A Welcome Return

Eventually I took her back to my hometown where Joey and Helen fell in love with her immediately. Helen pulled me aside one evening in the kitchen and said,

"Now this is the woman for you Mikey. Do not let her go"

I assured her there was no chance of that.

"Really! I do not believe you.....180 pounds....really" I said excitedly

"Yep 180 exactly" Jasmine confirmed "You are back to your ideal weight.......dad" She said laughing at her new name for me.

I was so proud of myself and so grateful to Jasmine and Rachel for helping me get to this point. My new haircut, along with the surrender of my beard must have contributed to some of that weight loss I thought. Rachel had convinced me to try a clean shaven look once so she could see my face. I had to laugh at that suggestion. I just hoped she wouldn't be put off by the man behind the mask. Thankfully she wasn't.

So here I was on cloud nine. I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I had achieved what I set out to do, I looked great and I felt great and this was the type of mentality I had when I was on a construction site in New York.

I made my way to Rachel's house feeling on top of the world. I walked through the door to be met by a nervous and pale looking Rachel. The look of worry on her face gave me a feeling of déjà vu.

"What's wrong baby?" I asked nervously, I had that bad feeling again.

"We need to talk" She said. Suddenly I felt like the walls were closing in on me. Those familiar feelings came back and the nausea attacked my senses.

"OK" I said as Rachel took my hand and sat me down

"Look Rachel if you are going to break up with me just do it quickly so I can get out of here" I said abruptly as she recoiled in shock

"No Honey..." She replied gripping my hand tighter and pulling me slightly closer.

"...I do not know how to say this because I don't want you to get mad at me..."

My feelings of dread had not abated.

"....I am pregnant" She announced hesitantly. I was in shock. We remained silent for a few seconds as her beautiful face creased up trying to gauge my reaction. I rose to my feet and walked a few steps away. I turned back to her looking worried and on the verge of tears.

"WOOOHOOOO" I screamed at the top of my lungs whilst simultaneously jumping in the air with both fists raised. Her face lightened up and joy sprung back into her eyes

"You are not mad?" She asked regaining her beautiful smile

"How could I be mad, I am going to be a daddy" I announced before taking her into my arms and kissing her passionately on the lips. We embraced each other for the next 5 minutes. I was the happiest man on earth.

Over the next few days Rachel, Jasmine and I started to look for house. Even though Rachel had very little in terms of savings, I had nearly $180,000 in the bank which was more than enough to buy a house outright.

It took less than a week to find a beautiful 5 bed colonial in Pine Hills. It needed some renovation work which put off other buyers but with my construction experience I was excited about its potential. Our offer was accepted and it meant we did not need to take out a mortgage.

The day we moved in to our new home I got down on one knee and proposed to Rachel. I knew it was fast but I loved her so much and she was the one for me. She accepted and I would love to say that from there we lived happily ever after, but that would skip over the reason I am sat here in this courthouse.

Just to make it clear I was not being charged with anything. Well, a couple of weeks after moving into our new home I had a phone call from Joey. It was earth shattering to say the least. I had actually forgotten all about Joey asking Helen's colleague to look into my ex-wife's new husband and to be honest Joey did too.

If this had been going on for months I had no idea what it was going to cost me and to be perfectly honest I didn't even care to know what he had found out. Nonetheless Joey was beside himself with glee and just had to tell me his findings. I remained silent as Joey began to speak,

"The whole thing is a house of cards Mikey" He said laughing

"Helen's guy dug around and after you gave us the full name it set the wheels in motion. It turns out the IRS and the feds got involved......"

"HOLD ON, WHAT!!" I yelled thinking I had missed a major chunk of the story "What do you mean the feds are involved?"

"Just listen Mikey, just you listen to this" He said trying to calm me down

"The gardening company he owns has Jessica listed as a director and it is in debt Mikey, I mean serious debt and that is just for starters. The house he owned now has Jessica's name on the deeds and it is worth over a million dollars, but the mortgage payments are made through a company called RichWal Enterprises. That company owns the house and the business. Jessica and Richard are listed as joint co-owners and it began trading only 6 months ago, probably just after their wedding"

I was trying my best to keep up and I knew Joey was doing his best to relay what Helen had obviously told him,

"Helen's guy alerted the IRS, who by the way will be picking up his tab..."

I was pleased to hear I wasn't going to be stumped for a huge bill.

".....Anyway the IRS investigated Richard Walton and found out he is on their wanted list, they had a picture of him or something"

"So he is a fraudster" I said stating the obvious.

"Oh yeah Mikey but wait until you hear what happened next" He said teasing me

"Well this investigation alerted the attention of some big corporate type in Charlotte..."

"North Carolina?" I interjected

"Yeah" Joey said excitedly "Well his name is Davis Nolan and he has a daughter called Julia Reed. She is currently estranged from her husband Kyle Reed; they have 2 kids together and..."

Ok by now I was seriously confused.

"Get on with it Joey" I said exasperated.

"Stick with me kid" He said breathlessly,

"Well it turns out Kyle Reed is Richard Walton"

"WHAT!!" I screamed down the phone and Joey's ear must have been ringing. Not that he would have cared; he was too busy laughing his ass off.

"Yeah and they are still legally married, I think he is called a bigamist or something but that is not the best of it" He said leaving me hanging for more. This was beginning to sound like a Hollywood movie or something.

"Well the FBI got involved and it turns out the guy is a two-time felon. He has spent time inside, drugs and burglary I think. Mr Nolan managed to get him a reduced sentence for the second conviction. He is a powerful man apparently. Anyways the feds investigated him and this Kyle/Richard guy made contact with another suspect they were looking into regarding drug trafficking crimes"

My mind drifted back towards Jessica and her friends and family. I could just picture their faces at this news. I started to smile.

"There is more Mikey. The FBI and the IRS joined forces and took this guy down. They found him at a storage unit not far from his home and the answer to how a man in debt could afford a million dollar house and a lavish lifestyle became all too clear."

"How Joey...How?" I was hooked

"They found Heroin, Ecstasy and stolen goods in his unit and his truck. They actually think he was about to flee again. He had suitcases filled with clothes and stuff in his truck"

I started to laugh and Rachel joined me on the sofa shaking her head and laughing too. She had no idea what she was laughing at or what was making me so happy.

"So what about Jessica?" I asked and Rachel swung around and glared at me. I put my hand over the receiver and whispered to her,

"You are not going to believe this" I said shaking my head and leaving her hanging.

Joey continued to speak as I returned the receiver to my ear.

"She was arrested. Her parents have somehow managed to keep it out of the media but I expect over the next few days they will be front page news. It is a big news story after all" He said

I actually think Joey was more excited than I was because quite honestly any feelings I had for Jessica, ill or otherwise were gone. I reached for Rachel's hand and held it just to confirm that fact.

After I ended the call I turned to Rachel with eager anticipation and told her everything. She was shocked and surprised because even though she knew Jessica was a complete bitch, it never dawned on her that she could be a criminal. All I could think of was what her parents, family and the so-called social elites thought of her. Poor old Daddy had a duped criminal for a daughter and that cannot go down too well at the country club. I had to laugh to myself and Rachel knew what I was thinking and laughed along with me.

A few days later the front page of every newspaper in the area and every media news channel was covering the story. I guess Jessica's parents still had some leverage in the community because she barely got a mention. Of course the bigamist, drug trafficking con man was splashed all over our screens, but the female accomplice who moved in elite social circles and was well known in the corporate financial world was not named.

However, less than a week passed before one newspaper published the mugshot picture of them both, complete with prisoner numbers but no mention of Jessica by name. We did find out that Kyle Reed was actually 41 and not 35 as he claimed to be. So my ex-wife actually left me for an older criminal who has just destroyed her life. Maybe she wasn't as intelligent as she thought.

I was actually shocked at the image of my ex-wife. I had to take a few looks just to recognise her. She looked a shadow of the confident and arrogant woman who dumped me nearly 8 months ago. She was gaunt and looked as though she had aged, her hair was thinner and she had huge dark bags under her eyes. I looked up to see my beautiful pregnant fiancé who looked the complete opposite. I felt like the luckiest man alive. Not only to have her but to also be shot of my ex and her family.

In the months that followed the whole issue died down. We enjoyed our first family Christmas in the new house. Rachel's parents came to stay with us, Helen and Joey stopped by and I was surprised to see a few of my old friends from my construction days get back in touch. They loved Rachel too and it was they who talked me into getting back into the construction game. Rachel and Jasmine agreed with them and that's another reason I love them.

In the New Year I quit my job and became a self-employed tradesman. I was working on construction sites but also doing small jobs in the community. Ironically I also started to get a lot of requests to do gardening work in quite a few neighbourhoods. I was even surprised to be contacted by Peter and Shelly, but only if I promised not to try anything on with Shelly. They had my word.

In March Rachel gave birth to our mixed twins Alex and Sophia. In April we were married in a small ceremony in Albany. It had been just over a year since the divorce from Jessica and to think how much has happened in that time is astonishing. However, sadly it would not be the last I would see of her.

My new perfect life had been going so well until a visitor came knocking on my door completely out of the blue. His name was Andrew Brown of the law firm Jones & Brown who was defending Ms Jessica Walker in her upcoming court case. I was surprised she had gone back to her maiden name. Surely Mommy and Daddy wouldn't like the good Walker name dragged through the proverbial mud.

Mr Brown made himself comfortable in my house as he spoke,

"We would like you to provide a good character testimony for Jess.....I mean Ms Walker" He asked forthrightly. I laughed

"Why would I do that?" I replied

"Well before your divorce you knew Ms Walker better than anyone, you know she is straight and would never get involved in anything criminal, right?" I don't know if he was asking or telling me. But even I could see where he was going with this.

"What if he refuses?" A voice behind me suddenly asked.

Rachel emerged from down the stairs obviously listening in to our conversation. Mr Brown looked at me,

"What my wife said" I proffered

"Well we can get a subpoena and force you to attend. If you still fail to show up we can have you charged and thrown in jail" He said with a now menacing tone.

My first reaction was to smash him in the face and throw him headfirst through the door. But as I looked towards my wife I realised I had too much to lose. I had no idea if what he said was right or even legal but for one court appearance I acquiesced to his demands. It was just easier.

So here I am sat in the waiting room of the courthouse. The trial has been going on for a couple of days and as my appearance neared I turned to Rachel,

"What do I say honey?" I asked with a whisper.

She took my hand and looked at me with those beautiful brown eyes and said

"You are the most honest and loving man I have ever known. Just be honest"

I knew that what I said in that court would probably have no bearing on the case at all. I had been strong armed into attending by my ex-wife's legal team. They had wrongly made the assumption that I would speak highly of her. It could be the biggest mistake they had ever made because I was going to do no such thing.

A few days ago the trial for Kyle Reed had concluded. He was found guilty of Class E Bigamy, a Federal charge of Schedule (I) drug possession with intent to supply, Perjury, handling stolen property and a whole range of charges relating to defrauding the US government. He was also on a third strike. He was sentenced to 70 years in prison. Even I was shocked by that sentence.

However, in an attempt to get a lesser sentence he implicated Jessica on the fraud and handling stolen goods charges. He claimed she was in on it as they started the holding company as soon as they were married. What is it they say about no honour amongst thieves? The stolen property charges were being contested but on fraud the IRS had her all ends up.

"Mr Greene we are ready for you" The bailiff declared. I rose to my feet and exhaled loudly. Rachel had left to join the public gallery whilst Jasmine looked after the twins in the waiting room. They were sound asleep, oblivious to it all.

In the court my name was announced and as I approached the stand I could feel the eyes of the entire court on me. It was a strange atmosphere. There were a few gasps as I took the stand, especially from those sat behind the defendant.

As I took the oath I turned to face the room and it was the first time in over a year that I had seen Jessica in the flesh. She was dressed in an orange prison uniform and surrounded on either side by an expensively put together defence team. She was looking down at her feet but I made eye contact with her parents and then a few of her friends who sat behind her. I made out a couple of people who looked at me and mouthed the word 'Wow'. The irony of me now looking down on them from the witness stand was not lost on me. I spent our entire marriage with them all looking down on me. Now the roles have been reversed.

Andrew Brown rose to his feet and began to speak.

"Thank you for coming today Mr Greene" He said

"Well I wasn't given much choice was I Mr Brown" I replied staring down at him. He recoiled at my tone and all eyes turned towards him to see what his reply would be.

At that moment Jessica finally lifted her head and looked in my direction. Her eyes flew wide open and her jaw dropped. She suddenly burst into tears causing everyone to turn and look. The realisation must have hit her, the man she fell in love with had made a welcome return and the man she had destroyed was gone. She was now inconsolable as the judge asked her lawyer if he needed to take a minute. He ignored his offer and continued.

"Mr Greene as the defendant's ex-husband, who was admittedly treated very well by my client in the divorce, would you agree that the charges against her surprise even you?" He asked to no objections from the prosecutor.

"I was very shocked. But as to being treated well in the divorce I guess you and I have different ideas on that" I replied confidently as murmurs appeared from behind him.

I am sure I could see Jessica's parents talking to one of the team as Jessica continued sobbing.

"OK Mr Greene but would you say that in all the time you and the defendant were together she was always an honest, hardworking and law abiding citizen?" He asked

"Well she was cheating on me for 4 months with a man she described as younger, more attractive and successful so once again we probably have our own definitions of honesty" I replied.

I was beginning to think at that point her legal team realised they may have made an error here. Remember he only threatened me to turn up, not paint a picture of a perfect innocent woman. I was just being honest like Rachel said I should be.

"But would you agree that in that time you neglected yourself physically and intellectually, so when someone better came along could you really blame the defendant for moving on" He said tersely.

There was an almost universal chorus of disapproving moans from the public gallery and the prosecution bench, who obviously felt that at this point they were not really needed. The defence were digging my ex-wife's grave. The judge brought about order giving me a chance to think about my reply.

"I agree that I neglected aspects of my life. It was very hard to live with someone who controlled my life and whose family and friends considered you beneath them. The defendants father once referred to me as a good looking dumbass" I said openly and the look of shock and confusion amongst the defence was almost too hilarious for words.

At this point Jessica was just staring at me with pity in her eyes. I had none for her in return.

"That may well be Mr Greene but there is nothing to suggest that the defendant was ever involved in criminal activity, no evidence to suggest that for the years you were together that she was dishonest or looking to commit fraud. She paid her bills, even yours for a while and never broke the law. Is that right?" He said, now visibly flustered.

"Objection" The prosecutor rose to her feet. "This is inadmissible your honour. The witness is not here to prove the defendant committed no crime. It is a waste of the courts time"

"Sustained" The judge said "The defence can rephrase the question"

Mr Brown looked perplexed but cleared his throat and resumed his line of questioning,

"Mr Greene in the years you were together the defendant was an honest person who paid all her bills, her taxes and her mortgage. She even paid yours for a time, is that correct?" He stated,

"Yes" I said "But I have no idea what type of person she has been over the last year. Well, I think we can take a guess" I said

"Objection" Mr Brown said looking at the judge.

"What do you mean 'objection' Mr Brown, he is your character witness" The judge said trying not to laugh as half the courtroom burst into laughter. The jury had to look away.

"Your honour he is obviously a bitter ex-husband seeking revenge on the woman who dumped him and moved on" He said now getting angry and irate.

The defence team were now beside themselves with worry. Jessica was looking back between her parents and her counsel with tears running down her face.

The judge spoke again

"If he is a bitter ex-husband then why did you put him on the stand?"

The prosecution team just sat back and smiled to one another.

"Is it true that you are indeed a bitter man who just wants to see his ex-wife suffer?" Mr Brown asked after a period of silence.

"If this had happened 11 months ago you may have had a point. But now I have nothing to be bitter about. I may not be an intelligent man your honour but I am an honest man"

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds