Lady in the Rain Ch. 02

The old leather chair creaked as my dad got up and left the room. When he returned, I stood and met him half-way across the living room as he handed me what I had asked for placing it carefully in my palm.

"I know I haven't said this to you enough, Peter, but I am proud of you. Proud of the man you've grown into and proud to see you taking charge of your life. I know you have to make the decisions that feel right to you, and your mom and I might not always agree with them, but at the end of the day, it's your life. I don't think you've chosen the easiest path, but I do think you're right about the person you're looking to have to walk it with you."

"Thanks, Dad," I said fighting back the tears that I figured he would find uncomfortable anyway.

I could tell by my mom's expression she wasn't sold on it, but at least she seemed willing to be open minded.

Susie came over and threw an arm around me, "Now you just have one tough conversation left to have tonight."

"Don't I know it," I said.

Ruth was punctual as usual arriving at 6:00 p.m. on the dot. My dad answered the door, and I heard the sound of their laughter in the foyer which made me feel a little better hoping that her good mood would stay with her. My heartbeat picked up when she walked in as it always did. She had her hair down today framing the face that I had come to love more than any other.

"Something smells good," said Ruth sniffing the air.

"Casserole," I replied, "Mom and Susie are putting the finishing touches on dinner, but I wondered if I could speak to you outside first."

Ruth gave me a quizzical look but followed behind me as I led her out into my parents back yard.

"We didn't make it out here when you were visiting last," I said as I shut the back door behind us.

"It's stunning," she remarked admiring my mother's rose garden that ran along the back fence and the small grove of fruit trees on the right side of the yard where Mom picked apples and oranges in the summer.

I took her hand and led her to the solitary elm tree that marked the left side of the yard near the high stone fence my grandfather had built himself by hand many years earlier.

"Growing up Susie and I always called this the 'Grandpa Tree'," I said laying one hand on the trunk.

"Sounds like there is a story there."

"There is indeed. A very important piece of family history. See, before my Grandpa wed my Grandma they both lived in the city. When he was courting her, as they used to say, he would bring her for picnics out here in the country, and their favorite spot was under this elm tree. After they married, my Grandpa leased the land from the city and built this house right here, and it has been in my family ever since."

"What a lovely story," said Ruth admiring the old tree in a new light.

"There is a bit more to it than that. When Grandpa proposed to Grandma, he did it right here under this elm tree, later when my dad proposed to my mom he did it in the same place."

"How romantic," she said with a smile.

"I glad you think so," I said as my voice started to shake.

My hands were even worse, and it took me two tries to get the small box my dad had given me out of my pocket. I flipped back the lid revealing the ring that lay inside.

"This was the ring my Grandpa gave to Grandma, and now, it's the ring I very much want to give to you."

I dropped awkwardly to one knee holding the box up to Ruth whose face had frozen in shocked surprise, "Will you marry me, Ruth?"

In all the time I had known her I had never seen Ruth speechless, but she sure was then just staring at me kneeling in front of her.

"It's kind of customary to give an answer, unless you want to think about it," I prodded.

"Oh...Oh! Peter I...Oh my God! Baby...I'm just...Are...Are you sure this is what you want?"

"It's all I've thought about since we got back. I love you, Ruth, and I want to spend the rest of my life showing you how much."

"Peter, I love you too, but...Your parents..."

"They gave me the ring to give to you. They're on board with this, so how about you?"

It was only a slight stretch of the truth, but I was pretty sure Mom would embrace it with time. Ruth had a way of winning anyone over to her side.

Her hand was shaking almost as much as mine when she reached out toward me.

"Yes...Yes, Peter...I'll marry you! I love you so much..."

I got lucky and managed to slide the ring home on her finger on my first attempt. It fit surprisingly well.

Ruth held her hand up, the diamonds in the ring catching the last rays of the setting sun.

"It's beautiful, Peter."

"So are you," I said pulling my wife-to-be up against me for a sweet, soft, kiss.

The sounds of clapping came from behind us, and we turned in embarrassment to find my family watching us from the back porch. Susie ran down toward us and threw her arms around Ruth's neck.

"Welcome to the family!" she said kissing her on the cheek.

Ruth was crying now, tears of joy thankfully, as my parents joined us and gave her hugs of their own. It was as perfect a moment as I could have hoped for in my wildest dreams.

"How about some dinner? We don't want that casserole to get cold," suggested my dad.

As a group, we started to head back inside with Ruth and I trailing just a bit behind. I had my arm around her shoulders and stopped her just short of the porch as the others went inside.

"Is everything alright?" asked Ruth as she watched me looking around at the sky.

"It's all good, Sweetheart. I just...Well, I was kind of thinking that the only way this moment could have been more perfect was if it was pouring down rain right now."

Ruth laughed, and my lady in the rain pulled me into another kiss, the first of many more to come.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 62 milliseconds