Now or Never: Escape to Freedom

"Ry this guy is demented. You don't need to get involved any further with this." The doctor replied.

"I'm 23 years old, get over yourself Mikey! I'm a grown man so get over the big brother crap." Ryan spat back.

"Ryan and Michael this is not the time or the place." Shelly shot her sons a look of annoyance.

"Okay fine. I'm just warning you he's really banged up and you never know how people are going to behave when they're in pain." Michael replied.

When they entered the room Ryan sat next to Austin who was hooked up to wires and tubes, only Michael knew the functions of. Shelly stood with tears in her eyes. Even though she had only known Austin for a few days her heart went out to him. She could not grasp how someone could hurt another person who didn't do anything to deserve it. She pictured one of her own sons lying in a hospital and how awful it would be if they were alone.

"How long is he goin' to have to stay here?" Shelly asked her eldest son.

"It all depends. There are insurance issues, and safety concerns. We're a small hospital; they are going to want to transfer him after he's stable if he has no insurance. That's standard procedure here. I'd estimate two days, before that happens. The problem is once he leaves here he's going to need a lot of attention; time and attention. Where's he from?"

"New Jersey but he was running to Florida to make a new start." Ryan answered his brother.

"That won't be happening anytime soon."

"We'll have to help him until that time comes."

Michael studied his brother then let his eye rest on his mother. Deciding he would speak with them individually later, "Okay. I have to go make my rounds I'll stop back by when I'm done."

"Ryan, I'm goin' home and talk to your father about somethin'. Do you want to come with me?" Shelly asked.

"No, I want to stay here in case he wakes up. I don't want him to wake up alone after what he went through."

She kissed him on the head and left the room. Ryan sat listening to the sounds of the machines and prayed Austin was going to be okay.

*****

Austin woke the next day. He was covered under Eric's insurance through the prison. Michael worried the coverage would be dropped and Austin would have a large medical debt. Ryan remained true to his word and spent most days and nights in Austin's room. He brought in his childhood copy of The NeverEnding Story and read to him. On the sixth day the phone in the room rang. Ryan answered.

"Shit kicker, tell my bitch I'll see him soon," then the line went dead.

Ryan looked at the drugged, sleeping Austin and left the room. He had to speak to his brother and mother, that crazy bastard knew exactly where Austin was.

The three Davenport's gathered in his room a few hours later and Michael explained he was being discharged. Michael prescribed pain killers and muscle relaxers with very specific directions for their administration and his care. Austin protested, but there was nothing he could do in the face of their overwhelming determination. He would stay with them until he was well enough to travel to Florida. If he was not so worn down from trying to argue with them and the drugs he would have noticed he exited through the back of the hospital; when the car left the parking lot seven other cars followed them, each making different turns on the way back to Levy.

When they pulled up to the house he was shocked. The Davenport home was a stately antebellum house.

"Don't be impressed, it's just four walls." Shelly said as she noted his expression.

Austin wanted to ask her questions about her 'four walls' but he couldn't focus. When the car pulled up to the front of the house all he could do was stare at the massive steps, stairs were his latest nemesis. It took him a few minutes to climb them, even with assistance every step he took caused pain to shoot through his body. He made it into the house to face a grand stair case. Shelly read the look of dread on his face and told him he would be staying in one of the first floor bedrooms. She set him up in one of the back bedrooms facing the open field. She explained it had a wonderful view and caught a nice breeze in the afternoon. Austin was more than relieved when he sat down on the edge of the king sized bed; the pain was starting to get unbearable.

"Would you like somethin' to eat hun?" Shelly asked as she opened the French doors to let in some fresh air.

"No thank you. I think I just want to take my pills and lie down." Austin said as he gazed around the large plush bedroom.

"Okay. If you need anythin' you just Ryan or I know." She said with that warm smile.

Austin climbed onto the bed and tried to get comfortable. He fell in love with the bed; it felt like he was lying on a cloud. It wasn't long before he was asleep. He slept for three dreamlessly drugged hours before Shelly knocked on his door.

"Come in." Austin croaked.

"I'm sorry to wake you but I want to change your bandages before I head to the bar." Shelly said as she entered the room.

"It's okay. I shouldn't sleep too much or I won't tonight." Austin said as he struggled to get up.

Shelly took great care in removing the old bandages and applying the new ones. Austin was very grateful for her caring touch and said so.

"Oh, I'm very familiar with injuries, mostly because I would have to patch my daddy up once a month. I can't recall a week without him bein' in a bar beat up or me havin' to go pull him out. He was the town drunk." Austin sat in stunned silence as she spoke and worked.

"My grandmother, we called her Sweet Ma, sunk every dime into coverin' the destruction he'd cause. Once the tab got so big at the Waterin' Hole, she just said to hell with it, and bought the place. He could drink for free."

"I'm sorry." Austin didn't know what to say, but her childhood sounded horrible.

"For what? My daddy was a self destructive man, and Sweet Ma and Old Pa were fools, but they loved me. I only mention it because I want you to know that I understand wrestlin' with conflicted feelins about people who you love. Those are big issues. You can stay here as long as you need. You understand me hun?"

Austin could only nod. He would cry if he tried to use his voice

"Okay I'm off to the bar. If you need anythin' just let Ryan know and he will take care of it. Goodnight hun."

Not long after she left the need for a smoke became all powerful. He climbed out of bed and made his way to his suitcase. It hurt like hell when he knelt down unzipped it and searched for his beloved smokes. He questioned whether it was really worth the pain for a stupid cigarette? After he went onto the porch and lit up he knew the answer was yes. He sat in the silence and looked out onto the open field lost in a daze. It wasn't until he heard Ryan's voice did he snap out of his trance.

"I'm sorry to walk in on you but I knocked and you didn't answer." Ryan said as he sat down next to Austin.

"It's okay. It's your house you come and go as you please." Austin said as he took another drag.

"How're you feeling? Do you want something to eat?" Ryan asked.

"No I'm good. I think these pills kill my appetite."

"Hey do you have one I can bum?" Ryan asked as he pointed toward the cigarette.

"You smoke?"

"Yeah, I just ran out."

"Okay." Austin said as he handed him the pack.

"Our family used to be tobacco farmers; this house has been in our family since pre-civil war."

"This is the house tobacco built?"

"Yes and no. It was a real wreck, moms been restoring the old place all her life, dad and I make sure the ranch runs smoothly. What we live on comes from bar profits and horse. Tobacco and wealth were generation ago, this place is an echo I guess."

"Now I really feel awful, like I'm interfering with your lives."

"No you're not, you see the size of this place, so you know we have lots of room. And I couldn't leave you alone after what I saw," Ryan looked at Austin's healing face. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry for what happened to you the other day. And for your safety you should know we rushed you out of the hospital because Eric called the room. He knew exactly where you were." Ryan said as he lit the cigarette.

Surprisingly Austin was not surprised to know Eric found him. Eric always got what he wanted, and he wanted him back. "It's okay. It's not your fault. I should've known better than to think I could run away from Eric. I'm only delaying the inevitable, with a tracker on my car or not he'll find me I know it. I got what I deserved."

"Aw horseshit! I'm sorry, but no one deserves to be beaten like you were, and I know that wasn't the first time he's done it. I hope you aren't thinking about going back to him?"

"Do I really have a choice? No matter what I do or where I go he'll always follow me. I don't want to spend the rest of my life running from someone." Austin said as he hung his head in defeat. "I don't want to live the rest of my life in fear; that the next knock at the door could be him, or the car that is behind me could be him." Austin started to cry.

"Austin please don't cry, I didn't mean to upset you. I'm scared for you. I've never seen anything like that before in my life. When I heard him in your room I actually was going to leave, but I grabbed my gun and the next thing I knew I was kicking in the door. If he hadn't of stopped I would have killed him." Ryan said as he put his arm around Austin.

"I'm sorry I haven't had anyone stick up for me like that, thanks." Austin said and moved to return the hug, but pain shot through his chest and he pulled back.

"You okay?!" Ryan asked.

"No, no oh god it hurts." Austin hissed.

"Shit! I'm sorry I forgot about your broken ribs. Mikey said to not let the pain pills out of your system, so let's get you back to bed and I'll get you something to take the pills with." Ryan did not wait for an answer as he ushered Austin to bed. He bore Austin's weight effortlessly, and Austin could feel the strength of his hard muscles.

Ryan left him sitting on the edge of the bed and ran to the kitchen returning with milk, puzzled to find him sitting exactly where he left him.

"You don't want to go to bed?"

"Yeah, but I can't get undressed by myself." Austin turned scarlet as he shared his dilemma. He hadn't thought twice about Shelly helping him, but the thought of Ryan undressing him made his heart race.

Ryan smiled, "I'm not so dumb to think you can do it alone. My brother is your doctor, my dad and me work on a ranch and my mom's bandaged up plenty of people at the bar. We have healing workshop with the horses so we know what taking care of folks entails and volunteered to help you. In fact mom left the hospital the first night to clear it with dad. Relax and let me help you, okay?"

Sheepishly Austin nodded his head. If only Ryan knew why he was hesitant to have him remove his clothes, he may not feel so charitable. He sat on the edge of the bed and Ryan slowly removed his shirt, taking special care not to hit his ribs. He then took off Austin's shoes and socks and set them away from the bed so Austin wouldn't trip on them. Then came the part Austin was worried most about; Ryan had Austin stand and he started to unbutton his jeans. Austin could feel his cock start to harden and he was praying that Ryan wouldn't notice. He tried to conjure pictures of Eric, or road kill but nothing worked. He ordered his renegade member to go down, mentally explaining to his body part that Ryan was a very nice straight guy but even the nicest of straight guys have their limits, and a rock hard cock in his face was it.

Ryan did not give Austin any indication he noticed the semi-hard on once his jeans were off. He didn't want to embarrass him, and could think of no easy way to reassure him. What did disturb him were the older bruises his brother had mentioned. He also noticed scars on his legs. Some were noticeable and others you had to really look for to see them. He started to get a lump in his throat realizing that the abuse had been going on for a while. Ryan helped him into the bed and pulled the covers up for him.

"Are you sure that you don't want anything to eat?" Ryan asked as he sat on the other side of the bed.

"No, I really am good. Thanks though." Austin said, could feel his pills starting to kick in.

Ryan sat and began reading from where he left off. He wasn't making swift progress; he stopped whenever Austin went back sleep. It wasn't long before his steady breathing let him know he was out. He was seized by nightmares not soon after Ryan left his side. He dreamt he was back in the motel and Ryan had come to his rescue but this time Eric got the gun and shot Ryan. Eric then turned to him and told him he wanted him to watch his little county boy die before he ended his miserable life. Austin woke screaming and was covered from head to toe in sweat. Ryan rushed into the room.

"Austin, what's the matter? Are you hurt?"

"I...I had a nightmare." Austin said as he broke down in tears.

"Do you want to tell me about it?"

"It's too horrible to talk about." Austin sobbed through the pain of his broken ribs.

"It's okay you don't have to talk about it. You're safe here. I'll stay with you."

After he started to calm down he felt very grungy from waking up in a sweat and he wanted a shower. He told Ryan that he wanted to take a bath to get clean. Ryan immediately phone Michael, who agreed it would be alright as long as he was monitored in the bathroom. Ryan told him that he was going to help with his bath and Austin protested.

"Mikey's orders and I'm not going to have you slip and fall trying to get in or out." Ryan told him.

Austin wished he hadn't mentioned the bath; there was no way he could be bathed by Ryan and not react. Straight or not he wanted him in the worst way. "I just don't want to be a bother."

"I haven't known you long but when we hung out that day we really got along. I don't have many friends since most of them moved away after high school. So I really don't mind." Ryan said with a smile. "Come on let's get you into that bath you want."

Austin didn't have any friends and no address for his grandparents. The Davenports were all he had and he needed their friendship. But if didn't stop himself he could easily alienate his lifeline.

When they reached the bathroom Austin fretted over getting completely naked in front of Ryan, but he really wanted that bath. Ryan helped him get his underwear off. As Ryan stood back up his hand brushed against Austin cock sending shock waves throughout his entire body, his inner gears had started and there wasn't anything that could to stop it. He was at full salute by the time Ryan turned around from starting the bath, and he was mortified.

"I'm so sorry." Austin said looking down at the floor.

"Sorry for what?"

Was Ryan playing dumb, he thought? "For getting hard when you accidently brushed my dick."

"It's okay it happens to all of us." Ryan replied. "Let's get you in the tub, it'll feel great on your sore muscles."

Ryan was right the hot water felt great. Almost as soon as he slid into the water he could feel his aching muscles start to relax. Austin felt as if he could live in the old claw foot tub. He sat back and relaxed in the water letting the pain fade away, at least for the moment. Ryan asked if Austin wanted anything to eat. Surprisingly he was hungry and he told him so. Ryan left the room to start heating the food; before he left he told Austin that he would be back in a few minutes to help him get out of the tub. Austin rested his head on the back of the tub and closed his eyes. Five minutes went by and Ryan was back in the bathroom with some lounge pants and a tank top for Austin to wear.

"I brought you something more comfortable to wear. I know that room sometimes gets a little warm at night." Ryan said as he put the clothes on the sink.

"Thanks. You didn't have to do that for me." Austin said with a smile.

"It's okay but stop thanking and apologizing so much." Ryan said with a laugh. "You ready to get out?"

Ryan helped Austin get out of the tub and dried him off. Once he was dressed they made their way to the kitchen where the chicken noodle soup was warming on the stove, and it smelled divine. Ryan ladled some into a bowl for Austin then himself.

"Careful it's very hot." Ryan said as he placed it in front of Austin.

"It smells great. You made it yourself?" Austin asked as he inhaled the aroma.

"Sure did. With dad working on the ranch a lot and mom working at the bar, I learned how to cook to help out." Ryan said as he blew on the soup to cool it down.

Soon after Austin had finished eating he was very tired. He thanked Ryan for the wonderful late night dinner and went back to the room. Ryan wished him a good night and started to clean up the kitchen. Only a few minutes after Austin was in his room Shelly came home from the bar.

"Hey Ry, what're you still doin' up?" She asked as she put her keys down.

"Austin had a nightmare."

"Is he okay?"

"I think so. He wouldn't tell me what it was about but I'm sure it was pretty bad since he woke up soaking wet. He took a bath and ate something; he just went back to bed about five or so minutes ago. Would you like some soup before I put it away?" He asked.

"That'd be nice. It was crazy tonight and I didn't have time to grab anythin' to eat."

"Mom, can I talk to you about something?" Ryan asked.

"You know you can." Shelly said sitting down.

"Do you think Austin will be okay?" Ryan asked as he put out a bowl for his mother.

"Well, it's hard to say. I mean look at us, what the hell do we know about normal?"

"So he might always live with these nightmares?"

"Yup, it's a possibility." Shelly blew her soup. She wanted to have another conversation with her son, but knew he had to broach the subject.

Ryan felt horrible knowing that Austin might never be able to live a life without fear.

*****

Over the next four weeks Austin's injuries started to mend and he started to do more for himself, but Michael hadn't cleared him to drive. The more time they spent together the stronger Austin's feelings became for Ryan. The way Ryan took care of him, the kind words, the way he would make sure he had everything he needed so he didn't have to do extra moving. Austin wondered what his life would be like if he had a relationship with Ryan, but he knew he could not fall in love with Ryan; he was straight. The tracker had been found and removed. Once he was well enough to drive he knew that he had to get out of Levy before it got any worse. He was happy that he had a friend in Ryan, but he knew it would never be anymore than that which felt like a different kind of heartbreak.

It was an unusually hot day as Austin was walking around the horse stables when he ran into Mr. Davenport.

"Well hello, Austin. How are you doing today?" Tom asked. He was an older version of Ryan; tall, blue eyed and a body of muscles built by labor. He was also as good and decent as rest of his family

"Pretty good, I made it from the house to here without having to stop." Austin said with a smile. "What are you up to?"

"The weather said there could be very strong thunderstorms and I wanted to get the stables ready in case one of them hit." Tom replied as he scattered extra hay.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"You ask that every day and I always have the same answer. No, you need your rest; your very competent doctor hasn't released you. Now it's a scorcher so take your time getting back to the house." Tom replied with that same southern smile.

He decided Mr. Davenport was right; by the time Austin had made it back to the house he was soaked from the sweat. After Austin took a nice cool shower he lay on the bed and took a nap, he was sleeping less and less and wasn't relying on the medicine as much. He would have slept through the storm if the wind hadn't blown the doors open. He climbed out of bed and saw it was much darker out than it should have been at that time of day. As he stepped out of the doors, and lit a smoke, he was confronted by strong winds. It was evident this was going to be a monster storm.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 181 milliseconds