Taming an Immortal Ch. 02

"My warning was talk enough."

Eyes of earthy brown looked up at him before bowing. "Thank you for saving me my Lord."

Etienne grunted his acknowledgement. "I protect what belongs to me."

From the corner of his eyes he saw that she smiled, a first he had seen in a long time meant only for him. All is well then.

"Rose! Your food is ready." Keiko exclaimed at the sight of them. Etienne knew the Noble was simply waiting for Rose to share the feast with him. Bearing half-human, Keiko required food, though not as often as Rose - a nuisance Purebloods could live without.

As the two tucked into the simple roast of chicken, Etienne decided it was time to take his leave.

"Keiko, follow suit at daylight and bring Lady Rose to the castle," he ordered, patting the purring dragon as he passed. "Alduin, ride strong and fast."

Keiko glanced in confusion at Rose and then dropped his drumstick as he ran up to him. "Master! You are leaving us?"

Etienne paused only to cast a glare at the Noble. "Do not question me Keiko. I will await your presence."

Then as silent as the night, he disappeared into the darkness.

***

The Master had addressed the human as Lady. Keiko knew Lord Etienne had his reasons but it still annoyed him that the human was conferred a nobility when she was merely a pet.

"Why are you muttering to yourself Master Keiko? I can see your round face bursting at the seams from thinking too much."

"Quiet you impudent child! Can't you see that I am distressed?"

One of Alduin's head decided to shower him some love; slobbering his face with its rough tongue. Rose could be seen rolling with laughter on the other side of the dragon.

A Lady! She had no upbringing to qualify her as one so why had Lord Etienne given him personally the first glimpse of his plans for her?

Oh! That sneaky little Pureblood. Of course, it was so like him to simply leave Keiko to decipher his words while dispatching him to do a mountain of work! Now where should he start...

"Rose, come here! We are never going to get you polished in time. Oh Lord Etienne why do you punish me so?"

"Hmm? Polished?" Rose scooted over, meeting him at the base of Alduin's necks. "And what is a punishment?"

"This! You!" Keiko waved his hands up in defeat. "Lord Etienne wishes me to educate you on all the customs of our lands."

"Master Keiko, your face..." She dared to laugh at the thought of his dismay!

"Be serious Rose! We have only eight days for you to learn everything from history to geography to culture and etiquette!"

Rose offered him a pout before pinching his cheeks. "Yes Master Keiko. I am ready!"

Keiko wanted to choke himself. "You don't even ask why!"

That was when she erased her pout, putting in place a serious look. "I did not think it was wise to question Lord Etienne. Whatever he thinks is best... well, let's just say I have no arguments right now." With a determined nod, she tapped her temples. "I've got lots to learn it seems, so let's start!"

Keiko didn't object this time. "Let's start with the geography of the Western Lands. I don't suppose you would know anything..."

That earned him a smack on the head. "Hey! I was homeschooled. I'm not that ignorant. Kirke has taught me enough." She used her finger to draw an imaginary circle in the air. "Halfway down the north, down the west and a third into the south are the Western Lands that belong to the Arceneaux clan. South and a quarter of the east, where Kirke lives are the lands of the humans."

"Yes and on the rest belong to the Changelings, headed by the Wolf clan. Do you know what are the Changeling clans found in Lord Etienne's lands?"

"Not hyenas I hope," she replied grimly.

"Hyenas?"

Rose nodded before launching into a short explanation of their encounter the day before.

"Rose you fool! Did you think a human with a sword would stand against the strength of a Changeling?"

Rose narrowed her eyes at him. "What? Did you think it was better if I simply screamed and cry like a girl?"

Keiko pursed his lips; both hands crossed over his chest. Surely she knew Lord Etienne would have come for her? Silly girl!

Although... Rose was never the crying type, even as a child. When she was kidnapped as bait for Lord Etienne, she didn't shed a tear. Keiko had of course! Lord Etienne blamed it on his human half.

But Rose had been carved! Long ugly scratches made by a Vampire claw had decorated her body.

Lord Etienne had been too merciful to the miscreant, in his opinion. A quick death was not what he deserved. A disgrace to their race, he should have been torn from limb to limb...

"Master Keiko?"

Keiko blinked his eyes back to reality, resting his gaze on his little Rose, all grown up now. Though much younger than Lord Etienne, it was him who had taken a shine to the little child, caring for her and raising her for the four years that she travelled with them.

Don't mistake his care for love! She was still a brat no matter what!

"Tell me Keiko, are there mountains in the Western Lands?"

"Why of course! Three in fact, forming a natural barrier against the Eastern Lands. The Changelings that live there pay respect to the Arceneaux clan. But they are tributaries of the Eastern Lord."

"And the humans?"

"Concentrated closer to the south-west, they are usually peaceful towns like the one we came from."

"But the hyenas..."

Indeed. Keiko was confused as to their attack. Surely they had scented the Pureblood's signature on Rose? Why then did they still attack her?

"That will be dealt with in due course." Forcing a solemn look, he added, "Most of the Changelings in the Western Lands are non-predatory -hyenas included."

Rose didn't look too convinced.

"Enough of that. Now, I must warn you that Lord Etienne comes from a long line of Purebloods - yes I'm coming to that. Stop interrupting!" Rose had started the habit of raising her hands to interject every time he launched into a lecture.

"You are not one are you?" Why oh why did he get the one full of questions?

"No. I am of greater Noble blood. That is, I have a human parent - my mother. But this lesson is not about me!"

Rose managed a chuckle.

"Lord Etienne Arceneaux is the only son of Lady Elisa of the North and Lord Montgomery Arceneaux of the West."

"Ah, so his parents married to broaden their empire?"

Keiko nodded. It was best to leave it at that. "That will be all for now. We will stop to eat and continue after dinner."

***

The sight of his castle gates almost brought Etienne to his knees; fatigue from the great expansion of his power to reach home in the span of two days. But for the sake of appearance, he held his chin up as he made that final push to land just past the outer fortifications of the castle.

It was no surprise to see his uncle standing in the courtyard, making a show of admiring the work of his gardener. Zylen, the lesser Noble was currently on his knees, the look of fear mixed with relief on his face at the sight of the young Lord.

The recognition was not lost on his uncle. A twitch of his ear and he turned, lips curled into a thin smile.

"Ah, Etienne... so nice of you to join in the reunion. Your mother and I were starting to worry you'd never come."

"Ealdwin."

A splitting image of his father, Ealdwin Arceneaux even wore his hair up in the single straight ponytail as his brother. But the similarities ended there.

"I see you have invited yourself into my castle," said Etienne dryly. Turning to his gardener, Etienne helped the old Noble up. "Zylen, please gather all the staff in the dining hall. I would like to address them in a while."

When the Noble was out of sight, Ealdwin laid a hand on Etienne's shoulder.

"I own a stake here just as you do... nephew."

Etienne gave his uncle a sideward glance. "Remove your hand if you wish to keep them."

"Loving as always Etienne," his uncle laughed, putting both hands up in the air. "But I know when I've overstayed my welcome - though, this is not goodbye."

Ealdwin disappeared in a swirl of rustled leaves and dust.

Etienne closed his eyes for a moment, keeping his anger in check. He would deal with his family later.

Right now, he needed to get the house in order. Rose and Keiko would arrive in a few days and while the continued presence of his mother and uncle would be a nuisance, it should not stop him from providing what was best for Rose.

A human in a Vampire's castle - his father would be laughing in his grave.

"Do you insist on going, Father?"

The strong ocean wind blew its silence between them; his father's hair flagging in the draft. Etienne had never seen the great Montgomery Etienne bleed... much less for mere mortal.

"Will you stop me then, Etienne?" His father turned his face slightly; half hidden by the moon's shadow.

"No. I will not stop you." Even if it meant losing you to a human. "However, before you go... please entrust your sword Muramasas, to me."

A low growl, almost like laughter filled the air. "And if I won't? Will you kill me, your father?"

Etienne said nothing. Montgomery Arceneaux was a law unto himself.

"Do you have someone to protect my son?" His father turned; facing his son for the last time."

To protect? "I, Etienne have no need for that."

A smile. A gentle caress on his cheeks.

And Montgomery Etienne was gone.

Putting his memories aside, Etienne entered the large dining room and was welcomed by a handful of the guards and household staff.

"Young Lord! It is so good to see you!" said Miria, chief of arms and one of his Pureblood advisors. They would have a lot to discuss in a bit.

"Yes my Lord, I have kept this castle running and in perfect condition as you and your father instructed." His majordomo, a loyal Pureblood kin, bowed low in his presence. The Pureblood had worked under his father for centuries, serving as steward in their absence.

It was a well-known fact that his father had chosen to live a simple life with his human mate on the outskirts of their lands, straying only to handle political situations as part of his duty as Lord of the West.

"I note your worthy contributions Keane. I only hope that I have given valuable lessons to your son in return." It was only as payment for his loyalty that Keiko was allowed to travel with him. However, the Noble proved useful.

"Master! You owe me nothing."

Etienne did not reply nor acknowledge him. Instead, he turned to the rest of his staff.

"Keiko will be returning in a few days with a human ward of mine. I expect nothing less than the standards you serve for me."

"A human, my Lord? But... it has never been done before!" exclaimed Miria.

Cold silver eyes lifted to meet hers. "Are you questioning my decision Miria?"

"No my Lord..."

"Then I will not repeat myself. You are all dismissed -except you Nahia."

His cook hung her head low as he approached.

"Why do you look as though I am about to punish you?" he asked. "I merely have more specific instructions."

Her freckled face broke out in smiles instantly. "Yes, my Lord?"

"This human child... she would require regular sustenance. Do you wish to take on more staff?"

She had the decency to look affronted; her lips twisting into a disapproving pout. "You are too kind my Lord." That was Nahia's way of saying he was insulting her.

"Very well then. Take her under your wing when she arrives. Be sure to cook food suitable only for her consumption."

Leaving her, Etienne headed up the side stairs into his own chambers. Decades have passed and it still looked the same as when he left it. Perhaps it was time to be reacquainted with his territory.

Closing the door to his personal room, he entered his old study - a place that would no doubt be the centre of future discussions and decision making.

A swift knock on his door and the familiar scent of ice alerted him to the presence of his mother.

Draped in her usual white fur coat - wolf pelt of which were offered to her by Ulrich of the East for her hand in marriage -she was every inch the regal Queen Mother.

Not known for her pleasantries, she simply stepped into his office and tapped her claws repeatedly at the edge of his desk. When he made no attempt to acknowledge her, she took a seat opposite him and started sniffling.

"Etienne, your mother grieves dearly for the passing of your father."

He raised both eyebrows at her words. His mother grieving? The cold-hearted bitch had not been his mother since the day he was born, choosing to return to her home in the North and leaving the care of her child to his father.

"Who allowed you in here?" he asked. "You have no claim upon these lands."

Elisa hid her face under the long sleeve of her dress and started to sob. "I am here for you my son."

"Enough. You sicken me." He stood up and pointed to the door. "You can let yourself out."

Eyes devoid of tears snapped up at the dismissal. "You dare speak to me like that?" The silver irises turned gold in anger. "You may be your father's heir but remember that until you produce you own, half of these lands belong to me!"

A cloud of smoke puffed in front of him and his mother was gone.

"You couldn't resist being melodramatic, mother," he finished, knowing that she was already gone from his castle. She would no doubt send her messengers soon to update him of her plans to usurp control.

Getting to his feet, Etienne walked over to his window and look out into the vast lands before him.

First on his agenda would be to re-establish a relationship with the human villages.

***

"Rose! Hurry! Can you see those gates?"

Rose stirred awake at the nasal pitch of Keiko's shouts. He had almost killed her last night with his rendition of the Western Land folk songs and Rose was sure she had only been asleep for an hour before rudely roused.

Rubbing her eyes, she squinted against the glare of the morning sun. Indeed, they were gates and then...

"Is this... is this Lord Etienne's castle?" Her eyes snapped wide open as she climbed up Alduin's neck to get a better view. "It's so... huge!"

The castle walls rose high into the sky, the breadth extending so far into the horizon that Rose had to tiptoe to see the end of it. And beyond that, wherever she looked, she could only see stretches of grass fields tapering down in a terrace courtyard in the middle of the castle grounds.

Keiko nodded, his eyes slightly watery when he looked at her. "Of course! This is the might and power of the Arceneaux family. Nothing less for the Master."

Rose didn't say anything. So this was where her Lord Etienne lived... and now, this would be her home. The thought of being on such a massive estate made her stomach rumble in nervousness. No wonder Lord Etienne insisted she dress appropriately before stepping into his abode.

Nothing but royalty should live here.

"Come on Rose. Stop daydreaming!" chided Keiko as their dragon steed came to a slow halt in front of the grand gates. Tugging at her wrists, he ushered her through the drawbridge, stopping only to nod in greeting to the fellow guards.

As they walked through an open courtyard, Rose noticed that the other servants seemed to hide at the sight of her. When she tried to make eye contact with them, they immediately disappeared.

Keiko didn't seem to notice. He was marching to his own parade tune, his arms and legs in military coordination. Rose tried not to giggle as he chimed 'one-two-one-two' up the stairs to where the main castle halls were.

"Rose." The soft masculine greeting was a balm to her nervousness. She had thought that being separated a week would not have mattered much after being apart for years but the last few days had been particularly difficult. Keiko's stories and history lessons were a constant reminder of the Vampire who stood in the flesh before her.

This time, Rose ran; closing that last gap between them by launching herself at him. The force of her impact made him step back slightly but the hand that curved gently at the back of her head assured her that he was not angry.

In fact, when she finally looked up at his face, he seemed relax and almost... happy.

"Put your hands here." He offered her the crook of his arm. "You will now be addressed as Lady Rose in the company of others. I expect you to behave likewise."

"Yes my Lord," she whispered; her voice cracking slightly from anxiety.

"My servants will see to it that you have everything." He bent to press a kiss on top of her hair. "Do not worry too much Rose. Scowling does not befit a Lady."

Entering the great hall, Rose did her best not to gawk, choosing instead to turn her head nonchalantly to flick a quick look at the intricate gold carvings and paintings on the wall all the way up to the ceiling. And from the rafters hung magnificent crystal chandeliers that glittered from the sunlight flooding through the ceiling high glass windows.

Rose only stopped staring when she noticed two guards at the end of the hall looking at her suspiciously.

"My Lord... and Lady." And the golden doors swung open for them.

Her first thoughts were that the dining table could fit a hundred people! For someone who had always eaten seated on the floor, the room was frighteningly opulent. Swath of gold on top of marble, crystal chandeliers and rich velvet drapes lined every corner.

But then her eyes focused on the few Vampires standing before them - some were frowning while some had excited looks adorning their faces -and Rose started to feel nauseous.

It didn't help when Lord Etienne simply handed her over to a group of tall, white-haired women with silvery judging eyes.

"When Nahia has finished feeding and clothing you, come up to my study." His last words before he disappeared into the many rooms of his castle.

Rose stood quietly before the women, eyes cast down, unsure of what to say or do. She was twiddling her fingers when someone shrieked from the middle of the group; her presence made known as she batted her way through the crowd.

"Oh Lady Rose, I am Nahia and I am the cook of the household. I cannot tell you how pleased I am to finally have a reason to cook! Tell me, what would my Lady like to eat?"

The pudgy woman before her looked so human; Rose almost wanted to cry out of relief.

"I... some pudding would be nice please."

And with that, Rose earned her first smile in the castle.

***

NB: Hope you're liking the story so far! By the way, the swords Muramasas and Musamune are actually real historical swords/swordsmiths. Have decided to incorporate the legend here as well.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 57 milliseconds