Hunter's Moon

She'd thought she'd felt power earlier at the castle but, now, drinking the man's lifeblood, she realized how wrong she'd been. It was impossible to quantify. She felt as if she could do anything she wanted. That nothing could stop her. The world was small and pitiful and, she alone sat at the top.

Along with the rush of power, she realized what the forces were earlier. A massive colony of bats was the large force pulling at her outside of the castle. She saw them through their own eyes. Flashes of shapes as their cries echoed in the air. Beyond that, several smaller colonies of bats and packs of rats tugged at her. Heather exerted the smallest part of her will and the colonies surged forth in a frenzy, feeding off of her blood thirst. Hunt, she told them.

Heather lifted her bloody muzzle, deep black eyes surveying the nearby forest. She grabbed the corpse, easily lifting him one-handed. A few minutes later, animals crashed through the forest, wild with fear.

-----

Soft gray light cast a haze across the edge of the world. Heather stumbled between buildings, her strength draining from her. Her ears, shorter now but still pointed, twitched as she caught people preparing for the day. Long, sharp fangs protruded from beneath pale lips. She couldn't stop running her tongue along them. So out of place in her mouth. Her small tail, shrunken back to little more than a nub twitched fitfully beneath a long, thick line of red fur running from the small of her back to her shoulders. She was larger now and she spared a pained smile at Teri's comment from the previous day. I filled out after all, I guess.

Too tired emotionally and physically to even cry, Heather stood naked beneath the window to her room. Curtains fluttered through the open window. The young woman sighed and kneeled. Looking up at her window, she grit her teeth and leaped. Muscles like steel cable flexed, pushing her easily through the air even in her weakened state. She landed impossibly light against the window frame. Crouching, stealing a quick glance at Teri's sleeping form, Heather stepped into the room. She closed the window, tossed her torn shirt under her bed and made her way into the small bathroom.

Steam filled the bathroom. Heather lay in the bathtub while the showerhead cast a stream of hot water over her. The faint smell of blood and wet fur surrounded her and she couldn't help the sudden intense craving that coursed through her.

The young woman explored herself slowly. Her breasts were larger but not quite as big as Teri's. They lay heavy and flat against her wider frame. She was as lean as she'd been before but, beneath her skin her muscles felt like rocks. Her finger traced down her stomach to her mound and the soft pink flesh between her thighs. She touched herself carefully and sighed. The memory of taking the man played through her mind, brought forth by the simple pleasure of a touch between her legs. Pleasure from killing that man, she thought sourly. Her stomach twisted at the thought just as her mind lit with cravings for more.

Her thighs seemed normal until she flexed them. Corded muscles stood out and her calves flared. A loud, nearly metallic scratching caught her attention. Looking down further she noticed thick black claws still tipped each of her toes. As the morning wore on, she found her body growing heavy. She knew it wasn't from exhaustion. The sun was rising and it stole her strength as it stole the darkness.

Heather could remember every single moment of the night before. She'd felt a total loss of control, as if she'd been riding along in someone else's body. But, it was still her and she remembered every sight and sound and smell. She was terrified. Not because of what she'd done but because she'd enjoyed it.

She'd felt like a god.

Not enjoyed, a small voice told her. Enjoy. You enjoy it. You still want it. Heather bowed her head.

"Yes," she whispered. Despite checking for bites, she must've been infected in the cave. She'd knew that now. Something called forth by the moon or something else. And, still now, she could feel the colonies of bats teeming in the darkness. Calling for her guidance. Rats covered the entire city and only her will kept them from coming to her to pay homage.

She touched her chest and felt the reassuring strong beat of her heart. She'd worried briefly whether she'd died, as vampires were supposed to do but her heart still beat. Not all the myths are true, perhaps, Heather thought.

The water had turned cold but Heather barely noticed; she'd only realized when the steam had stopped. Her body protected her as it had during the night. Keeping her warm and healthy and strong. With a sigh, the young woman pushed herself up. Her legs shook to hold her weight and so she sat while she toweled herself off. She caught her reflection in the mirror. Her fangs still protruded from her mouth, sharp and perfectly white. The young woman tried to push her lower jaw out to hide the fangs but they threatened to cut into her flesh and grinded against her lower teeth. She sighed and relented and instead found herself fascinated with how she looked.

She looked alive. Predatory. She exuded an easy sensuality that hadn't been there before. A self-confidence born of the gifts given to her. And, another myth gone. I have a reflection.

Heather collapsed against the wall and the room spun around her. "Fu- fuck," she gasped. Reaching a shaky hand up, she opened the bathroom door. When she realized she could no longer stand, the young woman crawled to her bed. Pulling herself up and into the small but comfortable bed, she breathed a sigh of relief. Sleep took her just as she'd covered herself.

Heather lost track of her dreams, memories and reality. She thought Teri tried to wake her up twice but she wasn't sure whether she was dreaming it or remembering the morning before. She dreamed she was flying and it was as glorious as she remembered. Wind buffeted her face and fur and she spiraled down to the ground before swooping back up. Catching prey in flight. Claws rending flesh. The smell of blood filling the air. The rush of excitement from the chase and the kill. The near sexual pleasure she felt as she drained the-

"Heather," Teri whispered. An echo of the day before. "Hey."

"No," Heather rasped. Her back was to the other woman. She'd curled up in a fetal position under her covers while she slept.

"Heather, it's almost 1 pm. Tell me the truth. Are you sick? Or just tired?"

"Tired," Heather said faintly. The young lady could barely think and she was sure she couldn't move. Her body didn't exist to her; only her mind was there and that only faintly.

"Oh, Heather. I'm worried about you. You've gotten worse since yesterday. I've got the room for another day but I think I'm going to ask for a doctor. I'm really seriously worried about you." The bed moved as Teri sat beside her friend.

"No," Heather said again. She pulled her knees closer to her chest and the move tired her.

"I'm sorry, Heather. I have to. You haven't been right since-" Teri screamed. Her hands flew to her mouth as she stumbled up and away from her friend.

In her sudden fear of being found, adrenaline surged through her and Heather found the strength to face her friend. Heather's eyes were an endless black and her fangs glistened in the dim light filling the room. Her long, curved ears twitched in irritation.

"Jesus Fucking Christ!" Teri screamed.

"Be quiet!" Heather hissed.

Teri slumped to the floor. Her expression and will drained from her, leaving her staring far into the distance. Heather sighed. The outburst had cost her dearly. She hated the way her friend looked. She hated what she'd done to her, even if it so far appeared to wear off without a trace. Heather swallowed and her throat clicked.

"I'm tired, Teri," Heather rasped. She closed her eyes. Her mind was sluggish and she barely realized what she was doing or saying. The world felt no more real than a vivid daydream. "Tired and weak and so thirsty. So..."

Heather slipped back into her dreams.

Teri was there with her. Smiling, happy Teri. They were chasing each other, running and laughing through a brightly lit forest. Heather slowed, leaning against a thick tree trunk. She waved breathlessly at Teri and then sat on an old, gnarled felled tree. Green moss and huge, flat mushrooms spiraled around the massive log.

"Are you okay?" Teri asked. She had flowers braided through her curly black hair. Her eyes glistened with amusement and her dimpled cheeks wore storybook rosy red.

"Yes," Heather answered. Unlike her friend, her cheeks were chalk white. "Just tired from running. Worn out. That's all."

Teri grinned and knelt before her friend. She cupped her hands and Heather was unsurprised to see clear water shimmering in the sunlight.

"I brought water for you," Teri said. Her voice was as steady as her hands.

"Thank you. I am thirsty," Heather told her. She bent to her friend's hands and sipped the water being offered. It was cold and sweet and terrible. A faint grimace flickered across Teri's face but Heather didn't notice. She hadn't realized exactly how thirst she'd been. She reached for her friend's wrists, tilting her hands to drink more easily. Her claws (claws? A part of her mind wondered) dug into her friend's soft wrists while her heavy black wings shaded the kneeling woman. Teri gasped, pleasure and pain mixing on her face.

Heather woke to the deep, rich scent of blood. Teri lay cradled gently in her arms, writhing and moaning as Heather drank deeply from her. Pain and anguish cut through Heather's heart as she realized what had happened. She could feel her friend's heartbeat slowing.

Teri was dying in her arms. Heather tried to pull herself away but her body refused. She railed and cursed herself while savoring every single moment.

Please, Heather prayed. Please, I don't want this. Not Teri. Please. No one answered her. There was no small voice arguing against her. No tiny devil sitting on her shoulder, forcing her to kill her friend. It was just her. She was the one doing it. Please.

Heather struggled against herself. Again and again she threw reasons at herself. Reasons to stop. And, still, still she drank.

A final memory came to mind. Five years ago it'd been reversed. Teri had held Heather in her arms as gently as she was now held. There'd been a bottle of pills and a crushing depression that wouldn't end. Bullying and a feeling of hopelessness for the future. Teri had cried and begged her to stay awake until the ambulance arrived. Heather couldn't remember how her friend had known. Had she called her after she'd taken the pills? Or come over randomly to hang out? She'd wanted to sleep so badly but Teri wouldn't stop. And then lights and noise and she woke up in the hospital. Her mom and dad were there and so was Teri. Her friend's face was puffy and red from crying and so unlike her.

Tears streamed down Heather's face, mixing with the sweet, coppery taste of Teri's blood. Heather threw her head back and howled. Everyone within a mile of the inn collapsed senselessly at the powerful scream. Electrical lines surged and popped, filling the air with an acrid smell while starting six house fires. A large jetliner, on descent to Cluj International Airport lost power and rapidly descended several hundred feet before the engines roared back to life. Wild animals fled the area while pets desperately tried to hide.

Teri's heart beat faintly in her chest. Blood continued to pool down her neck from two large, round wounds that refused to close. Heather bent over her friend. Her lips touched the wounds and she kissed them lightly. Power moved between them.

"Please," Heather whispered, rocking back and forth with her friend held tightly to her chest. "Please don't go. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, Teri."

"I'm," Teri said faintly. "I'm. Cold."

Heather cried out. Her friend's heart was slow but steady and the bite marks had closed. But, more than that, she could feel Teri. As with the bats, there was a place in her head now that she knew belonged to her friend. She could feel the other woman's pain.

"Cold," Teri repeated.

"Shh," Heather whispered. "I know." As gently as possible, Heather pulled the other woman into bed with her, covering them both with her blanket. Teri pressed herself against her friend and immediately fell asleep. Heather kissed Teri's hair. She fought against the inevitable and lost, sliding into her dreams once again. When Teri whimpered in her sleep, Heather subconsciously brought her closer. The sun climbed into the sky while they slept.

-----

Heather's eyes snapped open. She hadn't moved while she slept. Teri was still pressed against her, soft and warm. Heather's right arm wrapped protectively over her friend. In her mind, Teri was a bright point of light, warm and happy and healthy. She didn't need to feel her friend's heartbeat against her hand to know she'd recovered.

Various animals stirred restlessly as she woke. She felt them more strongly now. Rats had come from far away to join nearby packs, pulled in by her influence. At her unspoken command, they kept their distance respectfully. With her eyes closed and her will focused on them, she caught snatches of conversations and oddly distorted images. The large colony of bats had relocated. Southwest of the inn, she knew. Closer to her.

Bran Castle lay nearly directly south. She felt its presence as a dull pressure at the base of her neck. Heather felt tethered to the castle in some way. As darkness began to fall, the link between her and the castle strengthened. And, in turn, it fed her the energy that she felt racing through her veins.

Teri stirred against Heather. The young woman stretched her legs, murmuring something sleepily. Heather felt their connection shifting subtly as her friend woke.

"Oh," Teri whispered. She was still but Heather felt her anxiety as it mixed with fear and curiosity. "It really happened then?"

"Yes," Heather answered quietly. As she focused outside of her mind, she became aware of the activity in the town. Red and blue flashing lights crept through the edges of their curtains. Heather closed her eyes and a thousand tiny black eyes showed her a scene of chaos. Fire trucks, ambulances and police vehicles littered the village. It was difficult to tell through the eyes of the rats but it seemed that police or other government officials were interviewing people. Residents huddled under gray blankets with steaming cups held in their hands. Four buildings lay in smoking ruins.

"Does it- does it hurt?" Teri asked.

"No."

"Are you..."

Heather could feel her friend's sudden rush of worry. The small woman trembled in Heather's arms.

"No. No, I'm not dead." Heather replied.

"Oh, thank god," Teri whispered. "Thank god." The young woman relaxed noticeably. "Was it the bats after all?"

"I think so," Heather said. "I don't remember anything but what else could it be?"

Teri shook in Heather's arms. Heather could feel her overwhelming sadness before the woman's tears fell against the arm she had under Teri's neck.

"I'm s- so s- sorry," Teri hiccupped. "It's all. All my fault. All my fault."

"Stop. It is not," Heather told her gently.

"It is so!" Teri wailed. "I made you come on this trip! I made you go out that night! If you hadn't come this wouldn't have happened. Oh god. Oh god, Heather!"

Heather pressed her forehead against the other woman's neck. Something stirred deep inside of her at the closeness of the woman's skin. The gentle curve of Teri's smooth neck was so close. All she'd have to do is open her mouth and take her. She'd want you to do it, a small voice said.

"I didn't have to go," Heather said. "You don't control my life. I make my own decisions and I won't let you have this one. I am my own person. I told you before; I would've come anyway. Somehow. So, stop."

Teri cried in Heather's arms and Heather felt her own tears fall. She hadn't stopped to wonder at her loss. And how much her life had changed suddenly. At what it might mean for her. Eventually, they calmed.

"Are you okay?" Heather asked. "Do you remember what happened earlier?"

"Only a little," Teri answered. "Pieces of it. You- You-"

"I'm sorry. I'm so terribly sorry, Teri. I didn't know it was happening. I dreamed. I dreamed of us and in my dream you offered me water to drink but... But..."

"Will I die?" Teri asked. Her voice was small.

"I don't know. I don't think so. I don't know what any of this does or what it means. I thought you were dying earlier. It was so hard to stop, Teri. You have no idea. I almost didn't stop. But, I did and you were so weak and cold but you're better now. I can feel you. In my head."

Neither woman spoke for a while.

"I think," Teri said, hesitating. "I think I can feel something, too. It's hard to explain. I think if we were apart, I could close my eyes and point to where you were. It's... it's oddly comforting. Your presence. I thought I'd be scared but I'm not. Is it the same for you?"

"Almost but more. I can feel your emotions. I can feel how strong you are, how healthy you are. You're afraid but relaxing a little. And something small is hurting you?"

"My knee," Teri said. "It always hurts a little when I spoon with people. That's... that's crazy. I guess hide-n-seek is out, isn't it?"

Heather laughed quietly. "Yeah. I don't think that'll work. Do you-" Heather stopped. Among all the things quietly living in her head, a new thing was growing. Where Teri was bright and warm, this new sensation was cold and gray. And yet, she felt a small boost of strength from it. And a sense of familiarity. "Oh, no."

"What? What is it?" Teri asked.

"Last night," Heather said, hesitating. "Last night I... changed. I couldn't control myself. I don't know. Maybe because it was the first night? I killed someone, Teri. A man. I drained him completely and dumped his body deep into the woods. I can see it clearly now but at the time, I couldn't stop myself. Oh, god."

"Oh, Heather," Teri said. Her voice was low and sympathetic. "I'm so, so sorry. You... you weren't yourself. I know you'll-"

"No," Heather interrupted. "I think... I think he's coming back. I need to go to him. He's in my head like you are but it's different. He's so cold. So full of anger and hunger. Teri, I think he's dead."

Heather removed herself from her friend and turned to hide her face when Teri looked over. She felt unusually awkward in her nakedness even though Teri had seen her naked many times over the years.

"Don't," Heather said. "Please don't look at me."

The bed creaked as Teri stood. Heather flinched as the other woman's hand touched her cheek lightly.

"It's okay, Heather. It's okay," Teri said. "I know who you are. You could've killed me but you didn't. It's okay. Please." Heather turned slowly. Teri's eyes searched her face as if she were memorizing it. "Your eyes are super creepy like that but I think your fangs are cool. See? I'm not afraid."

Heather didn't correct her friend's lie. She could feel the other woman's fear through their link. But, it was subdued, almost hidden under a layer of compassion and love. Heather's heart hurt as she watched her friend subconsciously touch the two faded marks on the left side of her neck.

"And look!" Teri continued, looking down. "You have hips! Is it... is it too soon for a 'Monster Mash' dancing joke? Yes? No? Or are you supposed to do waltzes and ballroom dancing instead? Is there a manual somewhere do you think?"

"Oh, Teri," Heather sighed. "I don't know how you can do it. How you can live through all of the terrible things in life and still smile."

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Hunter's Moon
  • /
  • Page ⁨4⁩

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 13 milliseconds