Ashton Hill Fools

"I could do a lot of the work remotely, but I'd have to travel now and then. I could be away for up to a week every month, that's a lot of time," Quinn explained.

"Our relationship doesn't have to be about sacrifices. Think of it as a compromise and being organised, and I have enough money and know-how to organise the hell out of any situation. I never intended for you to give up your career when I told you I loved you and asked you to come home. We can work this out, our careers, the nanny's, the kids, the travel. Trust me," he said, picking her hand up and brushing his lips over her knuckles. "I don't expect you to sacrifice such a big part of who you are for me."

Clothes on, Grayson, calm, reserved, with an everything can be worked out attitude, she smiled to herself. She wanted to believe him so badly, but couldn't get the words out to say anything as she felt her eyes mist.

"You're not going to leave me again, are you, Quinn?" he asked seriously.

"No," she shook her head, and a tear ran down her cheek. "I'm so sorry, Grayson, so sorry for everything I put you through."

"I plan to spend a lot of time letting you make that up to me," he grinned. "and making my mistakes up to you. Why don't you go and shower, and then we can plan the rest of our lives over breakfast?" He took April from her arms. "Go quickly before your second biggest fan wakes up, and you have to listen to everything that happened over the last two weeks before your shower."

"I'm looking forward to that," she grinned and looked down at the still sleeping little boy. "I'm looking forward to all of it," she leaned over and kissed him. "Thank you, Grayson. Thank you for not giving up on me."

*****

Chapter 10

Ten months later.

Two days before her wedding, Quinn signed for a package and walked back into the house to the kitchen. There was something familiar about the ribbon it was tied with. It was bright blue with a white scalloped edge, almost like the ones Rheagan had always worn in her hair when she went to school.

She sat at the kitchen counter and took a sip of her rapidly cooling coffee, wondering about it as she plucked a pair of scissors from the messy kitchen drawer. She snipped the ribbon and cut open the tough plastic express post envelope and slipped a box from it. Opening the lid, she found a small note folded in half.

"Hello Quinn,

In what world could you ever replace me? You were always a jealous bitch, but marrying my ex and bringing up my children? Have some self-respect and walk away before you regret it.

R."

Horrified, she looked into the box and pulled out what looked like a flat board. She turned it over and dropped it as a picture of Grayson and Rheagan from their engagement party smiled back at her. Two other photos were in the box, Rheagan, with Noah as a baby, and Rheagan, with April as a baby. Each was framed and decorated with the same ribbon that had been tied around the parcel.

She sat there just staring at the photos and note. She should call Grayson, the police, Roland, someone. She should do something other than just sit there and stare at it. She should... what? Walk away because her dead sister told her to?

No, she couldn't and she wouldn't, and she wasn't as alone as she had always been before finding love. She picked up her phone and dialled Grayson and asked him to come home, assuring him that the kids were fine. She called Roland, who she knew was in town early for the buck's party and wedding and asked him to come over. Then she called the police and told Clint she had received a strange and threatening parcel and wondered if he could stop by on his rounds.

She closed her eyes and breathed. It was a year to the day since the last time her sister had sprung a surprise on her. "Happy April Fool's Day, Rheagan, but this isn't funny." she said to the ghost of her sister. This was just a sick and twisted prank, and she had probably just over reacted by calling Grayson and the others.

"I am not going to put up with your shit anymore, Rheagan!" Quinn yelled into the empty house, glad that Jocelyn had taken April to the park to give her some wedding planning time. "I'm better than you, stronger, and tougher and more loved than you will ever be by this family!" she looked down at the photos again and knew it was true. She didn't have to replace Rheagan, because her sister was never truly here.

*****

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 21 milliseconds