Dream Weaver Ch. 04

"Donald-san, you gave my son Taichi great honor in his greatest moment. In return, and for your greatest honor in defeating a most powerful enemy, I give you your crowbar back as a memento, perhaps in slightly different form."

Todd came up with long box. Opening it, Misaki displayed the two swords in their sheaths, wrapped in silk. "These swords were crafted at the invitation of the Exalted himself by the swordsmith Yoshindo Yoshihara and his apprentices. Remember, Donald-san, the sword is the soul of the samurai, and your crowbar will always be part of your own soul now."

With that, Misaki extended his left hand with the short sword. "Arigato, Misaki-sama." I said. Mariko helped me to put the sword in my sash belt, then Misaki extended his right hand with the katana, and I thanked him again. Instead of putting the sword in my belt, I turned to the audience and pulled the sword halfway out of its scabbard so that they could see it. The craftsmanship was incredible; I was now in possession of one of the very finest swords in the world. The assembled group shouted three cheers.

Misaki took out a fan with an intricate design on it and opened it. He waved it three times with some wording, and all of the assembly raised both hands and shouted again and again in reply. Todd would tell me later that this was a ritual of renewed loyalty to whatever we'd sworn loyalty.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I guess you've figured out what that was all about, Uncle Don?" Todd said as we flew back home.

I said: "The Media likes to talk about groups like The Illuminati, the Bilderburgers, Skull & Crossbones, and whatever. They're the Globalists, the Elitists, and people like Mitt Baker, Conrad King, and Wallace Bedford are a part of them."

I continued: "What the Media does not tell us about are the groups opposed to the Global Elitists, who worked to found the United States after winning our freedom in the Revolution, who work to keep Free Men free, who work to stop the corruption. Takaki Misaki is one of those, as is the Deputy Director of the FBI, Jack Muscone's boss. Obviously you're a part of it."

"As is my mother, your sister." said Todd. "We're sort of independent, though I've allied with Misaki-sama for a long time. The CIA tried to recruit me as well as my mother and Ned. Ned gave them lip service, while Mom and I flat-out rejected them, as did you."

"So Melina tried to recruit you into the CIA, eh?" I said.

Todd looked surprised and said "No, it wasn't her. She didn't commit to them until recently."

"And Eckhart?" I asked. "He's allied with us, isn't he?"

"Not much gets by you, Uncle Don." Todd said with that brilliant grin of his. "Yes, Dr. Eckhart is a... 'friend', I guess would be the best word. And now you are one of us, if you want to be, or you can stay independent and work on your own. Knowing how good you are, that might be best for all of us, that you stay on your own. We know you have no love for the Establishment and the Globalists."

I felt the katana in my left hand, in its scabbard. The handle was covered by an intricate weave of read and black threads. Good Wildcat colors, I thought to myself. And the steel is of the steel that destroyed the evil Reverend Jonas Oldeeds, and the insidiously evil Pastor Raymond K. Westboro. The sword felt alive in my hand.

"What are you going to name it, Uncle Don?" Todd asked. "The katana?"

"I don't know." I said. "It'll come to me." Well, actually it already had a name in Japan, it was simply 'The Crowbar Katana'...

When we got home to County Airport, Lt. Teresa Croyle was there to greet us. She no longer was wearing her sling. Surprisingly, she bowed to both of us, and we bowed back as she said "How was your trip, Commander?"

"Good." I said. "You qualified with your gun again?"

"Both hands." said Teresa. "Just like you. May I see the Crowbar Katana?"

I showed it to her...

Part 20 - Day of Honor

August 1st. A lot was going on, but the most important thing was that it was my daughter Carole's third birthday. We had had her party for her the day before, knowing that today would be busy. I looked in on her, seeing her sleeping peacefully. The redoubtable Bowser, by way of contrast, was alert and watching me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded MILF reporterette from in front of City Hall at 7:00am, Monday, August 1st. "It is going to be a huge day today as the Police and Fire Departments celebrate their promotions and medals day. It's an especially huge day for the Police Department, as the Town & County Council has confirmed that at least one Distinguished Police Cross will be awarded for the first time in over a quarter century! There will be a parade at noon, followed by the public ceremony at 1:00pm here in front of City Hall."

"Channel Two News has also learned that the last recipient of the Police Cross, Joe Smedley, will be present at today's ceremony, showing himself in public for the first time in years. It is not known if Mr. Smedley will present the Fire Cross to its recipient, whom neither the Council nor the Police Department will identify at this time."

"The Council has not confirmed what other awards will be given out today." said Bettina. "Many people believe that a special award is in store for Commander Donald Troy after his role in breaking up the Raymond Westboro Crime Syndicate, but there is no confirmation on what that might be, especially as Commander Troy has already been awarded a Medal of Valor in the past."...

"The Commander?" said Joanne Warner. "A Police Cross for what he did? He should be getting the Medal of Valor."

"He already has an M.O.V." said Lt. Wes 'Coldiron' Masters.

"He should get a second one." said Cindy Ross.

"True." said Teddy Parker. "Maybe it's you for the Police Cross, Captain Ross. Or Lt. Croyle."

"The only thing I know," I said, walking into the room with my companion, "is that just about every Officer on the Force is going to be getting something today."

I then turned to Joanne with my companion. "Detective Warner, you remember your buddy Bowser, don't you?" I handed Bowser to her after he sniffed her and found her to be a friend.

"Oh, I just love this dog! What a sweet dog!" she said, petting him as he sat on her desk. Bowser had on his Police bandana over his back, and his K-9 badge on his collar. He looked utterly adorable and his usual redoubtable self.

"Joanne, would you keep Bowser for a couple of hours for me?" I asked. "You can keep him in my office or another room."

"Yes sir, I'd love to." said Joanne as Teddy Parker attempted to make friends with Bowser. I told him to let Bowser sniff Teddy's fist, and soon enough, Bowser had more friends.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 8:30am, two groups of Army ROTC cadets convened in the Civic Center. They were both going to be in the parade today. One of the units was from the University. The other was from my School. They were Cadets of the rising Senior classes.

"It's great to see you again." said the Colonel of the Wildcat delegation, shaking my hand. "I heard all about your day with Pastor Westboro, and also what happened with some bad people at the Federal level. Glad you're okay."

"Thank you, sir." I said. Then I stepped up before the two groups."

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm Police Commander Troy, and---" I was interrupted by applause, as both groups gave me a standing ovation.

"Thank you." I said after a moment. "I need to hurry, here. First, I want to thank both groups for being in the parade today. It's an honor to have some of my fellow Wildcats here; I remember when I was one of you. And I got to work out a lot of mornings with the Bulldog cadets, which I also appreciate. You're all great people, and I hope you'll do well in your military careers."

I then said "I asked you here this morning so that you could hear from someone." I turned to the door, and Chief Griswold wheeled in old Mr. Davis. Mr. Davis was in his old Army uniform, with Airborne wings and the Pathfinder badge over his rows of medals... which included the Distinguished Service Cross and the Purple Heart.

"Mr Davis here was one of those that jumped behind the lines on D-Day." I said. "And even more, he was a Pathfinder that marked the landing zones for the Paratroopers. Mr. Davis, would you mind speaking to these future Officers?"

"Commander Troy is too kind in his introduction." said Mr. Davis. He then proceeded to talk to the Cadets, who were a rapt audience. I had to leave for the Medal ceremonies at Headquarters, but I was told that it was an extremely fascinating next two hours for those in the room. It was also recorded on videotape for posterity, for those days when Mr. Davis was no longer among us...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Here it is." Commander Della Harlow said as she opened the box. We were in my office, and she was showing me the new medals.

"Wow, that is beautiful." I said. It was a Distinguished Police Cross. The Maltese Cross was in blue enamel with silver trim over a wreath, with the Public Safety seal in the middle. The cloth drape and ribbon was solid red, with blue border and thin white stripe separating the red and blue.

"And here's the Distinguished Service Medal." said Della. The ribbon was solid blue with blue edges and a thin white stripe between them.. The Medal was a sunburst of rays, every other one enameled blue and the remainders enameled white.

"Also very nice." I said. "What else?"

"Well, we're about to find out." Della said mysteriously. "It's time to go into the backyard and give some medals out."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There were few promotions, but a lot of medals. Mostly Achievement Medals, and those were given out in groups, units, of Officers to save some time. Then came Commendation Medals.

This included my personal favorite award of the day. I brought my dog Bowser up, and Cindy pinned a K-9 Commendation Medal upon his collar as the Chief read the proclamation rewarding Bowser for exposing the Consultant of Crime. That proclamation would proudly hang on Bowser's owner's wall... next to my Medal of Valor citation. I held Bowser up with great pride as the Officers applauded him.

"He loves that dog more than he loves me." Laura whispered to my mother Phyllis in the grandstands as they watched the ceremony. Phyllis just giggled and patted Laura on the thigh.

Higher medals then came. Every Officer that went into the Church while it was rigged for bombs, save two, received Police Medals. One of those two excluded Officers was Sergeant Micah Rudistan.

And that was because he became the second Police Officer to be awarded the Public Safety Legion of Excellence, which was pinned up on him by the first recipient, Lt. (Ret.) Tanya Perlman. It is possible they were a both a little mischievous about it as she pinned the medal on his uniform jacket.

Then came the Purple Order. The medal around the neck could only have one oak leaf cluster, designating multiple awards, so I pinned a medal with a drape and two clusters onto Teresa Croyle's uniform jacket. Amazingly, this was the only Purple Order for the Police. The Fire Department was awarding one to the bomb squad member who was injured when the First Baptist Church collapsed.

"Okay," said the Chief to conclude the ceremony, "those in the parade be at your assigned places before twelve noon. The rest of you, report to City Hall before 1:00pm for the ceremony."

After the ceremony, my mother took Bowser to take him and his medal home, and I took Davie Marsdon and Timmy Austin and their families on a tour of Headquarters. They were dressed up in suits and clip-on ties, looking as uncomfortable as I am sure they felt. But they were loving every minute of it. The inmates in the holding cells shouted at them to intimidate them; the inmates were actually doing it for the kids' own good, to scare them straight. Davie and Timmy wanted no part of jail.

And like the Senior Citizens some months before, the boys' favorite part of the tour was the Iron Crowbar's office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The parade was a good one. The three high school marching bands marched. The Bulldog and Wildcat Cadets marched. Fire trucks carried Fire and Police Officers around the route, including me, Cindy and Teresa. After we disembarked at City Hall, the Booker T. Washington High School Band performed on the cleared street between the City Hall portico and the grounds of the Square, which was rapidly filling with people. The BTWHS Band put on an excellent choreographed routine.

And then came my surprises.

I'd gone to the Trophy Shop and gotten some medals. They had red, white, and blue ribbons, and either silver or gold medallions. I had the words "Crowbar's Crew" engraved on them. Two were gold, the rest silver.

To start off the ceremonies, I had Davie Marsdon and Timmy Austin come up. One way to instill leadership in others: put them in front of people. Davie and Timmy faced several thousand people in Courthouse Square as I draped the the gold medals around their necks for their part in the evacuation of First Baptist Church. Davie the former troublemaker was loving it. One day in the far-flung future, David Marsdon would become a Brigadier General in the United States Army... and it all started here.

Then came the twelve Senior Citizens of the Community Center, including old Mr. Davis and old Mrs. Boddiker, Mrs. Williams, and the others. They got the silver medals, and had insisted that Cindy Ross put them around their necks; she was their honorary member. Even old Mr. Davis got emotional; it had meant something to him to be able to contribute in his old age.

Next up... was Captain Cindy Ross. For her role in leading the evacuation of First Baptist Church, she was awarded the Police Distinguished Service Medal. Chief Griswold read the proclamation as I clipped the medal on her uniform jacket pocket. I thought it should have been more, but this was indeed a very high award, rarely awarded before retirement. And it came with a metal-bordered blue ribbon, giving Cindy three such rectangles on her regular uniforms. Dr. Eckhart was on the stage, and had been sitting by Cindy as her family. He had tears in his eyes, I noted.

Then Chief Griswold made an announcement: "For the next award, the first Police Cross in decades, we are honored to have a special guest to make the award. Retired Admiral Leonard Cordell is a veteran of several wars, including Viet Nam, serving as a medic and then a doctor, patching up our wounded soldiers, and some of our wounded Police Officers, as well. He has asked for the honor of pinning this award upon it's recipient."

Admiral Cordell came up in his formal uniform, the first time he'd worn it in years. I saw the foremost medal on his jacket: the Navy Cross. Cindy Ross moved to the podium to read the proclamation. She had insisted, and after what I'd seen on that videotape, I was not the one that was going to tell her she couldn't. She called up her friend, Lieutenant Teresa Croyle, and read the proclamation as Admiral Cordell pinned the Police Cross on Teresa's uniform.

Dr. Cordell then gave Teresa a crisp hand salute. Not flinching, Teresa returned it. Only a few of us knew that that salute was not just between them: this was a salute that reached across generations, and a father and a daughter.

After a huge round of applause for Teresa, she did not return to her seat, but came around behind the group of dignitaries on the stage... and stopped behind me. She unclasped the Medal of Valor around my neck and handed it to Laura, who just happened to have its box in her purse. Then Teresa motioned for me to come forward.

Sensing what was happening, the crowd began cheering. Chief Griswold came up and said "Ladies and gentlemen, I cannot trust myself to read this one. So I've asked my friend, and former Police and Fire Officer Joe Smedley to help read the proclamation." Joe Smedley came up, wearing civilian clothes and the Medal of Valor around his neck.

Fireman Roy Easley had been the last recipient of the Medal of Valor, but today he conceded to be the one holding the box. Cindy put a stool behind me as I stood at the front of the stage. As Joe Smedley read the proclamation acknowledging my defeating one of the most viciously evil crime syndicates ever, and at extreme danger of the loss of my life, Cindy took the Medal of Valor, with an oak leaf cluster on the panel above the medal, and draped and fastened it around my neck. I was the first, and would be the last, to receive more than one Town & County Medal of Valor.

As the audience began applauding loudly, I felt something tugging at my leg. I looked down to see a three-year-old hugging my leg. My three-year-old. Carole had somehow gotten away from her mother and run up to me. I picked up my daughter, ignoring the pain in my back, and told her to look at all those people. She just clapped her little hands like they were doing.

As I looked over the crowd, I cynically thought of how they wanted my scalp just weeks before, because the Consultant and the Media told them to hate me. Now, they were cheering me loudly. Tomorrow, they would demand my scalp again, if told to by the Media or anyone else taking advantage of their lemming-like desire to blindly follow.

I also remembered the words of the final scene of the movie 'Patton', as stated by George C. Scott:

"For over a thousand years, Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of a triumph - a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeters and musicians and strange animals from the conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conqueror rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children, robed in white, stood with him in the chariot, or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror, holding a golden crown, and whispering in his ear a warning:

"All glory is fleeting."

Finis.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 295 milliseconds