Believe me, I've heard it all. Was there any reason for this call, Honor?"

"No, I guess not. I won't bother you; I imagine you have work to do."

She hung up without saying goodbye. My good mood dissipated during the call. I was glad to be going back to see my kids, and even happier that I had my own place to live in.

I called Aunt Jean back. She laughed, "That was quick."

"I just have a few more things. Contact Carol, and see about getting her husband Dave a round trip ticket to come and visit."

"Got it. Airplane ticket for Beth's Dad."

"Also, could you stock my refrigerator with the perishables on Friday. Eggs, milk, butter, some fruit and salad fixings. Steaks, ground beef, bread—"

"I got it. I know what goes in a refrigerator. You coming back?"

"This weekend I think. I'd like that to remain between us."

"Of course. Your business is nobody's but your own. You're going to love your house. It's gorgeous on the inside."

"Thanks. Send Carol some flowers, telling her thanks for everything."

"Again?" she chuckled. "She just got some Saturday."

I laughed. "Alright, never mind. Chocolates, mid-week?"

"I'll get her one of those fruit bouquets." She paused briefly. "I didn't want to step on your toes with your mother. Anything for her?"

"No. I don't think so. I'm not in the mood to reward her for her behavior."

I heard a sigh. That seemed to be all too common. "She is your mother, Honor."

"She watched my kids, so my wife could cheat on me. In my book that's pretty unforgivable."

"Fine."

Great. Now she was pissed at me as well. "Aunt Jean, if you have a problem with this, let me know. I'll find someone else to do it."

"No, I'm fine. I'm not about to give up the only job in town. I'll do whatever you ask."

"It's not the only job in town," I said.

"Maybe not today, but a month from now? Is there anything else?"

"No, I think that's all. I'll email you if I've forgotten anything. Goodbye." I didn't even wait for her response. Between her and Beth, I wasn't in the mood for any more bullshit.

A light lunch outdoors helped a little, and I rode over to Lena's since I'd forgotten to get directions for Darren's place. She welcomed me in and forced a cup of tea on me before telling me where to go.

I learned from Lena her father worked at the jail, alternating four 12 hour shifts, then three days off, with three 12 hour shifts and four days off. His seniority gave him his weekends free. I guess it wasn't a bad gig. I was used to five 12-14 hour days, and usually a half day on Saturdays. I was determined that was one thing I'd be changing.

Darren welcomed me to his home, and Anne stuck a soda in my hand. She grinned. "I don't allow no drinking here before dark during the week."

"Works for me," I assured her.

It turned out Darren had an agenda. He had his son Jeffery there, as well as Ronnie and another 'Uncle' I'd seen around, but hadn't had a chance to talk to. Tom was Darren's cousins. Another of Gramma's sister's kids. Gramma was one of 11, so there were enough of them around.

They wanted to talk business. All about what I did, and how it would work in Canada. What it would take to get it started. I didn't want to burst their bubble, but it wasn't an easy business to get into. Especially if you didn't have contacts within the building industry.

I talked to them about specializing in particular components of what we did. I quizzed them on the engineering talent necessary, and they bragged about their local college, Memorial University of Newfoundland, one of the top 5 universities in all of Canada. They had a comprehensive engineering school, with a co-op program where students were required to work four terms, so interns were readily available.

It was about an hour into the discussion, and they seemed a little less enthusiastic by that time. I had an idea. I wasn't sure I wanted to follow through with it, it was more than the people back home deserved. It took me a few minutes to think it through, and I realized I was ignoring everyone else and they had gone quiet, waiting for me.

"I need a minute, alright? Let me think through something."

Darren nodded. "Of course. Take your time."

I grabbed another soda and walked outdoors. It was cool, as was typical even in summer. The crisp air, gorgeous skies, and sweet smelling breezes were what I needed. I was still running through different scenarios and the ramifications of each when Ronnie plopped down beside me.

"Ignore me," he said. "I needs a break from their pipe dreams."

He leaned back in his chair and soaked up the sun.

I think I had a solution, which fit many of my own desires. It was something that I'd never thought of before, but the more I considered it, the sounder it seemed. It was unlike me to act on impulse, especially about something so major, but I was tired of being grounded, predictable.

"Uncle Tom, what exactly does he do?"

Ronnie was slow in responding. "Mostly A/C and heating repair. Some new installations."

"How big is his company?" I asked

"Just him and Uncle Bobby own it. Four guys working for 'em, and Aunt Joanie takes the calls and does the books."

"Lots of engineers around St. Johns?"

"They don't stick around much. Move on to Toronto, or Ottawa. Some go to Labrador, Calgary or even Vancouver. The Uni graduates a lot."

"Let's go back in. This might work."

He gave me an odd look, but grabbed his drink and followed me back indoors.

I offered my suggestion. They would build the controllers that were the key component of my company's energy solutions. They would use my patents, including the two newest ones. They would be allowed to provide full solutions across Canada, and my company would supply the additional components they would need. In return, they would manufacture and supply the control boards, exclusively to my company in the US. We would have a non-compete agreement for the rest of the world. I would get most of Europe, places I already had in-roads to. They could have the Pacific Rim and South America. I expected them to have an office in Vancouver, within three years, to deal with the Asian business.

They had a lot of questions of course. I had answers for most of them. It was up to them to decide who would own and manage the company, but I would get 40%, in exchange for the patents and a half million dollars of startup capital.

I would also send them at least one experienced engineer to help them get going. They would be pressed for time. If we were going to do it, we had to get started almost immediately, and I wanted new controller units within six months, preferably sooner.

"The controller units are a guaranteed business. You can sell them to other companies, just not for use in the U.S. or Europe. My company alone will give you enough business to employ half-a-dozen people minimum."

"Six months is damn fast," Tom said.

"I know. I'll help. I'll visit regularly, and we can have conference calls. I'll provide a good engineer to work with you. It's definitely doable, I just don't know anything about doing business in Canada. We don't need to worry immediately about a ton of legal paperwork. You're family, I expect you not to screw me."

Darren nodded, perhaps a little irritated I would even bring it up. "That won't be an issue. We're not like that old crowd of yours. My word's as good as yours."

"I would put off any other business until the controller division is off the ground. With that in place, you'll have a technology advantage over anyone else. If I come up with any new ideas in that particular area, they'll go to you. Do you think it's workable?"

"Long term, what are we talking, business wise?" Darren asked.

"If you have the success I imagine you could, within five years, you could be employing thirty to forty people here, and another dozen in Vancouver. It won't be easy, but I'll be working with you, and I have a little experience in this area."

"That's a lot of people, that quickly," Tom said.

"I started by myself, on a shoe-string, with weaker patents. In seven years I employed fifty and could have employed more if I wasn't controlling the growth so carefully. Over ten million last year."

"Can we talk about it?" Darren asked.

"Of course. Just remember, the sooner the better. I'll be leaving in a few days, and I'd like to see it off the ground before I leave."

"We could never get the paperwork done by then," Tom argued.

"Fuck the paperwork. I need a plan and a promise. I'll give you the money and the patent. Tell me you'll do it, and then get started."

Of course, that didn't solve all the issues. The biggest one was, I needed to start a new company when I got back home. As far as I was concerned, the only company was dead. I wasn't going to make it that easy for everyone. No friggin' way.

I left them to talk it out and unstrapped my little guitar from its permanent home on the back of my bike. I borrowed a beer from Anne, assuring her I wouldn't drink it in the house. Then I went outside, enjoyed the air, and noodled on my six-string.

I was interrupted a few times with questions, which I answered to the best of my ability. They were good questions, and they made me feel better about my impromptu decision.

"What's that you're playing?"

I looked up from my introspection and Ronnie was peering at me.

"Nothing, really. Something I was working on, while on a long hike about a month ago."

"I like it. It's original?"

I nodded.

"You got more words than that chorus you keep mumbling?"

I did, but it was difficult to share them. They were intensely personal. Ronnie took a runner and returned with a guitar from the house. "Everyone around here have a guitar?"

He laughed. "In this family, b'ye?"

I led him through the chords for the verse and picked out the melody for him.

No place to go

No home to go back to

No destination on my mind

Where do you go

When you're abandoned

Love and betrayal left behind

"Not the happiest song ever. You really are a sook, y'know," Ronnie laughed.

"Sorry. It's not been the best summer for me."

"No need to apologize, remember? I'm the waiter. I understand."

Lost at sea without an anchor

Flying blind, no telling up from down

Broken heart, black with rancor

Someone save me before I drown

He worked the music with me and made it better. It seemed easy for him, after I'd spent dozens of hours playing around with the tune.

"It's Newf, y'know," he said.

"Newf? How?"

"The new way. It's a blend of traditional with modern. Something Great Big Sea would play. You say you wrote this before arriving, b'ye?"

"Yeah, hiking the Appalachian trail."

He laughed. "Just goes to prove. You're a damn Newf whether you likes it or not. Honor the Newf."

He worked out a nice intro with me, and we were only interrupted twice more. I heard the voices getting more animated indoors. The next time they sent Jeffery out, I told him I wasn't answering any more questions with a parched throat. He got me a beer, and he got his answer.

"You knows, we'll have to play this tonight."

"Tonight? I don't think so. I'm not ready to bare my soul to anybody else."

"You have to. They're going to want some original stuff. You can only play the same power ballads so many times. Trust me."

"Who's they? Another kitchen party?"

"I knows I told ya. We're going back to the pub, by popular demand."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 10 milliseconds