Boston to Birmingham Ch. 05

It took an hour, but she became rational again.

Her training helped her tremendously when she went to see Josh, apologizing for the lateness, saying Hardy had been called out of town on a case, and Melissa had an emergency at school.

Joshua could see she was upset.

"Don't worry, girl. Hardy will be back soon, you can count on it. Listen, there's been something I've been wanting to tell you. I made a will.

I didn't use either one of you because it was a surprise. I want you to have the farm, on the condition that Hildy can live there and you take care of her as long as you live. Also in my will, although I can't enforce it, is that you name your first son Joshua Hardy Wilkes. Will you do that?"

That started a fresh round of tears, and a solemn promise she would do everything in her power to honor his request.

...............................................

Hardy had a collapsed lung, lost a kidney, one bullet broke two ribs, another clipped his small intestines and they had to shorten it four inches. They didn't realize it until they washed the blood off, but another bullet had chipped the top of his left hipbone.

Despite all these wounds, he survived.

He was in a coma for six days. Gwen, Daisy, Hildy, Greg[he came immediately when she called], and even Roy took turns watching over him and Joshua. For the first time, every bedroom in her house was full. Mrs. Hendricks was in heaven taking care of everyone.

A massive manhunt was launched for Ronnie Wilkes, but he dropped off the face of the earth.

When Hardy was finally awake and coherent, the first thing he did was beg Roy to watch over Gwen and Joshua.

Roy grinned, leaned over and whispered in his ear.

"Don't concern yourself about Ronnie, cousin. I have it on good authority, to quote our Northern counterparts, that tonight he 'sleeps with the catfish'."

Hardy smiled and shook his hand.

When he became conscious Gwen never left his side except to shower and sleep occasionally. He fussed but she just smiled.

"Oh no. I've got you, you can't get up and leave, and you can't physically throw me out. You can try to ignore me, but you've lived with me long enough to know that'll never work."

"No Hardy, I'm going to do something I've wanted to do for a long time. Find out who you really are. Not the stories, not the bullshit, not the evasions."

"You can fight me if you want, but you can't go anywhere for a while, and I'm not leaving. If you try to throw me out I'll bribe the nurses. Give me too much shit and I'll have you declared incompetent due to medical conditions and move you into my house. So give."

"Maybe I'll hear so much negative stuff I'll leave you alone forever, but I doubt it."

He sighed, hit the button that boosted his pain medication, and went to sleep.

She was there when he woke up.

..................................................

A week went by. Finally he caved slightly.

"Ask me one thing a week, and I'll answer."

"Did you really do all the things they said you did before you went into the Marines?"

The laugh was long and mirthless.

"If I had done everything that was attributed to me, I would have had to started when I was ten."

"Then why did you take credit?"

"I didn't. I just didn't deny it either. Do you know the first rule of terrorism?"

She shook her head.

"Kill one, scare ten thousand. If people thought I was bad, I was. It worked out, the really bad guys stayed in the background, and the cops couldn't prove anything because I never actually did it. People feared me, and they left me alone. Don't get me wrong, I did bad things, but I was never much into inflicting pain, so sometimes just the hint I might do something brought them around."

"But I've seen you fight, you're pretty good at it. Where did you learn that stuff?"

"My dad had a friend, a guy from the Philippines, one of the smaller islands. He was in jail with him for awhile. He was five feet tall and probably weighed a hundred pounds, but he was the scariest man I ever saw. People in prison steered clear of him."

"He was an expert in Kali and Dumong, two of their martial art styles. He took a shine to me and taught me a lot. He was a lonely man, and my family was good to him. Grandpa let him live and work on the farm for awhile."

"One thing about their martial arts, there was no show in them. Every move was designed to kill or incapacitate, and their weapon and knife work was a true art form."

"That's why everyone thought I was so vicious, because of my fighting style. Luckily, I never killed anybody, but I did break a few legs and arms."

Another week went by, and he thought he might get released.

"Did you really beat up your sister and brother in law? And did you kill her lover?"

"Yes, yes, and no."

"You know more than anyone how I feel about cheaters, and I was really immature at the time. I didn't really beat her up, but I did slap her around."

"I beat the shit out her lover, though. And the only reason I beat up my brother in law was because he jumped me, blindsided me one night. I thumped him pretty good for that. He was ashamed to let people know he jumped me from behind and I still beat him up, so he told my sister I was going to kill him and they moved."

"Why didn't you tell anybody the truth?"

"Remember, the rule of terrorism. If people thought I would do that to my own family, what would I do to them, strangers mostly."

"So what happened with her lover?"

"He tried the same thing my brother in law did, only he used a bat, fractured my arm. I still nearly killed him, and told him the next time I saw him I would. He left that night, didn't even pick up his clothes. His car was being repossessed, so he left it. I took an old jacket he had left, and dropped it way out in the country by a pond. That's how that rumor got spread."

"Don't you miss your sister?"

He went silent for a while.

"Yes, she was pretty much all the family I had except for Grandpa, and we were close as only siblings who had endured great personal trauma can be. I hear she has three kids now, one in her teens."

"Why didn't you try to make peace with her?"

"We parted on pretty rough terms. She called me after they left, chewed me out pretty good, said she was ashamed to be my sister, and some more pretty rough stuff. I thought it best to leave her alone."

"Do you know everybody in the family thinks your banished her, and she's afraid to come home?"

He bristled.

"She could come home anytime she wants. I would never hurt her again. It's that asshole husband of hers that keeps her from coming."

The emotional conversation was tiring him, and they stopped for the evening.

................................................

Joshua gave Gwen the number for his sister, and she called the next morning. It was an emotional conversation, especially when she heard about the medical conditions of both.

"Would you please come and see them? I can say for a fact it would do them both a world of good."

"I'd love to, but I don't have the money for gas, even if my old car would make it."

"Does your husband have a car?"

There was a bitter laugh.

"I'm sure he does. The problem is I don't know where it or he is. He left me almost two years ago. Haven't seen him since."

"Things have changed since the last time you talked to the family. You got some rich relatives now. There will be a rental car in your name in Asheville by ten tomorrow. It will be gassed up and ready to go. Can your car make it that far?"

"I think so, but I still won't have traveling money."

"There will be a debit card at the desk along with the keys. It will have twenty five hundred on it. That should cover meals and gas, shouldn't it? Please, it would mean a lot to us."

"I guess I could, but...."

"Oh, be sure all the kids come. If there's one thing we love, it's more cousins. See you tomorrow night."

She wondered where she was going to put them, her house was actually full. Aunt Daisy came to the rescue.

"I've got nine empty bedrooms. It'll be good to hear children in the house again."

Peggy Wilkes Smith and family were overwhelmed when they arrived. Introductions were made that they were sure they would never remember.

Gwen and Daisy took them in hand, taking them to dine before settling them in. Thirteen year old Peggy Jr and Melissa hit it off, so they decided 'little Peg' would share her bedroom.

Greg was amazed when he saw her, she looked like a smaller version of Melissa.

"Damn, those Wilkes genes sure make pretty girls, too bad about the boys."

Little Peg blushed furiously, but loved the compliment. She was enthralled when Melissa told her he was her great uncle.

"He's a Yankee, but don't hold that against him. He's like super rich, so suck up to him, girl! And he's also full of bull, you'll see, we got some fine looking men in our family, wait 'til you meet your uncle, kinda makes you sorry you're related to them."

"Melissa Sue Wilkes!" said Greg and Gwen at the same time, but it was too late, she was pulling her cousin along towards her bedroom and sticking her tongue out at the same time. They grinned at each other.

"You've spoiled her too much" said Gwen.

"Like mother like daughter", he shot back.

It was true, Gwen had officially adopted Melissa two months ago. It was one of the best days of her life. She and Melissa cried almost the whole day, smiling through the tears.

They let Peggy go in alone the next day, without introduction. She stayed for two hours before she came back out. Her eyes were red and puffy, but she was smiling, looking at peace for the first time since she arrived.

Gwen went in, to see Hardy with his head bowed, looking exhausted. She hugged him, softly, stroking his hair. He took her hands, kissing them gently, a gesture she remembered well. It was of his most intimate touches.

"Thank for this, honey."

Honey? He called her HONEY, for the first time in almost three years. Her own tears came as she nuzzled his hair. He was coming back to her, she just knew it.

................................................

Hardy left the hospital for a month in a rehab clinic. His muscle tone was almost completely gone, and the struggle to return to normalcy was horrendous. He learned to live with pain all over again. While he was there he had three surprise visitors.

Major Stein, Rabbi Bill, and Captain Anne Burnside.

They shook, commented on how each other looked.

"You look like shit, Hardy. You seriously need to develop new hobbies. If you were a cat, you'd be on your tenth life by now."

Major Stein smiled as he said it.

Bill added a few comments of his own, also in the same vein. Then they got serious.

Captain Burnside, a little privacy, please. Why don't you take his companion for coffee?"

"Yes sir."

She spun on her heel and left the room.

"Miss Canaday, would you accompany me please?"

They stopped by the restroom on the way out.

Once they made sure they were alone, they embraced and shared a kiss.

"Anne! It's so good to see you. Why are you here?"

"Officially, I'm the new adjutant to Major Stein. Unofficially, I was dying to see you. How are you, baby girl?"

"I'm doing great. I'm a mother now, did you know?"

"Really? When did that happen?"

"About a year ago. Wanna see pictures?"

By now they had entered the coffee shop and given their orders. Once seated, she opened her purse and took out a picture of Melissa.

Anne looked at the attractive young girl.

"Wow, what's in the water down here? She's gorgeous! How old is this girl?"

"Seventeen, they grow up so fast, don't they?"

Gwen giggled.

"Stepdaughter? Her dad must be a hunk."

"No, full daughter, adopted. Her dad died when she was young, and her mother abandoned her. I kinda got her by default, but it worked out great."

"No man then? I kind of hoped you would have given me a call."

Gwen took her hands.

"What we did was special, beautiful, but it was a once in a lifetime experience. I'm glad I did it, glad it was with you. But there is a man in my life now, and it's getting more serious everyday."

"Who? What's he like? Is he handsome, rich, is he in love with you?"

"Yes, yes, and I think so. We've both just gotten over a failed marriage, so we're taking it slow."

"Does mystery man have a name?"

"Yes. His name is Hardy Wilkes."

Annes' hand flew to her mouth.

"Really?"

"Yes, really. We haven't told each other yet, but it's coming, soon, I think."

"I'm so happy, give me details."

She filled her in on her life since she last saw her.

"Wow, why can't my life be like that!"

"It hasn't been candles and soft music. It was rough. I gave up, a couple of times, but I couldn't let go. I have great hopes for the future."

They were gone over half an hour. The major was frowning.

"Sorry, sir. Long line."

"It's all right. We're done here."

Major Stein shook his hand.

"Hardy, have a great life. Our sessions are over, but if you feel a need, call me."

"Miss Canaday, a minute of your time? We can talk while we go back to the car."

He got halfway there, when he stopped.

"Damn, forgot my briefcase. Will you get it for me, Captain? Good. Give us about five minutes, would you?"

"Yes, sir."

She knew he was giving her an excuse to talk to Hardy.

She hugged him, hard as she felt he could handle. Gave him a fierce kiss.

"It is so good to see you, Hardy. I'm glad you're still alive. I've missed you."

"Anne, I've thought of you often. Is your life good?"

She shrugged.

"You know, married to the Army. Six and a half more years. Then I'm going hunting. My soulmate is out there somewhere. Just my luck, I had two good candidates, but they're already married."

Hardy grinned.

"If they're married to each other, you should seduce them both. Think of the possibilities."

She had never told Hardy she was bi, so she laughed it off.

"Not likely, they've got a bad case of tunnel vision. They can only see their mates. My time is up, I have to go. If I never see you again, I hope you get the happiness you deserve. Remember me fondly, as I will you."

It took her a few minutes to clear her eyes.

.................................................

Finally, he was a functioning human being. He had caved to Gwen and Greg to stay with them, to make it easier to get to his outpatient therapy appointments he said. He wasn't up to driving, so they alternated taking him. Gwen used her time in the car to continue her questioning.

"Did you really take a couple of hookers away from Big Daddy?"

"Yes, but not for the reason you think. I took them to piss him off and teach him a lesson. He had been easing into my business, trying to branch out. I wanted him to know what it felt like when someone started messing with his livelihood."

"I helped one out once, got an abusive john away from her. He was beating her pretty bad. Big Daddy beat her when the john complained."

"She got wind he was going to roll over on a couple of cousins, take their business while they were in jail. She took a big chance by telling me."

"His plan didn't work, and he put her in the hospital. I thought that was a good idea, so I put him in the hospital. She got out before he did, so I took her and his best earner and got them where he couldn't get to them."

"Were they grateful?"

The beat up one was, the other not so much, she didn't like how I treated them."

"Did you make them work for you?"

"No, I locked them in rooms for four weeks. He had hooked them on drugs to control them. It was cold turkey from hell. I had them way out in the country, nobody could hear them, so I just let them scream. On the fourth week I took them to Doc Thomas for physicals, both had mild VD, and he cleared it up for them."

"What happened to them?"

"I took them to Montgomery, got them a place to stay, gave them some money. Told them to have a good life and not make the same mistakes."

"Did they listen?"

"One did, the one that got beat up. The other showed up a month later, and was back with Homer in two weeks. Some people you just can't help."

"The other showed up a week after that, said she was lonely. She stayed with me for about a year, before meeting the man she married and moving to Mobile. They got four kids now. She told him early on what she used to do, and he said he was glad to know he wasn't the only one who wasn't perfect. She fell in love on the spot."

............................................

The next time they were in the car, she asked him a question that had bothered her for years.

"Tell me the story of you and Crystal Anne."

He surprised her.

"No."

"What?"

"I said no. You want to know that bad, get her to tell you."

Screwing up her courage, she called her.

"Crystal, Gwen here. Would you have lunch with me?

It's about Hardy, and he knows I was going to call you."

Crystal seemed reluctant.

"All right, but the first time you bad mouth him, I'm gone."

"It's not about him, It's about you and him. Please?"

"One o'clock, be there, the Gin. Don't be late or I'm gone."

The Gin was at one time a working cotton gin. When cotton gave way to synthetic fabrics, it went empty for years. It was almost derelict when a chef got the building for almost nothing as part of a downtown revitalization project. Stark brick walls, uneven wooden floors, the place stayed packed.

Gwen was twenty minutes early, but still only beat Crystal by about five minutes.

There was no small talk, they ordered and ate in silence.

Gwen pushed her plate away, finally, too nervous to eat.

"Thank you for coming."

Crystal was not going to be easy on her.

"I didn't come for you, I came for Hardy. I called him, and he said to tell you anything you wanted to know. What do you want?"

"Everything. How you met, how long have you known each other, anything you want to tell me."

"Cut to the chase. You want to know if I've ever screwed him, don't you?"

Gwen was embarrassed but shook her head yes.

"Short answer? No. Not ever, and look at me, I'm just as hot as you are. Why? Because he loves me."

"Not like he ever loved you, I became his baby sister, and I could never get him to change his mind."

"While you were growing up with a platinum spoon in your mouth and doting parents, I was growing up in the projects with an alcoholic mother."

"Things were bad but tolerable, until these sprouted out."

She hefted her breasts, causing the man at the next table to choke on his tea.

"Suddenly I wasn't just the ragged kid the guys had to put up with to score with my mom, I was fresh meat. The fact that I was thirteen didn't bother them a bit, and when I complained to my mom, she said I had to learn sometime."

"My older brother ran with Hardy some back then, so I knew who he was. My brother kept the guys at bay while he was around, but in a fit of stupidity decided to rob a store alone. The clerk pulled his own pistol, and when the smoke cleared he had a bullet hole in his leg and guaranteed place of residence for the next six years."

"One guy in particular was coming on to me hard every time mom passed out, and I knew one day he wouldn't stop with a few gropes."

"I knew Hardy had taken some whores away from Big Daddy, so I decided if I had to do it anyway, I might as well make some money at it."

"I cleaned up the best I could and went to see him. He remembered me, talked about my brother for a bit, then asked if he could do anything for me."

"That was when I hit him with my big plan to be his newest source of income, promising I would do whatever and whoever he wanted to, if he would just keep me safe."

"I'll never forget the look on his face. It went from happy and smiling to a look that would freeze water. He got the whole story from me, my drunk mom, her grabby boyfriends, my whole miserable life."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 55 milliseconds