Champions Vol. 02

Cassius was impressed with this idea. It would cost a bit to get started, but the guild could earn more than four times their investment back in the first week if they were smart.

"This is a good plan, and you have my approval. I will gain you full approval for this from the Night Lord, but for the moment my approval is sufficient. Prepare your people and the goods for this idea," Cassius instructed. "Is there anything else?"

"Yes, Shadow Lord," Lykos replied, glad his first idea was approved so quickly. "I think the guild-members on the city guard should start extracting an 'Exitibus public safety tax' from travelers. The wording may need to change, but if it was presented in an appropriate manner -- perhaps as a fund to help care for the families of the 'guards' who died defending the city -- we could increase revenue without much effort at all."

Cassius considered the request. This proposal was riskier than the first. It involved overt action taken in public by their people, rather than covertly. If word of their actions got back to the sheriff there would be little hiding it. However, they could prepare for discovery from the beginning. Create an actual fund that the money went into, and only report a small percentage of what they truly collected. On the face of it, the entire operation would seem legitimate, with only the amounts being suspect.

"I will discuss this with the Night Lord as well," Cassius finally stated. "For the moment take no action on this. I do like the idea, but it may contain more risk to the guild than the Night Lord wishes to allow at the moment."

Lykos sighed in frustration. The constant secrecy, and waiting for answers from the Night Lord was sometimes too much for his patience to handle. It was an obviously good idea, with little risk, why not do it?

"Would you prefer to ask for the Night Lord's approval yourself?" Cassius asked him, menace in his voice.

Lykos heard the threat, but was tired of tip-toeing around the issue.

"Yes, actually I would very much like to speak with the Night Lord myself about this issue," Lykos snapped back.

Then do so, reverberated through Lykos' mind. It sounded maddeningly loud in his head, and caused him to flinch when he first heard it, thinking someone was shouting into his ear. When he realized whose voice it was though, that was when he really flinched.

"N-N-Night L-Lord?" he stuttered.

You wished to speak with me directly, the deep voice rumbled in his head. Now do so.

Looking fearfully to the Shadow Lord, Lykos saw that the man was smirking beneath his half-mask. Shaking himself from the surprise, the Shadowmaster gathered his thoughts and began to speak again, "Yes, Lord. I have a few ideas that should help increase our revenues without exposing the guild to too much risk."

I am aware of them, the Night Lord replied. I believe the counterfeiting is a good venture; you have my authority to commence immediately. The 'taxes' will need to be handled very carefully, and more than just your own people need to be aware of how to execute it. Shadowmaster Blade's men on the guard will have to participate in collection, as well as help keep the secret. Do no proceed with this plan until you receive guidance from the Shadow Lord. THAT is HIS job.

"Yes, Lord," Lykos replied respectfully.

"Is there anything else?" Cassius asked with amusement.

"No, Shadow Lord, that was all I wanted to discuss," Shadowmaster Whisper answered.

"Then focus on the operation that has been approved, and await guidance for the rest," Cassius dismissed him.

Nodding, Lykos ambled off into the night, hoping that the Night Lord did not deem it necessary to follow him. The voice in his mind had been like a heavy weight pressing upon him, and it was an experience that he was disinclined to repeat any time soon.

Once Shadowmaster Whisper departed, Cassius whispered, "That one is becoming rather ambitious, Lord."

Indeed, the Night Lord replied, but his mind is a valuable asset for the moment. Contact Shadowmaster Blade and discuss the 'taxes' with him. I believe your idea of setting up a 'charity fund' to conceal the profits has merit, but try to lead him toward making the suggestion. This joint venture will be more successful if both Shadowmasters feel equally invested in the outcome.

Cassius agreed, and promised to schedule the meeting for the next night. It was late already, and he did not want his wife asking too many questions about his activities. As the Shadow Lord began his walk home he removed his half-mask and turned his dark cloak inside out, exposing the soft tan-colored side. Had anyone seen him that night, they would have noted that Cassius was once again taking his time walking home from the Traders' Rest, after having put in a very long day. They would not have been entirely wrong, but they would have been terribly misinformed.

*** Chapter 37: The Mora Marches ***

180700JUN13 DW

1st of Maimakterion, 2351 EC

Sanctuary Port, Erosius

The morning dawned brightly, with a festival atmosphere in Sanctuary Port. The Erosian Eastern Mora was on the move! The main roads through the town were decorated, and the town square before the Great Temple had been cleared for the ceremony. As soon as the sun's first rays had begun to hit the tips of the cities rooftops families had gathered their excited children and moved towards the city center. There was only enough room in the central square for a small percentage of the population to witness the full ceremony, but all along the parade route into and out of the city people gathered to witness the march of their defenders.

As the bell tower in the Great Temple rang out the seventh hour of the morning, those gathered eagerly awaited the marching army. However, they were not forced to wait long. As the clang of the last bell still echoed through the streets, the edges of the crowd began to hear cheering. The mora had arrived.

As the cheering grew closer, they could begin to hear a loud voice in its midst.

"Left, Left, Left Right...Left, Left, Left Right..."

Finally, the advancing ranks turned the final corner in the distance, and the soldiers of the Eastern Mora advanced on the square. At the front of the force was the honor guard, four of the largest soldiers carrying two massive standards. One was the symbol of Eros, a full red heart on a pure white background. The second, was a modification of the Inquisitorial symbol. It was a red heart laid over the black scales of judgment; behind it was a round shield, with a mace and sword crossed below, and large capital "I" for Iota. It was the flag of the Eastern Mora.

The men and women of Beta Pentekostys, First Lochos lead the march, having earned the honor by achieving the highest training proficiency marks in the entire mora. They were proud of their accomplishment, and it showed in their stiff backs and determined expressions.

Rank after rank, nearly three thousand Erosian soldiers marched through the streets of Sanctuary Port. One third of them were militia, and would not accompany the mora on the march to the west, but they participated in the ceremony all the same. They had trained hard beside the men and women of the mora for the last two months, and had earned the right to participate in the formal send-off.

It took nearly half an hour to fill the square with the four lochos of Iota Mora, but the gleaming shields, helms, armor, and spear tips had even the most rambunctious of children mesmerized into quiet observance. The final unit in the march was the cavalry of Alpha Pentekostys, Third Lochos, and the control these soldiers had of their mounts was nothing short of spectacular. Each horse rank was perfect, after nearly two months of training the steeds had finally learned to stay in perfect alignment, even at speed.

Leading the cavalry was former High Inquisitor and now Polemarch Nikanor. He broke from the formation and rode slowly to the front of the square, saluting High Priest Gennadios who was standing at the top of the steps to address the massed force.

Wheeling his horse around, the polemarch addressed his troops. "Mora, Parade Rest!"

As one the nearly three thousand soldiers shifted from rigid attention to a slightly more relaxed alertness.

"Welcome, Iota Mora and citizens of Sanctuary Port," announced Gennadios, his voice magically amplified to reach the entire area. "It is my pleasure to officially greet the first Erosian mora in two millennia, and also my sad duty to bid it farewell. You brave men and women will depart from us this day, marching west to join the rest of Erosius' defenders. But do so knowing that our prayers and our hopes go with you.

"You will soon face invaders in our land, kinfolk to those who took Ophelia, our last Champion from us. Know that we are stronger now, and better prepared to meet and defeat this foe than we were twenty winters ago. This is largely due to the efforts of you soldiers, and your tireless dedication to training. By volunteering for this task, you took upon yourselves a great burden. Stand today with pride, knowing that each of you has borne that burden better than any other could."

Many of the soldiers in the ranks stood a little bit taller, and a little bit straighter at this announcement. The High Priest of Eros himself had commended them.

"In addition to that pride, I also ask that you take a message of hope as you march westward, and spread it as far and as wide as you can. Many of you know, but some do not, that Eros has chosen a new Champion. She is on a mission for our god at this very moment, and when she returns she will join you in this fight."

There was a rumble of excitement within the crowd, but while the soldiers felt it as well each one of them maintained their discipline at the announcement.

"Additionally, today you have been assigned your first mission: navigating the Snow Gap Pass through the Abatinus Mountains before the first snow closes it for the winter. In recognition of this first mission, I have authorized your Polemarch to award you a special name. When you reach the other side of the pass you shall be known as the 'Mountain' Mora.

"So I bid you Eros' speed on your journey west, and know that while the cheers of Sanctuary Port may fade behind you, the thoughts, prayers, and hopes of us all shall continue to travel at your side."

A great cheer rose up to echo the closing sentiment of his speech, and as Polemarch Nikanor saluted the High Priest the readying commands of the lochagoes could barely be heard in the din. Turning back to his troops, the polemarch ordered them to move out, and the Iota 'Mountain' Mora began its journey westward.

* * *

The clash of steel on steel echoed across the deck of Laurena's Chariot. Two pairs of swords flashed through the air, moving in a lethal pattern of thrust, parry, riposte, block, feint, strike, and counter-strike. It was a duel the likes of which songs could be sung and legends born, if it had not been fought with training swords.

"You are getting much better," Leontios, remarked after a particularly clever feint and thrust.

"Thank you," David replied, shifting his weight to his back foot and moving his right blade to parry the master-at-arms' counter strike.

"You are most welcome," he responded jovially, smiling as he pressed the advantage. "I have had few students learn as quickly as you have, and you've also taught me a few new things with your own unusual fighting styles."

David just grunted, realizing that Leontios was trying to distract him. This duel was the longest he had ever lasted against the master swordsman, and he could almost taste his first true victory against the man.

Not that his words were untrue. David's training in escrima and sayoc kali were both very different from any fighting form that the Sophia crew had seen before, and even his limited training in them had served him well up till now. However, in his first day training with Leontios he had realized that his novice level skill was no match for a true master. He had since trained frequently with the master-at-arms, and his skill with his twin blades had improved greatly.

As Leontios pressed forward, seeing David off-balance and sensing an advantage, the soldier fought against his desire to smile in triumph. His trap was working. Allowing his balance to shift even further over his back foot, he moved to take a step back and stumbled slightly. It would have been too obvious if the stumble had been any more severe.

Sensing the end of the fight, Leontios pressed forward with a flurry of blows, each one nearly connecting with David's padded training tunic before being parried at the last moment. Finally, seeing his adversary beginning to tire, David realized it was time. He steadied himself instantly, shifting his weight properly and going on the offensive.

It had been a challenging deception, and more than once David was certain that it would fail. A single un-deflected strike in the right place would have sealed victory for Leontios once again; but it had worked, and now the sword master was tired and on the defensive.

The surprise in Leontios' eyes as David pressed forward with a flurry of blows was invigorating to the soldier, and he continued to press the attack. As he saw his opponent's parries and counters come slower and slower, he began a familiar attack routine that he knew Leontios would recognize. Thrust high right, slash low left, feint thrust center, and a rising reverse-slash high from right-to-left was the pattern that David repeated, watching Leontios for signs of the inevitable counter.

There! The tightening in his right shoulder as he deflected the third low slash. Simultaneously the two opponents departed from their set pattern of attack and defense, but only one was prepared for it.

Leontios stepped back and across with his left foot, moving his centerline away from the expected feint and dropping his left sword into a low block to stop the rising reverse-slash that would follow the feint. His right foot and right-hand sword shot forward, lunging to strike at the opening in David's defense that the attack pattern presented.

Unfortunately for him, David's right-hand sword did not come forward in a feint. It came up high, the blade angled downward in a cross-body parry. As his right-hand sword deflected Leontios' exhausted thrust, David's left-hand sword followed, sweeping above the master-at-arms' low block to strike his exposed chest solidly, despite pulling the blow. David's strength was still increasing, and he had made the mistake of striking with too much force once before. But only once. It had taken quite a bit of magic to heal the damage to Leontios' arm after that incident. Leontios still stumbled a few steps though, recovering from his surprise...and from the solid strike.

David stepped back with a wide grin. He had finally done it. He had finally won a fight against Leontios!

The handful of crew watching were too stunned to react, as surprised as Leontios at the sudden end to the fight. However, the sound of a single pair of hands clapping soon shook them all out of it.

"Way to go, David!" Sapphire shouted from her seat on the sidelines of the fight, clapping happily at her love's first win. "It certainly took you long enough."

David laughed at her joke, and more than a few of the spectators joined him, the sounds of their combined mirth drifting across the deck of the ship. Leontios chuckled as well, and tucked one of his swords beneath his arm, freeing a hand to congratulate David on his win.

"That was masterfully done, David," he complimented the soldier, shaking his hand. "I can't believe I fell for it though."

"You were tired," David explained. "That fight lasted far longer than you were prepared for, and your exhaustion caused you to begin looking for a quick, easy victory. I just had to give you the chance you were looking for."

Leontios nodded in understanding, then added, "I'm just surprised you lasted that long. You stayed in that fight far longer than you ever have before."

"That's because I wasn't trying to win," David replied with a smile.

Seeing the surprised look on the sword master's face, he added, "In the beginning of the fight I was not trying to land a blow. I was fighting entirely defensively. I went into the fight with the knowledge that you were faster, more skilled, and more experienced than I was. The only way I could win was to tire you out. Defense is easier than offense, so I marshalled my strength and my energy and waited until you were tired enough, and had slowed enough, that I could match your speed. Only then did I worry about winning."

Leontios considered his words for a few moments, finally accepting them with a smile. "That is an inspired strategy, what made you think of it?"

"It is something from my homeland," David explained. "A great fighter of my people used it in a famous duel many years ago. He called it the 'Rope-a-Dope'."

"Well, wherever you came up with it, it was an excellent idea," Leontios congratulated him. "Just don't expect it to work twice," he warned with a grin.

"Certainly not," David replied with a grin.

"Mind if I jump in here," Athanasios interrupted.

Both David and Leontios looked to him in surprise. The former Keeper had never offered to join them in training before. In fact, he usually stayed on the Sophia. This morning he had asked to spend a few days aboard Laurena's Chariot because in his words he "was tired of listening to Bertha's nagging." The rabbit had remained on the Sophia.

"Not at all," Leontios replied, retrieving his sword from under his arm and swinging both training blades in circles to loosen up his arms again.

"Not you, young man," Athanasios waved off the master-at-arms. "You go catch your breath while I warm up with the wall of meat," he added, pointing at David.

Leontios looked to David for confirmation, and the soldier just shrugged. He nodded to the master-at-arms, motioning for him to take his rest and watch from the sidelines. Leontios moved to Athanasios first, offering up his training blades. Athanasios only took one with a curt "thanks", plopped his helm on his head, and then pulled his large round shield from behind him and strapped it to his arm. Preparations complete, the former Keeper moved forward to engage his opponent.

David would have liked to look back upon their fight as an epic battle between two accomplished fighters. He would have liked to think that after many minutes of intense battle, with the clashing of sword on sword and sword on shield, he was finally bested by an almost exhausted Athanasios with a wild swing that was equal parts skill and luck. He would have really enjoyed it if he could have fought the man to a standstill, and then achieved victory with a cunning blow. But none of those desires were possible.

Five seconds.

That was how long David lasted the first time he faced Athanasios. Five frickin seconds.

As he knelt on the deck, trying to gasp air back into lungs that had been nearly flattened by a lightning-quick strike from Athanasios, David realized that he really had a lot to learn about sword fighting.

"Keep practicing," Athanasios instructed him curtly. Then he returned the borrowed sword to a stunned Leontios and walked back below-deck without another word.

Moving to check on her love, Sapphire crouched next to David and whispered, "What the hell was that?"

"I'm not sure," he gasped, once he could breathe again. "I have a few ideas, but I think we should ask Laurena what she knows before I say anything."

* * *

"He is more than just the Keeper of the Tomb of the Fallen," Laurena explained later that day. David and Sapphire had joined her aboard the Sophia and explained what had happened between Athanasios and David.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 10 milliseconds