Claiming an Ally Ch. 07

"I wish to see her," she said firmly. But as she stood, the room began spinning and she swayed on her feet.

Catching her, Edrich gruffly said, "That is out of the question. You will remain in bed for the day. You yourself are recovering and are in no condition to scamper about the castle." He laid her back in the bed.

"What? Edrich, you cannot expect me to remain in bed, all day!"

"I can and I do. I am thankful to any service Glenna rendered you, but you are my number one concern, and I will not allow you to further make yourself sick. No, you will remain in bed. I will tie you to it if I must. The healer will look after her well."

"You are being ridiculous. I am not going to go scampering about the castle. I simply want to look in on her, and then I will come straight back to bed."

"You may see her in the morning, provided you are better. Do not forget, tomorrow we wed. But if you continue to act obstinate and do not recover because you are unwise, we will have to put that off. Is that what you want?"

"Of course not. Only, I do not see how being out of bed for only ten minutes would harm anything," she pouted.

"You only just stood and nearly passed out. I had to catch you, and you think you can go walking about the castle, for ten minutes?"

She ground her teeth. The officious man had a point. "Very well. But first thing in the morning. And Belinda, I want you to keep me informed of her progress, and let me know when she awakens."

"Yes, your Majesty." She bowed and left the two alone.

Emera sat propped against the pillows, slightly perturbed at the man standing, looking down upon her. Eventually, Edrich sighed and sat back down. He leaned in and kissed her gently on her forehead. "I cannot relay to you the indescribable fear at reading the letter. To know you were in the hands of that...Once I saw you, I knew you were alive. I knew you would be safe. Foolishly, Jenner was outnumbered. I still do not understand why he didn't have more men," he said, almost to himself. "Well, at any rate, I am the most thankful man that you were not harmed more...you weren't, were you?" he asked slowly, finally looking up in a questioning, side-ways glance.

She furrowed her brow. "How do you mean? He nearly crushed my skull. But no, he didn't strike me more than twice. He did take his knife out, but he only used that to strip me of...oh," she said slowly, knowingly. "I see your meaning." She breathed a sigh. "No, he didn't harm me, not in that way. I think he would have, had you not rescued me. But as it was, I think he cut away my clothes to present a more enraging picture, to throw you off your game, so to speak."

A knock at the door interrupted their conversation. Arnold entered, concern and then relief washing over his face. He walked into the room and stared at his daughter before rushing to her side. "Oh, Emera dear, how are you?"

"I am well, father. Only a headache, and Belinda has already seen to that, so I shall recover soon enough." She smiled at him reassuringly. He patted her gently on the cheek, and she tried not to wince at the pain.

"Edrich tells me this man Jenner is dead and should no longer be a threat."

"Well, your Majesty, while he is dead, we still need to locate the outlaws he stashed as opposed to imprisoning. Unfortunately, the only other man that I am sure would have known the location is dead as well. Your captain-of-the-guards seems a very reliable man. I would like the use of him, if I may."

"Yes, of course, Edrich. Do as you see fit. After all, soon, I will no longer be king, but you."

"Father, whatever do you mean?" Emera asked, puzzled by his statement.

"Well, when you and Edrich marry, you plan on uniting the kingdoms, do you not? Well, Edrich is already king of one, and as you stand to inherit the throne of the other, does it not follow that the rulers of the new state will be the two of you, and not me?"

"Oh, father, I had not thought of that. That is true. Well, we either wait until such time as I would ascend the throne of Adalynd and then unite them, or do as you say now. It is something to think upon," she said in thought, biting her lip.

"Well, I do not think it is something to decide upon immediately. Especially as we are not prepared to unite them presently." Edrich interjected.

"True, true. Well, I am happy you are safe, and that you have such a man who could save you." He smiled at her and kissed her lightly on the top of the head. He left the two in solitude.

Edrich settled back next to Emera, claiming his side of the bed. He put his arm around her, allowing her to draw up comfortably next to him. Before long, the medicine Belinda had given her for the ache in her head lulled her to sleep.

The two spent the day quietly. Edrich waited upon her so as to leave Belinda free to care for Glenna. Before lunch, the healer returned word that Glenna had woken. While changing the bandages on Edrich's wrists, she relayed the news about the maid. She had asked about her princess. Reassured that all was well, the faithful maid was resting peacefully. Though she was in a considerable amount of pain, Belinda was certain she would heal well.

Emera was much relieved and able to convalesce for the remainder of the day in Edrich's pleasant company. She mainly slept while he read her father's history books, learning all he could about the lands he was shortly to join with. They talked during their meals about plans and hopes. Edrich shared stories of Lidio, of his explorations there as a youth, and even a few battle stories.

Emera confided how she had always been happy to take on the responsibility of a leader, organizing the play of her and her friends when they were young. When she was older, and her use of the bow a bona fide legend, she orchestrated the hunts that opened the season for the new game. All in all, it was a satisfying day, though Edrich was confined and Emera in a small amount of pain.

The next day, Emera awoke free of pain, with the exception of a slightly sore nose. There was a bruise across the bridge, but her young maid had talent with cosmetics and was able to hide it effectively. Due to the rushed nature of the engagement and the now painful interruptions that demanded time for healing, the wedding was planned for the evening, with the merriment following into the dark hours of the morning.

Edrich accompanied Emera to Glenna's small room. The lady's eyes were swollen shut, but she was still able to weep at the sound of her mistress' voice. "I am so thankful you are safe, my lady. I was certain that man would be the death of you."

"Hush, now Glenna. I am well. I am so sorry you received such brutal treatment. You have been a faithful servant and you do not deserve this," her voice broke slightly.

"I am only sorry that I will not be able to attend your wedding." That caused Emera to weep a little more loudly. She primarily felt relief the woman would be well again, but felt the pain at seeing her thus. Now, knowing she would not join in her special day added to the emotion of the room and Edrich left, waiting quietly in the hall. Emera emerged five minutes later, hugging him tightly around the waist.

Though the sadness lingered, Emera slowly became more and more enthused at the approaching ceremony. Before the midday meal, the two parted ways. Edrich went hunting with Remy, who showed him the best hunting grounds near the castle, before returning to bathe and dress for the wedding. When Emera had learned he was to hunt without her, she offered to show him herself. Edrich, still concerned she wasn't fully healed wouldn't allow it. He was also afraid they would find themselves precariously stripped of their clothing and would be late for the big event. She was, therefore, left to receive appropriate pampering at the castle. As she lay in the hot bath, one of her maids gently scrubbing her hair, she had to admit it was quite a pleasant alternative.

The only unpleasant moments of the afternoon were in the form of her chaperone dryly discussing with her the expectations of a new wife. The art of love making was not easy, she had said, but given time and appropriate still and calm, the man would not make it too unpleasant. Dear lord, woman, Emera thought someone has greatly lied to you. She was suddenly overcome with a new pity and felt as though she had been unkind to a woman who apparently had never experienced pleasure in her life.

After many long minutes of preparation and waiting, Emera found herself on one side of large double doors that lead into the long chapel. Edrich waited for her at the far end. She only had to pass before a thousand eyes before she reached him. Her father, at her side, squeezed her arm gently, reassuring her that he would be with her the entire time.

She looked down at the crimson flowers in her hands. They were of Edrich's colors, she realized. She smiled faintly, comforted by his presence, even through his colors. She took a deep breath as the trumpets called on the other side. Slowly, the doors opened and an entire congregation stood. Emera marched slowly forward, the short train of her dress pulling languidly behind her.

Edrich smiled anxiously. She was beautiful. Her hair was braided back away from her face and lace through her simple crown; though he spotted the few wayward strands. Her cheeks were pink, no doubt from her own flush. Her dress, though modest, still clung to her perfect form. The outer layer of the dress was white, but underneath laid the deepest blue, peeking out between folds. It was the color of her enchanting eyes. The color of power and grace.

The ceremony was perfunctory, just like the king and princess. Before long, all the guests had traveled to the great hall. The party was much like the previous one, only it lasted longer and was much more joyous. The various families of the two countries had grown closer and great camaraderie abounded through the music and feasting.

The couple first danced with each other, and then led the feast. While Emera laughed with the gray general of Lidio, she spied Edrich's eye from across the room. He was speaking with a small group of men from Adalynd. They were eager to pepper him with questions, and he smiled graciously at them all. But at the sight of his bride, full of mirth and love, he had quite enough of the party. He excused himself from the men and slowly made his way through the crowd.

Placing a hand upon the low of her back, he apologized to his general and led her away. During a swell in the dancing, the two snuck through a hallway and ascended a quiet set of stairs away from the party. They made their way to her suite of rooms. The bedchamber already lit with candles, was warm from the thousand flickers.

Edrich, surprisingly, found himself nervous. The extreme elation from knowing he would have her all the days of his life, her beauty, her voice, the way she smelled, and all the new ways she made him think, was overwhelming and he stood frozen in the moment. He watched as she walked to the fire. Her back was to him as she reached behind her waist and slowly untied the ribbon there. Slowly, she unthreaded it until it was free to slip from her shoulders. She stepped out of it, and threw it on a chair. He could see her form, molded as it was by her corset, which she slowly began to remove as well. Before long, she stood naked before him, head turned to the side as she looked at the floor.

Compelled by her beauty, he walked to her, gliding his fingers over the skin of her shoulders, and back, then trailed back up her sides. Emera closed her eyes and tilted her head back. She fell into his body and was engulfed by his strong arms. His lips found her exposed neck and he quickly set about to make a feast of her.

On the soft fur before the hearth, Emera gazed at the sensuous dance of the flames. She felt Edrich's hands run lovingly over her flesh, warming her in a way the fire's flames never could. Their lovemaking had been slow and sweet, allowing her time to luxuriate in the heavenly feel of his hard body and smooth skin. His kisses had been erotic and deliberate, never losing control. Building her climax over and over, she lied in his arms in exhausted bliss.

He smiled warmly down at her. "And how are you, my love?"

"Alive, my lord."

He smiled at her use of words, recalling the first time he had brought her to the heights of lovemaking. He chuckled, "More alive than you have ever been?"

She gave no pause but answered instantly. "Yes, always in your arms, yes." He kissed her happily at that. "I have a gift for you," he whispered.

She smiled brilliantly. "And I have a gift for you. But first, you may go."

He walked to a dresser and pulled a box from the top drawer. She smiled as she opened it; then her face melted into gentle awe. "Edrich, it is beautiful!" she gasped. She took out the stunning sapphire ring set in the shiny gold. It fit her finger perfectly. She kissed him eagerly. "Thank you!"

He smiled, happy she liked it. "That isn't all."

"No? What else do you hide in my drawers," she asked mischievously.

"Nothing. It is the ring." He took her fingers in his hand so he could look at it as he spoke. "I chose it because it is my favorite color."

"Truly? It is lovely," she said looking at it.

"But I love the color, because it is the color of your eyes," he said seriously. She looked at him as he continued. "The other day, when I took you in the linen closet, you had interrupted our discussion of state affairs. Your general had asked what our new nation's color would be. Of course, I thought we should simply combine two of our preexisting colors to make the union seem equal. But, the more I thought of it, the more I wanted what we were creating to be just that, something new we made. There is no other color I would want to adorn my armor as I fought for my kingdom, for my wife, than the deep blue of her eyes. If you agree, then, I would like this to be our color."

He heart clenched unimaginatively hard in her chest. What she received from him was more than she ever thought existed. With tears in her eyes, she kissed him and accepted his proposal. After collecting her composure, she stood and walked naked across her chambers into her sitting room where her desk stood. She brought back a scroll wrapped in crimson silk ribbon.

"My gift for you."

He unrolled it. The emblem painted in ink was striking. It was a silhouette of a griffin superimposed on a shield. Above it sat a glorious crown. All were surrounded by a wreath of oak leaves. "Em, it is beautiful."

"Shall I tell you its meaning?"

"Yes, please do."

"It is encased by oak leaves, which are the storehouse of wisdom. The crown is of course, a symbol of authority. Now, the griffon, he is the heart of the matter. He stands not only for the power and majesty, nor for simply being guardian of the divine and precious treasure (which is what you are to me), but because griffins mate for life, never to be whole again once they have lost the other." He ran his fingers slowly over the symbolic figure that held such portents. She continued slowly. "My life is no longer my own, just as yours is no further your own. Your breath is my breath and I will live, only so long as you do."

He was overcome by the weight of her words. "I am happy that you have thought of our kingdom's color, because I would like this to be our emblem. So truly, I think this must be another gift for me," she smiled sheepishly, realizing he would gift her with his acceptance.

He kissed her, passionately ignited by her thought and care. He knew she was right. He was hers for life, as she was his. He smiled perfectly satisfied as he pulled her back down to the fur, eager to consummate their agreements about their future kingdom.

Emera, giggling as he tickled his way up her stomach to her breasts, thought, only briefly, how fortunate she was. Not long ago, she had set off to find an ally, and yet, she returned with so much more.

******

Dear Readers,

I wanted to extend a sincere thank you to all of you who have commented and voted and mroe importantly, returned chapter after chapter to read my story. It has been an honor and enjoyable privilege to write for you and connect over something so enjoyable. Thank you!

Titania

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 31 milliseconds