Celestial Matters

~Father Fredrick must put you down Daniel, you cannot be allowed to exsist.~

"I'm sorry Daniel. Truly, when I saw you sitting quietly with your rosary I felt something for you. You alone were faithful amongst so much debauchery." Father Fredrick eased his body off of the rock.

"In fact I knew you were the one that I needed the instant I saw you. I gave you the tools to make a difference in the grand scheme of things. You could have been a hero, a legend amongst the Light."

I spat on the ground, "You sent me to my death. You knew you didn't make me strong enough to survive, just strong enough to commit a useful suicide."

Father Fredrick slowly drew his sword. It gleamed in the setting sun. The words 'Fair Fredrick' were etched into the side.

"I wish in your final moments that you would repent ... but hearing your harsh words, I know that that will not happen. Embrace death Daniel, and know that instead of receiving salvation, you go to your eternal damnation."

I raised my sword.

Father Fredrick sighed, "Then fight to the bitter end child, it makes no difference."

Father Fredrick bounded quickly and within seconds he had closed the gap between us. He moved like a warrior in his prime, rather than an old man.

I barely raised my sword in time for a hasty parry.

Fair Fredrick glanced off Fleeting Light.

Blue sparks flickered off both swords as they made contact. For a moment, both blades gleamed with an ethereal light.

Fredrick attempted to slip his sword under my guard in a fluid riposte. I deflected his blade once more, and backed up in an attempt to reestablish my guard. However, in one blinding flash of preternatural speed, Fredrick turned his sword and made a savage swipe at my left leg. It missed by a feather's breadth.

I refused to believe this old man was a better swordsman than a warrior of youth.

~Age has no meaning for the fitness of a Judicar. He'll be as spry as a young man until God calls him away from this mortal Earth. You, however, will die here. I'll make sure of it.~ Fredrick crept closer again. I kept my sword at the ready. He made an obvious feint to the right, and then tried to swivel it into a left side shoulder jab. In swordsmanship if you can anticipate your opponents move your own movements can be deadly.

I neatly ignored the feint and sidestepped the shoulder jab. I brought my own blade up and caught his sword hand wrist as he overextended himself. For a normal man, that would be enough for him to drop his sword. Fredrick simply winced. Still, my opponent was wounded, now would be the perfect time to press the attack.

I raised my sword.

~ENOUGH OF THIS FARCE, the voice screamed in my head.

My body suddenly felt like it was filled with lead. My arms wouldn't respond to my will, and my head felt heavy, as if I had spent the entire night drinking. My mouth moved on its own.

"I've immobilized him, his heresy will no longer interfere with what must be done," the voice said using my mouth.

Fredrick nodded, "Thank you, Vraiel. I'm sorry your host has turned so far from the true path. I'm sure all will be sympathetic once I return you to Heaven."

Fredrick's eyes suddenly erupted into a livid silver color, "I too thank you Vraiel. Fear not, all will be well." Fredrick's voice had taken on a rather feminine tone.

I felt my body contort into a low bow. My mouth started moving again, "It has been centuries since I'd last heard from you Ilirial. You host is both faithful and true. I will tell all I see of you once I return to Paradise."

Fredrick bowed and continued in his feminine tone, "Please do. Now come Fredrick, let us finish with this unpleasantness."

Father Fredrick hefted his sword and slowly walked toward my frozen body.

This was it. I was going to die, simply because I wanted to live.

I railed against the force that kept my body stilled. I could feel Vraiel in my head. His influence felt like a foreign presence in my body. I focused on that sense of otherness and tried to force it aside.

~Stop fighting me. Mortal willpower cannot overcome me.~ Vraiel said.

"This is my body, I control it ... NOT YOU!"

I could feel Vraiel's might retreat slightly.You completed the ritual, you accepted the life of a Judicar. You agreed to house an Angel in your body.~

"I never knew what was happening. I was never told," I seethed. I continued to push at Vraiel. Feeling slowly seeped back into my limbs.

I was winning.

~Curses, it is too soon! I haven't had the time to complete the merge.~ Vraiel said. His voice sounded far away inside my head.

Father Fredrick cocked back his sword, he left his guard completely open, he was completely confident in Vraiel's ability to hold me.

Vraiel sensed he was about to be overwhelmed. He made one last desperate effort to use my mouth to warn Fredrick that I was free. I mercilessly clamped down on Vraiel inside my mind. I immobilized him like he had me.

Father Fredrick swung, his blade aimed directly for my throat.

I ducked.

Fair Fredrick went sailing clean over my head. Fredrick's eyes widened in disbelief, "Vraiel what are you doing?" He shouted.

I grinned like a mad man, "Sorry Father," I said wickedly. I thrust my sword into Fredrick's chest. Fleeting Light sunk into his body with a wet thud.

"Daniel?" Father Fredrick whispered softly. Blood ran down his chin and his eyes had clouded.

I felt a rush of pleasure. The symbol on my chest began to glow a lurid red. "Yes my child," I whispered softly back in a mocking tone. His face darkened slightly, "You jeer at me in my final moments? Your soul turns blacker with each moment Daniel."

I twisted my sword brutally, and was rewarded with the sound of fresh gore. "I've decided Father, that sin is preferable to your brand of righteousness."

Once again I felt a wave of pleasure from my own heart. The symbol continued to glow.

The priest's eyes once again turned bright silver. "Vraiel," said the feminine voice named Ilirial. "If you can hear me, then I charge you thusly. Make every moment of Daniel's immortal years agony. I go to Paradise ... the Light will hear of the sins that have occurred today."

The silver flickered out of Fredrick's eyes and his body sagged around my sword.

~You don't know what you've done Daniel~ Vraiel whispered in my mind.

I pulled my sword from Fredrick's lifeless body. I didn't reply to the Angel in my head. I cast my gaze out onto the horizon. The crusaders had been victorious. I could hear the sounds of their revelry in the distance.

I wiped my sword on Fredrick's robe. I could see their far off campfires. It would be only an hour's hike to return to my station. For a brief moment, I let myself imagine that I could return to my old life.

I sighed, and sheathed my sword. It didn't feel right to go return to their ranks. I doubted I was welcome in 'God's army' now.

I turned and started trudging my own path amongst the dusty rocks.

Endless years of immortality yawned before me.

-------

(1623 A.D. Northern France) I returned to consciousness with a start.

That dream had been more vivid than the last. Today would probably be the day. I stretched, and rolled of my bedroll.

~I really hate it when you dream of that day~ Groused Vraiel in the back of my mind.

"Sorry I muttered, I can't really help it when we get this close to him," I said apologetically.

My little campfire sputtered out of existence underneath my boot. It was a fine day, the sun was shining and if was a perfect climate.

I slung my pack over my shoulder and adjusted Fleeting Light so that it buckled at my hip. My horse whinnied lightly. She was a good white mare, and I had got her at a bargain in Paris. Her previous owners had been old and poor, and had been unable to get any decent use out of the spry horse.

I loaded her saddlebags and heaved myself onto her back after them. I had been traveling for days. While I was used to constant travel, I wasn't used to being so close to my goal.

I paused. I tapped into my powers, and extended my consciousness. I winced slightly at the pain that erupted in my chest. My demonic center hated it when I used the powers of the Light.

I ignored the pain, and continued questing outward. He couldn't have just disappeared. His magic was too powerful for him to go unnoticed.

~There!~ Vraiel announced suddenly.

"Where?" I asked. "I still can't sense him."

Vraiel chuckled, It's very faint. He isn't exuding any power at the moment. If my consciousness hadn't stumbled directly over him I never would have found him~

"You don't think he knows we're tracking him do you?" I asked.

Vraiel paused.Hard to say ... he's a tricky bastard, he might have sensed us like we've sensed him. I suppose the real question is, does it change anything?~ I shook my head, "No, we've come too close to retreat."

I spurred my mare onwards, and she broke into a light trot. The forest floor was bumpy and it was uncomfortable to try and keep my seat.

The wind rustled softly through the forest canopy. I inhaled deeply. It was a wonderful day to be alive.

~What if he kills you before you are able to destroy him Daniel?~ Vraiel asked quietly in my head.

I sighed contentedly, and took another deep breath. "If I am bested then I am bested Vraiel. I will accept my fate if I die with my mission unfulfilled."

Vraiel digested that for a moment.You don't deserve that fate Daniel.~ He said quietly.

I laughed, "I think Heaven might disagree, but I'm glad you think so."

We fell silent, and retreated into our own introspections. I mindlessly checked all the tools of my trade. Over the years this caution had become habit. My vial of Holy water was nestled in its silk wrapping deep in my pack. A small silver cross that had been blessed thrice on the summer solstice rested in a pouch at my side. A small scroll of earth moving also rested in that box. This scroll had replaced the shovel I used to lug around. The scroll was a gift from a hedge witch as payment for removing an imp from her cottage.

Vraiel wasn't happy about that gift.

I suppose I could understand his unease. I carried the scroll as a defense against the Light. The only way to kill an Angel was to bury it alive, and with that scroll I could quickly manipulate earth.

I explained several times to Vraiel that even after all these years; I still had enemies amongst the Light.

He begrudgingly accepted that explanation.

Lastly, I lightly touched the place where the pentagram marked my chest. I could feel it awaken at my touch. My heart skipped a beat ... and for a moment my mind filled with the most perverse desires I could imagine.

~DANIEL!~ Shouted Vraiel in my head.

I quickly moved my hand away from the mark. "Sorry," I croaked unsteadily.

~I don't know why you do that. The same thing happens every time.~ Vraiel said huffily.

"It's become a habit. You know I check everything supernatural on my person before a coming battle."

~That damn mark is the one thing of power I truly wish we didn't carry with us.~ Vraiel said.

"It has saved us numerous times. It is the most powerful thing we have," I said wearily. I was tired of having this conversation over and over.

I could almost anticipate his answer verbatim.

~Immortality, accelerated healing, immunity to illness ... and the occasional uncontrollable desire to sin.~ Vraiel recited.

I kept my silence. At this point both Vraiel and I knew that it could not be undone. Truth be told I often thought of what it would be like if my heart was free of the demon's mark ... and if I forgot to think about it, my dreams reminded me.

"How much longer must we ride? How far away is the demon?" I asked.

~About three leagues yet. We probably won't reach him until sunrise tomorrow.~ Vraiel said.

"At least we'll have the advantage of the sun."

~The sun didn't stop him all those years ago.~ Vraiel cautioned. I had often thought about that. By nature demons could not abide the glare of the sun. I had the experience to validate that claim. I had seen enough imps turn into stone gargoyles, and enough ghouls burst into flames that I knew beyond any doubt, that the sun affect those of the Dark.

Yet that didn't alter the fact that Lord Devnikolus, Prince of Destruction and Undoing, fought me under the sun all those years ago. Fought me, and proved himself far more than my equal.

~Put it out of your mind Daniel~ Vraiel said soothingly.We will be sure to fight him under the sun once more.~ I nodded. I found myself touching my magic tools again.

-------

The day had worn on to become uncomfortably hot. My undershirt began to cling to my perspiring body. I needed water, and to break for food. But still, I needed to press onward. My target could move great distances at great speed, there was no time for rest.

~Daniel, stop this foolishness. You're dizzy and about to lose your seat on your mount. Eat something, and rest your horse. We have waited this long, we can wait a little longer.~ I sighed. Vraiel's advice giving me all the excuse I needed to pause. I pulled the reigns gently, and the mare eased to a halt. I swung my leg over the side, and descended with all the grace of a frail old man.

I made camp in a small clearing. A charming little brook babbled merrily on the outskirts, and I took the time to soak my dirt stained jerkin and undershirt in the cool water. The water felt wonderful on my hands, and before I knew it, I had stripped from my leggings and small clothes, and heaved myself into the stream.

-------

I hung my jerkin on a nearby tree and wiggled back into my leggings and removed my sword from my belt. The evening birdsong twittered above my head while I gathered kindling. The sun was setting gradually and the hot day was settling into a pleasant eve.

I undid my blanket from the horse and drew it over my shoulders in hopes of keeping the cold from my still damp body. With deft fingers and my box of flint and tinder, I managed to start a respectable campfire.

With little else to do, I dined upon the last of my salted beef and stared into the flames.

~Do you ever tire of all the travel?~ Vraiel asked gently in my head.

I pondered his question while I chewed my rations. "I try not to think of it too much," I responded honestly.

~Do you never think of taking a wife? Of fathering a child?~ pressed Vraiel.

I took a deep draught from my freshly filled waterskin, "We've talked of this before Vraiel," I responded wearily.

~You answered me once, but that was long ago. For the longest time you have ignored that question.~ Vraiel said.

"As I intend to this night," I replied.

~Very well, Vraiel replied, I'll ask again in a month.~ I grumbled, "Why are you so interested? I cannot fathom what makes you..." I cut my speech short as I heard a rustling in the bushes. I sat very still and listened closely to the sounds of the forest and the night.

An animal would be scared away by the fire, a man would be drawn to them ... a demon would have attacked by now.

Three men emerged from the undergrowth at the far side of the clearing. They were skilled woodsmen, to have evaded my preternatural ear.

All the men carried swords at their hips, and one of them carried a crossbow with a bolt loaded and drawn. The weapon was pointed squarely between the eyes. I had some experience with the kind of bow the man was wielding. It was deadly accurate at this range ... far more so than a flintlock, and far less expensive.

Despite their obviously hostile manner, I decided to pretend at ignorance.

"Ho travelers!" I yelled out in a jaunty manner. "Would you care to share the warmth of my fire this pleasant evening?"

The one holding the crossbow grimaced. "Keep quiet you noisy lout," he said in a menacing tone. "We've no time for niceties. Kindly turn over the horse and the bags and your life will be spared."

The tiny man to his right with eyes like a weasels pointed at my sword lying by the fire. "He's got a sword Didier, he's got a sword."

The man with the crossbow named Didier cast his glance upon my sheathed blade. "Alright there, stand slowly and walk away from your weapon," said Didier.

Slowly I stood and walked away from my sword, "Please sirs," I said in a rather pathetic tone, "I've nothing of worth to steal beyond my horse and sword. The horse is yours, but my sword is old a rusty, and worth nothing but sentimental value. It was me pa's sword you see. He carried it-"

"Silence," shouted Didier. He gestured to the third and largest man in their company of highway men, "Jean fetch the sword and bring it here."

The big blond man grunted his assent and moved toward my campfire.

"Right," Didier said, "Now remove that blanket from your person. Henri, search the good monsieur for any valuables upon himself."

~You're shirtless, Vraiel reminded me in my head.When you remove that blanket they will see the demon's mark on your chest.~ I thought my answer back, rather than replying aloud.What would you have me do? They've got my sword, and that crossbow can fire faster than I can move.~ Vraiel sighed mentally, a rather interesting occurrence.I will never understand your reticence to use your powers as a member of the Light.~The symbol hurts when I use my powers.~ I answered truthfully.

~Do you see any other way of escaping these men?~ Vraiel asked pointedly.

~I need to be at full power to confront Lord Devnikolus~ I replied hotly.

~You need to be alive to confront the demon Daniel.~ Vraiel said.

I hated it when he was right.

Henri approached me cautiously. "Hey!" He said angrily. "You heard Didier. Take off the blanket."

I steeled myself. Their sins had led them to this end. I whispered a quick prayer for them.

I flung my blanket aside. The dark pentagram brand on my chest was revealed for the bandits to see.

"Didier!" shouted Henri. "Look at the mark on him! It's not natural."

"No," I replied solemnly. "It is not natural. It is the mark of a sin too great for your ignorant minds to comprehend." My voice was laced with Angelic power. I reached farther into myself to gather the magic I would need. I knew my eyes would glow bright silver to these men. Henri stumbled backwards with his mouth ajar. Didier stopped rifling through my bags to look at me with fear on his face. The one named Jean made no sound.

"I am a Judicar, a judge of Heaven. I have weighed your actions and found them sinful. Your punishment will be meted out swiftly and without remorse."

The magic came bubbling forth, only too eager to serve. I could feel my chest tighten, and my demonic core rebel against the powers of the Light. I ignored the pain, like I had so many other times.

I moved faster than the men's eyes could follow. Henri tripped over a stray root and fell to the ground. Before he could understand what was happening I stood over him.

"Mercy please!" He cried out into the eve.

"No," I replied. I plunged my hand into his chest, using magic to increase my strength, and protect my hand from harm. It entered his body and exited between his shoulder blades.

He died instantly.

I removed my hand from the corpse. It was slick with my enemy's blood.

"MONSTER!" cried Didier frantically. He jumped for his crossbow, which lay on the ground between us.

Using my preternatural speed, I moved swiftly, and placed my boot upon the weapon before he could reach it. To him it must have looked like I appeared from thin air.

Before he could speak, I used that same foot to kick him in the throat. My foot crushed his windpipe, and he died gasping for air. I turned, ready to deal with the last of the bandits. I had expected to find Jean rushing at me. To my surprise ... he wasn't.

Instead the tall blond man simply stared at me.

His apparent calm broke my stride. I stood still. My body was still thrumming with my summoned energy. My fingers crackled with Light magic. I winced slightly as the demonic symbol made its displeasure known.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 11 milliseconds