Surefoot 24: Snakes on a Starship

She almost did, trying to justify it to herself by claiming to want to go for help, knowing what a sham it was.

She can't defeat this thing. It's too strong, too fast and deadly and-

Suddenly her thoughts rushed back a decade, to a time before her father had been kidnapped by the Bel-Zon and her mother had died, when the ten-year-old Sasha had started learning K'Gressir, under Hrelle's guidance and a holographic opponent that seemed to tower over her, snarling and baring its teeth and declaring how it would crush Sasha beneath its paws.

It seemed undefeatable to her.

And her feelings must have shown on her face, because her Dad dropped to one knee, his tail swishing behind him as he smiled. "He seems like such a badass, doesn't he?"

The word made her giggle, despite her efforts to want to stay intimidated.

"You'll see a lot of people like him as you grow up," he continued warmly, stroking her face as he pointed at the holographic Caitian. "Schmucks who boast loudly that they've been in too many fights to count, that they're the master of Ju Jitsu or Mok'bara or Kish Mein Toches or something they've just made up on the spot. Or maybe they'll tell you they know fighting secrets no one else knows, or that they once knocked out a Klingon Dahar Master with their little finger or their buttcheek or something else.

Whatever they say, it's a safe bet to assume that they're just braggarts and that they've exercised their mouths more than anything else. And when you get into an actual fight with them, and they start to realise that they're up against someone who can do more than just talk, then you'll start to hear them offer you a chance to walk away before they really hurt you, or tell you how stupid or crazy you are to still be fighting with them, or something else.

The bottom line is: don't take your opponent's word for it for you can't win, because it's not in their interest to let you see the truth: that you are stronger than you think, smarter than you think, and braver than you think."

The twenty-year-old Sasha looked up at her opponent.

And roared as she charged at him, claws raised.


Deck 2 Mid -- Officers Mess Hall:

The Caitians ducked as the Vlathi fired at them, clumps of tiny duranium flechettes propelled by magnetic fields cutting through the air, striking the walls and the tops of tables, taking small chunks out of everything they hit.

Ma'Sala grabbed a chair and held it up as she pivoted around to an angle the Vlathi would have difficulty twisting to meet, before flinging the chair at it, knocking the weapon from its grasp. It grasped, descending quickly into the room, its long, colourful, scaled body pouring down and trying to coil itself into a defensive posture.

Ma'Sala chose not to give it time to do so, charging forward, claws bared as she leapt upon it, striking its hide and noting its toughness before moving towards more vital areas. It hissed and tried to bite and scratch her, before finally wrapping its elongated body around her, ready to crush her.

Before Ma'Sala heard its weapon discharge again, and the top of its head erupted.

She wrinkled her muzzle in disgust at the odour, snarling as she extricated herself from its coils, with the belated help from Bneea and Mirow, the former asking, "Are you okay?"

She nodded, her ears still ringing as she looked over at Rrori, still holding the creature's weapon, still standing there in obvious shock at what had just transpired. She caught her breath and nodded again at him, "Thanks, Cadet."

Rrori's jaw had dropped, and he was panting shallowly as he stared at the Vlathi he had just killed. "I- I had- high scores- in Marksmanship-"

Now Mi'Tree drew closer to him, his voice warm and paternal as he slowly reached out and removed the weapon from the cub's shaking grasp. "And you did very well, Mr Rrori. Your clan will be very proud of you. In the meantime, let's let someone else hold this for a while, okay?"

Rrori nodded absently, as Ptera drew up to him now, holding his arm as she stared at the creature with the rest. "What in the Seven Hells is that?"

"It- It smells Skarosian," Rrori noted. "I was on Skaros several weeks ago, on a mission with Captain Hrelle and Lt. C'Rash. But they- the ones I saw anyway -- were bipedal-"

"It's a Vlathi," Ma'Sala informed them, kneeling down beside it, searching the armoured chestpiece it wore. "An evolutionary throwback among the Skarosians. When they're born, they're taken to be trained as assassins for their royal family, the Imperium."

"How do you know all that?" Bneea asked.

"I took an interest in them when I learned of that mission our kin-son took there. These things are obviously here for revenge." She looked at Rrori. "Cadet, can you get that door open?"

The young white-furred Caitian snapped out of his shock. "Um, no, Ma'am, it's security deadlocked, I don't have the authorisation level to override it."

She nodded, looking up at the open hatch. "Mirow, Ptera, move a table closer to that; looks like us old cats get to do a bit of exercise besides licking ourselves." She patted Rrori on the shoulder as she drew up to Mi'Tree, retrieving the Vlathi weapon, ignoring his silent protest as she handed it to Bneea, adding to him, "You'll bring up the rear, I'll take the lead, we keep Mi'Tree and the cubs between us until we find a way out."

Mi'Tree glared at her and harrumphed. "Lumping me in with the cubs, are you? Why not just shoot me and put me out of my misery while you're at it?"

"I thought about it, but couldn't stand to have all those legions of mourning fans of yours weeping at the gates of our Clanlands wanting samples of your butt fur." She smacked the back of his head. "Now come on, let's move! My daughter and grandson are alone!"

*

Deck 3 Fore -- Sickbay Suite:

Misha clung to his mother's neck and shoulder, crying, as she backed into the rear of the Isochamber, watching helplessly as the Vlathi outside slammed the chair in its hands against the transparent aluminium windows, again and again -- making the fractal pattern it produced expand with each blow, as it continued to hiss and screech.

She hugged Misha tighter. "It's okay, baby, everything's going to be okay." But even she didn't believe it. They had been invaded, cut off from the rest of the ship, Ling was dead... and they would soon be next. She looked frantically around the interior of the Isochamber for the hundredth time, seeking a weapon, a defence, anything. But there was nothing, nothing to delay the inevitable for more than a few seconds.

The hole in the window grew.

Then something behind the Vlathi caught her eye, and she turned to see a figure race in from behind- Eydiir! Wielding her twin Capellan short swords! Without hesitation she rushed up, yelling as she struck out, cutting a slice in the Vlathi's tail, making yellow-red blood geyser up.

The Vlathi turned away from the Isochamber to face the cadet, its injured tail twitching, appearing useless from the damage inflicted upon it, the attacker hissing in rage and pain. "Earther scum! I'll make a feast of you!"

Eydiir kept her eyes on it as she backed away slowly, deliberately, letting it draw closer -- and further away from the Isochamber door -- as she kept one blade pointed at the Vlathi. "I am not an Earther. I am Eydiir, Daughter of Kaas, of the Ten Tribes of Capella. And you will not have that mother and child today! I SWEAR IT!"

Kami stared in disbelief -- and noticed how the girl was pointing with her other sword in a strange direction, towards the wall beside the rear of the Isochamber-

Then Kami gasped as she saw the open hatch to a Jefferies Tube -- and within, Jonas and Kit looking out, silently beckoning to her!

And Eydiir was manoeuvring to get the Vlathi to turn its back on the Isochamber, and stay focused on the immediate threat.

That girl was risking her life to save them- she was-

Then Kami focused on the task at hand, shushing Misha as she approached the door. They were locked in, but before she died, Juliet had given away the access combination: the Stardate of Misha's birth. She punched in 47430.8, hoping that the door hadn't been damaged-

It clicked and slid open!

And the Vlathi twisted to look as it heard.

Misha hissed.

And Eydiir exploded into astonishing action, using both swords now as she became a blur of limbs and Capellan steel, striking out at the Vlathi as she screamed at it, forcing it to focus fully on her, using the chair as a shield, sparks flying.

Clutching Misha tightly, aware of the Vlathi's tail between her and the Jefferies Tube, she braced herself, ran and leapt over it, still watching over her shoulder as she passed the infant to Jonas, as Kit shouted over the noise, "Quickly, Most Respected Counselor! Follow us!"

But as she started inside, she looked back at the fight. "Eydiir! Come on!"

But the girl kept focused on the Vlathi, who was desperately trying to strike back.

"Kami!" Jonas pleaded from within the Tube, Misha clinging to him. "We have to go!"

The Counselor gasped, swallowed -- then looked inside at the cadet and her son. "Get him to safety! We'll follow! GO!"

Jonas looked ready to argue, before he finally twisted around inside the Tube.

Kami looked back at the fight. Eydiir was struggling now.

And the same maternal instincts that screamed at her to follow her infant into the Tube and safety now focused on the creature that threatened this brave, beautiful young woman.

And she bared her claws and fangs and leapt onto the back of the Vlathi...

*

Deck 2 Aft -- Cryo Tanks:

Hrelle ignored the chill under his fur as he, Neraxis and Thykrill emerged from the Tube and into the chamber, but he appreciated the change of scent; the interior of the Tube system was growing more suffused with the sounds and scents of the Vlathi as well as his own people, confusing him.

The cadets silently took point at the door to the corridor, nodding to each other, while Hrelle remained impressed with their level of professionalism- until he was distracted by sounds from the Tube. He returned to it, squatting down, listening and smelling.

Then he unslung the Projectile Launcher from around his shoulder, flicked off the safety switch, stuck the barrel down one direction of the Tube and fired, pulling back as the concussive wave rolled up and out, making him curse and shake the ringing from his head.

"Are you okay, Sir?" Neraxis asked, approaching and offering a hand to help him up.

He nodded. "Better than the Vlathi who just got a face full of stun grenade. Support is gonna have kittens cleaning out the Tubes." He gripped the Launcher in his hands as he drew up to the door, entering his command codes into the manual release, nodding silently to them to stand ready as the door slid open, and the cadets emerged, keeping to the walls as they covered either end of the corridor, each of them declaring in turn, "Clear."

Hrelle stepped out as well, moving down the Starboard Corridor towards the Mess Hall and the Officers' and VIP Quarters, his confidence fighting for dominance with his anxiety, as it felt like ages since he'd left Kami and Misha safe with his clan-

There were noises around the corner just ahead. Neraxis had switched to her rifle and aimed it, until he raised his hand. "The force field is online just ahead. The gravitons might just absorb the bullets' kinetic energy and let them drop to the floor... or they might deflect back to us." His heart raced as he listened to the sounds. "Besides, it's not the enemy on the other side." He called out, "Hope you saved me some fresh shuris!"

A group of Caitians began appearing from around the corner, led by Ma'Sala, looking more grave than expected -- and bedraggled. "Captain, where's your Sickbay?"

He tensed. "Deck 3. What happened? Who's hurt?"

Bneea drew up, wielding one of the Vlathi ballistic weapons. "We were attacked by one of those things, we're okay, we crawled out of the Mess Hall through your conduits -- but Kami and Misha were called to Sickbay before the attack."

"Called?" Immediately he thought of the false summons he had received. His heart raced. "Was Sasha with you?"

"No, she never showed up."

Mi'Tree strode up. "We need to get to-" He winced and drew back as he touched the force field wall, and it protested with a surge of gravitons. "Drop these infernal security precautions at once, my son!"

Hrelle's mind was already returning to the warren of Jefferies Tubes in his ship... and to trying to control his racing heart, his arrythmia acting up again. "I wish I could, but the Vlathi and the Nagaina crew have taken temporary control. All Caitians are their targets." To Rrori and Ma'Sala he ordered, "Stay together, get back into the Tubes and make your way downdeck, we'll do the same here. Rrori, get them to 3. Watch yourselves."

He turned back towards the Cryo Tanks, barking to the cadets, "Follow!" His hackles rose. If those things harm his wife and cub, he'd kill those monsters. He'd kill them all. He'd take the Surefoot to their planet and burn it to a cinder...

*

Deck 4 Fore -- Shuttlebay Workshop:

Kit slid aside the hatch, hopped out, glanced around and reached inside to collect Misha, cradling him under his rear. "You're a very good hatchling, staying quiet. I must compliment your mother when she arrives." He swallowed. "If she arrives."

Jonas climbed out of the hatch, pushing an Engineering Kit out ahead of him. "When she arrives, Kit. They'll both be here." He drew out a light and set it on a table, before walking around, pausing to tickle under Misha's chin before proceeding to assess the surroundings. "Good. There's things we can work with here."

Kit tapped Misha's snout playfully. "Good Friend Jonas, with respect, we do not even know the full situation." Then Misha clamped onto the Qarari's finger. "Ouch. Please, Respected Infant, let go!"

Jonas returned to his friend, reaching into his jacket pocket and producing a biscuit, offering it to the infant, who took it in his stubby hand and proceeded to let go of Kit's finger and nibble away at the food, letting crumbs fall onto Kit's clothes. "Communications are down, we've been dropped out of warp, the corridors have force fields raised, and there was a giant filthy reptile trying to kill Kami and Misha." He stopped and looked back at Kit. "No offence."

"None taken."

Jonas returned to his kit, lifted an Engineering tricorder and took a moment before adding, "There's a dampening field, affecting transtator-based technology, so phasers, tricorders, communicators are disabled." He returned the tricorder and withdrew instead a similar-looking but bulkier device with a black matte finish. Unlike the first, this switched on, making him smile. "My recreation of an old T-22 tricorder works on pre-transtator technology. It's not as strong or accurate as..." He stopped and frowned, rising and moving slowly towards the door at the far end of the room.

Kit noted that Misha had devoured the biscuit, and reached for the crumbs on his shirt to feed him those. "Is there a problem, Good Friend Jonas?"

He shut the lid of the tricorder and slung it around his shoulder. "We need to make weapons while we're here."

Then Misha twisted in Kit's grip to reach out in the direction of the open hatch, making a mewling sound. Kit tensed, whispering, "Good Friend Jonas!"

The other cadet drew up, stepping between his friend and the infant, and the hatch, until he heard Kami's voice calling ahead of her. "Help us!"

Jonas knelt and reached in, guiding the Counselor out, and then a pair of bloodied and broken swords, and finally an equally bloodied and broken Eydiir, the Capellan collapsing onto her back on the floor of the workshop, before he slid the hatch shut.

Kami looked injured as well, though not to Eydiir's degree, but she rushed up and took Misha from Kit. "Help her."

Kit knelt beside Eydiir even as Jonas rose and rushed to a wall mounting. "The workshop keeps a First Aid Pack. Basic temporary stuff, but..." He opened it and selected the antiseptic sprays and dermal sealant, recalling his previous Medical training. "They don't supply painkillers with these, sorry."

Eydiir half-sat up on her elbow, wincing. "I am Capellan. I am strong." Then she wiped blood from her mouth. "But I wouldn't say No to some ambizine right now."

Jonas looked at her hand. "You were bit?"

She nodded. "Barely. I can manage it; Capellans are resistant to reptile venom."

Jonas handed the rest of the sealant to Kit. "Keep at it, I have some ideas." Then he moved back to his bag.

Kami drew up to him. "Jonas, we have to get to Esek, T'Varik-"

He stood up with a set of tools and moved over to a storage cabinet, sliding the doors up and rapidly selecting various items. "We will, Counselor. But first we need weapons that don't rely on transtator technology. We'll have to go back through the Tubes -- the Main Shuttlebay has more of those intruders." He nodded to Misha, now chewing on Kami's mane. "Protecting you and that civilian in your arms is our priority." He held up a short segmented staff, pressing a control at one end and causing a crackle at the other.

"Jonas," Kami started. When he looked up again, she added, "Thank you."

Then Misha twisted towards the access shaft and hissed.

Seconds later, Kami heard it too. "One of those things is coming!"

Jonas threw the staff towards a waiting Kit and lifted up a capacitor. "Counselor, get behind the transporter console. Eydiir, can you-"

But the Capellan was already on her feet, lifting up her remaining intact sword, as the hatch slid open and another of the Vlathi shot out, knocking crates towards the cadet to keep them back until it was fully inside the workshop.

Its tail shot out, grabbing whatever it could and flinging them towards the two cadets standing between it and the people at the rear of the room. Jonas joined the Caitians behind the console, dropping and attaching the capacitor he brought to the innards of the transporter mechanism.

Eydiir swung out at the Vlathi, while Kit kept it at bay as well with the neuroleptic charges from Jonas' improvised stun staff.

Then the Vlathi stopped and focused on Kit. "Little One... do not side with these Hotbloods. We are your Brothers and Sisters... stand aside and let us do our job..."

Kit looked up at the figure as it drew closer.

And struck out. "All of my Brothers and Sisters... are in Starfleet!"

The Vlathi hissed and renewed its attack.

Behind the console, Kami watched Jonas work. "Can you- can you beam us out of here with that?"

The young man never looked up as he worked furiously. "I don't have sensors or power to make a safe transport!"

"Then why are you wasting time-"

But then he shot upright over the control panel, eyes fixed on the Vlathi as his fingers moved over the reactivated controls.

At the other side of the room, the Vlathi began to be enveloped by a curtain of transporter field energy.

Or rather, just its upper half.

It realised too late what was happening to it, that not all of it was leaving, and tried in vain to break out of the energy field. But it was too late-

Then its upper half vanished, leaving a long, twitching tail behind, trickles of blood leaking from it.

All eyes turned to Jonas, who was staring blankly at the results of his actions.

The other cadets approached, Eydiir asked softly, "Jonas... the rest of the Vlathi-"

"-Is in space," he finished, stepping away from the console, his hands rubbing furiously together, as if he had tear the creature in half directly. "Didn't know if, uh, it might still be a threat without, uh, its tail-"

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 717 milliseconds