Champions Vol. 02

Charis cleared her throat at his lack of decorum, and realizing his outburst Themistokles' face reddened in embarrassment.

"My apologies," he restarted. "I..." and his voice trailed off as he recognized one of the two newcomers at his door.

"Sapphire," he said in surprise.

"Hello Inquisitor," she greeted him coolly.

Frowning, Themistokles motioned for them to enter his room. "Come in please. Thank you, Charis, for bringing them to me."

Nodding at her dismissal, the priestess departed.

Gesturing for the pair to seat themselves in two empty chairs, the Inquisitor pulled a third from the corner of the room to a location nearer them and sat in it. While he moved about the room David closely observed the Inquisitor.

The man was around five feet six inches, and had close cropped blonde hair. He was of average build, and wore jet black robes which were quite different from the normally pure white priestly vestments. David also noticed a mace and shield stacked next to a suit of black leather armor in another corner of the room. A heart, the symbol of Eros, was embossed on the front, but behind the heart was a set of scales.

Once Themistokles took his seat, he gave Sapphire a stern look. "Am I to assume that these deaths mean that you finally found your father's killers?"

"Yes, I finally found them, but they did not die in Exitibus," Sapphire returned his look with equal disdain.

Sighing, the Inquisitor relaxed and leaned back in his chair. Casting a quick spell to sense the truth of their words he bade the Dracian, "Please introduce me to your friend. Then start at the beginning, and tell me what has happened."

Sapphire introduced David, and proceeded to fill the man in on everything that had happened since the last time they had spoken. Listening to the narrative, David realized that Themistokles must have been the Inquisitor sent to capture the murderers of Sapphire's father two winters ago. It certainly explained the hostility between them.

Themistokles listened intently to the story, but realized early on that his spell was useless. Somehow the pair's minds were closed to him. It felt similar to a spell of mental protection, but neither of them was focusing their will to project it. He suspected an enchanted item of some sort. Whatever its origin, it was far more powerful than he could hope to overcome. Unless he found cause to suspect them of some crime it was well within their rights to protect their minds from interference, it merely made their motives suspect. It also made his task of investigating their claims more difficult.

For the most part the Inquisitor refrained from interrupting her story as she described David's and her actions in Wolfsvale, and their trip to Exitibus. However, he could not resist doing so when he learned of the death of Pelagios. "Truly!?" he demanded in shock. "Priest Pelagios lay slain for two months and no one thought to contact me!?"

"Varus and Phoebe claimed that they sent a rider to Sanctuary Port to request aid from the Inquisitorial Command. I assume they did not know where you were, and they were hoping word would reach you through travelers and traders eventually."

Themistokles grumbled defensively at her words, but eventually admitted. "I have been here for a season trying to find a man that escaped me a full winter ago. When I lost his trail in the city I assumed he fled east, but no one had seen him in Exitibus, Wolfsvale, Lexia, or any of the smaller towns in between. I suspected he might have snuck aboard a ship instead, so I returned here four months ago to question the captains that frequent this port. I have yet to find any that know of him."

"And I imagine that you were in such great haste that you failed to tell Pelagios or Phoebe that you were returning to Calavius on your way through Exitibus?" Sapphire inquired snidely.

"They were both absent from the temple when I passed through. I left them a note," he growled defensively.

"Shall I resume my tale?" Sapphire asked with sarcasm.

"Please," the Inquisitor replied, already tired of this meeting.

Sapphire resumed her story, explaining the events of Exitibus in the same manner she had with Philotheos. Themistokles looked at David with some surprise at her description. His actions against the four that attacked him in Wolfsvale were quite a feat, but believable considering his massive size and militant presence. The man had been introduced as a soldier from a distant land, and despite the many winters of martial training that the priest himself had received, Themistokles had no desire to test his skill against the intimidating man. To hear that he also had the magical knowledge and power to defeat twelve armed men who attacked with surprise and the cover of darkness...

This David was a man to be watched very carefully.

Sapphire finished her story by explaining they traveled from Exitibus to here, but left the Calavius Road for a time. She refused to tell him why they did so and/or what occurred, but did tell him that Priest Philotheos was fully aware of what occurred and that those events were in no way related to what happened in Exitibus.

When the Inquisitor tried for the fourth time to steer their conversation back to the events along the road David interrupted and told the man, "I respect that you have a job to do, but what occurred on that road is more important than you, me, her, or any of the bullshit that happened in Exitibus. Talk to Philotheos, and if he thinks you need to know it, he can tell you...after we have set sail in two days."

Themistokles expression soured at the soldier's words, but he knew that pushing the issue would do no good. This was Priest Philotheos' temple, and this city his responsibility. The old priest was in no way required to keep the Inquisitor informed of these people's activities, unless he suspected them of some crime. Inquisitor Themistokles would still follow up with the old priest tonight, but he knew Sapphire well enough to know that she was an honest and law-abiding woman. Her only serious flaw was her desire for vengeance, and that seemed to have been sated in Wolfsvale.

"Charis mentioned that you had some questions about a man that arrived into town here two winters ago?" Themistokles finally changed the subject. "If you can give me a name, a basic description, and any other information you have about him I can likely direct you to some people that can help you."

Sapphire nodded her thanks and described Galen. As she mentioned the scars the Inquisitors expression turned coldly furious.

"That Eros damned bastard," he cursed. "That is the man I have been looking for the past five seasons. He grew out his hair, and went by the name of Ófis, but the scars you described are unique and precise."

Once the Inquisitor calmed down, Sapphire asked him to explain what crimes he was wanted for.

"I do not know if I will ever learn the full extent of his crimes, but from what I was able to determine he set up a complex network of people who were willing to follow his orders and commit crime in an organized manner.

"They began with simple theft, but progressed to intimidation and extortion. They would threaten to destroy shops and sink ships if the owners did not pay for their 'protection'," he explained. "They also began robbing sailors that visited the port. One sailor fought back and died in the struggle, which was when I was called in to investigate. Two days after I arrived I found one of the men in his network, but before I could begin to arrest the remaining men all ten died suddenly. I could not determine how they were killed, although I suspect poison. Ófis' residence was empty when I went to it, and his body was never found. Worse, the single surviving member of the group -- whom was in my custody -- died in his sleep that night, before I could question him further. I am certain that this Ófis...sorry, Galen, is responsible. But I have no idea how he killed the man, or where he fled to."

"The events you described detail a very organized criminal network, just as the attack on us in Exitibus was well organized," David observed. "How common is crime in Erosius, that the two are just a coincidence?"

Sapphire looked at him, grimacing angrily that they had been so close to her target and did not know it.

"This is no coincidence," Inquisitor Themistokles answered with equal outrage.

* * *

Lykos entered the small apartment that he rented above the tailor shop. It was far less opulent than what he felt he deserved, but his profits as the new Shadowmaster Whisper were just starting to flow in, and he needed to find a way to explain them as legitimate earnings before he could use them to purchase a home in the city that was more in line with his new position. As far as his neighbors were concerned he was a journeyman cooper, and still had several winters before he could start his own business.

Contemplating ways to launder his ill-gotten gains, Lykos failed to notice that his apartment was not as empty as it should be.

"I have spoken with the Night Lord," the voice of the Shadow Lord emanated from the darkness inside the unlit room.

Turning to face the direction that the voice came from, Lykos witnessed sparks flare in the darkness, igniting the wick of an oil lamp. The small flame illuminated the hooded and cloaked figure of the Shadow Lord.

"What was his answer?" Lykos asked nervously.

"He approves of your initiative, and commands that you select three of your people to undergo testing by a sorcerer of his choosing," was the reply.

Sighing in relief, Lykos began considering which of his three rivals he would send. There were two that he had already decided to choose, but the third would be more difficult. Perhaps he would simply send someone at random.

"And, Lykos," the Shadow Lord added as he walked to the door, "do not expect to ever see these three again...so choose carefully."

Lykos refrained from grinning in pleasure until his superior left. This might have been his best idea yet.

*** Chapter 9: Labyrinthine Plans ***

191900APR13 DW

Calavius, Erosius

Laurena was excited, and a little nervous, about her first public appearance as Eros' Champion. She had joined Philotheos, Charis, and Onesiphoros (the other Junior Priest in Calavius) in welcoming the faithful and handing out ceremonial robes to those who were attending the worship service that evening. Using the greater magical power granted her as a Champion she was reading the attendees' auras alongside the others.

Priest Philotheos was the ultimate decision-maker regarding the matches and/or groupings, yet now that she was able to read auras with greater detail than ever before Laurena was confused by some of his decisions. He occasionally paired couples who only had a mild interest in one another, rather than with others whom they had more powerful feelings. He also added third, and sometimes more, members to paired but unmarried partners whom seemed like they would be perfectly happy alone with just their counterpart. As she expected, many of the men, and a number of the women, would have been happy to join her for services. However, Philotheos only matched her with three others, two men and a woman, whom he introduced to her as they arrived.

The first man he chose was Hermes, a middle-aged widower that owned the largest shipping and trade business in Calavius. His aura read a distinct interest in Laurena, but also a strong interest in the woman that was matched with them, Helene. However, his aura also read a measure of concern towards Helene.

Helene arrived at the same time as Hermes, and was a few winters older than Laurena, perhaps mid-twenties. She was the daughter of a trading partner and friend of Hermes. She harbored a powerful attraction towards the older man, which she seemed unconcerned with disguising. Her wide smile of mixed happiness and excitement at being included with him was visible to everyone.

The final member was the stable hand Laurena had met earlier in the day. Paramonos was a young man, barely eighteen winters old. He had worked in the temple stables with his father all his life, and was very polite but shy. He had trouble meeting Laurena's eyes, and could not seem to look directly at Charis. He was only an inch taller than the Champion, handsome in an unassuming way, and his body was certainly fit from his work with the horses. What surprised Laurena was the powerful desire he held buried beneath his quiet exterior. His heart was a raging inferno of desire for Charis, so much so that he barely noticed Laurena. For her part Charis smiled politely when she greeted him, but did nothing to acknowledge that she was aware of the young man's feelings for her. Upon hearing Philotheos announce that he would be joining Laurena's group he smiled politely, but the Champion could sense the disappointment in his aura. This was a first for her, as she had never imagined that any heterosexual male would be disappointed to receive a Blessing from her.

Once the majority of the attendees had been greeted and matched up Philotheos turned over the duty to Onesiphoros, and then asked Laurena to accompany him inside. He could tell many of his matches had confused the young woman and wished to ease her mind before the service.

"I can tell you have some questions for me, Champion," he stated, once they had walked far enough away from prying ears.

"I do not wish to imply that your choices were erroneous Priest Philotheos," Laurena began respectfully, recognizing his use of her formal title and replying in the same. "I just have trouble understanding the reasoning behind some of them."

Nodding as though this was what he expected, Philotheos chose his words carefully before he explained his decisions to the inexperienced young Champion.

"Passion and desire are good things, and love can often bloom from these feelings," Philotheos explained. "However, to achieve a truly good match, one that provides love and comfort for all involved, sometimes passion is not enough.

"The three faithful that join you this evening are an example of this. As I am certain you noticed, Helene feels a strong attraction towards Hermes, who is nearly as old as her father. Meanwhile, though Hermes is certainly attracted to her, he also misses his late wife, and worries about a number of things related to his feelings for the younger woman.

"He fears her father's reaction were he to court her. They have been friends since before Helene was born, and are also trading partners. A conflict between them would not only cost him his oldest and dearest friend, but could also irreparably damage both their businesses. He also fears losing another wife in child-birth. He lost his own many winters ago, and has avoided any manner of commitment since then, despite a multitude of women that sought to catch his eye. Finally, he fears for how both this community and those he does business with would regard his pursuit of a woman so much younger than himself. So he ignores his desire for her, and her own feelings for him.

"For her part, Helene is somewhat worried that Hermes does not feel as deeply for her as she does for him, and she also fears the reaction of her parents should she try to pursue him more openly," Philotheos continued to illustrate the complex problem.

"I firmly believe that the two of them could be wonderfully happy together for the rest of their lives, if only they could overcome their fears and stand together. I have spent nearly a season since I realized the nature of their problems trying to determine a solution. I have decided to put it into your capable hands. From everything I have heard from Charis, Aurelia, and my old friend Gennadios, you are the most skilled acolyte at rendering the Blessings of Eros to ever walk the halls of the Great Temple. You must use your skills to help those two overcome their fears and start their lives together."

Considering his words, Laurena began to reflect upon the auras she had seen, and wondered how many of Philotheos decisions were based on more than just what he learned from reading them. Almost as an afterthought she asked, "What about Paramonos?"

"His is one of the most special cases that I have ever encountered since becoming a priest," Philotheos said with a note of concern in his voice. "Growing up he showed no interest in either men or women. He was always polite, if a bit shy, and preferred to spend his time with our horses rather than socialize with others his age. That changed two winters ago when Charis arrived. From the first moment he met her his passions have not strayed. He attended every children's service she led until he came of age.

"On his eighteenth birthday he approached Onesiphoros, and has worked with him to learn as much as he can about pleasing a woman. He has attended every worship service that Charis was present at, and although I have never matched him with her, he has never treated a woman he was paired with poorly. In fact, he has a number of admirers that were more than pleased with his efforts, and would be quite happy if they could secure his attention," he noted with a chuckle. "Unfortunately for them, his feelings for Charis have never wavered."

"So why do you not just match him with Charis?" Laurena inquired. "Let him have what he so desires at least once, so that perhaps he can move on to another."

Philotheos gave her an inquiring and speculative look in reply. "You assume that his desire for her is something that he might 'get over'. What if it instead grew stronger? You also ignore the possibility that Charis might develop the same feelings for him, and that they would begin a relationship together."

Laurena fought to keep from laughing at the absurd notion. Charis fall in love with the stable boy? Charis fall in love? She was the one acolyte in their class that everyone 'knew' was destined to spend her entire life in service to Eros.

"I know that you were in the academy with Charis, what do you know of her history?" Philotheos asked, steering the conversation in a different direction.

"I know nearly as much about her as I do any other acolyte, perhaps a bit less in her case. We all rarely talked of our lives before entering the academy," Laurena replied. "I barely remember my own parents' names, and can no longer recall their faces."

"Yes, I am not surprised," Philotheos stated. "They have always started the training so young," he added with a sigh.

"In Charis' case she never even knew her parents. She was discovered by a traveler on the road between Sanctuary Port and Hiefesgaden when she was a toddler. She was brought to the Great Temple, and priests and priestesses there searched for anyone that knew of her or her parentage in all of the towns along that road, but no such person was found. She was enrolled in the orphanage at the Great Temple, and she asked to join the academy once she was old enough. As I am sure you are aware, this is not uncommon, and many of the acolytes who have walked those halls began their lives in one orphanage or another.

"After she came to me I noticed that she never developed powerful feelings for any of the men or women that she Blessed. It is common for young priests and priestesses to become infatuated with certain faithful, and this is why many never last more than a few winters before leaving the clergy to have families. Those that choose to remain learn to deal with these feelings, and it allows them to better understand and guide the faithful. Charis however, has never done so. She loves all of the faithful equally, but none of them with greater passion than any other."

Laurena was not that surprised with this revelation. Charis had been skillful at Blessings, but she never seemed to demonstrate any great passion for them. Those that lay with her during the Blessings at the Great Temple were more often seeking comfort than passion, and Charis' nature seemed to meet this need better than any other.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 10 milliseconds