Claiming an Ally Ch. 07

The music was lively. Edrich noted that there were subtle differences between the music of Adalynd and Lidio, but Arnold had done a commendable job in assuring both were equally and beautifully represented. The dishes served, also varied slightly by nation, but equally served as the undercurrent of the new fusion the chef had created. The colors of the hall were brilliant. Edrich stopped and noticed how both countries' colors actually went well together. Adalynd's light blue and rich gold were accentuated in equal portion by his own deep crimson and black. An equal pairing of two colors could be easily done, he thought. He felt some of the weight of compromise and upheaval sweep off his shoulders, lightening the burden of the union.

The time came for the princess to make her entry. Edrich stood next to Arnold at the foot of the stairs where Emera was set to descend to, and the royal herald waited at the top to commence the announcement formally. Trumpets sounded and all faces turned toward the staircase.

"Announcing her royal highness, the Princess of Adalynd and betrothed of King Edrich Mather of Lidio, Princess Emera Lein Calwren!" The trumpets blew again and the red velvet drapes that hung at the entrance to the stairs drew back. All watched to see the glorious entrance of the future queen. But the crowd gasped upon the startling sight.

Edrich, fear-gripped, dashed up the stairs to kneel next to the figure. Glenna, blindfolded, beaten and bloodied, sat tied to a chair, a note pinned to her chest. The woman sat unconscious and unable to detail the events leading to her current state.

Upon spying the letter, Edrich tore it from her bodice.

My dear King, You will no doubt by now realize your sweet princess is otherwise engaged at this time and unable to celebrate a future no longer possible. If you would like to ensure she lives, you may join us, ALONE, at the clearing in Dennenbrock not an hour's ride from where you stand. And so you carry no delusions about this evenings' outcome, know that only one will be allowed to live after tonight. Either you or your precious princess,

Yours, humbly,

Jenner

He shook as his vision darkened and went black. When piercing light returned, he looked about him, the bloodied woman in the chair, the guards leaning over her, the king, crown slipping, shaking his shoulder, mouth moving slowly but no sounds, no sound, no sound. Only the piercing through his ears, only the sharp edge of pitch stabbing through his head.

"Edrich! Edrich!" Arnold's voice came rapidly, sound returning to the deafening silence. "Edrich! What is this? What is the meaning?" Edrich's mind quickly snapped into place. He stared down at the letter again. Somehow, the bastard had slipped into the castle and stolen Emera. He stood and marched down the stairs. Quickly scanning the crowd, he saw Robert making his way to the doors first.

"Arnold, I am sorry to tell you, but Emera has been kidnapped by Jenner, the seditionist who tried to convince you to attack me and convinced me that Emera was a spy. He holds her at Dennenbrock. Where exactly is that? I will need a guide." The crowd parted as he had made his way to the castle's entrance and waited for Robert to bring his horse.

"I do not believe this! My daughter, you must bring my daughter back, Edrich."

"Of course, your Majesty. A guide?"

"Oh, yes, yes, of course." Arnold motioned for the captain-of-the-guards. "Please, escort King Edrich to Dennenbrock. Follow his command. Assist him in any way possible to bring back my daughter, Captain." The stoic man bowed, signifying he would act as bidden.

"Do not fear Arnold, I will die before I allow this sick devil to harm her. I will return with her," and then bounded down the stairs to the horse Robert led along. The Captain followed suit, a horse brought quickly to him. A young sentry approached when the captain motioned him forward. He handed each a sword and gave the captain a bow and quiver. The three bolted from the courtyard, the flying horses' hooves thundering against the cobblestones.

The darkness Emera had been shrouded in the past few hours was drawn away as Philip, the fat man who aided Jenner, lifted the hood off her head. She blinked, taking in the lit torches blazing in a semicircle around the smallish clearing. The night sky over the forest was that deep blue turning to black. She looked up; her hands were chained to the wall of rugged stone. She knew instantly she was in Dennenbrock. An old ruin of a society before her people, it once served as a sacrifice site. Generally, as there was no village nearby, it remained forgotten in the woods.

Emera began to shiver, the fear of being helpless before the vile man creeping into her bones. She was alone, and she wondered if anyone knew she had been taken and by whom and where and when...she breathed, trying to quell the panic that was rising in her blood. If she had any chance of survival, she needed to remain calm and keep her wits. Controlling her raging fear was easier said than done, and she watched the figure in the center of the circle, whimpering and struggling against her chains.

Jenner stood, watching her terror take over her mind. He smiled cruelly. If all went well, not only would he depose Edrich and ascend the throne, he would keep this new toy. His smile was cruel, quite satisfied his plan had thus far proved well. Stealing into the castle had been simple enough, sneaking the princess out presented the challenge. Thus the cleverly designed note, forged in Edrich's hand, requesting her presence in the forest just beyond the castle garden.

The princess came, just like a bitch in heat, just like he knew she would. He stood with his back to her, his cloak drawn over his head. "Edrich?" she asked, curious at his furtive behavior. Jenner, standing just a few yards in the woods, turned when she stood only a few feet behind him. Removing the cloak from his head, he turned to leer down at her. Her face, wide in shock, went limp as Philip stepped behind her, hitting her over the head with the butt of his sword. Unfortunately, as he gathered her on his lap atop his horse, he heard a gasp. Turning to the opening in the tall hedge of the garden, a scant five yards away, Glenna stood, hand over mouth.

"My lady!" she yelled.

"After her!" Philip, on his own horse, bolted forward, quickly catching up to the older woman. Before long, he was standing behind her, holding her arms tightly. They dragged her into the woods as well. "Deal with her." And then after considering, he altered his plan. He commanded Philip to leave her tattered, a visceral omen to Edrich as to what would befall his princess. He knew it was risky, but instructed Philip to remain behind another hour until the announcement, pinning the note to the battered woman. He knew the melodrama would serve to enrage the king, hopefully hindering his thinking.

Philip had succeeded in following the orders with no difficulty. Long before the unveiling he was on his way back to Dennenbrock.

Jenner stalked closer to the quivering girl who bravely stared him down with disdain, despite her obvious fear. He chuckled, looking over her regal form. He slanted his eyes cruelly at her as he drew his knife. Emera eyed him warily, tightening her body rigidly against the stone.

"Oh, come now, little princess, surely you are not afraid of this steel, are you?"

"If I said yes, would you put it away?" she snarked. He backhanded her across her insolent mouth.

"Doubtful," he hissed. "Now, is this any way to greet your fiancé? Let us see if we can make your appearance more appropriate." Taking his knife, he began slicing at her dress, the shreds falling away, leaving her in her thin chemise and tight corset. He felt himself aroused at her sensual sight. He traced his fingers across the top of the laced corset, watching her repulsed reaction as they grazed the top flesh of her breasts. She turned her head and squeezed her eyes as he ran the blade of his knife down over the laces of the corset, cutting them one after the other. The material fell away.

Edrich, please, please, please... she repeated desperately over and over in her mind.

"I think this," he leered as his hand ran slowly down her side, feeling her curves under the thin slip of material left, "is far more appropriate. Do you not?"

"No, as a matter of fact, I do not. I would only find it acceptable once it is soaked in your blood." She turned her dazzling, hate-filled eyes at him. For her bravery, she received a crushing hand wrapped round her throat.

"You will learn in time, my pet, you are not to speak to me as you see fit." His face was inches from hers. Having no freedom of hands, she spat in his face and then kneed him in the groin. He grunted and leaned for forward, but recovered enough to punch her squarely in the face, causing her head to reverberate backwards and knock into the rock. She fell limp, hanging from her hands.

Jenner stood, the stinging ache lessening. He reached out, grabbing her by the jaw. He looked over her face, nose bleeding, and cheek red from his smacking. Soon he would train her to respond with pleasure at his beatings. Soon, all his scheming would come to fruition.

"Jenner," his name was growled from the edge of the trees. "Release her."

"Edrich, Edrich, you were foolish enough to come. And here I thought you might sacrifice your little miss in order to completely vanquish me with your many men. I trust then, you came alone?" he asked over his shoulder, his hand still around Emera's throat.

"I used a man to guide me here, but left him at the road."

Jenner huffed. "How very stupid of you." His knife was soon at her throat. "As I wrote you in the note, by coming here, you are agreeing to give your life for hers. So, put down your sword."

Edrich, unhappy to comply, did as he was told. Until he could release her and see her safely out of harm's way, he could not show his hand. He threw his sword on the ground. He watched menacingly as the fat man approached and retrieved it, taking it to Jenner. "Now, release her."

"My king, you do have a funny sense of humor. Release her? Whatever for?"

"Because that was the agreement," he ground out, thankful he had not trusted Jenner's conditions.

"Yes, well, I said I would spare her life if you gave up yours, I do not think I said I would release her, that would be wasteful of me. Why would I give up such a succulent little pleasure, now that I have her at my finger tips? Can you imagine all the glorious pain she will feel as I take her over and over and over? How long do you think she will last? A year? Maybe two? No, I do not think I will be letting her go."

The injured sight of her was enough for him to vanquish the man from the world, but the tortured images he conjured enraged Edrich almost beyond his control. Calm, calm, calm he soothed himself, knowing Jenner sought to provoke him into making a mistake. Control your temper, if you are to save her. "Even if you kill me, you will not be king. My people will never accept you, and if you hurt Emera, the entire Adalynd nation will rise up to overthrow you. You will be hunted for the remainder of you short life."

"Oh, how little you know, your Majesty. As it just so happens, all those men you thought I was arresting in the borderlands, I simply...relocated until such time as I could use an army. Once I unleash them, they will devour this spoiled, lax state like an evil plague. There will be no spirit left to fight with. And as for your own people, I have thought of a solution to that as well. Fortunately, I have it right here in my pocket. Here," he said, pulling out a scroll. Stowing his knife, he began reading aloud, amusement filling his voice.

"I, King Edrich Mather, 22nd ruler of Lidio, do by here renounce my crown and throne over the nation of Lidio and its subjugated provinces. I relinquish any and all rights to governance as well as claims over royal holdings, treasuries, and payments. I sign freely, under no coercion.

"Quite nice, do you not think? Believe you me, with my little private squad of mercenaries, this beautifully signed document (which you are about to do), and that lovely signet ring I am about to pry off your dead finger, I shall have no trouble positioning myself on your throne. And once I have that power, to hell with what others may try to do to usurp it." He smiled. "Now, time to sign away, my liege. The longer you delay the more little marks I shall have to adorn your beautiful princess' skin with."

As he stepped further away from Emera and approached the king, the captain, whose name he learned was Remy, stepped quietly from the trees at the side of the monstrous rock, securing himself between the princess and the two traitors.

Spotting movement to his side, Philip spied Remy and shouted, "My lord! Behind you!"

Jenner, realizing his position was compromised, dropped the letter and grabbed his sword. He lunged at Edrich who blocked the driving blade with his forearms. Normally, he would be dressed in his leather cuffs, effectively protecting himself. Unfortunately, dressed in his formal garb, he had little protection in the sleeves. Though the blade sliced him, the cut wasn't mortal. He drew a concealed knife from his back, arming himself. The blood running down his hands made holding it slippery, but his training kept it steady in his hand.

Philip lounged for Remy, but was struck by an arrow before he reached him. Robert shot another from his hidden position on a branch twenty paces in from the tree line. Philip dropped to his knees, and watched in strangled terror as Remy took two steps forward and ran him through with his sword.

Jenner, seeing he was alone and outmatched by the younger Edrich and his hidden company, turned and ran for his horse at the edge of the clearing. Edrich stopped him the only way he could. He flipped the blade round in his hand and threw it with deadly precision at his back. The steel lodged itself between two ribs, puncturing a lung. In agony, Jenner fell to the ground and rolled to his back, digging the knife in further. He was choking on the blood pouring into his once air-filled lungs. His breath was strangled, and he squirmed in anguish. He watched, horror-stricken, as the enflamed king advanced toward him with deadly deliberation.

He weakly gripped his sword, mindlessly aiming to flail it, but Edrich stepped on his wrist, causing him to lose his grasp. Edrich bent over and picked up the sword. From behind, Robert and Remy approached, watching their king mete out justice. Too bad he can only die once, Robert thought.

"For your crimes against the crown, for your barbarism and torture of a royal, for deceiving your king and attempting to send your nation to war, you, Jenner, shall die." Edrich's voice, gripped in hatred for the snake, condemned him to hell. In one swift, decisive move, he plunged the large blade through his black heart until he felt it stick in the ground beneath him.

Edrich stood panting over his lifeless body, resting his weight on the sword. Remembering Emera, he began searching the pockets for the keys to her chains. Feeling the small cold metal, he seized it out and rushed to her still lifeless form. Releasing her, she fell into his waiting arms. He cradled her in his arms, calling to her softly.

Slowly, she started squeezing her eyes, wincing in pain. Her eyes edged open, but she flinched automatically, struggling to free herself from the captive arms about her. Edrich comforted her, avoiding the red marks on her face. His gut clenched in fiery pain. How he wished he hadn't killed the beast so he could torture him slowly for years. He stifled his anger and held her closer, whispering comforting words to her.

She reached up to Edrich's collar, pulling herself into him. She began sobbing at the pain and fear gripping her. He held her tighter, rocking her back and forth. "Emera," he soothed, "Em, love, you are safe now. He is dead. It is over. Please," he whispered. He knew her tears had a right to pour, but her agony was his, and he wished it to end. He held her until she had emptied herself of her terror.

In the course of time, Emera's tears stopped, and she was able to allow Edrich to attend to her wounds. He dabbed at the blood trickling from her nose. The gentle ministrations were comforting. She smiled softly, thankful he was her strength and assurance. He stood and lifted her into his arms.

He turned the men. "Burn them," he commanded. He lifted Emera to his horse and mounted behind her. He felt her body sag into him, conforming herself to fit in his embrace. They wove back through the dark forest making for the road that would lead them to the castle. He questioned her about what had transpired. He was careful not to cause her too much stress, though he noted her spirit seemed to be reviving, the fight and strength returning to her abused form. She let out a sigh, and fully regained her composure, putting the incident behind her.

Emera was safe tucked inside Edrich's arms. She rested her head back against his shoulder, feeling the cool breeze of the night sweep delicately over her warm face. Before long, she had fallen asleep in his arms. He nudged the horse forward into a smooth gallop, eager to get her home.

She awoke in the morning, her head throbbing. Belinda was immediately at her side. "Easy, my lady. Your head has taken quite a beating. How do you feel?" she asked as she helped Emera sit and lean back against the pillows of her bed.

"My head hurts."

"Here, this tea should stop the pain. Your cheek is a little red, and your nose swollen, but your face should be lovely again by tomorrow. I will leave you for a moment, my lady, as King Edrich asked me to tell him the moment you awoke this morning." The old lady scuttled from the room. Emera concentrated on the drink warming her hands. It wasn't as objectionable as the soup she had made for Edrich, but it wasn't tasty either. She downed the golden liquid, eager to be rid of it. She leaned back and closed her eyes, breathing deeply, feeling the air fill her head, easing the pain.

After a few minutes, a tingling sensation filled her and her eyes flew open. Someone was watching her. Edrich stood to the side, near the doors, quietly taking her in. When their eyes met, he smiled softly and approached. He sat on the edge of the bed. "You are well?" he asked, running his hand over her brow, brushing a few wayward strands from her face.

She smiled in return for the sweet gesture. "Yes, I am alive, thanks to you," she murmured softly, taking the hand and pressing it to her warm lips. She then felt him flinch at the touch of his forearms. "What is the matter? What are these bandages?" she asked upon her exploration of his arms. He explained how he received them during the short fight. "How did you know where I was?"

Edrich became somewhat uncomfortable at the topic, not wanting to cause her distress from learning about Glenna. "Jenner left a letter. You told me a messenger brought you a note, claiming it was from me, but you met Jenner there instead. Did Glenna accompany you?"

She frowned, thinking. "Glenna? No, she wasn't there, why?" When he hedged in answering, she became more concerned. "Why? Where is Glenna? Why do you ask about her?"

"Last night, at the party, when you were announced, it was Glenna at the top of the stairs, not you. She was..." he clenched his jaw, and mindlessly began stroking her hand, "tied in a chair. She had been abused, I am afraid. Jenner left your ransom note attached to her. I am sorry love."

Her face constricted in anguish, tears began clouding her eyes. "How is she?"

"She is alive, but has not yet awoken."

"I have been treating her, my lady, with the best herbs for her injuries. She will recover, but slowly," Belinda interjected from the side.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 67 milliseconds