Life as a New Hire: Cast and Notes (May)

History vs back ground vs Character development: I haven't meant it to be this way, but so far in the 10,000 words I've written in Chapter 36, it is about 85% conversation, 10% Background and 5% historical stuff (normally used to put the background stuff into context).

To be clear, in my interpretation History is 'why the world works this way' material. For instance, what happened during the Second Betrayal and how it influences the current Amazons, or what is happening in the 'Unification War' because that determines how much interest/weight Cael has with various factions. History explains why two trained professional British military experts are hanging around with a guy fresh out of a liberal arts college no one has ever heard of. Delilah and Chaz can't hang out with Cael because he's 'cool'. They have jobs and are responsible to their government.

Background is explaining what happens between scenes and beyond Cael's immediate perceptions. As an example, what was happening with Odette as she learned the fates of Charlotte and Vincent, two of her new friends? Who helped her cope? Vincent is being flow to Germany. That wasn't Cael's doing. Javiera is handling the calls to the Vincent's daughters. Mona works with the Romanian medics ~ off scene yet important to the main story. Chapter 36 picks up in Rome. The background material gives a short catalog of events of how they got there.

Character Development includes conversations, Caelisms, person and place descriptors and how Cael thinks. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cael's instincts are good, but he does make mistakes and misjudges people and events. Do not take everything he thinks and says as gospel. He can be wrong. He knows it and I want to readers to understand that as well.

I'm pretty freaking unstable right now...

To Anonymous and their idea of political rants: I'm a Right of Center Republican. In theory I'm a Christian yet if 'God' tells me to vote for a specific someone, I'm not going to the polls. I'm having the wife drive me to the mental hospital. Beyond that, I have friends all over the political spectrum. I'm pro-Gun, pro-Choice, pro-Defense and generally pro- things that provided freedom of choice and put the burden on personal responsibility.

I once had the Dali Lama (no public figure is safe from me) "Government is what happens when people stop thinking for themselves".

I believe that government has a purpose and that is to navigate the waters of the desires of their citizens balanced with what needs to be done. As far as I know, there is no EPA or Education mandate in the US Constitution and is Amendments. Still, corporations were allowed to police their environmental policies without government interference for over a century and that was a disaster. The Constitution is meaningless if the US become uninhabitable. Higher standards of education make good economic and military sense. A smarter workforce is more productive. Smarter soldiers make better use of the high-tech equipment that becomes part of their daily lives while in service. That's not in the Constitution yet clearly in our Nation's best interest.

And both those things can be abused. If the EPA has the unrestricted power to shut industries down, what do we do with the unemployed? What happens when Federal Educational funding comes with strings attached concerning what can and cannot be taught based on religious or political agendas?

In my experience, few things are clear-cut in life. Few things in Life as a New Hire are that easy either. Who foresaw the Cael-Rhada relationship in Chapter One? Who suspected Buffy had a softer side? Who thought Hayden would chose suicide as a means of saving her People?

From the story POV, Cael is non-political. A theme in this story is that you trust people, not letterheads. There is good government people who seek justice and bad government types who abuse their power. There are good corporate types who feel they have an obligation to help others and evil corrupt entities that are completely carnivorous.

Pamela is best described as a Libertarian, but then look at her personality and profession ~ she single-handedly hunts down and kills people. That tends to make a person a tad bit self-reliant.

The Amazons are actually a very socialist organization. Universal healthcare, education and employment - for themselves. All leadership positions are based on merit, not nepotism. Even though the High Priestess is chosen by the Goddesses, the Goddesses have to choose from the candidates who prove themselves in the run up to the selection. Amazons are taken at their word. Wealth means little to them as all their needs are provided by 'the State'. There is the whole issue with the prejudice with the 'Runners'...and that's being addressed by the Goddesses and the power structure. The fall of Hayden pretty much showed that the Goddesses want the 'Houses' to respect their oaths to the 'Runners' thus bringing about true equality throughout the system.

I pick on the PRC a great deal because they are freaking HUGE and can take a pounding. A shootout in the Vatican City would be over way too fast. In another story of mine ~ over 400,000 words ~ there is a civil war in Russia and internment camps in the United States.

Why do I pick on governments? As a person living in the US, I love our Democratic Republic. Sure, it has its problems, but it is still the best form of government there is for a country this size. In fiction, governments have tons of money and millions of employees. People can rise to positions where they can abuse their power and get drunk on the sensation of making the 'little people' dance.

The same goes for corporations. Like most governments, they are not intrinsically evil, but they can be played that way. Again, they have gobs of money and can go to extremes to fatten up the bottom line.

A person's personal wealth, gender, religion, and profession do not determine if they are good, bad, or indifferent. Can an assassin be good? Well, is killing people who commit crimes yet remain above the standard legal systems a good act, or not? Is killing one person to save thousands a good deed? Things are rarely clear cut.

Take an illegal immigrant veteran construction worker. He knows the cement he is pouring is not the proper grade for the foundation of the building he is working on. He knows it is a cheap substitute that the construction manager is using to pad his own pockets. He knows the building will be at much greater risk of collapsing. He also knows that if the building does collapse, they won't be the one catching the blame. He knows he has a wife and two young kids to support. He knows if he brings this to the attention of the authorities, he will most likely lose his job and be deported along with his family ~ back to a far more dangerous place. He decides to keep his mouth shut and never let his family, or any of the families of his friends come to this building once it is complete. He pours the substandard concrete and goes on with his life. Does that make him evil? Sure the construction manager is committing the crime, but the worker knows he is doing a bad thing as well and letting it happen. So?

In this tale there are only two absolutes: Alal is the most powerful human being on the planet because of his 5000 years of life experience...and, Katrina Love is the smartest person in the room - always.

The Black Lotus

I apologize. I left that unclear. Katrina didn't tell the CIA and MI-6 the precise detail of the Black Lotus. In fact, the name wasn't used - multiple governments use wireless intercepts. Here is what happened - Javiera received the information about the explosions in China then contacted Katrina to see if her Amazon ally could provide any extra info. When the details of the two female 'Resistance-fighter's suicide, Katrina informed Javiera that this was the work of the 9 Clans. Javiera already know the bare-bones basics of the 9 Clans. The Black Lotus had become an active player, capable of launching missions on the Chinese mainland. With Katrina's approval, Javiera spread the word. Both the CIA and MI-6 expressed interest in learning more...then Katrina called Cael's tiny diplomatic team in Japan. The Amazon ambassador talked to the Ninja and the Ninja reached out to their contacts in the Black Lotus. With the Black Lotus on board (and accepting their own personal Amazon envoy), not only will they feed the Amazons data through the Ninja, the CIA and MI-6 can ask for specific things to be done inside China...by way of asking Javiera to ask Katrina/the Amazons to ask the Black Lotus. That way, the Intelligence agencies are clear of any wrong doing. The CIA and MI-6 are a little frustrated that the Amazons will only deal with Javiera and her team and no one else for now. Of course, if the Black Lotus proves useful to the CIA and MI-6, they might feel obliged to help the Black Lotus out in the future. The reason that the Amazons are only using Javiera is both a matter of trust and he realistic fear that the Illuminati, Egyptian Rite, Condos and 7Ps might try to insinuate themselves in the process. All of this espionage chicanery was itself accelerated by Cael's deal between the Russians and the Khanate. Within hours of the UK/US getting the plans for "Operation Funhouse", Russian and Khanate troops were on the move. The whole Amazon-Javiera network is clearly for real and capable of delivering. Wheels within wheels.

Why Some House Heads are still alive after Hayden's decree

First off, Madi is alive. She was a Traditionalist, but not a Cult of Blood Purity fanatic, like Ursula. In their very first meeting, Madi suggested to Katrina that Cael be given over to her because she admired his spirit and thought he would be a good 'breeding male'. She was acting out of Amazon tradition. Ursula was acting against the judgment of the Council and the High Priestess. Hayden's list eliminated the lunatic fringe who would have let the Amazons die before sacrificing her ideals. Hayden had to get remove them. All the lunatic fringe were in the Traditionalist faction, but not all Traditionalists were lunatic fringe.

What has Hana agreed to?

Hana hasn't agreed to anything, yet. Through mainly Buffy's efforts, she's been made aware of Cáel's predilections and obligations. As of the end of this chapter, she is aware that Cáel is willing to try and make their relationship more than a thing of convenience. The 'boy' is passionate, compassionate and a bit immature. She now knows Cáel will try to make her happy because he wishes to, not because he feels sorry for the situation he's placed her in. Hana has NOT agreed to polygamy. What will the future hold? Well, we shouldn't forget that certain women think Cáel belongs to them and see Hana as an obstacle.

Riverwolf0222 - Odette

Odette is living the dream and writing checks her body can't cash. That being said, if you go back to her second 'date' with Cael, her adaptability is evident. Roll forward to her dealing with Oneida plus Slayer of Testicles One and Two. Then there is our introduction to Delilah. Odette sensed something was wrong yet risked herself for Cael. Odette has nearly boundless enthusiasm and courage. Add that to the fact she can't truly comprehend the danger Alal represents and hopefully her actions in 36 make more sense. In Cael's morally grey world, Odette is one of the few, uncomplicated, upbeat, decent people he knows. He needs her and she knows it.

The Hunt

By the time the Hunt comes around Cael's reaction will probably be - "Thank Dot! I'm finally getting a vacation!" Felix: "Dude, thirty Amazons are going to hunt us down." Cael: "Trust me. Compared what my life has been like for the past 84 days, this is Paradise." Felix: "That disheartening. Let's go kick some Amazon ass. You'll feel better."

Hana

It was 'decided' that they would tell Cael that someone made an attempt on Hana's life, but to withhold the extent of the danger she was in. From the opinions of Hana, the E&S person on the scene and the Ghost Tigers, they had everything in hand. Distracting Cael would have been counter-productive. He's got to prep himself for the trials coming up over the next month. He's got to ensure the issue with the two Dragon houses is settled and confirm the status of the JIKIT(ies) ~ that the 9 Clans, Earth & Sky and Amazons feel comfortable. The previous three Chapters have formed the basis for the trust they have for Cael ... and to a lesser extent each other. The Great Khan has made the decision to focus Khanate interest through Cael. Hana was a nice bonus. The 9 Clans know that Cael has fought heroically in five major shoot outs, proving his worth as a 'young' leader, thoughtful and brave. Considering at one point the Amazons voted for Cael to spend the rest of his life in a cage. Since then, he has resurrected a Dead Fist House, saved hundreds of Amazon young at great risk to himself. Then he pushed Hayden until she perished and destroyed the 'Cult of Purity. Then Cael became Chief Diplomat, killed tons of Europeans, including Ajax. After only a few days on the job, he had Amazons teaming up with the 9 Clans in Japan. The effort in Tibet was a much bigger and more coordinated plan that played to the strengths of all involved. Now, by building up the background, I can now show a heavily burdened Cael leaning on his best friends - Timothy, Odette and Aya to help him out. And, a whole new cast of women to pursue and to pursue him. Seeing how I've been up for the past 42 hours without sleep, I should try to crash.

The House Illuyankamunus / SzélAnya Conundrum

Yes, I know it is confusing, so I'll go back to the beginning of Amazon history: By the time the Amazon's formed their first houses, the God Illuyankamunus was already dead. Before dying, he had a daughter, SzélAnya, who was half-Hittite deity and half Cosmic Dragon. He gets killed the then Lord of Hittite pantheon in prehistoric times. Step forward to the Amazon exodus form their initial homeland on the southern shore of the Black Sea. A few Amazons, with the aid of the Goddess SzélAnya, form a new House, which the Goddess wants named after her fallen father - Illuyankamunus. To be of the bloodline of SzélAnya, you must have the blood of her sons in you. That means only the daughters of her sons (her granddaughters) can be Amazons of her house. Her great-granddaughters were adopted into other houses. That WAS House Illuyankamunus' dirty little secret. Step forward to the Second Betrayal and the slaughter of all the males ~ Illuyankamunus fought the decision, but gave in when the Host overwhelmingly voted for the Death Sentence. They accepted their own extinction. Except - one male of the house survived accidentally. He had sons and daughter who kept up the TRUE line House Illuyankamunus. The Amazon House of the same name found a means of survival without their matron Goddess which hasn't been revealed yet. The High Priestesses and Keepers of the Records have to have known this ... so ... 2500 years ago House Illuyankamunus accepted the judgment which guaranteed their own extinction. Now, fate has given them a second chance and, in a way, they are voting in a manner that could result in their destruction yet again.

To clarify, to be an Amazon of House SzélAnya (and the ancient House of Illuyankamunus (3000 years ago), you had to be a daughter of a man of the SzélAnya bloodline. The Goddess has been constantly replenishing (aka mating with her human males about every 5 generation. Later she gives those men their 'newborn' sons to raise. Sons who are part dragon, divine and mortal human. If that man's child is a daughter, she becomes an Amazon. If the child is a son, he carries on the bloodline. That 'grandson's daughter will become the next generation of Amazons and the grandson's sons will carry on the bloodline. The granddaughters' offspring are NOT RELATED to the House at all.

That means the Professor Loma and his two sons are the future of House SzélAnya, not the Lovasz sisters. The Lovasz sister's father died in a train accident ... think about that. The sisters qualify as being Amazons of the house though ~ so they can protect their males until the next generation grows to maturity. The Professor's daughter, Djiana, would also qualify. Djiana could also qualify as a member of House Hylonome, because her mother had been (even though a renegade), just like Desiree qualified for House Epona.

Felix

When I first read this chapter I was pissed at Felix too. However when I communicated this to FS he set me straight. I enclose his reply to me so you can understand the situation and realize what monsters the Amazons truly are.

From FS:

Felix was acting as Katrina's agent. He knew the whole deal and was glad he was chosen ~ more people should get the "Real Melena" aesthetic. Katrina needed someone to handle the upfront meeting ~ to put a face to the treason and who better than Felix?

Felix wasn't the bad guy here. He even found a way to get Aya and Cael their phone memory cards, Cael his honor blade and his gifts for Dot Ishara.

Felix was also 'Cael's out'. Katrina knew the moment he saw Felix that this was all Katrina's doing. There was no way Felix could pull this off himself and no Amazon at Havenstone would trust him to be part of a true conspiracy. Had Cael called out for Felix to help, an Elsa-led Amazon team would have swarmed the building, ending the mission.

By handing over both Cael and Aya, Felix has guaranteed that his 'traitor team' is a credible source of information inside Havenstone. This way, Katrina can guess 7P intentions toward the Amazons by what information the 7P ask for. At the key moment, Katrina can feed them truly damaging data and make them bleed. This is all a plan by Katrina to fuck with the 7P. You know when she makes her move, they will bleed and bleed and bleed.

And Yes, Katrina threw Aya out there to sell the lie. Both Aya and Cael understand that and Aya knows that she is fulfilling the role of every other Amazon by risking her life for the host. Cael knows the same thing, but is still angry about it. Not so angry that he cancelled the mission though.

I hope this helps. FS

Aya, Goddesses and Cael returning to Havenstone

Aya will not be healed. She will bear that scarring for the rest of her life. I have consulted with several real-world female archers and they have guaranteed me Aya will have no significant difficulty shooting a bow. She is a daughter of Epona, not Ishara, so it is not the place for Dot Ishara's to meddle with (or heal) Aya. Even more, Amazons value their scars. Aya will still take her 12th year test with all her other age-mates. She wouldn't want it any other way. Not only has she adopted Cael's humility, she truly believes she only acted as a true Amazon would ~ nothing special (she's wrong, but she likes to think the most of her sisters). As a reader commented above, Cael couldn't have done what he did without Aya and Aya drew strength from Cael. It should also noted that someone else thinks the world of Aya and her abilities ~ Katrina. She supplied Cael an Amazon to stand at his side, hiding in plain sight. Aya was even compassionate enough to warn Mu and Zhen what a colossal mistake they were making by letting either of them (Aya and Cael) live. The Seven Pillars people mocked her over that (off-screen) until the very end. Aya is a Winner.

On the topic of Goddesses ~ this is pretty much it for a while. What I've tried to project is that the world has a supernatural element, but magic in all its forms is highly dangerous to manipulate. Technology is almost always the better option.

As for Cael and Havenstone: There is one last side-trip planned (Brazil). A cease-fire is about to break out, giving the world some breathing space and more of a chance for the professionals to take the lead in JIKIT. Cael will get to return to being an intern until the great hunt. He also has to integrate Saku and Kwen, and the new House SzélAnya into Havenstone culture. That's more than enough to keep him busy at home. Let's not forget Felix. Those two have to get a game plan for dealing with the Great Hunt if either of them is going to win. And 'No'. The two guys can't smuggle Aya into the target area with them. Too many Amazons will be on the lookout for that. Nor may Aya participate in the Great Hunt ~ she's still too young.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 21 milliseconds