Eyes Only Ch. 02

"So this is where it starts differentiating." I said.

"Yes." said Dagmar. "Your current people will be left where they are, but new Detectives will be under the current people, and as they are promoted or leave, Detectives will be promoted to Sergeant to replace them. This will be done over considerable time, even years, so it's a slow transition for you, Don."

"That's true." I said. "And it's what I was anticipating. Just don't tell me you're assigning them to Precincts."

"No." said Colby. "But the only thing preventing that is the sheer lack of size of this Town and County. Carnes and Cook pushed hard for it, but just could not make a case for having what will likely still be a maximum of two groups in MCD and two in Vice and try to spread them out."

"So all you're doing" growled Chief Griswold, "is pushing the Detective ranks back so that they are under and work up to Detective Sergeant instead of being higher than Sergeants as they are now."

"Exactly, Chief." said Dagmar. "We did leave what you call the 'warrant officer' bars in place... well, the one- and two-squared silver bars... and those are formally going to be called 'Senior Detectives'. But those are going to be very long-time, very experienced, or very good people--"

"Like Iron-Crowbar-level people." growled Chief Griswold with a grin under his mustaches.

"Pretty much." said Dagmar. "Those ranks will rarely if ever be filled... like the Technical Sergeant, Master Sergeant and Sergeant Major ranks that technically exist but are not being filled. One idea is that these experienced Senior Detectives would be assigned to Precincts, would advice and teach younger Uniformed officers, and would be on the lookout for talent, kind of like the Technical Sergeant positions that are primarily for teaching."

"In other words," I said. "the Council is trying to use that as a backdoor way of putting Detectives in precincts. You just admitted it."

"Uh...no... not really." stuttered Dagmar, and my baleful stare had her very unsettled. Jack Colby tried to rescue her.

"No, don't worry, Don." said Colby. "That wasn't even put in the bill. Just discussed."

"C'mon, guys, I know you're on my side." I said. "But I can see what they're trying to do here. These 'discussions' become implemented actions all too often."

Daniel Allgood intervened: "Why don't you tell the Commander the rest of it."

There's more? I thought to myself.

"Sure, Sheriff." said Dagmar, who then turned back to me. "We are not doing away with any of the ranks, but we are trying to diminish the formality of them. One complaint of some officers was that a Senior Patrolman with three rockers under his one chevron stripe might act like he or she outranks Patrolmen with one or two rockers underneath. That's not what we really want."

"We do want the pay grades," said Colby, "so what we're going to do is allow only stripes from Corporal and up to be shown on standard duty uniforms. The cute chevrons and multiple rockers will only be on formal uniforms, and by that we mean not even Duty Dress, but formal. If you see the rank below Corporal, you'll also see medals instead of ribbons on the jackets, and in your case, Commander Troy, a Medal of Valor around your neck." His effort to butter me up did not improve my mood.

Dagmar said "Detectives will generally be expected to wear plain clothes, but if they do wear a uniform, they'll have their ranks on the sleeves, as they're considered Corporal-level officers. But we're going to strongly encourage Detectives of all ranks less than Lieutenant to wear plain clothes."

"Nothing new there." I said. "And basically diminishing the so-called ranks to pay grades among the Patrol Officers will probably be good over time, though some are not going to be happy in the here and now."

"The last thing is Technicians." said Dagmar. "Lucky for you Myron and Mary are full Detectives already. Technicians are essentially going away. They might be employees of the TCPD or TCFD, and they'll have pay grades like they have now. But new hires will be essentially non-uniformed civilians, employed by the County. Current officers in technician roles can ask for reassignment, stay where they are until they're promoted, or accept the civilian role."

"I should add," said Daniel Allgood, "that this is happening over the entire County. The Public Safety Department will have an I.T. Department serving all branches. They may be assigned to and dedicated to the Police or the Fire Department, but they'll ultimately belong to me."

"And my Data Guyz?" I asked.

"Still yours." said Colby. "They are police officers. We're talking about the hardware and base software, server maintenance, the wiring and specialized I.T. functions. But your Data Group is not going to just be people sitting and staring at computers. They'll be expected to do other Detective functions, though data will be their speciality."

"Just like observation and deduction is the Iron Crowbar's specialty." said Chief Griswold.

"I sense I'm being buttered up here." I said. "So while I go get a second large plate of delicious breakfast foods, why don't you give Commander Singer here the really bad news, as that is obviously why you invited her."

"You're really making me feel great this morning, Don." Zoe said sardonically.

"He's right, Zoe." said Dagmar. "It's not good for the EMTs..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I got to Headquarters and the MCD room just in time for Bettina's broadcast. It was a very silent room full of MCD and Vice Detectives that listened intently to every word. Fortunately, Bettina's report was accurate, though she made it sound much worse than it really was.

After she was done, I said "Doughnuts here, guys." Indeed, I'd brought three full boxes. They disappeared quickly.

"Not so bad for us, but those poor EMTs..." Joanne Cummings said. "Think they'll go on strike over this?"

"The Council will just fire them if they do." Cindy Ross said. "Or I guess I should say the proper term: 'lock them out'."

"Jobs are scarce as it is." said Theo Washington. "And they can't take any Town or County job, even as a school teacher, if they quit or get fired. What I don't understand is why the Fire Department treats the EMTs like shit."

"I'm a relative newbie to this County." I said. "So I don't understand it, either."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was watching for the Chief to arrive, but he did not do so until right at 8:00am. I attempted to follow him into his office, but he closed his door behind him to prevent my entry. I asked his secretary Donna to buzz him and ask him to let me in, but she sneeringly said he didn't want to be disturbed, and she would do it "in my own time."

"Your time is not going to be much longer, at least as far as employment with the Town & County Public Safety Department is concerned." I said to her as I walked out of the anteroom and back to my office.

Cindy and Teresa came into my office for the 'Angels' meeting. I asked Captain Ross to go put all Precinct Captains and Department Heads on alert for a meeting in the next hour or so... including the Admin leaders and even Deputy Chief Brownlee himself. She stalked out of the room.

"So, Ms. Croyle," I said, "how did you like that reception last night."

"It was... kinda fun, actually." said Teresa. "Not my kind of people, though." I could not resist laughing out loud at that one."

"Not mine either, except my wife of course." I said. "But you looked great! You were the Belle of the Ball and the Talk of the Town, and I hope you met some people that might be important to your career moving up the ladder in this Police Department."

"Uh, thanks, sir." Teresa said. She was just beginning to realize the importance of the social aspects, I thought... then I realized that she might actually be thinking of her future with this Police Force and her upward mobility for the very first time. Hmmm...

I didn't have time to think more of it as Cindy and Tanya came inside. "Okay ladies," I said, "I was expecting to be talking to the Chief right now, but he's making a point to not speak with me. So, anything new on the Collins murder?"

"He had no drugs in his system." Tanya said. "Tests came back confirming that. I expected at least some hits for residual drugs over time, but he was really and truly clean."

"That is a surprise." I said. "Anything else?"

"Just that the knife, the big knife, used to slice up the guy's backside," said Tanya, "was lubricated, to decrease friction as it cut through internals." said Tanya.

"Pro hit." I said. Seeing Cindy and Teresa peer at me, I said "It means this is a man used to using this knife to butcher things, and what he seems to like butchering is human beings. He's a pro, and this was a hired hit."

"Yes sir." said Tanya. "The FBI is going to glance into possible contract killers for us. I contacted Jack Muscone last night when I first got these results--"

"Don't say it!" Cindy exclaimed to me, seeing the look on my face.

"Moi?" I said in mock surprise with a grin. Just as Tanya caught on, my phone rang. I answered, listened, then hung up.

"The Chief has deigned to see me now." I said. "We'll talk more later." I got up and hurried to the Chief's office before he changed his mind.

And what Cindy stopped me from saying was that Tanya's contact with Jack Muscone was to wake him up from sleeping in her bed next to her...

Part 9 - Sloppy Seconds

The Chief's door was open when I went into the anteroom, and he called out for me to come on in. I went into his office and shut the door... perhaps with a bit of authority. He looked up at me, seeing my eyes burning.

"You wanted to talk to me, Commander?" he asked. "Have a seat."

"Yes sir." I said, sitting down. "First, sir, I'm just going to tell you this straight out: if your assistant out there ever again treats me the way she did this morning, she will be fired."

"Commander, that is not your call to make." said Bennett, with some acidity in his voice.

"I can have her access to sensitive data restricted, Chief." I said. "And even have her denied access to the building pending a deeper investigation of her trustworthiness. If my assistant treated you the way yours treated me this morning, I'd have fired her on the spot. What you do with your assistant is your business, sir, but she'd better clean her act up, and fast."

"I'll speak to her." said the Chief, knowing I was not kidding. "And you've obviously pissed off at something. The new structure?"

"No, sir," I said, "though that is what I wanted to speak with you about this morning. I'm about to call all the Precinct Captains and above, as well as Department Heads in for a big pow-wow, to clarify and explain the new structure. I was hoping we would plan what we'd say, then you'd give the talk as it really should come from you."

"They haven't even passed it yet." said Chief Bennett. "What's the rush?"

"The Media is reporting the details, and pretty accurately." I said. "But they're also distorting some things, so we need to disseminate the truth through the chain-of-command as quickly as we possibly can, nip any untoward rumors in the bud."

"I see what you're talking about." said the Chief, who was looking off to the side, almost turned sideways to me. "If you want to handle that, go ahead. You don't need me to be a part of that."

I worked hard not to openly gawk at what I had just heard. "Are you sure, Chief?"

"Yes." said Bennett. Then he said "Who do you think is going to win the Governor's election, Don?"

"That depends, Chief." I said, a bit taken aback by the sudden changing of the subject, not to mention the actual question. "If Governor Jared runs again, I think he'll win. If not, then Director Lewis will easily defeat any other Republican they put up against him."

"That's what Krueger said when I asked him." said the Chief. He then glanced over at me. "I'm sure you know the reason I'm asking."

"I can make an educated guess, anyway." I said. "I think you've been offered a job in connection with that new State Lab that's being built next to the University. Maybe as the Administrator of it. And you're wondering who you'll be working for after the Election."

Bennett gave a wan smile. "I actually think something slipped by you. You're part right, but it's more. After that disaster at The Asylum, the one you helped greatly to expose and put an end to, the Governor has been reorganizing some things in the State Department of Justice, especially the State Bureau of Prisons, as well as revamping the various State Crime Labs.

"The Governor has broken the State into several regions, and I've been offered the position of Regional Manager for this area." continued Bennett. "I'll be overseeing the construction of this State Crime Lab as well as the refurbishment of The Asylum. We're-- they're going to be upgrading the Mental Hospital there, really cleaning up all that mess."

"And you've essentially agreed to take the job already." I said. "They didn't start the Crime Lab construction here until they had the regional structure in place and you agreeing in principle to take the job."

"Well, maybe less got by you than I thought." said Bennett. He had no idea, I thought to myself, but I said nothing more. "My office will be in the State Office Building here in Town, and I'll be commuting to Midtown a lot.

"I might have a house down there where you can stay for stretches if you need to." I said.

"I'd appreciate that." Bennett said. "I will say this: I told the Council at their meeting last Tuesday, so the gears are in motion. I officially start the State job on January 4th of next year. I'll remain on as Chief until the end of the year, though I'm in a Consultant capacity right now. I expect they'll offer you the Chief's job again, and this time if you don't take it, they will make Robert Brownlee the Police Chief... and your boss."

"On that... Time will tell." I said. "Anyhoo: congratulations, Chief, that'll be a great job for you, and the State will be able to make use of your managerial talents. Is there anything else you need me for?"

"No, go ahead and prepare for your meeting." said Bennett. "And Don, do not say one word about this for now."

I made the 'my lips are sealed' motion, then left. I made sure to glare at the assistant Donna as I walked by. Yes, she'd damn well better be prepping her résumé...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went to Cindy's office and offered to buy her lunch. We got into my Police SUV and I drove down to Jefferson Avenue and turned east upon it. After clearing the Town, I surprised Cindy by continuing east along the road until it became the Nextdoor County Highway.

"Yep," I said as she looked at me. "We're going to have lunch with your sister Molly."

"Good." Cindy said. "I haven't even seen her new office yet, and I want to."

In the town of Hillside, we went by Police Headquarters, where we spoke with their officers, including their Chief, for a few minutes, and then Molly came with Cindy and I to the Lakeside Restaurant for lunch. The restaurant was near the highway, and was built on the southeastern end of Reservoir Lake, complete with a dock and deck near the water.

"Ladies," I said after we'd ordered, "this information is for your ears alone, and should not be disseminated, at least not by you, Cindy." I told them that Chief Bennett was indeed leaving, and the story behind it as I'd learned it this morning. Both Molly and I noticed Cindy's eyes sparkling just a bit more brightly.

"Don't get excited, Cindy." I said, trying to hide a grin. "The Council will insist that either I take the Chief job or they'll give it to Brownlee over me... and you. And I'm not taking the Chief job." For just a second, Cindy's eyes flared, then she caught on... and I could tell she was trying to rely on mental insight as she was being taught by her father Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart, founder and great leader of 'The Vision' self-help group.

"You have already planned this out." said Cindy. "I don't know if you were behind getting Bennett out of the Chief's chair with the State job, but you've already decided what to do about who will be the new Chief. And..." she looked over at Molly, and I could see that she, Cindy, was understanding as she continued: "... and since you've brought Molly here, I think I know what your plan is..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There are two things that the Troy Household's guardian dog Bowser does not particularly like. One of them is sweet potatoes; he'll eat anything else, but not them.

The other thing is my cellphone going off in the wee hours of the morning; he apparently remembers when I went up to The Cabin and got kidnapped. So I heard yipping right after I heard my bedside cellphone ringing. It was my Police cellphone, and it was Sergeant Rudistan calling.

"It better be good, Rudistan." I said groggily as I became fully awake, knowing full well it would be if it was him making the call.

"Right up your alley, sir." said Rudistan. "We've got sloppy seconds here. A Whippet's Club customer was kidnapped from their parking lot in the southern end of the Tenderloin District. We just found the guy's body in the field just north of Cemetery Hill... BDSM clothing, the works."

I was fully awake now. "So why do you need me to come down there?" I asked as I got out of bed.

"Uh, sir..." said Rudistan, who obviously did not want to tell me on the phone. "I think it's something you just have to see for yourself..."

To be continued.

Bonus points: The cluuuues to the Iron Crowbar's plan for the Chief's chair have been given, in this story and other stories before it. What do you think Your Iron Crowbar's plan could be?

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 57 milliseconds