Champions Vol. 02

*** Chapter 34: Hitchhikers May Be Escaped Mental Patients ***

040930JUN13 DW

15th of Pyanepsion, 2351 EC

The Isle of Eirini

After breakfast they dressed, broke down the tent, and began their trek back to 11's house. He had asked them to stop by for tea if they survived, and while none of them were enthusiastic about dealing with the man again, they felt obligated to repay him for his help the previous day. Plus Sapphire was hoping to barter for some of his tea leaves for the trip home.

The return trip to the clearing with [eek]'s hut took them longer than the trip out had, but eventually they made it back. The smell of wood smoke guided them in the final half kilometer. Walking out into the clearing they could see [eek] near the front steps of his hut, cleaning some massive flat disc. As they got closer they could see that it was some kind of wood, with decades of dirt on it.

"Hello Eek," Laurena greeted him, forgetting to use the high-pitched squeak.

Looking up [eek] nodded in greeting absently, and then he turned to the side and addressed the white rabbit, Bertha, who was barely visible in the tall grass beside him. "Yes, they're here now, bully for you. Don't think this means you're off the hook."

Bertha squeaked in what sounded like an affronted manner.

"Hey," [eek] replied grumpily, "you were the one that wanted to be the new Head of Security. It's not my fault you failed to notice the first people to step on the island in years. Keeping me informed of their movements after the fact doesn't change anything."

Bertha rose up on her back paws, and squeaked several times rapidly.

"Okay, okay," [eek] responded defensively, holding his hands up to ward her off. "You can keep the job for now, but the next screw-up will be the last, you hear me," he finished, wagging a finger in her direction.

Bertha dropped to all for paws, squeaked, and did a little hop.

"Now go on inside and get the tea started while I talk with these nice people," [eek] commanded.

Bertha squeaked, and then ran off inside the hut.

Turning to face the three of them [eek] just shrugged. "Her mom was like family, so she pretty much gets away with murder. What can you do?"

Laurena and Sapphire were thoroughly perplexed. David had given up on sanity with [eek] a while ago, so he nodded sagely and replied, "Women. Nothing you can do."

Sapphire's head spun so fast to the side to shoot a withering look at David that her neck hurt. [Eek] nodded in agreement with the soldier, and Laurena just felt more confused.

"Well," [eek] interjected, "I did ask you fine young ladies, and the idiot you so generously allow to travel with you, to stop by for tea if you survived. And seeing as how you're standing here now, you must have survived. So now I owe you tea." He waved them forward and led them into his hut.

The inside was actually far more neat and tidy than any of them expected. There was a small fireplace with a pot of water hanging over the flames, a single person straw mattress on a rough wooden frame, a worn rocking chair, a table with one bench seat, a single large cupboard, and two large shelves (one with books and clothes on it and the other with multiple accoutrements for preparing and eating meals).

Motioning them forward, [eek] pulled the rocking chair away from the fireplace and gestured for Laurena to sit in it. Then he pulled the bench seat away from the table and sat it nearby, motioning for David and Sapphire to use it. He sat on his bed, as it was the only other surface, besides the floor, available.

"So how did it go?" [eek] asked Laurena.

She hesitated, not sure how to answer the question. It had been an extremely difficult experience, but she had also learned a number of valuable (albeit painful) lessons, as well as three powerful rare spells. But how in the world do you summarize all of what she had gone through in a way that would make sense?

Noting her response (or lack thereof) [eek] just nodded knowingly. "Yep, about how I figured it would go," he said. Then he turned to address Sapphire and David, "And thanks for listening to my advice...eventually. You're a very pretty and nice lady, and the wall of meat you let follow you around seems to make you happy, so I'm glad neither of you got yourselves killed."

Sapphire and David had no clue how to respond to that.

"Eek, I have a few questions if you are willing to answer them," Laurena asked.

"Sure thing," [eek] replied, checking the water to see if it was boiling yet.

"Are you the Keeper of the Tomb of the Fallen?" she asked.

[Eek] sighed. "I was. I decided to quit about ten years ago, got tired of it. Of course, it's not the first time I've quit. It's not exactly the kind of job you just walk away from, you know. Plus 'the boss' wasn't exactly around for me to formally resign to."

"Oh," Laurena replied. "Do you mean Eros?"

"Yeah," [eek] nodded. "He hasn't visited in over twenty years, and it's not like I can just walk to the nearest town and take up pottery is it? So I guess I am kind of still the Keeper, in a way. But I refuse to do the work. Too damned boring," he said vehemently.

Laurena lapsed into silence, mulling over his words. During their talk the pot started to boil, and [eek] pulled it off the fire and hung it on a hook mounted beside the fireplace. He pulled three chipped mugs and a pouch from the nearby shelf, added a ladle of water to each mug, and then opened the pouch and added a pinch of something to each cup. Using a spoon he stirred each one and handed them off to his guests. Pulling down a fourth mug he made himself 'tea' as well, with two pinches in his cup.

Sapphire and Laurena sniffed their cups tentatively. The 'tea' had a woodsy smell. David didn't bother; he had partaken of far too many unusual things in Afghanistan to be picky anymore. Besides, he could heal himself it he got sick. Taking a sip of the steaming cup, he swallowed and considered the flavor. It tasted like he had just licked a tree.

Seeing David try it with no ill effects, Laurena and Sapphire both took tentative sips as well. Laurena coughed in surprise at the unusual taste, while Sapphire just wrinkled her nose. Neither of them were fans. Meanwhile, [eek] was drinking from his own mug with relish, as though savoring a fine wine.

"This is very interesting tea, Eek," Laurena coughed politely, wondering if she could surreptitiously banish the mug's contents without [eek] noticing. She had no desire to continue drinking it, but did not want to offend their host. Sapphire had decided to buy time by blowing on her mug as though it was too hot to drink yet.

"White willow?" David asked, taking another sip.

"I wish," [eek] sighed longing. "They won't grow here, don't like the temperature or the soil. Only kind I can get to grow is black."

David nodded. His mom used to make a similar tea when he was growing up on the farm, so he had partially recognized the taste. But it wasn't quite the same. The different species of tree would explain it. He and [eek] both took another sip while the women looked at them amazed at the odd conversation. It was the first time [eek] and David had had a seemingly normal conversation, and both women were thoroughly lost.

Seeing Sapphire's expression David explained, "Willow bark tea. My mom used to make it. It is an old fashioned remedy for minor aches and pains. She used to make it from white willow, and [eek]'s tea tasted similar, but not exactly the same. It is because he makes his from black willow." He didn't bother to add that part of the reason it tasted different was because his mother mixed in cinnamon to mask the bitter bark taste.

"It sounds like she's a smart woman," [eek] complimented.

"Yes," David replied with a hint of sadness in his voice, "she was the kindest, sweetest, and most intelligent woman I've ever known."

Noticing the tone, [eek] added solemnly, "My condolences."

"Thank you," David answered, appreciating the gesture.

The room lapsed into silence once more. Sapphire had slipped her hand into David's and squeezed it reassuringly. They had discussed the pain of losing a parent before, and both still felt the ache sharply at times. David smiled at her with love, thankful for her presence. Laurena pretended to sip her cup, not sure what to do. [Eek] sat quietly, a faraway look in his eyes.

Eventually [eek]'s mind returned from wherever it had gone, and he asked, "So where are you lot off to now?"

"Erosius," Laurena replied.

"Works for me," he said, finishing his mug of tea and standing. "Just let me grab a few things and we can go."

As he moved towards the door Sapphire called out, "We?"

"Yeah," he replied. "Like I said, I quit. I'm done with this whole Keeper racket. I figure I'll catch a ride back to civilization with you folk. It's not like I've got any other options is it?"

"Oh, okay," she replied sheepishly. He had mentioned that he wanted off the island earlier.

"I'll just be few minutes," he reassured them, walking outside. Unnoticed the entire time, Bertha hopped down from the top of the cupboard along a series of ledges and darted outside. A few moments later they could hear the clanging of metal as [eek] gathered his belongings. Soon they hear muffled squeaks, and his replies.

Squeak, squeak, squeak.

"No. I'm leaving and that's final. I quit. I told your mom ten years ago that I quit and she didn't believe me either. I'm just as serious today as I was then."

Squeak.

"No. You can't come with me. It's not safe for you off the island."

Squeak.

"Don't tell me you can handle yourself, did you forget who trains all of you? I definitely don't remember you ever showing up for squad tactics practice."

Squeak.

"Patches?! That overstuffed lump of fluff wouldn't know his ass from a dandelion if I hadn't taught him!"

Squeak, Squeak.

"I don't care how many fuzzy asses you've kicked. Your cousins are all a bunch of light-weights anyway."

Squeak.

"Fang?! No way. There is no way you beat Fang. That wily old bastard would have kicked your furry butt from one end of this isle to the other. Now get back in that house and find my travel bag. I've got to get going."

A very loud and indignant sounding 'squeak' followed that command. The three perplexed and amused guests then watched Bertha hop back inside the hut and under the bed. Sapphire began giggling at the ridiculous situation.

About three minutes later [eek] came back inside in a huff. Looking around fruitlessly for a few moments, he finally asked, "Did Bertha come through here."

Giggling Sapphire pointed under the bed.

"Thanks," [eek] said. Then he moved over to the bed and checked beneath it. Rummaging around, he pulled out a very old looking leather satchel, which had been patched nearly as often as his robes. Flipping it open, he began to toss random items into it. It was nearly full when the crashing of metal sounded from outside. Surprised, all four of them rushed out to see what had happened.

In front of the hut was a pile of gear that had fallen over. There was a large and oddly lumpy bundle, wrapped in red cloth. Beside it was an old and partially rusted iron tipped spear, as well as an old bronze helmet (which apparently had seen a number of battles given the amount of dings and scrapes on its surface), an old bronze short sword, and the partially cleaned wooden circle he had been working on earlier, which upon closer inspection appeared to have fittings affixed to its surface. The spear had fallen, knocking the sword into the helm. Beside the pile was a very large and fluffy rabbit, with a calico coloration.

"Damn it Patches," [eek] yelled. "Your fat ass needs to watch where you're going."

The rabbit just sat there, unresponsive.

"Yeah, you keep ignoring me smart ass," [eek] grumbled. "And what in the name of Hades did you think you were doing, training Bertha?" he added angrily. "You know she is too delicate for that shit."

Patches refused to dignify that sexist comment with a response. Or was it a speciest comment... Either way, the rabbit didn't say shit.

Continuing to grumble, [eek] gathered up his belongings. Opening the red cloth bundle he pulled out a very old, tarnished bronze cuirass, sculpted to resemble a heavily muscled torso. Removing his threadbare robes the three spectators were relieved to discover that he was dressed in a long red tunic, which he had been wearing beneath it. As [eek] slipped the cuirass on David noted that the bundle of red cloth also contained a pair of old bronze greaves which covered from below the ankle to above the knee, a pair of old and battered bronze bracers, and a tangle of leather straps.

Once [eek] had donned the cuirass, he pulled some of the leather straps and a six inch wooden rod from the bundle and began to affix them to the large wooden disc. About halfway through the process David realized the large disc was actually a shield that [eek] had pulled the straps and handle off of to clean. Once [eek] had the shield reassembled, he used a long leather strap to sling it over his back. Then he pulled a sword baldric from the bundle of gear, wound up his robe and shoved it and the helmet inside the red cloth, and tied the bundle back together tightly. Sheathing the sword in the baldric he put it on opposite of the shield sling, then stuck the tip of his spear through the knot in the top of the red cloth bundle. He lifted the entire mess up, and rested across his shoulder.

Finished, he announced, "Okay, time to get away from this madhouse."

"Aren't you forgetting something?" David inquired.

"Nope, pretty sure I got everything," [eek] replied confidently.

"Then where is your satchel?" Sapphire added drily.

"Shit!" [eek] cursed, dropping his spear-bundle and rushing into the hut.

As [eek] moved towards the door the three of them could now see the face of the shield. It was a solid sheet of bronze, with a Greek Lambda painted on its center.

Laurena gasped, recognizing the symbol from the temple mural. David's eyes widened, wondering if the letter meant what he thought it did.

They heard the splash and hiss of water putting out a fire inside the hut, then [eek] rushed back out with the satchel over his shoulder, sharing space with the shield sling. Snatching up the bundle he had dropped, he announced again, "Okay, I am really ready to go now."

David, Sapphire, and Laurena nodded and set off toward their dinghy. Behind them they heard [eek] calling out, "The place is all yours, Patches. Make sure you keep an eye on Bertha."

As they walked toward the beach Laurena asked [eek] about the shield.

"I've had it forever," [eek] explained.

"Before you started going by [eek], did people call you Athanasios?" she asked, not sure which answer she wanted to hear.

"Yeah," [eek] replied.

Laurena gasped. This man, who was dirty, unkempt, and a little unstable, was not only the Keeper of the Tomb of the Fallen, he was also the Guardian of Eros' Champions; and he had just quit.

"Is it okay if we call you Athanasios instead?" Sapphire asked politely, oblivious to Laurena's internal upheaval.

He considered the request for a few minutes, and then finally nodded. "Yeah, I guess that'd be alright," Athanasios allowed.

"Thank you," Sapphire replied.

Laurena decided to wait until they got back on the ship to discuss with David and Sapphire what she had learned about Athanasios in the temple. She would need their advice on how to deal with a man that might be 2400 winters old.

*** Chapter 35: Stow-Away ***

041530JUN13 DW

15th of Pyanepsion, 2351 EC

The Isle of Eirini

None of the four travelers spoke much after the revelation of Athanasios true name. After a few hours of walking they arrived back at the dinghy, and quickly loaded up. Using magic, David levitated them off the beach and out into the water, then began to row them back to the ship. The fog bank surrounding this side of the isle had not dissipated, so they moved with great caution until they reached the Sophia.

Their return had already been noted, and lines were thrown to them as soon as they were near. Shaking his head at how clueless he had been when leaving the ship the first time, David hooked up the lines to lift the small craft back to the deck of the larger ship, and then used magic to lift the dinghy and its occupants back on board.

"Well now," Captain Epaphras greeted them with a smile, "that's a handy usage of magic right there. Bit too much work for the rest of us, but I imagine it's not terribly difficult for yourself."

David just shrugged. "I can get pretty handy...when I remember to use it," he said, with a look to the smirking Sapphire.

Athanasios hopped out of the dinghy and addressed the captain, "Permission to come aboard?"

"Granted," Captain Epaphras replied, giving Athanasios a measured look. His scruffy appearance and substandard hygiene was certainly an oddity to the captain, for he was used to daily spells of cleanliness being the norm. "You find yourself in good company," the captain added, addressing the newcomer while gesturing toward the returning trio.

"My thanks, sir," Athanasios responded politely.

"Was your trip a success, Champion?" the captain asked, addressing Laurena as the rest of the group exited the dinghy.

"Yes it was, Captain Epaphras," Laurena replied with a smile. "Allow me to introduce our guest. This is Athanasios, former Keeper of the Tomb of the Fallen, now retired."

Athanasios bowed at his introduction.

"Athanasios," Laurena continued, addressing the newcomer. "This is Captain Epaphras, captain of the Sophia, a trading vessel out of Calavius in Erosius. The vessel beside us is Laurena's Chariot, an Amanduran scout vessel that was captured and renamed two weeks ago. It is captained by Epaphras' son Lysandros, former First Mate of this fine vessel."

Athanasios nodded in understanding, looking over the adjacent ship.

"Captain, Athanasios has asked to return to Erosius with us, and I have agreed. I hope that is acceptable," Laurena explained.

"His presence with you is all the reassurance I need," Captain Epaphras replied. Turning to Athanasios he continued, "Allow me to get us underway and I will have someone find you a cabin and show you around the ship."

"My thanks again, captain," Athanasios responded.

"We are ready to get underway, aren't we, Champion?" Epaphras asked.

"Yes, although I doubt I can reverse the precision navigation that got us here," Laurena cautioned.

"I can get you out of this fog," Athanasios offered.

The entire group turned to look questioningly at the strange man.

"What," he said defensively. "I live here; of course I know how to leave safely."

Captain Epaphras shot Laurena a questioning look, and she just shrugged. She had no more information to offer than Athanasios already had.

Sighing, Athanasios started to reach into his satchel. "If it helps you decide I have a map of where the rocks are in here somewhere," he explained, then yelped and jerked his hand out of the satchel.

"Damn it, Bertha," he yelled angrily, "I told you that you couldn't come with me you annoying little stow-away. What the Hades do you think you're doing?"

The sides of the satchel moved, and Bertha's head poked from the top opening. Reaching in Athanasios pulled Bertha out of the satchel and sat her on the deck of the ship. Seeing how the rabbit was dressed, David chuckled, Sapphire burst into laughter, Laurena shook her head in exasperation, and Captain Epaphras just looked on puzzled.

The white furry rabbit was wearing a helmet made from a shallow-bottom silver cream server, which had been heavily modified. The base had been removed, two holes had been cut for her ears, and the handle was now attached like a war crest along the center of it, painted red. She was also wearing armor...sort of. Around Bertha's torso was a heavily modified turtle shell, which also had red war paint on it.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in [...] milliseconds