The Link Pt. 02: The Hunted

"So," Dad started as the food began to be passed around, "what are your plans for after graduation, Caleb?" Dad already knew, but at least it was an easy question.

"College mostly," Caleb responded, "not sure what I'll study yet. I like mathematics and engineering sounds appealing. My violin is still my favorite, but I guess I can do that no matter where I go."

"Music and math are closely related," Mom jumped in. "At least that's what I hear anyway."

"They are Mrs. Fuller," Caleb agreed. "Math is more finite, but sound waves are beautiful formulas and adhere to strict rules. Both disciplines enhance each other. Math supplies the rules and music the infinite ways to apply them." I was staring at him as his mind worked. I could hear his love of music in the words. I was sitting next to someone who understood his future, unlike me.

"Sounds like you want to be a violinist," Grandma said, moving salad to her bowl.

"It's difficult to make a living as a musician," Caleb said. It was his parents' voice in the words. "It's better if I study something more practical." Both Dad and Mom nodded in agreement. I wondered what happened to the 'do what makes you happy' speech they always gave me. I wanted to jump up and tell Caleb to do just that. If it wouldn't have embarrassed him, I would have.

"Something to be said for happiness as well," Grandma chimed in. I smiled at her. Let's see Mom and Dad contradict her.

"If you're miserable, what's the point of all the money," I added to Grandma's statement.

"And who says you'll be a broke musician," Grandma continued, smiling at me. "Plenty of them do very well for themselves." Caleb filled his mouth with mac and cheese so he could stall any response. I think he was telling my parents what they wanted to hear and didn't want to contradict it.

"Music is a big risk," Dad said offhandedly. "Now engineering guarantees you and your family security." I gritted my teeth when Dad mentioned family.

"Income makes life a lot easier," Mom agreed. "It gives you choices you wouldn't otherwise have." Grandma was looking at the two as if they were new people.

"Income is nice," Grandma agreed, "happiness is better." She quickly put food in her mouth to stall any questions that might come her way. I wanted to kiss her.

"Music does make him happy," I added. Caleb grinned at me with a mouth full of food.

"Where are you thinking of going," Dad asked Caleb. I could swear Caleb swallowed without chewing.

"MIT has accepted me," Caleb said after he wiped his mouth with his napkin, "but I'm waiting for Stanford to respond. My father met my mother there."

"Both are wonderful schools," Mom pointed out.

"They certainly are," Dad agreed. "Either would be a feather in your cap." Feather in your cap? What was wrong with Dad? He never cared what school anyone went to. He always said it is what you do with your life that's important, not how you got there.

"It's not where he wants to go," I blurted out. I realized too late that it was Caleb's decision whether to mention that. Grandma raised her eyebrows.

"Northwestern has an excellent string program," Caleb said, covering my words, "I met the head of the music department last year, and I really liked it. They eat and breathe music there."

"That sounds like a wonderful program," Grandma chimed in.

"It is," Caleb said. Then he proceeded to list the features of the program and everything he liked about it. He knew the names of the violin teachers, who currently held first-chair, and even a description of the dorm rooms. If you didn't know his desire before, you knew once he had slowed down and realized he was monopolizing the conversation.

"He likes his music," I summarized.

"Passion is important in any art," Grandma said. "You certainly don't lack for that." Mom and Dad were both silent during Caleb's description. I think they were disappointed.

"Do you intend to pursue your violin?" Dad asked. He was looking down at this plate, pushing his fork around the food, as if the answer didn't matter.

"Both MIT and Stanford have an orchestra," Caleb replied, "I'll minor in music and still get to play." He shrugged his shoulders, seemingly content with his lot. Dad brightened.

"The best of both worlds," Mom said. I lost my concentration and let some anger leak. It wasn't strong, just enough that Mom and Dad felt confused. I couldn't believe they would encourage Caleb to pursue something that didn't have his full heart.

"I'd do the music," Zane jumped in, "though it would be an electric guitar." He did a little air guitar with his fork and bobbed his head. Grandma laughed and the conversation began to change. It was lead by Grandma who steered it to the bands of her generation. A small war between generations ensued about whose music was the best. The older you are, the more you are convinced that the new music has no heart. Zane, Caleb, and I teamed up to inform the ancient ones of how childish their music was. I have to say it was a much better conversation than Caleb's future life choices.

What surprised me as the meal wound down, was how relaxed Caleb had become. He was stiff as a board when we first sat down. Now, his face held a smile, and he conversed with confidence. He even slipped in a well-timed pun which brought the table a few moments of laughter. There is something about bringing a friend home and finding my family likes him as well. It validated my choice, made me feel a little stronger.

Just before Caleb and I left, Grandma pulled me to the side, away from prying ears.

"I like him," Grandma said with a smile that said more than her words.

"So do I," I agreed, "as a friend." I didn't want her to get any ideas about where the relationship was heading. I wasn't going to attend MIT and Caleb was barely in my social circle.

"Well, if you're not interested," Grandma said, "maybe you can put in a good word for me." I laughed at how she said it. She sounded forty years younger, and her eyes looked serious. She hugged me and whispered in my ear, "It's okay to like him. He likes you." I held her next to me, sharing the love I felt for her. She was always so aggressive with her feelings. Dad had told me once, that she was trying to make up for ignoring life for many years. I wasn't sure what that meant, but I could feel it in her.

"I'm not ready," I whispered back. It was the truth. I doubted Caleb was the one for me. He was too damn smart and on the fast track while I was still waiting at the red light. I wasn't ready for anyone.

Chapter 8 - Caleb

What I thought would be hell was almost enjoyable. Teegan's family was not what I expected. Her mom and dad weren't as judgemental as I had envisioned. Her grandmother was the greatest surprise. I could only describe her as a flower child from the sixties. She didn't dress the part, but her desire for free will and happiness was contagious. In fact, the only fault I could find was her strange love of Bob Dylan. I always found his music too dark and raspy. "The words were the key," she had told me. For her sake, I would try his music one more time. Maybe there was something I was missing.

Mrs. Fuller insisted I come by again in the future. I could tell the request embarrassed Teegan, so I hesitantly agreed. It was a light promise anyway, meant at the time, but rarely enforced by either party. Strangely, I think I had made better inroads with Teegan's family than I had with Teegan herself. She was friendly enough. There was just no strong connection beyond the hand-holding that steadied me in the beginning.

I hated that Teegan saw my fear when I first arrived. Driving around the block four times before I finally committed had done little to lower my heartbeat. Her hand did wonders, and I didn't want to let go. It was done in friendship, at least on her side. When she first took it, I had an incredible desire to kiss her. It would have been the wrong time, and she probably would have sent me packing.

The family test was over. I was probably the only one grading it, but I gave myself a 'B.' Teegan didn't seem to disagree, her smile was real enough as we climbed into my car.

"Was it as horrible as you thought?" Teegan asked as she buckled into the front seat.

"Actually," I said, making sure my smile accented the words, "it was nice. I like your family." Teegan laughed unexpectedly.

"I think they liked you better than me," Teegan joked. I started the car, pleased with her humor. It wasn't true, but it was good to know that they liked me.

We traveled with few words. My brain was seizing up on discussion topics beyond school. After we had discussed the study group coming up, I turned on some music to fill the void. Teegan was comfortable with the silence. Asking her to the prom was the only thing in my head, and I was at a loss on how to bring it up. I knew we needed more conversation. Going to the prom together would require that we could hold a conversation. I decided to be honest, which was probably stupid.

"I can't think of anything to say," I said, looking ahead down the road. At least my eyes had something to do.

"Do you think we need to talk?" Teegan asked.

"Yes," I replied, "the silence seems wrong." I began to wish I had stuck with the silence.

"Maybe, I don't want to talk with you," Teegan said. I looked over in shock. She wore a large smile that went all the way to her eyes. I looked back to the road feeling my lips curling.

"You had me for a second," I admitted. Why did I enjoy her playing with me?

"You're easy to tease," Teegan said nicely. "You'll get better with practice." I looked over to find that smile aimed at me again. There was pride in it.

"You plan on teaching me?" I asked.

"Every chance I get," Teegan laughed. "Your cheeks blush, and you get a panicked look on your face. It shouldn't be fun, but it is."

"I guess you're right," I said, attempting humor, "it's hard for me to understand the weaker minds." I looked over and found her looking away, her hand near her eyes. I looked back at the road in a panic. "I...I'm sorry," I stammered, "I was trying to be funny." I couldn't believe I started this conversation. I looked back to find her trying to stifle a laugh.

"You're way too easy," Teegan said. This time, I laughed.

"I am driving, you know," I pointed out. "You're one heart attack away from a hospital bed."

"Are you threatening me?"

"Absolutely," I replied. "This is a tease-at-your-own-risk zone." I loved the way she smiled. I wished it were more for me than the humor.

Teegan did something I would have trouble duplicating. She changed the conversation without it feeling weird. We moved into movies and harmless gossip. It was effortless for her. Once done, it was easy to build off what she had started. I played with steering the conversation and she flowed along with me. After a while, I forgot that I was trying to talk and just talked. Time flew by and we arrived at the club before I had a chance to ask her to the prom.

"So this is where you're going to play," Teegan said as we walked toward the front door. It was a small venue called 'Tangerines.' It had an orange awning over a double glass front door. Probably an old factory, it had a solid brick facade with alcoves where windows once resided. On each side of the entrance stood bars as thick as my arm that ran from the sidewalk and curved into the side of the building. Mounted along the bars were small orange ball lights as if tangerines grew on vines. It must be impressive at night.

"This is it," I agreed. "I hope you're not too bored while we practice. The start is still a few hours off."

"I'll be fine," Teegan said with a smile. I could see some excitement in her eyes. She was enjoying the idea of the concert. I hoped the reality was as satisfying as the dream. Politely, I got to the door first and opened it for her. I received a timid 'thank you' with an equally timid smile. I maneuvered myself and my violin case in behind her. Our eyes needed time to adjust to the darkened lighting inside.

"Caleb!" was shouted from across the room. I smiled, recognizing Tom's voice. Without thinking, I took Teegan's hand in mine and swerved between the many tables toward the voice. I could feel her hand adjusting in mine, settling in like the last time. As we neared, our vision improved and I saw Tom and the rest of the band sitting at a table right in front of the small stage, just to left of an equally small dance floor. I reluctantly released Teegan's hand when we neared. It wasn't until we arrived that I realized we were being followed.

"They're with us Matt," Tom said. I turned around to see a rather large black man dressed all in black, his shirt sporting the Tangerines logo. He smiled which turned his ominous presence into a friendly one.

"Walk away from the front for just a second," Matt said, "and the whole world sneaks in." He moved closer. "You two have ID?"

"Yes," Teegan answered, unfazed by the man's size, "but we're not 21. I just came to see Caleb play." I liked how she smiled at me when she said it.

"Not a problem," Matt said. "I just have to put white bands on your wrists. Got to stay legal." It took him a moment to fix the bands around our wrists. We received a quick lecture about being thrown out if we were seen with alcohol or attempting to acquire it. "That small bar over there," Matt said as he pointed off to the side, next to the restroom sign, "is alcohol-free. That's where you go for drinks and snacks. No white bands are allowed at the main bar, only red bands." He pointed to the other side of the room where a bar stretched along almost the entire wall.

"I think we have it," I said. Teegan nodded in agreement.

"Good," Matt said, "then you two have fun. It's a great night for a date." He turned away before I had a chance to correct him. Teegan smirked at me. At least, she wasn't opposed to Matt thinking it was a date. I shrugged my shoulders and let him go unaware. If Teegan didn't mind, neither did I.

Tom introduced his band. The drummer Alfred had hair and beard like ZZ Top. A Native American beaded band was wrapped tight around his beard at his waist. I guessed it was to keep it out of the drums. The lead guitarist, Zachary, was tall like Gene, but bald and skinny. When he smiled, there wasn't a tooth hidden. He reminded me of an Igor-like character. The bass guitarist was heavy like Tom. Not fat, just carrying extra weight that announced a lack of exercise. Unlike Tom, Ray had all the color in his hair, a bright red that curled naturally. Tom's was a silver gray that fit his face well.

"This is Teegan," I said, as we were all making the rounds shaking hands.

"Hi," Teegan said excitedly. She was impressed with meeting the band. I was impressed with myself, bringing her here the first time we were alone together. Normally, I would have fumbled through a cheap dinner and a movie. Of course, then it would have been a date. This was infinitely safer.

"Caleb," Tom said with surprise in his voice, "you didn't tell me she was a stunner." Teegan lit up and my face heated. I tried to remember what I told Tom on the phone about her. I was so excited that Teegan was coming, I might have said more than I intended. "When he asked about a ticket for a friend, I never thought it was a woman. I must say, you brighten this place up like the sun."

"Stop flirting, old man." Teegan and I turned to see an older woman, contemporary to Tom, dressed in jeans with her hands on her hips. She had a smile on her face that contradicted her tone. Her eyes were younger than the crows feet at the edges of them. Her hair was laid long in blond waves whose color also defied her years. Tom laughed and walked around us.

"Caleb, Teegan, this is the most beautiful ball and chain in the world," Tom announced. "Wendy, my wife and flirt detector." He wrapped his hands around her waist and kissed her cheek.

"Nice to meet you, Wendy," I said. Teegan followed suit and we pulled up a few more chairs around the table. Wendy sat next to Teegan, and they started chatting as Tom and I started talking about the song we were going to do. The rest of the band was curious about the tune; Alfred even offered some percussion. The song would fail with drums, but I didn't need to decline. Tom was adamant that only he and I would perform it.

"You want to practice a bit?" Tom asked. "We can nail down the timing." It was a question, but I knew the only answer was yes. It's why I had come early.

"Hell, yes," I replied. I looked to Teegan, "You going to be alright for a bit?"

"Sure," Teegan replied.

"About two blocks down," Wendy interjected, "there's an old merchant district. It's got some unique stores. Why don't you and I go window shopping while these guys practice?"

"Absolutely," Teegan answered. She stood up with Wendy, and they said their goodbyes, promising to be back before the concert began. Tom and the band got up and collected their drinks to bring on stage. I waited a moment longer, watching the ladies leave. Both pairs of jeans wove between the tables as they headed toward the door. Teegan was a hair shorter and had a much better figure. From what I could tell, Wendy was sweet. Teegan was sweeter.

"Eyes off the asses," Tom said. Zachary started laughing. I tore my eyes away and headed on stage with my violin case. It certainly was a sexy ass.

Chapter 9 - Teegan

Wendy was exactly what I needed. I was afraid I was going to be sitting alone, twiddling my thumbs during practice. It's not that I wouldn't have. Sitting for that long was going to dent my ass and with no one to talk to, it may have felt longer than two hours. Wendy seemed practiced with it all and desired my company as well. I liked her sense of strong independence. She didn't ask Tom's leave and Tom didn't question her leaving. I could tell they were a couple, but they weren't glued at the hip. I only just met her and already I admired her.

"I'm glad you came," Wendy said as we left the club. "Tom will start playing, and the world disappears. It's like I don't exist until the music stops."

"It looks like he loves you," I commented. The way his hands moved around her waist and the soft kiss. It had meaning.

"When he's not playing," Wendy said with a chuckle. "Music is his mistress, and she's a demanding bitch." I laughed, surprised she thought me old enough for such language. Usually, adults toned it down in front of me. I was pleased she saw me worthy. "Isn't Caleb the same way?"

"I don't know," I replied, slightly blushing. "I just met him. We're not dating or anything." Wendy laughed as she signaled we were going to take a right at the corner.

"Did you tell him you're not dating?"

"Not in words," I replied. "He knows I'm just here as a friend, to hear him play."

"Well, don't break his heart too hard," Wendy continued as we rounded the corner. "Tom tells me he's a nice boy. If Tom likes him, I like him."

"Were not dating," I repeated, forcing a fake chuckle. "How can I break his heart if we haven't even been on a date?"

"Get some glasses, girl," Wendy said, pulling me close as we walked. "That boy couldn't keep his eyes off you. If he were Superman, you'd have holes in your butt right now." She sighed and released me, "I remember when Tom looked at me that way. I miss the new eyes."

"We're not dating," I said again. I was staring straight ahead trying to remember how Caleb looked at me. There were some out of place smiles, but I didn't remember any undo attention. Wendy laughed again.

"So you like him," Wendy surmised.

"I didn't say that."

"No," Wendy agreed, "nor did you say 'He's not my type' or 'Not in this lifetime.' " She was right. I didn't discount the possibility.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 20 milliseconds