Behind the Lines of the Were War Ch. 06

They stopped for the first night after making five tough miles through the rockfall and trees along the ridge-line with no hits of any other wolves. A quick meal, their fill of water, and a downed tree for shelter would suffice. They both shifted to wolf form and curled up together to conserve heat through the cold mountain night.

Pack Caves west of Cheyenne

Andy guided the TV team to the hillside overlooking the site of the funeral pyre while he explained what was going to be happening. The moon was just rising over the mountain, bathing the valley in its soft light. He had quickly proven himself invaluable to the crew, pointing out camera shots, introducing people, and helping them get interviews with the family members of those whose bodies were found. Linda's reports were being broadcast on at least an hourly basis, and that was on the national level. Her network was already hard at work preparing the broadcast and extra footage into a documentary on Were life after the war that was sure to be highly rated. Derek didn't want the press to turn his Pack's old site into a circus, so he had limited access to the only person he had cause to trust. She was a fast rising star now in the news business, but all that would have to wait until the story was done.

He was using the down time between shots and stories to learn more about his mate. Her beauty was obvious, but there was far more to her. She had a depth of intelligence he did not expect, and a quick self-deprecating wit. He learned the story of her relationship with Gary and saw the loyalty and respect she still had for him. The more he learned, the more captivated he was. Meanwhile, she had quickly grown comfortable in his company and was learning more about the were life from him. He was explaining Were beliefs in Luna and reincarnation as the Pack began to gather around the pyre. The civilian and military personnel at the camp all formed up behind them. The gathering fell silent as Alpha Derek ascended a rock outcropping and raised his hands. "Tonight we send off twenty two of our Pack to Luna's embrace. We honor their lives and their memories, and wish them a speedy return." Derek climbed down and started to work his way down the line of the Pack. As he announced each name, their closest living relatives came forward. He handed them a lit torch. There were several for which there were no remaining relatives, for these families that had come to an end he gave the torch to Amanda. There was total silence as they approached the pyre, spreading out around the perimeter. As one, they tossed their torches on the pyre and returned to the rest of the Pack. The pyre quickly caught fire and as the flames consumed the bodies, Derek stripped with the Pack following. They all changed into wolf form before Derek lifted his face to the moon and let out a mournful howl. The next howl the rest of the pack joined in, the sound echoing off the mountainsides.

Linda and her crew broadcast the entire ceremony live, with no commentary. She had blushed a little as Andy stripped down off camera, but when his gray wolf sat by her side she hugged him as the emotion of the day overcame her. Andy howled his grief while his wolf reveled in his mate taking comfort in him. When it was over, he tucked his head under her chin until she had stopped crying. When she let go, he looked up at her and licked her face to clean off her tears. She squealed, both in shock and realizing what he must be doing to her makeup as she needed to go back live in a few moments. Andy changed back to human form, noting she didn't turn away from his naked form, and then got dressed. He took the crew to a location out of sight of the pyre for them to do the report.

The Pack members and guests slowly dispersed as the fire started to die down, while the families stayed behind. Derek and Amanda circulated among the groups, comforting each of the relatives and sharing memories of their lost. Until they were born again, it was only their memories that would keep them alive within the Pack.

West of Los Alamos, 8 miles NW of dropoff site

Renee woke from yet another dream, mortified at her arousal around a male in her command. She got up and moved up the hill to survey the area, careful not to disturb Red as she did so. Sunrise would be in twenty minutes or so, and the faint glow over the horizon shadowed the rocks and canyons around them. Scenting as she went, she started to pick up faint traces of other wolves from the valley below. She let out a low howl, alerting Red who immediately got up and put his pack on, then took hers in his teeth and carried it up the ridge. When he was next to her, he dropped the pack and deeply scented the air, picking up the same traces she had found. Once she was ready, they set off downhill until they had the trail. It took about four hours of tracking, backtracking and searching before the trail was fresh. Two males.

Since this was a goodwill trip and not a border invasion, Renee decided that they might as well help things out by bringing them to her. Moving to the top of a rock along the creek they were following, she let out a long howl of greeting. Listening for several minutes, she didn't get an answer, so they moved on. Every half hour or so they would try again. The sun was high when they got an answer from four wolves about a half mile away. Hoping to defuse the situation, Renee and Red changed into human form and put on shorts and T-shirts as they stood by the creek waiting for the patrol to arrive. It didn't take long before two of the wolves took position behind them as the leader changed to human form in front of them. "We come in peace to speak to your Alpha," Renee said. "We have information for him regarding the end of the Were War."

The leader softened his countenance slightly before responding, "Who are you and what pack are you from?"

"This is Red and I am Renee Johnson, Next Alpha of the Wyoming Johnson Pack."

"I am Carlos, Beta of the Santa Fe pack. We will bring you to him. Stay between us and do not attempt to deviate or you will be attacked." With that, he changed back to his wolf form and turned back towards where they came from. Renee and Red quickly doffed their clothes, packed them and put the packs on before following. The two wolves behind them trailed the group as it wound its way through the hills. Renee used her bond to pass along making contact to Derek along with their approximate location and direction. Using the bond at this range took a lot of focus, but an Alpha heir could pull it off if she concentrated and didn't try it too often. That kind of projection would give her a headache if done too long.

Press Tents, Johnson Pack Camp

Andy waited outside the tents for Linda to awaken. They had been up late last night with the broadcasts; in addition to the live coverage, there were multiple interviews and questions from various network affiliates. It was almost three AM by the time he walked them back to the tents, and he was hoping she would eat lunch with him. Her crew members made it to lunch, but she didn't. Andy had asked the kitchen to make picnic lunch baskets for them, as he knew she would be hungry when she finally got up. From her crew he knew that she was not scheduled to provide coverage until that evening, and they were going to walk around and get some "file" shots they could use for the upcoming documentary. They were well enough known now that they were comfortable doing this without him, which suited his purposes as well.

When she finally exited her tent, it was clear just how tired she had been and how deeply she had slept. Her blonde shoulder length hair was mussed up, she wore no makeup, she had drool lines on the left side of her mouth and there were red lines on her face from creases on the pillow. She felt like no one should ever see her like this, but to Andy she was a vision. "Good afternoon, Linda! How did you sleep?"

"Like the dead. I needed that so bad, but I can't believe I slept through breakfast and lunch! I haven't done that since I was in college."

"That's OK. I saved you a lunch. Why don't you go get freshened up and I'll meet you back at the tent? Len and Tony are out getting some background footage, I just talked to them and they will be busy for a couple hours."

"Thank you for thinking of me! I'll be back in a few minutes." She went off to the field showers carrying a small bag and a change of clothes. Twenty minutes later, she felt much better about herself. For some reason she wanted to look her best for Andy. It was weird because they had just met, but she was immediately comfortable and felt safe around him, and her dreams last night had been filled with the image of him stripped before her before and after he changed into his wolf form. The thought of it made her sex heat up. It was too bad he was a were, if he was human she would have been flirting with him until he asked her out. She knew enough to know that they only played around until they found their mate, and she didn't want to start a relationship he wouldn't finish. Even if he WAS hot. And strong. And that cock of his was impressive, she hadn't seen one to compare to it since Gary, and she sure missed that one.

When she got back to the tents, Andy was waiting there with a small backpack, water bottles secured on the sides. "If you trust me enough to go with me, I thought we could go eat a picnic lunch at a place I know. I give you my word I'll keep you safe."

"Andy, ever since I met you I've felt safe with you. It's made me feel weird because I'm usually not that trusting, there are so many weirdos out there, and when you're on TV you meet so many. I'd love to have lunch with you. A little relaxation is just what I need." Her smile was soon met and exceeded by his. He handed her the backpack, then stripped naked in front of her and put the clothes in the pack as well.

"Put the backpack on, then you can climb on my back. If you keep your feet crossed above my tail, use your hands to grab onto my chest, and your legs to squeeze gently, you'll stay in place. I'll still understand you in wolf form, so just tell me if you feel uncomfortable or scared at any time and I'll stop. This will be much faster than walking there." With that, he changed into his gray wolf with a single white tip on his left ear. He was much larger than a normal wolf, really more of a small horse, since he was 6'1" and 220 pounds. He lay down for her to get on then rose up and set off to the west.

Her nervousness quickly faded as his lope turned into a run. She screamed her excitement as they rushed through the forest, her hair billowing behind her, her arms holding on as he moved left and right to avoid the trees. It was the most fun she had experienced in a long time, and she realized that part of why it was so much fun was that she trusted him to keep her safe. She had not trusted for a long time, either, and it was a little disconcerting to find this in a man she barely knew. Her mind questioned, but her body betrayed her. If a wolf could smile, Andy was doing that. He had his mate embracing him and her arousal was clearly evident. He picked up the pace even more, hoping to get to the waterfall as quickly as possible.

She heard the water before she saw it. Andy stopped at the top of the narrow canyon before picking his way down the trail to the deep pool below. Linda was awestruck; "It's so beautiful!" She sat up as much as she could while she took in the sights. The water tumbled about thirty feet before churning into a deep, clear pool. There was rock surrounding the pool on all sides, but at the outlet of the pool there was a flat, grassy area shaded by a huge willow tree. Andy stopped there and she hopped off. He changed into human form, but he was still breathing hard and sweaty from the run so before she could say anything he turned and dove into the water. She couldn't tear her eyes from the sight of his muscled shoulders, torso and ass, although she was distracted by how his cock bounced around while he ran. He surfaced in the middle of the pool, treading water, and looked back at her, the challenge in his eyes even though he said nothing. It took her moments to decide, and she quickly stripped off her clothes and dove in after him.

"AAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHH! COLD COLD COLD COLD! You bastard, you tricked me!"

Andy laughed. "What did you expect from a mountain stream? Plus I never said anything, I just didn't react like you thought I should." He swam over to a flat-topped boulder on the near side. She watched him pull himself up and sit down, and she swam over by his dangling legs. Looking up, she raised her arm and he immediately grasped it and pulled her up next to him. "You have to admit the sun feels really good right now," he said, "and I'm glad you aren't freaked out by our casualness towards nudity. You kind of get used to it when it is required every time you shift."

"Why don't you stay clothed when you turn into wolf form?"

"I can't afford to keep replacing clothes like that, when my body changes shape it will tear up anything I wear that is smaller than a tent. It's easier just to wear clothes that are easy to take off. That is why you see most of the men wearing pullover shirts and shorts or pants, and the women prefer sun dresses or skirts and tops. We aren't big on underwear, either."

Linda blushed a little. "Yes, I kind of noticed. I was nervous at first, but when I realized that no one else cared it was easier to blend in. It is hard for me to avoid looking at some things, though." She stole a glance down and quickly turned her eyes back up to his.

"That is perfectly normal for us. It's not that we don't appreciate the human form, we do- but we have a more nuanced view of sexuality than humans. Since non-mated pairs can't breed, sex for us is a fun activity, but we have a deep, instinctual drive to find our true mate. Until that person is found, we don't experience the fullness of our existence. Only that person can bring us the joy of a mated pair, and from everything I've heard, mated sex is far better. It is kind of like eating at McDonalds all the time and suddenly you're in a four-star hotel restaurant; it's the same activity, but a completely different experience."

"I heard you find your mate by scent. How does that happen, and what happens next?"

"It can be a number of ways. The scent of your mate is imprinted on your mind when you reach puberty, and your wolf nature is constantly scenting the air and the people around you looking for it. When you recognize the scent, it could be across a room, or the person next to you, but your wolf notices and takes over. Sometimes all you hear is them saying MINE as they make their way to their mate, and it doesn't matter who or what is between them, it is dangerous to get between a wolf and his mate. Your mate is experiencing the same thing, so coming together can be... well... intense and without restraint. It isn't uncommon for two people who have never met to recognize each other, tear off their clothes and mate right there. It can make for an interesting dinner backdrop!"

"Then what happens?"

"Well, the actual mating takes place during sex. The male will bite the female on the neck or shoulder during her orgasm, and she will do the same during his. The mating bite forms the mate bond, which allows the pair to share thoughts, memories and emotions telepathically. The bite is also the only one that won't heal without a scar; it's the equivalent of our wedding ring. It tells all other Weres that the person is taken."

"That sounds pretty intense. And this all happens with someone you just met a few moments before? Isn't that risky? What if the two don't get along?"

"That is the best part- they are always perfect for each other. We believe Luna ordains us a mate that is the perfect match for us. Our wolves accept that, and our human sides grow into the love bond you see in the mated pairs around you. We mate for life, there is no divorce for us, and no need for it."

"So when will you find your mate?"

"I already have. She just doesn't realize it yet."

Linda's eyes flared with jealousy she didn't recognize she had. "Who is it that is so foolish they won't mate with a guy like you?"

"Linda, please look at me while I say this. The truth is in my eyes. YOU are my mate. While I live there will be no other. I will do anything, wait any time, and forsake any other until you say you will be mine." Linda was shocked, but she couldn't look away. His eyes weren't lying; she was his mate. Deep down she knew it, and it scared the crap out of her, but it was also exciting. She looked away and buried her face in her hands, afraid she would break out in tears at any moment. "I know this is a lot to take, and I'll give you some time to think about it. I'm going to get dressed and set out our lunch." He moved off to do so, and it took her five minutes to calm down and follow him.

He had set out a blanket on the grass, and was reclining on his elbow with the sandwiches and juice in front of him. "Please, don't say anything yet, let's just relax and eat lunch. My wolf feels better knowing you are eating and being taken care of." The meal was tasty, but awkward. She didn't know what to say so she didn't say anything. He could see the emotions flashing across her face in response to his looks. His calm acceptance of everything unnerved her, as her mind was still wrapping itself around the idea that she had a were mate.

"I have a few questions for you. Don't I have to be a were to be mated to you, and what if I don't want to be changed?"

"Yes, in order to be mated and share the pair bond you need to be changed into a were. It isn't like the forced turnings you saw so much of years ago; because you are voluntarily doing it, and the bite occurs when your body is in a euphoric state, your body doesn't fight the change. I would have to bite you, and it would be like a bad flu for a couple hours and then you would receive your wolf. Once you are able to change, you could then bite me during my orgasm and it would form the bond. You don't have to think about what to do, once you have a wolf she will know. If you refuse to be changed, we could still be together if you want, but we could never have babies and we would never have the pair bond. You could also refuse me completely and go on with your life, and I would have to respect your choice."

"What if I agree?"

"Then we need to go before my Alpha and a county judge, declare our intention and get their permission to change you and to be mated. Once we mate, in addition to our pair bond you would become part of our Pack and have an Alpha bond with Derek and Amanda as well. They would be able to communicate with you telepathically just like they can with every other pack member. You would be tested for pack rank and we would be together for the rest of our lives."

Linda was quiet for a while before she stood up and looked down at him. "I can't make a decision now on being changed, but I do know one thing- I want you." She pulled off her top, shucked her shorts, and laid herself down on the blanket, pulling him over to draw him into a kiss.

"I guess that's an invitation then," thought Andy to himself as he rolled himself over to capture her mouth with a kiss. His clothing didn't last five seconds.

Santa Fe Pack Den, West of Los Alamos

Red and Renee were led before a dozen Were in human form. The one in the center was obviously the leader, but he was younger and smaller than she expected. He looked upset as he addressed them. "I am Luis Gonzales, Alpha of the Santa Fe pack. Who is it that dares to trespass on my pack's land?"

"I am Renee Johnson, Next Alpha of the Johnson Pack in Wyoming. I am here to speak with you about the treaty that has ended the Were War on the invitation of Colonel Stan Montgomery, US Army commander of this region. My traveling companion is Red Stillman, an Omega in my pack."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 19 milliseconds