Ashton Hill Fools

"You'd find a nanny you could trust, she's out there somewhere, I'm sure," Quinn said softly, hating that he didn't trust her to look after her nephew, who she would really like to get to know now that she had met him properly.

"I... You..." he took a deep breath and tried again. "I was wrong, and you said you would like to get to know Noah now that you know I won't have you arrested, or whatever else Rheagan told you," he said disparagingly. "I think you should come back to Ryder House," he finally admitted.

"To look after Noah until you find a new Nanny?" she gaped at him.

"Maybe," he held up his hand when she tried to protest. "Just hear me out, okay? I need a Nanny, today, you need a place for you and April to stay and be safe. You're right, I don't know you, and when it comes to Noah, I am very slow to trust. Your sister..."

"Messed with your head," Quinn finished for him. "Welcome to the club, she's been messing with mine for my whole life. I can only imagine the other things she said about me."

"She didn't talk about you much, and that dribble that came out of my mouth this morning was basically it, except she thought you were jealous of her," he explained.

"As if," Quinn rolled her eyes heavenward. "You know she was flat out lying when she said I quit jobs and relationships on a whim, right? Yes, I missed a lot of family celebrations, but mostly because I wasn't invited. I put myself through college, not once, but twice, the second time, once I was working for the network I'm still with, to get a degree in world history specialising in politics. I'm not my sister, Grayson. I've never had a truly significant relationship to quit on a whim, or not because of my job."

Grayson sat staring at her in silence, he knew all this information from Roland's report that his brothers had shown him this morning, but hearing it from her own mouth was decidedly different, and he could feel the heat of shame climbing up his neck again.

"Oh, and just so you know, Rheagan convinced Mum that if she or any of the family tried to reach out and see Noah, that you'd have them arrested for breaching the contract she signed to give up her rights. She convinced Mum you had the power and money to do that, even though Mum was desperate to see him," 'As was I.' she thought, but she had barely made it home, whereas her mother had lived in the same town as her grandchild and never been able to see him.

"Shit, I would have allowed visitation. I offered it to Rheagan, but she turned it down. She didn't want anything to do with Noah or me!" he said angrily. He'd always known his ex-was a manipulative bitch, but this was beyond even his imagination. "I'm sorry, Quinn, maybe I should have reached out like I tried to do at the funeral, but... she pulled the rug out from under me and just kept tugging."

"You really loved Rheagan, didn't you?" Quinn said softly, finally turning to look him in the eyes, the strange mix of sadness, guilt and regret rolling into her belly as she took in his handsome features.

"I loved what I thought I was getting," he said gruffly.

"Which was?" Quinn prompted.

"My family. She said she wanted to be a wife and mother. My partner that I could come home to, my normality after a crazy day at work," he admitted.

"You associated Rheagan with normality?" Quinn almost laughed at the idea.

"Very briefly," Grayson grimaced and decided to get the conversation back on track before he looked even more pathetic and stupid to Quinn. "Getting back to why I am here. Come back, move into Ryder House while we sort out this Rheagan mess. I'll take a few days off work and help you with April, and you can show me that I can trust you with Noah. We can actually get to know the real people here instead of Rheagan's versions of us." He offered.

"And after that week?" she asked.

"I'll go back to work, and you can stay and look after Noah and April until we find Rheagan and sort out that mess, and I will continue to look for a proper full-time nanny that I can trust," he said. "I'll feed and house you and April and pay Roland's fees in return for you taking care of Noah while I'm at work."

"Feed and house April and me and I will play Roland's fees myself," she negotiated.

"He's expensive, Quinn," Grayson ran his fingers through his hair.

"I have money of my own, I am pretty good at my job, even though you didn't know who I was until Roland pointed it out to you," she sighed. "Also, once it's over I'd like to continue to have a relationship with Noah, he's my nephew, and I would like to have him in my life."

"I can make that happen," he agreed immediately. Quinn was Noah's family, after all. "What happens if you find Rheagan and she refuses to take April back?" he asked gently. She had refused to see her son for four long years, he couldn't see why it would be any different for a second abandoned child.

"I will make her take responsibility for this child. I am done cleaning up her messes for her. I am done apologising for her. It's time she grew up, and I am the one to make her face that fact," Quinn was adamant.

"I hope you're right, but you might want to start considering what your plan B will be, now that you've spoken to Adam and know your rights," Grayson advised. "Noah probably has rights too; April is his sister, after all. He'd like to get to know her, even if only for this short time. Can we start with a week?" he asked.

"Okay," Quinn agreed. Mary Delaney had been lovely to her, but she felt in the way here, and she knew Mary had put off most of her patients to her help this morning. Annie was expecting twins any day now, and Quinn just felt in the way in such a busy household.

"Great, I'll come help you with your stuff after work?" he offered.

"We don't have much, but I want to stay and thank Mary properly before coming back. So later tonight, before Noah goes to bed?" she negotiated again.

"Sure, whatever suits you," he agreed magnanimously. "Now I better get back to work before my brothers do something stupid, like selling our interests in Columbia," he chuckled. He stood to leave, pausing to pick up April and cuddle her. "She's pretty adorable," he smiled as April grabbed his tie and he wrested it back from her.

Quinn stood, walking him to the door, wishing she could ask the question that burned inside her. She stood in the door jamb as he stepped out toward his car, and she couldn't stop the words from bubbling forth.

"Grayson?" she called softly.

"Yeah?" he turned a curious gaze on her.

"That kiss last night," she paused and licked her lips, "Was it all about Rheagan? Did you think of her while kissing me?"

"No!" Grayson said with a half snort that turned into a chuckle. "Trust me, that was all you, Quinn Thomas," his eyes raked down her body and back to her mouth, and he breathed deeply. "Trust me when I say, that was all, every inch, of you." He got into his car before he walked back up to the door and kissed her again.

Quinn watched him drive away and closed the door, leaning her back against it and taking April in for her afternoon nap.

"Gosh, April, how am I supposed to resist him after that?" she asked the infant, who, not understanding the question, blew a raspberry at her.

*****

Chapter 4

It had been three days since he had begun working from home, and for a Friday afternoon Grayson still had a mountain of work to get through. He was practically useless working from home, leaving his brothers to pick up the slack in his absence. He couldn't continue on like this, he needed to be back at his desk next week; not lusting after a woman he knew was not the type of woman he wanted or needed in his life.

After their first morning together, where his attempts to cook breakfast failed miserably, Quinn had taken over cooking for them cheerfully. She and Noah got along like a house on fire, and April seemed to be settling well. If it wasn't for the fact that he knew as soon as Rheagan had been found and April restored to her and Quinn would leave to travel the world again, he would have hired her on the spot as his nanny and housekeeper.

He opened the front door and frowned as he looked at one of his brother's friends. He was sure it was one of the Delaney brothers, but he couldn't work out which one.

"Hey, Grayson. You probably don't remember me, it's been a while, Harrison Delaney," the man introduced himself and put out his hand to be shaken. "Byron told me I could find Quinn here, Quinn Thomas,"

"Hi, Harrison, yes, you can find her here. Come on in," he invited in a friendly easy-going manner that belied his curiosity about why Harrison would be here at his house looking for Quinn. Not to mention a small amount of jealousy that another man had some interest in her whereabouts. He led Harrison through the house to the open plan kitchen and living area. Quinn stood looking out into the gardens, rocking April in her arms. Once again he felt a jolt at how effortlessly beautiful she was. She wore comfortable boots and leggings and an oversized knitted shirt that hung off one shoulder, her hair tumbling down her back.

"Quinn, someone to see you," Grayson said, making her turn to look at him and the visitor.

"Oh my God, Harrison!" Quinn gasped, clutching the little baby to her and not moving. She'd turned quite pale, and Grayson frowned, wondering if she had a history with the special forces officer. He stepped between them, facing Quinn in a protective stance.

"Everything okay?" he asked, taking the baby who held out her chubby little arms to him and noting that Quinn was shaking.

"What? Yes," she took a shaky breath. "Everything is good," she smiled crookedly. "I was going to call, but I didn't know what to say, I mean, thank you didn't seem enough, and everything else just seems trite," she said, quietly stepping around Grayson and moving to Harrison to hug him fiercely. "Thank you!" she said, knowing it wasn't enough.

"Well, you look better than the last time I saw you," he chuckled. "Wow, really amazing," he said as Quinn pulled away. "You'd never know you had such critical injuries."

"Smoke and mirrors," she laughed. "Plus, I was introduced to a great dermatologist who has this cream for scars..." she shook her head, "I'm sure you don't want to hear about that."

"Sure I do! It takes work to stay this pretty in my job," he chuckled again, and this time she laughed with him. He pulled the collar of his shirt out and showed her an old puckered scar on his shoulder. "I bet none of yours looks as bad as this."

"Oh, I don't know," Quinn grinned and lifted the hem of her long shirt on her right side revealing the jagged red wheel that seemed to be taking forever to heal.

"I didn't know the two of you were friends," Grayson said in a voice kept purposely light. He couldn't see what she was showing Harrison, but he immediately resented the automatic close bond between the two of them.

"It's a recent thing," Harrison said with a shrug before turning back to Quinn. "How many surgeries to repair that?" he asked, his eyes dropping to her hip again.

"Just one, I think it looked far worse than it was, but, then again, I had excellent care on the way home," she hugged him again. "Thank you, seriously. I don't know what else to say but thank you!"

"I didn't do anything but hold your hand," he chuckled, "but I can tell the guys who did help you that you gave me all the hugs," he grinned. "We'll take a photo before I go back, just so they know how much they missed out on," he winked flirtatiously.

"Honestly, I don't remember much, just you talking and keeping me sane and reminding me of home. I came back to relax and rest once the media died down, I wasn't sure why until I saw your mum and remembered what you did for me. I can't thank you enough!" she launched into another hug.

"If you keep doing that, I'm going to have to confess to my girlfriend about being with another woman," he chuckled.

"How about a beer? It's Friday," Grayson said, relaxing at the mention of a girlfriend.

"Great," Harrison smiled. "Carly and I had already planned to come back for the weekend and help Jack and Lara move. When Annie told me you were home, I thought I'd come and see how you were doing. You look great, Quinn, seriously great!" Even if he were single, he wouldn't have taken advantage of the gratitude she felt towards him for doing his job, but that didn't mean he couldn't appreciate how attractive she was or admire her as she walked ahead of him to the couches.

"I don't remember much," she admitted. "I didn't even remember you being there until I saw your mother again. The flashback was pretty brutal."

"Your minds way of protecting you, I've been told," he smiled softly. "Sometimes it's better not to remember," he warned her.

"Oh, I know the flashback's when a new memory comes back aren't fun," she shrugged. "I'm getting better all the time, loud noises only scare me when I'm already anxious or stressed, and seeing you walk in was a shock, but I handled it okay," she gave herself credit.

"Sounds like you've got it all together," he grinned. "I've seen grown men crumble under less."

"Harrison?" she asked softly. "Can you tell me what really happened? I only have the official report, and they don't really match with my memories, which makes it a little harder to sort it all out."

Grayson listened as they talked for over an hour. Harrison had been on a mission over the border when the town had been attacked. A series of six car bombs had devastated the town and insurgents were fighting on the streets. A British doctor at the hospital she had been taken to called for help and locked the western patients in one wing for fear of kidnappings and reprisals. He and his nurses had attempted to disguise their patients with bandages and local clothing. He'd managed to stabilise her condition, but surgery wasn't an option, and things looked grim. She remembered most of that herself, and added to the story where she could.

Harrison's team went in and got Quinn and two others out. The French and an American seal team aided in the evacuation of reporters and the injured caught up in the unexpected battle for the city. It was a joint effort from those who were close enough to make a difference. He explained how his team got them to a hospital ship in the gulf, and from there onto mainland in Europe once she was stable enough to travel and then home.

"You stayed with me the whole time?" she asked.

"Our tour was over, we were on our way home anyway," he said as if it was no big thing that he had stayed by her side. "You had a pretty good grip on my hand though, so I doubt I could have left anyway." Harrison chuckled, lightening the mood.

"Oh God!" Quinn put a hand on her cheek. "I have one job these days, and I almost forgot it. I'm sorry, Harrison, I have to go and pick up Noah from school. I hope we can catch up again. I owe you so much."

"Why don't you stay for dinner, Harry," Grayson invited. "You can call your girlfriend and invite her over, and I'll get Byron and Lilly to come. We can get takeout from Fancy's, if you like."

"That'd be great, except I think we have tentative plans with Jack and Lara. Raincheck?" he asked.

"Sure," Grayson said. "You're welcome anytime," Grayson spoke softly so as not to disturb the little girl who had fallen asleep on the couch beside him. He watched as Quinn got up to walk Harrison to the door. Each time he learned something new about her he was more impressed with the woman that she was, and he scowled. It was bad enough that he lusted after her for her perfect body, but now he was beginning to like her as a person. Genuinely like her. He knew the situation was getting dangerous for his sanity.

"Why don't we all go to pick up Noah, we can take the kids for something sugary from Carter's bakery, my afternoon is shot now anyway," he said gruffly.

"I guess. I thought you didn't like Noah to have sugary treats after school?" she questioned with a frown, watching him get up without disturbing the sleeping baby.

"You look exhausted, and I could use some fresh air," he said, studying her features. "Schools not that far, we could walk if we hustle," he suggested.

"Are you kidding me?" she laughed thinking of her hip. "Not that far for you maybe, but some of us have war wounds to consider!" Quinn said exaggeratedly.

"Come on, don't be a girl," he teased, dropping his eyes to her side and biting back the "Show me" retort he had ready on his lips. "I know a shortcut."

"It may have escaped your attention, but I am a girl," she pointed out.

"Trust me, that is one thing that has definitely not escaped my attention since meeting you," he practically groaned and let his eyes rake over her again. "You look good, but you could use some fresh air and sun too," he advised.

Quinn ran her fingers through her hair to distract herself from the way he was looking at her again. Did he even know the effect he had on her? Did he know that she replayed their kiss over and over in her mind in that quiet time before sleep took her at night? She brought her eyes up to meet his gaze and felt the zinging electricity arc between them again.

"When you play with your hair like that when you look at me the way you are now it takes every bit of willpower I have to not do exactly what you are asking for," he accused rather than admitting what he wanted outright.

"And just what am I asking?" Quinn tilted her head and bit her lip. "Bearing in mind I didn't say a word," she raised an eyebrow at him.

"You don't have to speak for me to know you were undressing me with your eyes. You want to see me naked, and more," he teasingly accused, now seeing the beginnings of a blush creeping up her neck.

"You want to see me naked too," Quinn shrugged, not bothering to deny the accusation or play games with this man. It was a bad idea, they both knew it.

"And do more," he breathed as if it was a relief to say. "A lot more," he jammed his hands into the pockets of his jeans and rocked back on his heels.

"This is insane, you realise. We both have enough to deal with without this sort of crazy... zinging... whatever it is between us happening. Don't we?" she appealed to his logical side.

"It seems not," he shrugged. He certainly hadn't been able to get her or the kiss out of his head, and he wanted those lips back on his so badly at that moment.

"We shouldn't be attracted to each other!" she railed at him.

"Yet we are," he shrugged, again pushing his hands deeper into his pockets to stop himself from reaching out to her.

"But we don't have to act on it!" she said adamantly.

"We did the other night," he pointed out.

"Momentary madness on both our parts. We thought I was leaving in the morning and we wouldn't have to deal with each other again. It can't, and won't happen again, Grayson," she said, proud of herself that her voice didn't waver. She couldn't trust that he didn't see her sister when he kissed her, even though he had assured her he didn't when she asked.

"Want to test that theory? Because I think once we start we won't be able to stop, baby monitor or not," he glanced at the sleeping baby.

"Why are you making this so difficult?" she asked. "And now you're making me late!" she accused.

"Go and get the carry all for April, I'll put her in the car and bring it around to the front for you. You won't be late to pick up my son," he assured her, letting the moment go and wondering how far it would have gone, and if they would have been late had she been willing to indulge in a second kiss. The woman was seriously messing with his head, and he needed this drive and fresh air even more than he had already stated. Being cooped up in the same house with her for the last three days had been insanely dangerous, and now he was facing the consequences of that.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 26 milliseconds