Island Love Ch. 03

Philip thought he might have the advantage in stamina but that Gabriel was probably stronger. He watched carefully for any sign of a weapon and moved sideways to take Isabel out of the line of attack. A quick glance up showed that there was no one else near them on the beach.

"Give over Gabriel. This is stupid. You'll only make more trouble for yourself."

"I'll kill you and tell the police you attacked me. I fucked your wife. She couldn't get enough of me. It was easy. All the girls love me. The police will believe me if I tell them. You were mad with jealousy and you attacked me."

Philip looked into the madman's eyes and it seemed he was telling the truth. Gabriel used this advantage, jumped forward and swung his arm. Philip side-stepped the heavy punch, grabbing the arm and trying to unbalance his attacker. Gabriel wrenched his arm free and there followed a number of quick blows falling on Philip's arm and once on his chest. He absorbed the blows and waited for his moment, slipped another heavy punch and, as Gabriel stumbled forward, swung his own fist into the side of his head.

Gabriel staggered back wiping his face. There was blood from where Philip's nails had scraped his cheek. He was blind with fury.

"That's enough," said Philip. He looked round quickly and was relieved to see that Isabel had gone. "Attacking me can't help you. Don't be a fool."

He didn't see the blow, which was made with something hard. He staggered, lost his balance, fell, and must have lost consciousness because he woke to find the gentle surf breaking over him, the water dragging at his clothes and making his eyes sting. He rolled over and spat out salt water. Hauling himself upright he looked round for Gabriel and saw that he was alone. Feeling his head, he found a large bump above his hairline and remembered that he'd been fighting for his life. Still faint, but as quickly as he could, he got to his feet and began to walk back along the beach.

The crowd around the café had thinned and he looked round for anyone he recognised. Of course he was looking for Isabel. The sun had gone but it was still light and there was a smoky haze over the beach. She was nowhere. He came to the café and sat down at the first empty chair. His eyes closed and his head sank slowly onto his hands. He wasn't unconscious because he could sense the people around him, but he lacked the energy to do anything, even open his eyes. After a while he was disturbed by someone nudging his shoulder.

"Philip, you look as though you need a drink."

It was Tibby. She looked tearful and anxious and was examining him carefully, astonished by what she saw. He took the glass of water she held out.

"What happened to you? You're soaking wet."

"I was slugged by your friend Gabriel."

She dabbed his face with a finger. It was bloody. Philip finished the glass of water and started to feel better. Again he was reminded that Isabel was gone and he looked round again, but without hope.

"Not my friend. Let me find some help for you. You must have that wound looked at," said Tibby.

"I'm okay. It's just a cut."

"Why did Gabriel hit you?"

"He said he'd kill Isabel and I got in his way."

"He's a fanatic and has every reason to hate her. When she was put in charge of purchasing it messed up his little schemes. Where's Isabel?"

"Gone." Philip looked round again.

"What do you mean, gone?"

"Gone back home to her daughter."

"Good. I mean because she's out of this. Oh Philip, it's not too late. Can't we get back together now Isabel's gone? I forgive you. I can look after you. I know it can't be the same as before because I ruined that. I'm weak, I'm a failure. I gave up my husband and the one job I enjoyed, but I didn't know what I was doing. We could be so much better together than alone. You make me a better person."

Philip tried to shake his head but saw stars. "Gabriel said he fucked you. Is that true?"

She sat back, dejected, and did her best to say something. After a bit she said, "I can't lie. It's true, but only in a technical sense. He blackmailed me."

"What do you mean? He raped you?"

"He planted some bar money on me and said I'd stolen it. He'd get me sacked if I didn't go to bed with him."

"You could have said no. There are other jobs."

"Come on Philip, I had nothing."

"You mean it was a choice between fucking a criminal psychopath or admitting your mistake and throwing yourself on your husband's mercy. Or was it because you were lonely? After all, you left me because you wanted new experiences."

She was crying and he was sorry for taunting her. Both knew that this was the end game, that there was no time left for their marriage.

"It was a mistake. He wouldn't leave me alone, he was always where I was working, always demanding I have a drink with him when I finished working and wanted to get to sleep. I found him repulsive - all the girls did. And it happened only once because it was awful and I knew it could never happen again. I played his trick back on him and told him I knew what he was doing and would have him arrested if he tried anything again. After that he hated me and made my job as difficult as he could."

This rang true and Philip felt sorry for Tibby. "You never liked sex very much - apart from the other night when you seemed happy. So you were complicit in his racket."

"What could I do? I had to look out for myself. If it's any satisfaction to you, I have nothing now. The whole place is being evacuated. They'll lay the staff off. I've nowhere to go. I'll have to sleep here on the beach."

"I have to find a taxi. I'll give you a lift to the airport."

"There's not a taxi left for hire on the island. They've been taken by other guests."

"Someone will help you. The owners can't just abandon you here."

"I'll be fine. I must get used to managing by myself."

Despite everything, Philip couldn't pretend that she meant nothing to him. It was necessary to be strong to lead a good life and Tibby's mistakes had been a result of her weakness. He'd been with her a long time and wanted to comfort her. But he knew they had to start their new, separate lives from that moment. It was the end and he was sad. If only he'd not let Isabel get away.

As if reading his thoughts, she said, "Are you sure Gabriel didn't go after Isabel? I wouldn't discount his threats. He's out of control."

Philip's head was suddenly clear. He remembered those empty eyes and the distorted face and knew she was right; that was exactly what Gabriel would try to do. In a panic, he wanted to rush off and stop him. But when he stood up, he felt faint. And where should he rush to?

"How can I find out if she got a taxi?"

"Go to the reception and see whether anybody knows. If the police will let us get there."

Tibby went with him. Both knew the decision about their future had been made - it didn't need saying and they were relaxed together. When he glanced at her, he saw that she was wiping tears from her cheeks. Of course, it could just be the effect of the smoke, which was making his own eyes water.

They skirted the taped cordon put up by the police and came to where Philip had checked in on his first day. No taxis waited and there was no other transport. A couple of policemen and some guests stood idle. Then a large car drove up and stopped in front of the reception. Zoltan and Blister came out of the shadows and went to the car. A moment later Tim and Nicole followed. Philip went over.

"Sorry friend, but we're pressed for space," said Zoltan. "Everybody wants to get to the airport and we've already promised these young honeymooners a lift."

"Has anyone seen Isabel?"

"She was here a while back," said Tim.

"She's gone," said Nicole. "This man arrived. I know him and he's a devil. I thought he was going to attack her, but he saw us and shouted at her instead. She ran off."

Tim spoke. "She said to me, tell Philip I'll be alright."

"But where did she go?"

"Are you talking about the elusive Isabel?" asked Zoltan. "I've had no end of chats with her over a martini but could never draw her on. We offered her a lift, but when this guy started shouting, she ducked through the police cordon and ran back up the hill past the chalets."

"What about the man - Gabriel?"

"He shouted at her a lot then went after her. I guess the police were doing other things."

Philip knew at once that Isabel was walking over the mountain to the other side of the island and the airport. It would cut off about ten miles of road and if she walked all night she might arrive in time for the morning flights. He was also sure that Gabriel would try to stop her.

It was a comfort to recall Isabel's fitness and knowledge of the mountain. As long as she started ahead of Gabriel he'd not catch her. The only danger would be if she dawdled for some reason and he somehow took her by surprise. Philip had a dreadful vision of them fighting on a cliff edge. She wouldn't stand a chance.

"I have to go after her," he said.

"You can't go through there," said the policeman. There's too much smoke and it's dangerous."

"Don't go," said Tibby. "You may still be concussed. Gabriel might hurt you again."

"I have to go."

He was suddenly in a hurry. Tibby held his arm. When he tried to shrug himself free, she snatched her hand away. Once more she was in tears.

"One kiss to say goodbye?" she pleaded. They kissed. "And no hard feelings?"

"I forgive you and I blame myself for lacking the imagination to meet your expectations. We let one another down."

"I'll worry about you on the mountain. Gabriel's a dangerous man."

"It's my world. Gabriel can't take advantage of me there. Take care."

He'd said all this without thought in a rush to get away. But he knew he was right. Their marriage had failed because she had expectations of him that he couldn't fulfil - no one could fulfil. She needed to sort herself out. And yes, he shouldn't fear Gabriel on the mountain.

He ducked under the police tape and jogged up the hill past the chalets, relieved to find that his dizziness was gone. Thick smoke billowed overhead. An eddy in the wind and he'd be in it. He dodged a fire crew and coils of hose drawing water from the swimming pool. Behind him, alone in the fading light, he saw the forlorn figure of Tibby watching him leave.

The gate in the top fence had been unwired and left open, possible evidence that Isabel had come this way - possibly Gabriel too. He set a fast pace and followed the path he'd taken with Isabel. It was a relief to be out of the resort and he was confident that if anyone was on the mountainside, he'd see them before they saw him. The mountains were where he was best, free of all entanglements.

Night was coming fast and the path grew indistinct under foot. Of course, he knew there was a chance he would miss Isabel. She might not follow the route over the summit - there might be a better way to the road that he didn't know. In any case, the higher he climbed, the less he believed that Isabel was in danger. Outside the resort, talk of killing people sounded melodramatic.

He relaxed and slowed down to a pace he could manage all night, examining his surroundings carefully and thinking about what to do. What if he failed to overtake Isabel? In that case he'd continue to the airport in the hope he'd meet here there. What if he came on Gabriel? That wasn't so easy a question. As long as Isabel was free of him, he had no business with Gabriel.

He reached this conclusion moments after a long, arduous climb which helped him to straighten out his thoughts. The path levelled off and he and he watched his feet as he edged round an awkward rocky outcrop. Standing on the path in the gloom ahead of him was Gabriel. Philip halted and glanced down checking whether he wore anything pale that would reflect the light. Gabriel was a quarter of a mile off, staring ahead to where the path curved across a bare stretch of scree. Above were crags, below, a scree of small boulders sloped down to a precipice. A careful search of the mountainside confirmed that Isabel wasn't nearby. He had no reason to confront Gabriel.

Before he could do anything, Gabriel turned and stared as if he'd known he was there. They both stood in the gathering gloom and watched one another across the slope of the mountain. Then Gabriel began to walk back along the path towards Philip. Fight or flight? The rational thing was to disappear on the mountainside and keep watch on Gabriel. But Philip was unable to retreat. He couldn't give this man even the emptiest of victories.

As on the beach, Gabriel was sweating and looked ill. When he was a dozen yards away, he stopped. Philip was calm but he could see that Gabriel held a knife. He took off his pack and wrapped the straps round his left hand so that he could use it as a shield. His own weakness reminded him what was at stake and he bent and picked up a hand-sized lump of feldspar.

"There's no need to fight," he prompted after a minute's silence.

"I don't mind if we fight," came the reply. "You shouldn't have come to the resort and your pretty wife would have shown me a bit more love."

"Take a look at yourself. The girls don't like you because you're violent and selfish. Why would anyone love a man who cheats and coerces people to get his way?"

"I'm a good man. I should have finished you properly on the beach but I thought someone might see. Now we're alone."

"You know you're going to prison. Fighting will make it worse."

"You're another one who thinks you're clever because you went to a fancy school. You think you can tell me what's going to happen. But I know better than you. Shall we see who's right or are you afraid? I take what's mine: money I should have been paid in wages; and your wife, who made a big mistake marrying you. She knows I'm better than you. And now you're going to be punished. I'm going to kill you."

"Don't do it. There's time still to change your life. You can walk away now or regret that you didn't for the rest of your life."

"You'll be dead and nobody will even notice. You think the gorgeous Isabel has dished up the dirt on me? I knew she was evil, but she can't hurt me. You're too late to save your girlfriend. She's gone. Forever. Nobody will know what happened to her - or to you - and they'll never suspect me. I caught her, then I threw her off the cliff. Somewhere over there."

He pointed behind Philip to where the path ran close to a vertical drop. Philip couldn't help himself and looked round. Gabriel lunged with the knife. Philip must have glimpsed the movement because he brought up his arm and the knife hit the bag, it's tip momentarily snagging the fabric. With a bellow of pain and fury, Philip swung his fist and caught his attacker with the lump of mountain. Gabriel staggered and tripped, sliding off the path and losing his balance. As he tried to keep on his feet, the scree moved beneath him. He fell on his back and dug in his elbows to stop the slide, snatching at boulders which moved with the unstable surface. Shocked by the suddenness of events, Philip watched as Gabriel rolled and skidded down twenty yards of slope, loose stones flying around him, came to the edge of the drop and was gone.

Darkness came suddenly. Philip listened for a cry or the sound of a body crashing into rocks, but there was silence. The fight was over so fast that he gazed round the deserted mountainside overcome by a dizzy feeling that he'd dreamed it. High on endorphins but numb with horror, he had to get away. He dropped the stone and jogged recklessly along the path with no plan for what to do. Only when he was beyond a rugged limestone bluff and the scene of the fight was out of sight did he slow down.

A few yards further on he subsided to his knees, borne down by sudden dread of the empty mountainside and the chasm waiting for him ahead in the darkness. He'd found a woman he loved only to let her go. If he'd stayed with Isabel, she'd be alive. She was gone for good and it was his fault.

The pain was too much. He couldn't think about what had happened to Gabriel. He lay on the ground blanketed by silence. In his misery, he turned on his back and looked up at the sky. Nothing made sense. Just visible in the near darkness an eagle or osprey rose above him on a current of air. He fancied he was carried on the draught with the bird and watched until it was out of sight.

From out of the silence words came into his head: "Isabel's alive." He thought about it and spoke the words aloud: "Isabel's alive." It sounded true. She'd never have let Gabriel catch her. Gabriel had said she was dead as a way to distract him. The plan had worked and he'd survived only because he was fighting for his life.

Eventually he sat up and looked round. The moon had risen above the haze and he could see the mountain around him. The scorched air was lifeless and nothing moved. After a bit he realised that the col above him was familiar. He was near the cave where he and Isabel sheltered from the storm. Hauling himself to his feet he stumbled away from the path, trying to recall the route they'd taken coming the other way. He came to a thicket of thorn and herbs sheltered in the lee of the scarp. Pushing through the undergrowth he saw broken twigs and trampled thyme bushes and then the entrance to the little cave. A pale patch reflected the moonlight and he picked up a sheet of paper held down by a stone. With the light from his phone he saw it was a note written on paper torn from an address book.

It took a moment to understand what he was reading. "Here for one night we were among the gods and anything was possible. A special place where everything came alive. But love comes at too high a price for mere mortals. Philip, we were good but it was a fantasy."

Tears fell onto the page. Philip crumpled the note, then straightened it out and folded it into his wallet. Isabel had written the note for him. She'd put down the words she couldn't tell him to his face. But what they'd had wasn't a fantasy, it was the truth. She'd understood him no better than he understood her. She'd accused him of seeing only his own idealised vision of her, and yet she'd done the same to him: she'd seen what she expected to see instead of the individual. She believed neither of them was able to commit to one another. Her reluctance to take a risk and see the truth had guided her actions.

After a while he realised that the note was evidence that she was alive when she left the path, which must have been at a point beyond the place where Gabriel said he'd killed her. And she had no reason to return to the path after writing the note - she'd have carried on to the summit taking the reverse of the route they used on the night of the storm.

He lay on their bed of thyme and oregano, which was now dry and itchy, and did his best to relax. He closed his eyes ready to sleep, only to get up at once, his tiredness vanishing as he realised what he had to do. There was no time to waste. He must to get to the airport before she left - the note made that clear. Grabbing his bag he hurried outside. The moon, nearly full, was now high in the sky and it would rise higher as he walked. He looked at his watch and he had eight hours before the first morning flights.

He climbed to the summit and examined the inland valley along which the road passed, doing his best to scout the best way down the mountainside. He fixed on a couple of the most prominent landmarks on the opposite hills, a round-contoured summit and a ridge line split by a long vee-shaped valley. Isabel would have noted them too. As long as he kept them ahead as he descended, he must eventually come to the road. Then it would be a twenty-mile hike to the airport.

It was midnight when he reached the road. The descent had been easier than the climb, a scramble off the summit with the moon overhead, an easy route across an upland plateau and a path down a river gorge. Exercise was a welcome alternative to thought and he walked without resting. Occasionally he broke into a jog. As the road opened up round every bend and over every high point Philip searched for Isabel ahead of him, but he was alone.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 19 milliseconds