Stealing My Heart Ch. 08

"At thrift store we could get a few whole outfits and still have money left over for pizza and beer,"

Tomas gave her a sly grin, "Nice, if Xavier wasn't one of my best friends I might try to steal you from him."

"Sorry T, but you'd fail miserably." Eva rushed over, her cheeks flushed with excitement, and shoved a pile of clothes in Jordan's arms before leading her into a changing room.

"This will be fun," she promised. Jordan stood frozen in the small cubicle facing the mirror. She'd always wondered what it would be like to go shopping like she saw the girls on TV. Hanging the clothes on the door, she looked at the items the Eva had chosen for her and ran her hand over the silky material. The clothes were beautiful, some of them she thought were just plain ridiculous but right when she decided to put those items aside Eva's voice drifted over the changing room "Try them all on," she ordered "even if you don't think you'll like it!" Taking a deep breath Jordan chose an outfit and began her ordeal.

---

Hours and many stores later Jordan found herself sighing in delight as she closed the lid on a box of a pair of beautiful blue heels. "Okay, you were right. Shoes are the best part of any outfit," she admitted. Eva swiped Xavier's credit card and took the bag the cashier hand her. "Oh and the best part about shopping with a man," she said with a smile before shoving the bag into Tomas over loaded arms, "you have someone to carry all the bags."

"I'm supposed to be on guard not a baggage carrier," Tomas grumbled.

"Be a good boy and maybe we'll get you some ice cream," Eva crooned and patted his cheek. Jordan tried and failed to hold back her laughter.

"Stop teasing him Eva. He has been extremely patient. Especially, with that sweet old woman who needed help choosing the right lingerie set" Tomas groaned as the women folded over with laughter.

"Laugh all you want now but I will make you pay. Both of you!"

They finally left the mall, Tomas sulking as he stashed the bags in the trunk and climbed into the back seat. Henry's shop was a short trip through the city, but finding parking for the giant SUV proved a near impossible task. Jordan offered to go to the store while they waited for parking but Tomas and Eva admittedly refused.

The overhead bell rang merrily as the group entered the store. Eva first, followed by Jordan, Tomas bringing up the rear. The shop was empty save for the old shopkeeper. Henry looked up from the glass counter a warm smile brightened his eyes and crinkling his laugh lines.

"So my dear child, you've finally taken your place as Alpha. I'm so proud of you," the three paused in confusion and shock as Henry bowed his head and grinned.

Jordan blinked in confusion her head swinging from Henry, to Eva, and Tomas and back again. She was sure she missed something. "Um, did you tell Henry?" she asked.

Snapping out of their surprise with Jordan's question Tomas ushered her the rest of the way into the store, locking the door behind himself. Eva rushed up to the counter bracing her hands on the glass and growling at the unfazed old man.

"What do you want with her?" Eva said using her best intimidating Beta face.

Henry just continued to grin. "Believe me dear wolf I wish Jordan and your pack nothing but happiness." Eva frowned she sensed no ill will from the man but there was something she was missing. Henry continued, "Jordan has a bright future ahead of her and she will make a huge difference in the world."

Jordan joined them at the counter while Tomas checked the store for any threats. She laid a gentle hand on Eva's arm, silently urging her to calm down. "Henry, what are you talking about? How did you know about the whole Alpha thing? Are you a shifter?"

Henry patted her hand halting her barrage of questions. "No I am not a shifter. You can tell your betas to stand down, I mean you no harm. I am an oracle and I wouldn't be a very good one if I couldn't spot a shifter. Especially one as powerful as your mate," he winked

An audible gasp came from Eva and Tomas while Jordan just blinked in confusion.

"Oracle? What does that mean exactly?" Jordan asked hesitantly.

Henry smiled brightly and took her hand comfortingly in his.

"It means, dear child, that I knew you were special the moment you walked into my shop. As an oracle I can see people for who they truly are. No matter how they try to hide the truth. On occasion the goddess allows me to see one's past, present, or future. I saw your future Jordan and your strength will bring about major change in our world."

Jordan stared at Henry with confusion and wonder etched across her face, too stunned to speak.

Turning to Eva and Tomas, Henry added "keep her safe but know you can't prevent what will happen. It's her destiny."

Shaking off the shock of her confession Eva watched Henry intently. He didn't seem to wish any harm on her Alpha , and oracles were known for their gentle nature, but she didn't want to take any chances.

"What will happened?" Eva inquired.

Henry's ever present smile wavered for a second before he shook his head.

"I am truly sorry but I'm afraid I can't tell you now. It could ruin everything."

Tomas growled indignantly, his eyes flashing.

"What do you mean you can't tell us? You threaten our Alpha and then expect us to just walk away?"

Jordan turned to Tomas putting her hands up to ease the tension and help let go of the anger. "Tomas," she said sternly, "Henry means me no harm. Be calm," she ordered giving his arm a small squeeze. Immediately Tomas backed down yielding to his Alpha. Jordan was barely aware of her effect on him. She waited a moment to make sure her orders were followed before turning back to study her boss. She didn't know why but she felt at peace with Henry's revelation. She trusted she would sense if Henry lied to her.

"I don't suppose you could tell me when to expect this traumatic event?" Jordan asked.

Henry closed his eyes for a moment, "fairly soon."

"Xavier will want to speak with you," Eva said.

"I can't tell him anymore than I have told you already." Henry shook his head apologetically, "but if he wishes to talk, I will be right here." With a smile he walked around to the other side of the counter. "Take her home. I have the shop covered today."

Sensing this was all he would say on the matter Jordan sighed. "Well I hope you don't think you're getting rid of me that easily. I may be taking a break from working here but I'm coming back and we're going to finish this old man." Jordan smiled trying to relieve the tension in the room.

"I should hope so. We will have much to discuss very soon," Henry chuckled, "and don't worry about me I can manage the shop."

"Ha! You may see the future but you couldn't carry one of those boxes more than two feet."

Henry gasped in mock offense and held up his scrawny arms. "I'm stronger than you think young lady."

"I guess we all have our own delusions," she smiled warmly at Henry before kissing his wrinkled cheek.

"Good bye," Henry called as the betas escorted Jordan out of the shop.

"Who would have thought? An oracle right here in our city!" Tomas said in wonder.

---

Xavier was hiding in his office, head on his desk, trying control his frustration. Meeting with the Alphas had been beyond useless. Michael's hadn't even bothered to show up, sending one of his beta's to deliver his refusal to get involved. Terrence spent the time whining and making excuses.

In the end he and Isaiah had used the time to conference call the Felixes and make travel plans. They had decided to track down the rogues as a unit, pooling both feline and wolf resources. If they were unable the council would have to be notified. The council would hold both the packs and prides responsible if they let the problem spread outside their jurisdiction.

He was just beginning to get his thoughts in order when he was suddenly filled with intense feelings of shock and curiosity with a touch of fear. Xavier shot up in his chair. It took a moment for him to realize these weren't his emotions. They were flooding in along the fragile bond building between he and his mate.

The bond should not even have existed yet given that Jordan was still human. But throughout the day he had been sensing hints of the mate bond connecting him to his mate. Awareness of his mate came to him in slight flashes letting him know she was okay. To be getting this heavy flow meant Jordan had to be having intense reactions to whatever was happening.

Xavier rushed out of his office in a panic. Cell phone already at his ear by the time he reached the car.

"Eva what's going on? Is Jordan okay? Where are you?" he blurted.

"Xavier breathe . . ." Jordan grabbed the phone from the beta.

"Xavier," she snapped. "I'm just fine. We're on our way back. I'll see you soon," she said trying to calm her growling mate.

"I can sense you Jordan. Something is wrong. I felt your fear," Xavier's knuckles turning white as he clutched the steering wheel of the idling car.

"Sense me?" Jordan shook her deciding to let that go for the moment. Calming Xavier down was the more important task at hand. "It was just a bit of shock. I promise. I'm fine."

"Where are you? I'll come to you," he said hastily.

Jordan smiled a bubble of warmth blossoming in her chest. She couldn't help the silly giggle in her voice. She felt like a little girl who just received the present of a life time. "Xavier, I promise. Everything is fine. We're leaving the city now. Bye."

Eva and Tomas stared at her in shock. "Did you just hang up on the Alpha?" Tomas asked, his brown eyes wide.

"What?" Jordan said with an innocent shrug. "It's so sweet of him to worry but I can't allow him to fuss over me every time he gets a feeling. Bad habits are hard to break. He'll be okay."

Tomas turned to Eva in the drivers seat, "When we get there. We let her out first and use her as a shield. Xavier won't attack us through her."

"Agreed," Eva nodded.

--

Xavier left the car and ran to the driveway, wolves scattering to avoid him. Clenching his fists and grinding his teeth he stood sentinel, his senses open for the first sign of his mate's approach.

---

Dean could barely contain his glee, everything was going according to plan. Cambridge and his ally were leaving. Michaels refused to get involved despite the apparent threat. It was perfect. The Cambridge compound would be vulnerable and with Delia's assistance there was no way he could fail.

"Hey baby," Delia crooned as she sauntered over followed by his betas.

Dean brushed off Delia's overt advances and ignored her annoyed shriek, "I need you back at the Cambridge compound."

"But I want -"

"And tell Simon I want to see him now," he interrupted her waving her off.

Grumbling she stomped out to the yard to send Simon in.

"Why the long face Beautiful?" Simon asked as she approached him.

"The stupid Alpha doesn't appreciate me. After all I've done for him," she pouted prettily.

"If I had a girl like you," Simon breathed in her ear flirtatiously, stroking her smooth, rosy cheek, "I would treat you like you deserve."

"Well he's going to make me Alpha Queen," Delia said proudly flinging her golden hair off her shoulder.

"Do you see how he treats you? Do you really believe he will keep his promises" Delia's confidence waivered. "Support me," Simon coaxed her "and I will give you everything you want and more."

"How do I know you're not just trying to use me too?" Delia pouted poking Simon in the chest with a manicured finger.

"If I don't keep my word you could always go back to Terrence," he said offhand. "But if you choose me all your dreams will be achieved."

Delia's eyes sparkled with greed. "What do you plan on doing?"

"I will let Terrence go on with is plans. Once he has secured both packs my men and I will strike. We have gained most of his betas for our side. I just need my queen," he took her hand and bowing over it with a salacious grin and kissed her gently, looking into her gleaming blue eyes.

"Fine, what do you want me to do?" she asked eagerly.

"Just continue as you are. Do as Terrence asks and be ready for when I give my signal." He sent her a heated wink before he briskly turned and headed towards the house.

Ambitious and dumb. It was almost to easy, Simon thought. He had no intention of sharing power with some wanton bimbo but using her to get what he wanted was a good choice. He was slowly garnering more support from Terrence's betas who were getting tired of his leadership. Soon, he would have them all. Or at least enough to take out any holdouts. Soon he would have everything he wanted and he wouldn't let anyone stand in his way.

----

Dean looked up as Simon casually strolled into his study. The guy irritated him to no end but he was necessary to complete his final goal. He had his betas watching Simon closely but they reported no dissent.

"Finally youre here. I've been waiting."

"Are you actually going to tell us your plan now or have you still not figured it out," Simon sneered.

"Shut up and I'll tell you," Terrence snarled as Simon dropped down on the couch and kicked his feet up on the low coffee table.

"In two days we strike," he announced. "Cambridge will be gone and unable to interfere. Delia will lure his new bitch out of the compound where Chuck will be waiting in ambush. When we spread out looking for the girl we attack. Taking out their soldiers and taking over the compound and the pack." Terrence finished his arms stretched out in triumph and a smirk.

When there was no response he lowered his arms with a glare.

"Uh . . . won't Cambridge come back and stop us?" Alan asked dispelling the silence.

"That's the beauty of the plan," he huffed irritated that they couldn't see his genius. "In two days Xavier and the cats will be so distracted with their fighting and another attack by the 'rogues' the won't get the news until it's too late to stop me."

"But eventually he will come back. He won't just let us have his pack," Simon pointed out laughing internally knowing Dean's plans would fail.

"Yea and Cambridge is big . . . really big. Won't he crush you?" another beta asked nervously. For most the very idea of taking on Xavier was inconceivable.

"You idiots," Dean snarled, back handing the beta who spoke up. "I have thought of everything. Not only will he hand over his pack he will do it without a fight."

"How do you figure that?" Chuck asked skeptically.

"We will have his mate and if he refuses we will kill her," he explained frustrated with his dim witted pack.

"Why not just go to him with the Alpha challenge," Simon asked. According to shifter law anyone could challenge an Alpha and naturally if the reigning Alpha lost he forfeit his pack to the winner. But Simon doubted Dean Terrence would last very long against Xavier Cambridge.

"Because with his mate's life in our hands he will essentially let me kill him just to free her," he grumbled annoyed with his pack questioning him."

"But what about . . ."

"Enough Terrence growled. "I have waited too long for this chance. I have planned everything. Just be ready when the time comes. Now go. You have preparations to make," huffed indignantly.

Needing to calm down he was about to call Delia for a quick fuck but he remembered he had already sent her away. Annoyed, he settled on the chair and closed his eyes. He imagined Xavier's face while he tortured his mate before his eyes. He imagined how good it would feel when he broke the man's spirit and made him bleed. The thought of Xavier kneeling before him brought a grin to his face Terrence knew his revenge was coming soon. He couldn't fail and he couldn't wait.

---

Jordan got out of the car when Eva stopped at the end of the driveway where the Alpha stood looking ready to kill something or someone.

"We'll meet you at the house," she grinned at Eva and Tomas and let out a soft chuckle when Eva zoomed off to the garage before the door could fully close.

"I told you it was dangerous," Xavier grabbed Jordan by the shoulders resisting the urge to shake her as her smile grew wider. "Is this amusing to you?" he growled in dismay.

Jordan reached up and stroked his cheek. "You have no idea how much it means to me that you care enough to worry about me."

"Woman, of course I'm worried you're my mate . . ." Jordan put up a staying hand.

"I'm fine. Look at me Xavier, just look."

Xavier's eyes roamed his mate's petite body finding nothing wrong. Taking a step back he ran a shaky hand through his hair. Jordan was fine but he was losing his mind. Ever since she came into his life, Xavier had changed. Mina had pointed out numerous times how much more open he was and he noticed how the pack seemed warmer towards him. He realized how over time he had closed himself off from his pack. He had been a good Alpha but his loneliness had caused him to draw away from them. Even though it had been such a short time since they had met he found himself fearing to lose her and falling back into the dark pit.

Embarrassed he looked down at his mate and let out a long sigh. "So you want to tell me what happened?"

"Turns out my old employer is an oracle. And he approves of you."

For the second time that day he found himself gawking at his mate as she walked away from him.

---

He knew it was illogical but hearing his beta's recounting of their encounter with the oracle had his wolf's hackles up. Xavier's anger was almost palpable. Finally, Xavier lost control of his wolf.

"You were supposed to bring me any threat's!" his face contorted in anger as he lunged for Tomas. Xavier grabbed his collar and shoved him into the bookshelf. Tomas threw his hands up to shield himself from the falling hardbound books but knew better than to rise from the floor. Xavier would have seen it as a challenge and killed him. Xavier was about to grab for Tomas again when a Jordan's clear voice rang out behind him.

"Xavier stop!" Jordan's dark hair framed her shocked face emphasizing her reddened cheeks and hazel eyes.

Xavier turned to gaze at his mate. His wolf rumbling in admiration and appreciation of the authority and power radiating off the small, fierce woman. His chest puffed out in pride for choosing such a natural Alpha for his mate.

Jordan stared down her mate as she crossed the room. "We already talked about this. I wasn't about to have them drag Henry down her like a criminal." She knelt beside Tomas making sure he was okay causing a low growl to escape Xavier's throat.

Jordan's head whipped around staring daggers at her mate. "Calm down or I swear I'll go back to the city. I'm just making sure he's alright." The serious, reproachful look in Jordan's eyes had Xavier swallowing his next growl. He wasn't willing to chance that she wasn't bluffing.

Jordan made sure Tomas would be okay while he tried to communicate to his Alpha that he was no threat and definitely had no desire to steal his mate.

When she was assured Tomas would live and helped him to his feet she led Xavier to his chair. Sitting in his lap comforting her mate and preventing anymore outbursts. Xavier nodded apologetically to Tomas and Eva, who had stayed out of the way during the altercation, and gestured for them to take a seat.

Derek stepped into the office after a brief knock. "Everything is ready for our flight. Carson will meet us at the airport."

Jordan turned on her mate's lap, "Where are you going?"

Xavier sighed wearily and rubbed his face before telling catching everyone up on the Alpha's meeting. "In light of this new information, I better let Carson know he's on his own."

"What are you talking about?" Jordan asked.

"Well if the oracle is right, there is no way I'm leaving you here by yourself."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 24 milliseconds