Hell's Kitchen

"No. Or at least I never really have. To be honest I haven't thought about it all that much. But now, for obvious reasons, I guess I find myself hoping there is, too."

"I wish I had a better answer for you, but the truth is, I find it all so confusing. I was raised Catholic, but it wasn't that big of a deal, you know? I haven't been to church in, gee, 25 years or so?" she said.

"Wow. I was maybe a year old them," he said without thinking about the age difference between them.

Felicia sort of laughed then said, "Oh my heavens! I was just getting to the point where I didn't see you as someone so much younger, and then you say that."

Noah also laughed halfheartedly then stopped and turned to face her.

"That's something else I wanted to talk to you about."

"My age?" she asked, not sure what he meant.

Noah kind of lowered his head for a moment then looked at her and said, "No. Not that."

Felicia's heart started beating fast as he moved a little closer. Then when he reached out for her hands, it began racing. She wanted to ask what he was doing, but she didn't say a word. She just stood there and let him take them.

"All this has taught me that life is short, Felicia. I suppose I knew that before, but this really brought that home."

"That makes perfect sense," she told him as her eyes met his.

"I don't think it's a secret that I find you very attractive, but in case I haven't made clear, I'm also very attracted to you," he explained.

"But, Noah, we're so much..."

"Please. Let me finish, okay?" he said very gently as her interrupted her.

"Sorry," she said sincerely as she broke eye contact.

"I know our age difference bothers you, but I'm hoping you'll at least try and overlook it long enough to give me a chance to show you I'm not...mentally...as young as I am chronologically."

She glanced at him once while he spoke but looked away again immediately.

"Please don't laugh, okay?" he said prefacing his next remark.

"I won't," she said quietly as she looked up at him again.

"It took losing my mom to realize not only that life is short, but that I'd very much like to have you in mine."

Felicia went to speak but Noah said, "Just a little more. Please."

She stood there looking at him and waited for him to finish.

"I've never met anyone like you before. I've never met anyone who really even interested me. But I...I can't stop thinking about you, Felicia. Even now, after just burying my mother, all I can think of is you."

He paused then slowly raised a hand and gently touched her cheek and said, "You are the most amazing woman I've ever met. You're smart, you're kind, you're caring, and you're...unbelievably beautiful."

Felicia had had several thoughts running through her mind to counter whatever he might tell her, but after hearing that, she couldn't think of a single thing to say.

"I really like you, Felicia. A lot. And I would very much like the opportunity to get to you know you better."

He smiled then said, "And with any luck, maybe, just maybe, you might feel the same way about me."

She wanted to say, "Noah, you've just been through a traumatic event. That, not me, is causing you to say these things."

But she couldn't. She couldn't because she was suddenly aware that was exactly how she felt about him, too.

So instead, she smiled back and said, "How do you know I don't already feel that way about you?"

Noah smiled the first real, genuine smile she'd seen since before she'd met Grace, and after he did, he leaned closer to kiss her. When he did, she put her hands on his shoulders and raised up to kiss him back.

This kiss lasted for three or four seconds, and it may well have been the best kiss either of them had ever experienced.

"So now what?" she asked sweetly.

"I believe you owe me a date," Noah replied.

"Oh, right. I believe I do," Felicia said with a smile.

"Coffee?" he asked.

"Yes, please!" she replied as she shivered in the chilly air.

"I know just the place," he told her.

On their way out, they saw Daryl standing by his car.

"Noah? You got a second?" he called out.

"Do you mind?" he asked Felicia.

"No. Of course not. Better not keep The Chef waiting."

He handed her his keys and suggested she go warm up the car rather than stand outside any longer.

"What's up?" he asked his uncle.

"I uh, I was hopin' we could maybe talk," Daryl told him.

"Sure. Anything important?"

"It can wait. I saw you and Felicia. You know..."

"Right," Noah said knowing what his uncle meant.

"She's pretty amazing."

"Yes, she is."

"Well, I don't want to keep you. But maybe later tonight or tomorrow morning?"

"Yeah. Sure. I'll give you a call first and then stop by."

"I won't be sleeping—again—tonight so...anytime, kid, okay?"

The car was starting to warm up when Noah got in, and it felt good after being outside for the last hour or so.

"Anything important?" she asked before immediately saying, "That's any of my business, of course."

Noah turned toward her then said, "I don't want to have secrets between us."

She smiled then he said, "He just wants to talk."

"You said you've never seen him like this before. Do you think he's okay?"

"I don't really know. He puts on this tough guy mask at work, but that's not really him. And I know losing his sister was as hard on him as it was on me losing my mother. But what exactly he wants to talk about I can't really say."

"The restaurant's been closed this whole time. It's none of my business, but that business is so competitive..."

"I understand. It's a good way to lose customers in the long run as well as those who maybe stopped by the first time and found it closed. Hopefully, they'll be understanding, but yes, it is a very tough business."

When he sat there staring at her after he finished speaking, Felicia asked, "Are you okay?"

He kept looking and said, "Me? Sure. I'm fine. I just can't believe how beautiful you are."

His words not only spoke to her heart, it was as though they somehow managed to penetrate her very soul. She couldn't stop staring at him, either, and for the first time she realized she not only had feelings for him, but that she might actually be falling in love with him.

It was so crazy she wouldn't dare say those words out loud, but it was one of those rare moments where she felt like his 'spirit' was communicating directly with hers even though she had no idea whether or not souls or spirits even existed.

When he leaned over to kiss her again, Felicia didn't hesitate to move closer to let him.

Like the previous kisses, this one was also very pleasant, but unlike them, this one seemed somehow—charged. It was as though this spiritual communication was now joined with the physical, and more than anything, Felicia found herself wanting to be with him in the worst way. It was as crazy as the thoughts she'd had about him just moments ago, but it was every bit as real.

As if he was somehow reading her mind, Noah quietly said, "Would coffee at my place be okay?"

It took all of her willpower not to say they could skip the coffee, but she didn't say that.

"That sounds nice," she replied instead.

An hour and two cups of coffee later, this 'electricity' between them had continued to grow. They'd been sitting on the couch next to each other as they sipped coffee and talked.

At some point, Noah set his cup down then said, "Do you believe in love at first sight?"

She set hers down, too, as her heart began to race again.

"I don't know. I suppose it's possible," she said. "Why do you ask?"

She turned her head and looked at him as he said, "I never used to, but..."

"But?" she asked in a whisper.

"But since the first time I saw you, I...I think I do."

When she didn't answer, Noah assumed it was too much too fast and began trying to explain.

"Shhh," she said as she put a finger over his lips.

She smiled then told him, "I can't say I felt that way 'at first glance' but I have to admit that after what we've been through together recently it might just be possible 'at...second thought'."

Noah laughed quietly then said, "I'm not quite sure what that meant, but I think I like the way it sounded."

"I'm not that good with words," Felicia said with a very sweet smile. "I'm much better with showing someone how I feel."

"Oh. I see. Well, I definitely like the sound of that."

"Then you'll love what I have planned to show you even more," she said before pulling him close and kissing him; slowly at first then more passionately as tongues danced and soft moans were heard.

"Come on. I know a better place for you to show me."

"Then by all means, please take me there," she said as she playfully bit his lip.

Noah stood up, put his arms underneath her, and carried her to the bedroom where she showed him exactly how she felt.

"I'm glad you showed me how you feel," he told her as she lay in his arms an hour later.

"I'm glad you let me find out...how you feel," she said with a happy smile just as she 'felt' him again.

Noah laughed then said, "How do I feel?"

Felicia moaned as he grew in her hand and said, "Wonderful," as she rolled over on top of him and took him again as soon as he was fully ready.

When he dropped her off later that evening, he turned to her in the car and said, "Now it's my turn to ask, 'What next'?"

"If you have to ask, I didn't show you how I feel very well," she replied with a sweet smile and another kiss.

"May I see you again tomorrow?" he asked.

"Yes," she told him. "You may see me anytime you like."

"I'd like to see you all the time," he said as though it was a warning.

"Oh, so I'm not the only one who feels that way," she remarked with another smile.

"I'll text you, okay?" he told her.

"Ah, yes. People don't call anymore, do they?" she replied as though texting was a big letdown.

"I can call. I just don't like calling," he told her.

"I'm not going to say a word about people, you know, your..."

Noah laughed then said, "You're right. My generation doesn't like to call."

She laughed, too, and went to reply when Noah said, "Uh-uh! Not a word from you, young lady."

Felicia looked down as though she'd just been scolded at school, causing Noah to laugh again.

"God, I love y...being with you," he said as he reached over and touched her pretty face.

Felicia got serious and said, "I love...being with you, too."

He kissed her then walked her to the door, and told her how much he loved...being with her again before taking her home.

"Yeah. Me, too. Sweet dreams," she told him at her door.

"Felicia?" he said.

"Yes?"

"Thank you. For everything."

She knew making a joke wouldn't be funny so she told him it had all been her pleasure.

So when Noah did make a joke, it only made her love...being with him...even more.

"Yes, it was all your pleasure. Or at least it sure seemed that way from my vantage point."

Feeling emboldened, Felicia said, "Well, you have a very big...point, Mister."

Noah laughed then said, "Goodnight," before kissing her again.

"Night," she said quietly before going inside.

Before leaving, Noah texted his uncle and asked what time worked best for him.

"I'm just making something to eat. If you stop by now I'll make enough for two."

Felicia knew her mother well enough to know she knew something was going on. The smile on her face told her everything she needed to know.

"He's very handsome," her mom said before saying anything else.

Not wanting to admit what had just happened, Felicia tried countering with, "He's awfully young, don't you think?"

"It doesn't really matter what I think, honey. What do you think?"

Evidently, her mother knew her daughter just as well.

"You love him, don't you?" she asked without judgment.

"I...I don't know, Mom. I mean, I do like him."

She looked right at her mom as she pulled her coat off then added, "A lot. And yes, he's very good looking."

"And?" her mom asked.

"And...charming and thoughtful and very caring."

"And?" she asked again.

"And...I'm not sure. I suppose that's up to him."

"Really? Why would you say that if you really like him?"

"What?" Felicia asked, not really following.

"Well, what if you're too passive and don't let him know how you feel? There's nothing wrong with telling a man you like him. Or...really like him, just in case he's not quite sure."

Felicia laughed then assured her mom she wouldn't hold back without telling her the degree to which she'd just 'given in' not that many minutes ago.

Charity came downstairs and saw her mom and ran over to her and hugged her waist.

"Mom?" she asked as she held her.

"Yes?"

"Is Noah your boyfriend?"

Felicia saw her mom smiling then heard her quietly say, "She's very perceptive."

"What makes you ask that?" she asked Charity.

"I don't know. I guess maybe I was kind of hoping you'd say 'yes'."

"Oh. Um...you wouldn't mind if he was?" she threw out.

"No. Of course not. Why would I?" she asked as she looked up at her mother.

She led her daughter over to the couch and said, "You don't think he's too young?"

"He's not young," Charity said matter of factly. "Not to me."

Her mother and grandmother both laughed.

"Why is that funny?" she asked.

"It's not funny, sweetheart. We...it's...okay, maybe it was a little bit funny," her mom said without explaining why.

"Well, it's okay with me if Noah is your boyfriend," she told her mom before leaning over and hugging her waist.

Then she looked up and asked again, "Is he?"

Felicia smiled and said, "No. Well...maybe. We'll see, okay?"

Charity hugged her again then said, "That works for me!" causing the grownups to laugh again.

She ran back upstairs and Felicia's mom asked, "So...is he?"

"Is he what?" she asked back pretending not to get it.

"Oh, please!" her mom said.

Felicia smiled then said, "Yes. At least I think so."

"Oh, honey! I am so happy for you!"

"Really? You don't think I've lost my mind or...worse?"

Her mom hugged her and said, "No. Of course not. If you really like him and he's good to you then it makes sense, right?"

"And the fact that he's, you know..."

"Gorgeous?" her mom teased.

"Mom! Stop. You know what I mean."

"I do. But he's a grown man with a good job who works hard and who cared for his mother until the very end. So tell me how many men of any age would willingly do that?"

Felicia thought for a moment then said, "Well, when you put it that way..."

"Just follow your heart, honey. And don't ignore your head."

Felicia laughed and hugged her mom and told her how much she loved her.

"Right back at you, sweetie," her mom said.

Noah wasn't only curious about what his uncle had to say, he was really getting concerned about him. He'd never been so quiet and withdrawn, and it was beginning to worry him.

"Thanks for coming over, Noah," he said as he asked his nephew to sit down.

"Yeah. Of course."

His uncle rubbed his face with both hands, exhaled loudly, then said, "I've spent most of my life building up my business, and it's done better than I could have ever expected."

"That's a direct reflection on your skill as a chef and your sense for business," Noah told him without any hint of 'sucking up'.

"Thanks, kid. But your mother's death really hit me. I can't stop thinking about, you know, my own time, and..."

"Hey. Hold on. You've got a lot of years left, Uncle Daryl."

"Maybe. But no one ever really knows. And the last thing I want is to look back and ask if it was all worth it. What good will numbers in a bank account mean once I'm gone? You know the old saying, right? They don't put luggage racks on coffins."

Noah had heard it several times and nodded in agreement.

"So...I think I want out. While I'm young enough to do all the things I never did. Hell, I'm pushin' 50 and never even been married. But when you work 80-90 hours a week, you can't possibly devote your life to someone let alone kids. I don't know if I want rug rats, but I'd definitely love to have a woman in my life."

"So what are you thinking?" Noah asked.

"I want to sell the business, and I want you to have it—if you're interested."

"Wow. That's...that's huge."

"It's a ton of never-ending responsibility. I'll hang around and help you in the kitchen until you can run it on your own, but I want out."

"How long do think it'll take until I'm that good?"

"Oh, no more than ten or twenty years," his uncle said with a straight face.

Then for the first time in days, Noah saw him laugh.

"No, seriously. I'd say another four months or so? Give or take."

"But what about the business side?"

"We've got someone there already who'd be a fantastic general manager."

"Felicia?"

"Yeah. Felicia. She's obviously not interested in me, and Lord knows I've dropped enough hints, but she clearly is interested in you. Why, I have no idea, but she is."

Daryl knew exactly why she was, and as much as it pained him to admit he couldn't compete with his nephew, it was a fact; an undeniable fact, at that.

"So maybe discuss this with her and see what she says. Then we can talk finances."

"Are we opening back up tomorrow?" Noah asked.

"Yeah. I'm ready now so we'll hit it hard again first thing."

"This is a lot to take in," Noah said as he stood up.

"We've got time. I want out, but I don't want to bail and leave a mess. Nor do I want to sell it to someone I don't know. However, if you don't want to own it but you'd like to stay, I can make that a contingency in the sale."

"Felicia, too?"

"Yeah. Sure. Okay, I can do that, too," his uncle said with a smile. "Now come here you big lunk, and give your uncle a hug."

Noah couldn't ever remember hugging his uncle before. Even after returning home from four years on active duty, they'd only shook hands. Obviously, Grace's death had really had an effect on him, and from all accounts, a very positive one.

"Let me know, okay? No hurry, just don't drag your feet," Daryl told him.

"I'll talk it over with Felicia tomorrow," he promised.

"Hey, you two gettin' serious?" Daryl asked.

"Yeah. I think maybe we are."

"I'm envious. I gotta be honest about that. But I'm also happy for you. She's an amazing woman, and that little girl of hers is great."

"I couldn't agree more," Noah said.

"Take care, Noah," Daryl said as he slapped the younger man on the back.

"Hey, did you just call me Noah?"

"I did, why?"

"I don't know. I was just getting used to 'numb nuts', 'shit head,' and all the other names you've laid on me."

Noah laughed but not Daryl.

"I, uh, I'm really sorry about that, Noah. That's not gonna happen again. You have my word."

"I won't hold you to it," Noah said jokingly just before saying 'goodnight'.

When he got home, Noah texted Felicia who reached for her phone so fast it startled her daughter.

"Sorry, honey," she said as she grabbed it and read the text.

"Hi, beautiful. I just talked to my uncle and he wants to sell the restaurant. Don't panic! We'll both still have jobs. But this impacts both of us, and we need to discuss it. When would you like to get together? Oh, before I forget, I can't stop thinking about you and how amazing you are, Felicia."

Her heart went pitter patter when she read, "Love, Noah."

"It's from your new boyfriend, isn't it?" Charity said.

When her mom looked at her she said, "I can tell by the way your lips moved when you read it."

"What?" her mom asked.

"You did this smiling thing twice. So it has to be from Noah."

"You are too smart," her mom told her.

It was only 7:30, and Felicia really, really wanted to see him again so she asked Charity if it would be okay if Noah came over.

"Duh. Of course it would," her daughter said with a happy smile.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds