Hunter's Moon

"Oh. My. God. That just gave me a great idea. For Halloween. We'll go as Master Blaster! From Mad Max! It's perfect. I'm brilliant and short and you're dumb and gangly. We'll get that leash you keep in that little chest in your closet and-"

"That's-! I don't-! I lock that chest!"

Teri looked at her friend with pity. "Heather, I basically live with you. I can pretty much read your mind and I look through all your stuff. I play a game called 'Find Heather's secrets' whenever you go to the bathroom. Keeping your key under your mattress isn't exactly the best hiding place."

"I'm never letting you into my apartment again," Heather fumed. Dirt crunched beneath their boots as they left the village. Dark clouds hid the bright, full moon but, beyond the clouds, an amazing array of stars filled the night sky. A huge, foreboding forest lay to their right while smooth, grass hills curved around to their left. The two women followed the dirt road that led to the hills, connecting Cuciulata to its neighboring village.

"Oh, Heather," Teri said, her eyes large. The young woman patted her friend's arm. "It's so cute that you think I didn't steal your spare and make a copy."

The two women bickered happily back and forth while they stomped along the road. Tall, green grass and short stalks of winter wheat fell in waves against the increasingly heavily winds. Occasionally, an animal cried out. Hunting or playing or running.

"I wonder if the rest of these hills have old artifacts," Teri asked.

"Probably," Heather answered. "I'm surprised they haven't closed the whole place off to look around. I kind of wish we had a metal detector. That'd be a lot of fun." Heather sniffed at the air again. "I think we better find a spot to sit or you're going to miss the moon. Clouds are coming in pretty fast. Kinda feels like it wants to rain. I don't really want to be caught out in it."

"I know," Teri frowned. "Here's just as good as any place. I really just wanted to sit out for a bit with you. Away from everything else and out in the 'old country' before we do anything else."

Heather bumped her hip against her friend. She found a dry spot on the slope of the current hill and then sat with her knees up against her small chest. Teri settled beside her, crossed-legged.

"Ah. Feels good to sit a bit," Teri sighed. She looked back at the village. "I'm surprised how far we went. I'll be honest, I thought it'd feel scarier out here but it doesn't feel that way at all. Just feels homey. All these farms and everything, I guess."

"Yeah. I wonder if it's the same way back home? Around the farms. Or if it's just because of all the history here. It'd be interesting to find out. I wish there were some cows. Or horses or something."

Teri looked up. "Hopefully they put them inside at night. How come the moon isn't red? Or gigantic? I mean, I guess it's a little bigger? Maybe? But it's just a full moon. That's a little disappointing. I'm sorry. I hoped for some huge dramatic red full moon."

Heather shrugged. "Aw, I don't care. I'm glad I came anyway. You're crazy but I love you and I probably would've found a way to come along anyway. You'd be lost out here by yourself. Or broke in a day. Don't tell yourself but, you're right. This was worth it."

Teri smiled, leaning gently against her friend. They both sat beneath the open sky, watching as the moon was swallowed by the rolling dark clouds. Trees far in the distance swished and swayed against the increasing wind.

"How far away is the next village?" Teri asked. "I can't see any lights."

"A ways," Heather answered. "I think Elena said it's an hour's drive. Something like that. I-" A single drop of rain fell against the woman's air. She wiped it with a finger. Another fat raindrop hit her shoulder. "Aw, hell."

Thunder rumbled in the distance but, before it finished, lightning forked down just beyond the forest. Another, louder peal followed. More raindrops fell from the edge of the oncoming storm.

"Should we head back? We're gonna get soaked," Teri complained.

"I think, hey, yeah, look. That next hill has a big ass rock. We can hide under it until it passes. I didn't want to sleep tonight anyway. Let's go, Master."

"Noooooo. You're supposed to say it right. And I'm supposed to have the kinky leash!"

Heather stood and walked away without another word. Teri struggled to stand and the followed. Rain began to fall in waving lines as the storm moved over them. The two women ran the rest of the distance until they were under the huge rock topping the hill. The dark gray stone jutted out of the hill like a giant's overgrown fingernail and a small tunnel lead into the hill itself. Teri stared into it.

"No," Heather said, reading her friend's mind.

"What if there's treasure?" Teri asked.

"Or wolves. Or spiders. Or snakes. No. Hell no. I'm not going in there."

"What if the Ark of the Covenant is in there? Or, oohh! The Holy Grail! Isn't it supposed to be in Europe? What if this leads to some knight's tomb and the Grail is clasped in his old, dead hands?"

"Teri," Heather said with a sigh. "These people have lived here forever. You know how kids and-" Heather glanced over at Teri. "Some adult kids are like. Every square inch of this area has to have been explored. I hate to burst your bubble but unless you have an excavator or your last name is Jones, probably the most exciting thing we're going to find is a pretty rock."

Teri sat quietly for a moment. "Well. I like pretty rocks."

The rain hammered the stone above them. Both women pulled their coats closer as the wind picked up, howling around the rock and throwing rain nearly sideways at them.

"Maybe," Heather said, her teeth chattering against the harsh, cold wind and rain. "Maybe just a little further in is okay."

"Yeah," Teri said. "Now I bet you wish you weren't such a Mayfair stripper pole now, do you? Still, yeah, the rain's a bit much." Teri followed Heather as she stepped deeper into the small cave beneath the stone.

-----

Deep within, small black creatures shifted uneasily. Tiny wings fluttered as furry bats moved in the darkness. Below them, the ground split apart. A large red claw reached through the opening. A pale, nearly pink arm with a leathery black flap emerged. Several of the younger bats panicked and flew deeper into the cave.

The moon sang to the emerging creature and another clawed arm reached out. It pulled and a furred snout appeared. Huge, feathery ears twitched as it listened to the moon. The remaining bats shrieked and then fell quiet as the creature coming from the ground called to them. The red-limbed creature resembled the bats in a rudimentary, ancient way. Almost completely hairless and twice as large as the largest of the cave bats, it pulled itself completely free and hugged the ground with spread arms. Not a single bat twitched as the newcomer surveyed the area.

Deep black eyes set within a red, hairless snout turned towards to entrance to the cave. It couldn't remember the last time it'd been called out but it could remember the smell of its prey. The creature shook itself and flapped powerful wings until it hovered briefly in the cave. It called soundlessly to its cousins and they responded mindlessly, unable to refuse.

-----

Teri shivered and gasped and, beside her, Heather did the same. The temperature had suddenly dropped and she'd felt like she'd been dunked in a freezing cold pool.

"M- maybe the... the rain... isn't... s- so bad. M- maybe we-" Teri stuttered.

The young woman's words were lost as an immense cloud of bats burst from deep within the cave. Both women shrieked, instinctively covering their heads as they were enveloped by the rushing swarm. Teri and Heather were driven to their knees from the continuous impacts.

Heather felt a sharp pain lance through her exposed neck. She tried to scream but a strange sense of euphoria filled her, replacing every pain and ache. The warmth flooded her body and she collapsed to her side. Her fear of the bats was gone. Her thoughts were gone. Everything was gone. Two small claws held her head away from her neck. Blood flowed easily through a large cut on the side of her throat. The ancient red creature clamped its jaws against the young woman as it feasted on her.

A small moan escaped Heather's lips. The warmth brought pleasure as it suffused her lower body. She tried to focus but her mind was buzzing and all she could think of was how okay everything was. How right everything was.

The small red creature looked up. The stream of bats was slowing and it knew its time was short. With a sharp, fierce cry, it took flight and streaked through the dark night, surrounded by a cloud of black.

No trace of blood or wound remained on Heather's neck.

"Oh god. Oh god oh god oh god oh god," Teri repeated. The young woman's hands explored her own body, sure that some bat had found a hidden spot to take residence. Her short, curly hair was in disarray. "Heather? Are you- Heather!"

Heather was still on her side. She felt like she was floating in the night. Although the feeling was retreating, she still felt warm and happy.

"Heather! Are you okay! Hey!" Teri yelled. She reached for her friend and then bit her lip. Am I supposed to move her? Oh god, Heather would know what to do. "Please, god, please. Heather, you're okay, right?"

"'m fine," Heather said. She smiled and moved her arm slightly. "Fine. 'm fine."

"Did you faint? Are you okay?"

"Shhh," Heather said. "I- Ugh. Oh Jesus, my head." Sudden sharp pain crashed beneath Heather's eyes. The pleasurable warmth was immediately gone. The young woman pushed herself up to sit against the cold wall of the cave and then cursed herself for moving.

"Did you hit your head? What do I do, Heather? Wait. Your eyes, I'm supposed to check your eyes or something," Teri said. She rubbed her hands and licked her lips, her own fear gone as she worried for her friend.

"No, I just, maybe? Maybe I hit my head. I'll be fine. It just really hurts." Heather gently massaged her neck and head. The pain shot down from her eyes to her neck and along her back. It throbbed deep within her, in time with her heartbeat. Suddenly, she hunched over and vomited.

"Oh god, Heather, oh god." Teri gently rubbed her friend's back in a small circle.

"I'm. Fine," Heather gasped. Her stomach burned as it tied itself in knots. The cave spun around her and only Teri's arm around her shoulders kept her from slamming against the floor. "Think. I think. I just. Need to-"

Heather heaved again and Teri hid her face, willing herself not to throw up. The smell combined with just the sound of her friend throwing up made it nearly impossible to resist the urge.

"Better," Heather said weakly. Her face and lips shined with cold sweat. She shook as a sudden fever rode through her body from her temples to her toes. Rather than making her feel worse, it cleansed as it passed through her. "Feel better. Headache's going away. Think. I think I got stew. On my coat."

"You big dummy. You had me scared. Oh god, Heather. Just don't move until you're all the way better. That's right, isn't it? For people with concussions?"

Heather shook her head weakly. "I don't think. Don't think it's a concussion. I feel better. Feeling better. Just let me rest for a minute. Just let me rest. You're warm and soft."

Teri hugged her friend tightly. "It's because I have hips and a little belly."

The two women sat together against the hard, cool cave wall. The rain slowed above them, the roar changing to an erratic staccato before stopping completely. Teri had her eyes closed, thinking of all the happy thoughts she could - her form of prayers.

"I think I'm okay now," Heather said. She still felt weak but it felt more like a shaky weakness after throwing up than anything else. "Help me try to stand up."

"Are you sure?" Teri asked. "I don't mind sitting for a while longer. If it helps."

"No," Heather said. And then, more strongly. "No. I think I'm okay. Come on. I don't want to be in here any longer than I need to be."

Teri stood, bent at the waist as she gave her shoulder to her friend. Heather pushed against the wall and rose, leaning against Teri. Her legs felt shaky but solid enough to stand.

"All right. Now, let go." Teri stood away and Heather continued standing. "Yaaaay."

"Are you sure, Heather?"

"Yeah. Yeah. Just gimme a second and I'll be able to walk. Standing is definitely helping. Fresh air will help even more. Here we go." Still holding onto her friend's shoulders, Heather took a hesitant step and then another. By the time they exited the cave, Heather was walking by herself with Teri standing nearby, ready to catch her.

"The rain's stopped," Teri said. "We could just sit here for a while until you're all the way better."

"No," Heather said. She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "I want a bath and a bed and sleep. I'm sorry, Teri but I'm really done for the night."

"Oh! Don't - don't apologize. I totally understand. If you're sure, we'll just walk back and go to bed. I'll even tell Elena we'll need an extra night and we can go to the castle the day after tomorrow. It's okay."

"No. No way. You're set and you have a schedule. We'll go tomorrow. I'm feeling way better. The headache is gone and everything. Just my stomach feeling a little off and I bet sleep will wipe that away."

"Promise?" Teri asked. "Promise you're feeling better and you won't lie tomorrow just to make me feel better?"

"Yeah. Totally. If I'm not up to it, I won't go."

Teri nodded but still stayed close to her friend as they made their way back to the village. Neither woman said anything while they walked. Elena met them when quietly entered the inn and the older woman's smile faded slightly as she looked between the two.

"Is everything all right?" Elena asked, her voice warm with concern.

"Yeah," Heather replied. "Just. Bats gave us a scare. We were up at a cave on one of the hills and they suddenly just all flew out at once. I think they knocked me over and I banged my head a little. I'm okay, though."

"Oh dear," Elena said with a frown. "Were there any bites? I don't want to alarm either of you but bats have been known to carry rabies and other unsavory diseases."

"Rabies?" Teri asked, her face pale.

"I don't think so," Heather answered. "We'll check, though."

"Well, we have a local doctor and I'd be more than happy to go with you and translate if you need it. I'd feel terrible if anything were to happen."

"Right now I just want a bath. A nice warm bath."

"I understand," Elena said. "I live right down the hall there. Please don't hesitate to wake me up if you need something. I have the doctor's number and can have him come over. It's one benefit of living in such a small area."

"Thank you so much!" Teri said. The small young woman gave the older woman a quick hug before following her friend up the stairs.

The evening passed quickly. Both friends checked each other for bites and were enormously pleased to find neither scratches nor bite marks. Heather took a long bath and then stumbled into her bed to fall into a deep, dreamless sleep.

"Heather," Teri whispered. "Are you awake?"

Bright morning light peeked around the edge of the thick, red curtains of their east-facing window. Heather groaned as her eyes fluttered open. Her body felt heavily and useless, as if she were buried under the thick, old quilt. Her freckles stood out in harsh contrast against her pale skin.

"It's almost noon, Heather," Teri continued to whisper. "I've already had breakfast and explored the town a bit. Do you still not want to get up?"

Still? Heather thought wearily. Speaking seemed to take too much effort. But I'm just now waking up.

"I think we should just stay here today. And maybe I should have the doctor come over and take a look. Just to make sure you're okay. You look a little off."

"No," Heather said softly. The young woman willed strength into her body and she slowly sat up. It took an enormous effort to move and she found herself breathing heavily while she lay against the wall with her eyes closed. "Just. Just give me. A second."

"I dunno, Heather. You look like death warmed over. Look, I'll just talk to Elena and she'll call the doctor. He'll just-"

"No," Heather said firmly. Her eyes opened and Teri slumped in front of her.

"Okay. Heather," Teri replied. Her voice and expression were far away.

"I said we'll go to the castle and I meant it. I'm fine," the young woman growled. Her head throbbed as she forced herself awake.

"Yes. We'll go," Teri answered. "You're fine."

"Just go ahead and get your stuff ready and I'll finish wake up."

Without a word, Teri went to her bed and began packing. Her movements and mannerisms were mechanical. Heather closed her eyes briefly and then forced her legs out from under the blanket to stand. Everything seemed too bright and the air itself felt heavy against her body. She turned from the window to pack her things, barely holding back yawns while she did. When was the last time I slept so late? And still felt so tired? the young woman wondered. She felt slow and dumb and wanted to crawl back into bed. The only thing keeping her going was the thought of how sad Teri would be if she missed going to the castle.

Heather turned and found Teri sitting quietly on her bed. Her bag was packed and the young woman stared at a small spot a few inches from Heather's head. Slowly, the small woman blinked and her personality seemed to flood back into her. Teri shook her head and then stretched.

"Oh!" Teri said. "You're almost packed. Wow, I'm out of it; I didn't even notice you getting up."

Heather stared curiously at her friend. "Yeah. I'm tired but hungry and I'd like to get going. I know how excited you are."

Teri smiled. "Lunch is some fancy sandwiches. And potatoes with gravy. And steamed carrots, I think?"

"That sounds really good," Heather said. Her stomach grumbled in agreement. "We'll come back up for our bags afterwards. I'm starving."

When Heather stepped onto the landing at the bottom of the stairs, every single person turned to stare at her briefly. Heather shivered. They'd all turned as if they were one person and their eyes seemed dead. One by one, they blinked and turned back to their conversations. Heather picked a spot far away from everyone else, unnerved by their stares.

"I'll get some food for us," Teri told her friend. "Just wait here."

Heather nodded. She caught herself glancing around the room. As more people came downstairs, she noticed they chose seats far away from her. It seemed subconscious and possibly meant nothing at all but families sat directly next to other families and single women chose to willingly sit next to other men. A bubble of empty seats fanned out in front of her. Heather chastised herself for her paranoia as Teri walked back from the kitchen with two large plates of food.

"Oh, thank god," Heather said. The young woman ate quickly, tearing into her sandwich before touching her vegetables. Some of her strength returned but, despite the late wake-up and food, she still felt tired.

"I wish I could've afforded to come in the summer," Teri said. "You're positively glowing with paleness. I think your red hair is slowly leeching all the color out of your body is what's happening. When you're all old.... well, older, you're going to have translucent skin and really, really red hair."

"Meh," Heather said, waving her fork. "It's a curse. Red hair, pale skin. Something something milkshake, something something yard. Also, thank you for not wearing your Team Edward shirt."

Teri blushed. "I left it at home. I almost brought it but I thought I'd look stupid wearing it."

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Hunter's Moon
  • /
  • Page ⁨2⁩

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 17 milliseconds