Eyes Only Ch. 02

"But you think I'm being too harsh in my evaluation of him?" I asked as I turned right twice, then back left onto University Avenue.

"I think he's doing pretty well." Cindy said. "Tanya does too; she has full confidence in him. He's not you, he's not the most imaginative guy in the bunch, but he's thorough, methodical, gets along well with his colleagues, gets along well with the Citizens. He really is good at getting information out of the Black community that normally won't speak to Police at all."

"That's all true." I said, carefully checking all of my car mirrors for traffic.

"So why the harshness?" Cindy said. "I don't get the vibe that you're just trying to up his game."

"Okay, between us, I'll tell you." I said as I turned onto North Street, the road that University Avenue becomes when it turns left to run east-west along the northern border of the Town and on to meet the bypass and go west from there.

"Cindy, I am expecting the Council to pass the Study Group's recommendations tomorrow night. The current Detectives will not be affected, they'll retain their pay grades and ranks. But the way I expect they're going to structure it, the current Detectives will be strongly expected to exhibit leadership. Good Detective practices will no longer be enough."

I continued: "Some of the Detectives, like Nash, Cummings, Purvis and Grubby Paul, are doing well and will continue to do so with the higher expectations placed upon them. Teddy Parker and Lorena Rose should also be okay.

"But I'm concerned that Geiger and Theo and Diana Torres are not going to be able to be the leaders they're going to have to become. That's okay, not everyone is meant to be a leader of other people. But I want Theo to succeed, and if he's going to do so, he's going to have to ratchet it up, and quickly." I turned down Riverside Drive, then along College Street and around Courthouse Square.

"Fair enough." said Cindy. "It's okay if I tell Tanya this, so she can help him?"

"Yes." I said. "But keep it to yourself, Teresa and Tanya for now, and tell them to not to say more until the Council actually does something."

"Sure." said Cindy. "So... are we being followed?"

I smiled. "Nope, not that I can tell. Did you see anything?"

"Once I realized why you're driving like a dumbass who doesn't know where he's going, I started watching." said Cindy. "And I saw no one. Want to tell me what it's about?"

"Ever get the feeling you're being watched?" I asked.

"Only by my boss during morning 'Angels' meetings." Cindy replied...

Part 7 - Blossoming

Tuesday, October 20th. It was Homecoming Week at the University, and it's President, Dr. Sidney P. Wellman, was hosting a formal reception for the various Department Heads, Boosters, and 'significant' Alumni. It was something of a dress-up affair, black-tie and all, so I wore my best suit and... a black tie(!).

My wife Laura looked stunning in her beige dress that seemed to cling to her luscious body and float above it at the same time, and I was very proud to be her escort to the reception.

"So, dear," I said, "is this one of those where you require my literal attendance, or should I mingle separately with your fellow professors that have no idea what to say to me?" Laura laughed.

"Depend on who is there and what is going on." said Laura. "Of course I'll need your undivided attention when we get back home tonight, and I drag you to bed to fuck your brains out."

"And if you let me undress you, slowly," I said, my voice a whisper in her ear, "I will give you the fucking of your life."

"Mmmm," said Laura, "I'm going to hold you to that promise..."

Unfortunately our flirtations were interrupted as my mother came into the house via the backdoor. She was going to babysit Carole, Jim, and Doug. Todd was attending the function tonight as a 'distinguished alumni', and I already knew that Teresa Croyle was his date for the evening.

"Oh, I believe I just interrupted some foreplay." my mother Phyllis said with a twinkle in her eyes. "Just as well, since you two young lovebirds need to get going to the President's Mansion."

"Yes," said Laura, smiling radiantly at Phyllis's naughty talk.

"Son, you're going to miss the Council meeting tonight?" my mother asked.

"Not much choice." I said. "I have to go show off the hottest looking woman in the world, here. And besides, I wasn't invited to this Council meeting. They'll go into executive session and decide our fates without my input."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The party was being held on the beautifully manicured back lawn of the University President's mansion, and as we walked through the mansion and out the back door onto the patio, an elderly butler announced us.

One thing 'young whippersnappers' don't realize is the old-school methods of formal introduction announcements. As I handed our card to the old man, he announced "Commander and Mrs. Donald Troy!". Not "Commander and Doctor", not "Mr. and Professor"... but "Commander and Mrs."... very formal, very old-school.

We then walked down the steps to the walkway that went down the long yard. Whenever I saw this beautifully groomed yard, I had an urge to play Ultimate Frisbee on it. But no time for those thoughts now: a lot of eyes were on Laura in her gown, and I was extremely happy that she was holding my arm as we came up to Dr. Wellman and his wife Sally.

"Laura, you look absolutely ravishing." said Sally Wellman. "And Commander, you are aptly named: you take command of any place you enter. To whom may I present you?"

"You both look wonderful, as well." said Laura. "Perhaps you could tell us if--" She was interrupted by the announcement of the next guests.

"Mr. Todd Burke and Ms. Teresa Croyle." intoned the butler. Not 'Lieutenant' Croyle; this was formal... old-school.

"Oh my goodness..." Laura and Sally Wellman both gasped. Todd looked great in his formal suit and black tie, the perfect representation of a young executive on the rise. But it was Teresa that took everyone's breaths away. She was wearing a golden gown, slightly lighter than Laura's dress, and Teresa's dress clung to her magnificent body.

Teresa was very shapely, with nice large-but-firm, high-riding breasts, an hourglass figure that expanded into shapely hips and a deliciously firm, heart-shaped ass. Despite her athleticism, or perhaps because of it, her legs were perfectly balanced: firm, trim thighs, and perfectly curvy calves that tapered to flawless ankles and elegant feet in her high-heeled sandals. Her shoulder-length hair, which she normally wore straight to the sides, was done up and styled very elegantly.

After Todd and Teresa greeted the Wellmans, they were presented to us. "Teresa, you look marvelous! Absolutely stunning!" Laura gushed.

"Yes. Yes you do." I said. "What have you done with my Police Lieutenant?"

"I told her she looked awesome." said Todd with a big grin. "Maybe now she'll believe me." Teresa was blushing, not used to such praise, and not really knowing what to do with it.

"Well, if it isn't the Iron Crowbar and his lovely family." said a woman's voice. We turned to see State Senator Katherine Woodburn. She was being formally escorted by the recently-divorced Tom Riordan, who was now a big University booster and being considered to be a Regent/Trustee.

"Ah, Senator." I said. "You know my wife, Dr. Fredricson, and my nephew Todd. And this is Teresa Croyle, my Vice Department Lieutenant. Everyone, this is State Senator Katherine Woodburn, formerly of KXTC." Katherine's eyes smoldered as I reminded her not only that I'd taken KXTC from her, but the CEO of its new owners, Todd Burke of BOW Entertainment Group, was standing right here. But Katherine kept a straight face.

"You look very lovely, Lieutenant." said Katherine, and it seemed like more than politeness. "Do you all know my friend Tom Riordan? He's now one of the Athletic Board Trustees, as well as part of the Wargrave Trust, and is very influential with the highest University officials and the Regents."

"No one is more influential in the County or the State than you, Senator." said Tom Riordan. I felt humor at the very subtle insults being hurled my and Laura's way, but I was not bothered by them. Especially since the the insults were not true.

Just then Sally Wellman came by. "Senator, may I take you away to introduce you to the President of City University and his wife?" Katherine Woodburn quickly went with Sally, wanting to make yet another high-level connection.

"Come along, Teresa." Laura said, taking Teresa by the arm. "Let me introduce you to some of the ladies around here." My wife had astutely realized that this was Teresa's entry into Town & County 'Society', which as a Police Lieutenant was something that would be to Teresa's benefit to get to know and be a part of. Laura was being matriarchal, but in a good way.

"So, Commander," said Riordan, "I'm surprised to see you at a Bulldog Alumni event. I thought you were a Wildcat." I didn't think he meant that in a friendly way, but I rolled with it.

"Oh, that's next week." I said. "This week I am simply the very lucky man who brought the lovely Dr. Fredricson to the party."

"Yes, she's a lovely woman." said Riordan. "My ex-wife Janet was always saying that she thinks the world of her. So, Mr. Burke, you are the Iron Crowbar's nephew, I understand?"

"Call me Todd." said Todd, smiling his charming smile. "And yes, I'll claim him as my uncle, even if he is a Wildcat and we're Bulldogs. I'm the CEO of BOW Enterprises, by the way."

"Ah, yes, that's where I heard your name." said Riordan. "I'm hearing great things about your company." They began chatting about Todd's company and business in general. I felt like a third wheel and was looking for a way to excuse myself, but was saved by the arrival of Elsie Gringer, aunt of Bettina Wurtzburg and the 'gossip guru' of the County.

"Ah, Commander!" she exclaimed as she came up to me. "And your wonderful young nephew Todd. You both look wonderful!"

"Hello, Elsie. You're looking very well yourself." I said. "Do you know Tom Riordan?" Elsie and Tom exchanged introductions and handshakes. Tom then excused himself, as Elsie clearly wanted to talk with me and Todd.

"Todd, you must tell me who that lovely young lady is that came to the party on your strong, young arm." said Elsie.

"Perhaps Commander Troy can fill you in on that." said Todd, his mischievous grin on full display.

"Yes, that is the Lieutenant of my Police Vice Squad, Teresa Croyle." I said. Elsie was absolutely stunned.

"Well, I never..." Elsie quietly gasped. "So, Todd, are there any secrets you need to tell me? Any diamonds in the pockets of that suit of yours? Any future plans?"

"No, no diamonds." said Todd, grinning his most charming smile. "I'm afraid there is just no story for your column, Elsie."

"Not yet, anyway." said Elsie, her voice conspiratorial as well as flirtatious. "You two are an excellent match; you look wonderful together."

"So says my grandmother." said Todd. "And you will be the first to know if there is anything to announce." That made Elsie just about swoon. Just then Sally Wellman came by and asked to take Elsie away to talk to a couple of Journalism School professors.

"Good grief, Todd." I said. "They're right. Sure there's nothing you want to tell me?"

"I could do a lot worse, Uncle Don, a lot worse." said Todd. "But no, we're still 'friends with benefits' right now. I'd have no problem making it more, but she's not quite ready."

Just then Laura and Teresa made it back to us. "Darling," Laura said, "I need to take you through the gauntlet of my professorial peers, so I can show you off and make these bitches wish their husbands were half the man that mine is." Teresa could not stifle her laughter at that, nor could Todd.

For the next hour I proudly let Laura have my arm and guide me through the introductions. Most of these Academicians knew I was a police officer and looked upon me as if I were the very Plague in their midst, but the Chemistry professors knew I'd been a Chemistry major, and the Physics professors knew I was interested in their fields of study, even though I'd be lost if I had to go to their levels of mathematics. Those conversations were actually pretty pleasant. So it wasn't a totally bad evening.

"Teresa is really blossoming tonight." Laura said as we caught sight of Todd and Teresa talking to other executives and their spouses at the far end of the lawn, near the little guesthouse. "I think they're good for each other."

"I couldn't agree more." I said. "He really brings something out of her that I don't think she's ever allowed to come out with anyone else."

"Yes," Laura said, "her femininity as a woman. She's been fighting the world too long. With Todd, she can relax and just be a woman... his woman. As to him... well, darling, he's your nephew... what do you think?"

"What you're thinking." I said, very sure. "Todd is a great play actor, and all of the world is his stage. Right now, this academic gathering is his stage. Tomorrow, his business will be. But that's all it is to him... acts in a play, and he's acting his parts... not showing the real Todd beneath."

I continued, my eyes introspective and near a reverie: "But I think he and Teresa are both groping to learn trust. We know her story, but his story is there too: he was hurt by Melina, albeit unintentionally; and he won't admit that Jeanine leaving him for his father hurt him, also. But when they both learn to let go of their fear... it'll become something wonderful for them both." I looked at my wife as I said "Like what you and I have, my love."

Laura smiled. "Yes, like what you and I have..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So we're decided on this?" asked the Mayor, trying to wrap up this executive session of the Town & County Council.

"I think the Police Department portion is settled." said Pastor Westboro, who had somehow become the mediator between sides. "As the Police Commander predicted, the changes really aren't that significant in the overall scheme of things."

"He may not even object to them." said Dagmar Schoen. "No one is demoted, the Detectives aren't dispersed to the Precincts, at least not formally."

"He hasn't seen the impending budget cuts, though." Kelly Carnes said. "And the layoffs."

"We're not even close to deciding upon those." said the Mayor. "And that is not a topic for tonight's passage of the bill. What about the Fire Department?"

"They're actually positively impacted." said Thomas P. Cook. "It's the EMTs that will rightly take the brunt of the changes."

"How do you mean 'rightly'?" asked Jack Colby in his baritone voice. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you guys are trying to totally destroy the EMTs in this County. Are you planning on having a private EMT service? Maybe a contract is already planned under the table, Mr. Cook?"

"What are you insinuating?" thundered Cook.

"I just know it was mighty convenient how hard you pushed for Precincts." said Colby fearlessly. "And lo! and behold! it is your properties that are getting leases with those various Precinct Stations."

"What of it?" said Cook. "Mr. Colby, are you formally and for the record accusing me of any wrongdoing in any of these matters?"

"I think it should be investigated," said Colby, "to determine if there was wrongdoing. Are you afraid of being scrutinized in that fashion?"

"Gentlemen," said Pastor Westboro, "may we stick to the current issues at hand, please? It's already been a long night, and we are tired. Tired people make mistakes, in their speech and their actions. To answer your question, Mr. Colby: no, there are no plans, hidden or otherwise, to eliminate the EMS Services. However, they must understand their place in our Public Safety structure."

"The Iron Crowbar has expressly desired that we lift the ban on EMS personnel that are fired or resign from being able to take other County employment positions." said J.P. Goldman. "I believe that would be a very appropriate carrot to extend in exchange for the changes proposed here."

"Why should we give the Iron Crowbar anything?" asked Kelly Carnes with a sneer. "He's our employee, not our master."

"That's a debatable point." said Ian McGhillie, who had remained silent to this point. The cutting tone of his sharp Irish brogue seemed to jolt everyone else. "Of course, he's too busy running the Governor's campaign in secret to even consider your problems, Ms. Carnes."

"Then let me bring this up." said Kelly Carnes, trying hard to take control and impose her will. "How many EMTs would up and quit and move to other County jobs? And Troy would just use that to hire EMTs into his Police Force, and get around us."

"And then we have no EMTs left." said Edward Steele. "I guess the Iron Crowbar is actually helping Mr. Cook get his private company, eh?" There was some laughter at that, but Cook glared at Steele... who just looked right back at Cook, unafraid.

"We have not heard from Councilwoman Adams on this." said the Mayor. "Ms. Adams, speak your peace so we can wrap this up."

"I believe we should vote now." said Malinda Adams, her mouth pinched into primness. "On the current bill. We can come back to the EMT ban from other County employment at a later time." That pretty much concluded the debate.

They voted. The Mayor announced the result and said "the second reading of the bill will be next Tuesday. If there is no more business--"

"Mr. Mayor," said Ian McGhillie, "there is one other thing. The Police Chief has asked to speak with us in private at the conclusion of our meeting. He's waiting outside."

"All right," said the Mayor, knowing what was about to happen, "let's hear what he has to say..."

Part 8 - Political Machinations

The Country Breakfast Diner opens at 6:00am, but an early informal meeting was convened at 5:30am on Wednesday, October 21st. At this meeting was the Diner's owner, John "Jack" Colby, Dagmar Schoen, Chief Griswold, Sheriff Daniel Allgood, Your Iron Crowbar (me), and somewhat to my surprise, Fire Marshal Zoe Singer.

No amount of bad news was going to stop me from eating a good helping of breakfast foods from the buffet. There had been no formal dinner at the Wellman's party the night before, and Laura had dragged me to bed for some intense sex when we got home... yeah, I know, poor me having to endure such things... and I was now famished, for food.

Once we sat down in the private back room, Jack Colby began discussing the results of the previous evening's Council meeting. "It's not all that bad for the Police Department, Don," Colby said, "but there are some impacts."

Colby started: "First, we're honoring the contract you made with David Krueger. We don't want any ex post facto complaints out of anyone swinging red crowbars. Even Malinda Adams was good with that; only Kelly Carnes complained."

"So right now," said Colby, "your 'Detective Apprentice' and 'Detective J.G.' ranks have Corporal stripes with one and two rockers underneath, very unusual looking but everyone likes them. And they will stay. What will change are the names. 'Detective Apprentice' will become 'Detective', and 'J.G' will become 'Detective-2', and called 'Detective'. Both ranks are considered equivalent to Corporals."

"No third level?" I asked, having anticipated three levels of Detectives.

"No." said Dagmar. "We're calling these '1' and '2', but in reality they're like '2' and '3', with Senior Patrolman being the de facto first level from which these Detectives will come. You don't need Detective Apprentices anymore, since the first such rank will be filled by someone vetted and ready to be a full Detective."

Jack Colby said "The next level is 'Detective Sergeant', a rank we already have, with the symbol of Sergeant stripes and a rocker beneath. And that will remain. The Detective Sergeant will now be in charge of a group of Detectives."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds