The Link Pt. 02: The Hunted

"Who are you taking to the prom?" Amanda asked Caleb. I knew Amanda just wanted to let everyone know that Trent Peterson had asked her and needed an excuse to bring it up. I wished I could take her question back for her. Caleb was having trouble coming up with a response. The redness in his face the way his eyes drifted to the ground. He wasn't ready for full frontal asshole questions that were spouted without thought. I was surprised when he raised his eyes and looked directly at Amanda.

"I haven't asked anyone yet," Caleb said, "I have someone in mind, and, to be honest, I'm still working up the courage." His eyes were steady, almost daring her to comment.

"Damn, man," Gene jumped in, "time is running short. Like anyone is going to say no to you." Gene moved over and put his arm around Caleb's shoulder. "If she crushes your heart, then she's not worth your trouble." Everyone laughed. The last drop of my jealousy of Samantha dissipated in Gene's charm. I could have kissed him for claiming Caleb as his de facto brother.

"You should just ask," I said. I didn't want Caleb to end up without a date, like me. There was something about him, an intensity that I had never seen before. He didn't deserve to be alone. Everyone agreed, with some pointing out unique ways of popping the question. I could see that Caleb was getting overwhelmed. Lucky for him, the morning bell rang, and we had to get to our classes.

*****

"102?" Gene exclaimed as Caleb entered the lunchroom. I watched Caleb's face fill with color as he pretended it wasn't directed to him. "How in hell does anyone get a 102 on one of Prichard's tests?"

"Shh," I said, trying to quiet Gene down. He never was one for keeping his opinions to himself.

"Mr. Haverston!" Mr. Sampson called from the corner of the room. "Language!" Mr. Sampson was an assistant principal and the self-ordained lunchroom monitor. No one liked him much, but when he spoke, everyone listened. Gene rolled his eyes and waved Caleb over. I made room for Caleb by sliding my chair over. He sat down next to me.

"I got partial credit on the bonus problem," Caleb said. "Sorry," he added, ashamed of screwing up the curve.

"You're now officially the smartest person I know," Gene said. "I wish I had half your brains."

"I just study a lot," Caleb said.

"I studied my ass off and only got a 71," Gene said, shaking his head. "You understand this crap better than I do."

"Maybe, because he doesn't think it's crap," I said. Caleb and I shared a quick smile.

"Well, Ms. 86," Gene countered, "not all of us love math." Samantha joined us with a tray containing a piece of pepperoni pizza and a carton of milk.

"Hi Gene, Teegan," Samantha said, then looked at Caleb, "Einstein."

"Leave him be," I chuckled, "he's not going to blow a test just to up our grades."

"I wouldn't," Gene said. "I'd ride my brain right over the top of all of you." Samantha laughed. I think Gene thought she was laughing at him by his expression.

"I'm not trying to win or anything," Caleb said. "The problems just click, like music. I just know what needs to come next. I like the flow of it." Caleb pulled out a sandwich and soda from his backpack.

"So, teach me," Gene said, biting into his sandwich. Caleb looked up in surprise. Gene's eyebrows raised as if he had asked a question that required an answer.

"What?" Caleb floundered. Gene smiled as he finished chewing.

"I'm barely holding a C in Prichard's class," Gene said, "not exactly scholarship material. Basketball will only get me so far. I could use some help on the next test."

"I don't know if I could teach it," Caleb admitted.

"I suck," Gene laughed, "you got nothing to lose."

"Study group?" Samantha suggested, looking at me. I nodded, and that strange smile appeared on Caleb's face. I could have sworn it was for me, the way his eyes drifted toward mine. There was an honesty to the smile, but it lacked confidence. That's what made it look so odd.

"Sure," Caleb answered Samantha. There was no hesitancy in his answer, only in his eyes. I had a strange desire to push his unruly hair behind his ear. He needed it cut, maybe, shaped a bit to strengthen his features. I blinked and looked away, wondering why I was so worried about his appearance.

"Cool," Gene nodded before taking another bite of his sandwich. We decided to meet on Tuesday nights at Gene's house. Prichard always had a quiz on Wednesday, so it seemed a good test for the study group. Both Caleb and Gene had a long walk to gym next period, so they took off and left Samantha and me alone for a few minutes.

"Be careful," Samantha said, "he likes you."

"Who?"

"Einstein," Samantha replied, jerking her eyes to the back of Gene and Caleb leaving.

"As a friend, maybe," I laughed. "We've barely spoken in all the years we've been at school. If it wasn't for the mall, I doubt we'd even know each other existed."

"Oh, he knows you exist," Samantha said, with a smile. "Aren't you seeing him on Saturday?"

"Look, he's going to be on stage," I defended myself, "I'm going to be a friendly face. Just support. Besides, I listened to some of the Smooth Gliders stuff on YouTube. They're pretty good, and I don't turn down free concerts."

"I think you have a math geek date," Samantha laughed.

"God!" I said standing, "you'd think I'd get a little support from a friend." My anger flared for no good reason. I knew Samantha was joking, but I let it feel more like an insult. Would it be so bad if it was a date? I didn't even know if I thought it was an insult to Caleb or me.

"Sorry," Samantha said, all her humor gone. "I was just playing." She came around the table and gave me a hug. My anger dissipated.

"No public displays!" Mr. Sampson shouted.

"Yeah," Samantha said as she rolled her eyes, "like we're going all lesbo in the lunchroom." We broke the embrace in the midst of chuckles from the few surrounding students who heard Samantha.

"My office, Ms. Bennett," Mr. Sampson said, pointing the way. He had heard it as well. I gave Samantha a sympathetic look as she followed Mr. Sampson. I knew she was in for a dry lecture on politically incorrect language and insubordination. Nothing would come of it, but boredom. Mr. Sampson is all bark.

Chapter 5 - Teegan

"You're driving to Bangor by yourself? On a Saturday night?" Mom asked. I could hear the disapproval in her voice.

"I'm 18," I countered. I didn't expect blowback on my decision to go.

"I know." Mom smiled. "It doesn't mean you can risk your life and my heart." I gave her a stern look. "I'd feel a lot better if someone went with you. And who is this Caleb McGuire?"

"Just a friend," I said, trying not to get angry. She didn't trust my judgment.

"You must like him to travel all that way," Mom pointed out.

"He's a friend," I insisted, "I'm just there for support." It came out sharper than I expected. I took a breath, "You don't trust me."

"It's not a question of trust," Mom said. "More a question of experience. There's a lot of drunks on the road on Saturday nights. Not to mention the alcohol that will likely be there."

"You know I don't drink," I almost yelled. Some of my anger leaked, and I knew she felt it. I received surprised regret back.

"I'm thinking, Teegan," Mom almost growled, "I haven't said no." I bit down and blocked out everyone. I hated when bad feelings flowed with my words. She sighed. "Now you're even angrier."

"I promised him I'd be there," I said. "How am I supposed to tell him I can't go now."

"I didn't say you couldn't," Mom said strongly.

"You're leaning that way. I can hear it in your voice."

"I'm thinking about it," Mom said. "You're not helping your case."

"You're just pissed because I cut off Dad," I spat.

"Yes," Mom admitted, "Is that my penalty for being a mother?"

"For being an oppressive mother," I said and turned away. I had no idea why she would even consider saying no. I thought I was only letting her know where I was going to be. Maybe I should keep future destinations private. I left her there in the kitchen and went to my room. For emphasis, I slammed the door. Hadn't I just driven Zane to the mall. There should be more give for all that my family takes.

I sat heavily on the bed and texted Samantha. It's hard to put anger into a text. Summing it up in a concise statement is a difficult task.

Mom is being a jerk about Saturday >:(

-You're surprised

Doesn't trust me

-Mine won't cut the cord either

What do I tell Caleb

-She said no

She will - I can tell

-He'll understand

No he won't - I promised

-Sorry

Samantha was wrong. Caleb will take it personally. A new friend ditches him at his first request. I wondered if he would even believe me. I knew my mom's tone and figured she had already decided no and was looking for a way to make it sound reasonable. I hate when parents decide, then come up with the reason why.

I pumped some music into my ear buds and closed my eyes. I had to think of a way to make it up to Caleb, so he didn't think I was some jerk. Mom didn't say no yet, so there was still a small chance, infinitesimal as it was. Maybe, I could just go anyway. It's not like I wasn't old enough to make my own decisions. I drifted off to sleep no wiser about my dilemma.

A knock on the door broke through the music. I sat up and heard my name when I removed the earbuds. It was Dad.

"Your home," I said stupidly when I opened the door. He wasn't supposed to be home until tomorrow. His job often had him traveling to different construction sites.

"Teegan," Dad said without my normal hello smile, "why is your mom is crying?" The disapproval in his eyes hurt more than anything I could have imagined. I wanted her as angry as I was, not crying.

"She...I," I fumbled, "we kind of had an argument." I took a step back into my room and looked at the floor. Dad followed me in and pulled me into his arms.

"I missed you," Dad whispered. I hugged him back, happy we weren't arguing as well. "Go make up with your mother," he added, releasing me.

"But she doesn't trust me," I said, trying to sound sane.

"I trust you," Dad said, "I trust that you will apologize for using your bond as a weapon."

"I blocked," I said. "It's my mind, and I can do what I want with it."

"Yes," Dad said, "but doing it rudely against your mother is cruel."

"You're taking her side," I said.

"Always," Dad said as he turned to leave, "only because she's always on your side." I felt five years old again. Now I was angry at myself and Mom.

I watched Dad leave. He was more right than I wanted. He always yelled so quietly. Sometimes, I would prefer irrationality so I could vent. I thought about staying in my room and making Mom come to me. Maybe, she wouldn't come until tomorrow morning, and all my anger would be wasted.

If I go to Mom now, I concede defeat. If I don't go, I prove that I am a child. Dad makes every argument twice as hard. I sighed. The argument was over the moment he came home. I opened my mind and let my family in.

Dad flooded me with love, further weakening my resolve. I could almost feel him smile, though it was a proud one, not a victory lap. It was so hard to be angry when we shared.

Mom's love was close behind. It was wrapped in a cloak of forgiveness that defused the rest of my anger. I returned my love with the inevitable apology. My mother's apology surprised me.

I found them both in the family room. Dad was lounged on the couch with Mom curled into him.

"I'm sorry." I said it weakly, trying to mean it, but not loudly.

"So am I," Mom said clearly. Her smile coaxed out mine.

"Now, what's this Saturday thing?" Dad asked. Calmly, I explained about Caleb and my promise to see him play. I dropped my eyes and stated why I thought I was more than old enough to go alone to Bangor on Saturday night. For some reason, it was hard to look at Mom while I made my case.

"It scares me, Sam," Mom said. I looked up and saw the apprehension in her eyes. I couldn't help the love that leaked from me, nor block the same from her. It was fear, not mistrust that made her second guess my going. "She'll be all alone if anything happens."

"I agree," Dad said, "women shouldn't travel alone at night in the city. Especially to a concert venue." I felt my heart drop. He meant to stop me too.

"You travel alone all the time," I said meekly, motioning to Mom. It was a lousy argument, and I knew it. I was running out of debate material. Anger was no longer an option.

"Sweetie, I would never go to a bar or concert alone," Mom smiled warmly, "your Dad takes me."

"Sounds like you need someone to go with you," Dad said.

"I'm not sure I can get another ticket," I said.

"Call him," Dad continued, "if he can't get another, maybe your mom and I can drive you, and we'll find a place close by to grab some dinner." Mom squeezed him and smiled. I could feel the relief in her. I'm sure the embarrassment of my parents driving leaked right back at them. It didn't seem to bother either of them.

"I'm going to grow up someday," I added, trying one last attempt.

"Not this weekend, Stinky," Dad chuckled. Mom slapped his shoulder for being so crude. Her smile was too soft to make the chastisement meaningful. I rolled my eyes and pulled out my phone. I prayed I could get another ticket, maybe talk Samantha into going.

"The show's sold out, but you can ride with me," Caleb offered excitedly. I paused trying to figure out an answer. The night was becoming more and more like a date, and I wasn't sure Caleb understood it wasn't. He sounded too enthusiastic. "You'll get there a few hours early and have to put up with a few practice sessions, but it should be fun," he added when I didn't respond.

"Caleb says I can go with him," I told my parents, hoping they would know how to answer. Caleb overheard the question and waited patiently.

"I'd like to meet him," Mom said, obviously hedging her bet. "Have him come by for lunch before you two leave." My mind went blank. Not the answer I was looking for, but I was committed.

"Did you hear that?" I asked into the phone. I should have made the call privately and given myself more leeway.

"Ah...yeah," Caleb replied. I was so relieved to hear his awkward response. He may not want this to be date-like either.

"So?"

"Ah...sure," Caleb agreed hesitantly. "We'd have to leave around two, though." I relayed his reply, and my mother did the unthinkable.

"Good," Mom said, "have him come by around noon. We can all have a leisurely lunch." I stopped breathing thinking of a two-hour lunch with Caleb and my parents. I was too old for this type of oversight. What was going to be an evening of friendly support had turned into a small nightmare. We're all going to be staring at each other in silence for two painful hours.

"Ah...noon?" I asked, hoping he'd reconsider.

"Okay," Caleb responded after a brief pause. I was sure he was sweating it as I was. It was a small consolation knowing we both expected to be miserable. I could only hope the concert was good enough to make up for the cost.

"Alright," I committed, "I'll see you on Saturday, Caleb."

"See you Saturday, Teegan," Caleb said with what sounded like fear. I disconnected, and my father's smile grew to something bordering on victorious.

"Happy?" I asked.

"Yes," Dad replied, "I like meeting the men who are taking my daughter out."

"It's not a date!" I said much louder than necessary. Mom smiled at my reaction. "Aggh," I added as I turned and left them to have a chuckle at my expense. I would have blocked them both, but Dad was swamping me with love and security. A damn drug I wasn't sure I wanted to live without.

Chapter 6 - Sam

"Good morning, Cindy," I said, surprising our receptionist. Chadwick construction was a fairly large firm but had a small office staff. Most of the workers were in the field. I swam in both pools.

"Sam!" Cindy said with a pleasant smile, "We weren't expecting you until tomorrow."

"Unfortunately, we ran into some problems," I said seriously, then smiled back. "Fortunately, it allowed me to surprise Natalie last night."

"Having a happy wife has to be better than a happy boss," Cindy joked. I noticed she changed her hair again. About twice a year she did something dramatic to it. This time, it was cut short, almost boyish, and dyed a deep brown. It made her look a little athletic although I knew strenuous activity wasn't on her agenda.

"Why will I be unhappy?" Jerry asked, walking in behind me. He leaned over the receptionist counter. "You can always get a new wife; bosses sign the paycheck." He was in his gray suit, the one he wore when he wanted to impress someone. That someone was never me.

"I had to delay the Pinckney project," I replied, "probably another three months." Jerry waved me into his office with a grunt. "Nice hair," I complimented Cindy quietly, though I liked the last style better. The lie was worth her smile. I followed Jerry.

Jerry signaled for me to sit in one of the chairs in front of his desk as he went to the credenza to start the coffee pot. There was always a fresh pitcher of water next to the coffee maker. I suspected it was Cindy's duty. Probably why she'll have the job forever.

"Why am I eating $150,000?" Jerry asked. He didn't look at me as he continued prepping the pot with filter and coffee. Delays in a project of Pinckney's size were about $50,000 a month. It was planned for, so most of Jerry's words were bluster.

"Carbon content was too high," I sighed. "I had to reject the steel." I am the materials expert for Chadwick construction. It took five years to get the engineering degree and to this day, I am still surprised that anyone trusts me to handle the task. I had Teegan to thank. The events that she unknowingly triggered as a baby steered me into the life I know today.

"The building had better have fallen, or I'll have your ass," Jerry said as he poured the water.

"It wouldn't have handled the lateral stresses we planned for," I clarified. "Earthquake or high winds would have weakened it greatly. I refused to sign off though Alloy Partners was pushing hard."

"Screw them," Jerry said as he moved to his desk. "I want you at the mill when the new bars come off the line. Let's test them there so that we can shorten any further delay."

"I just got back home, Jerry," I complained.

"Yeah, I know. Happy wife and all," Jerry said as he shifted some papers around on his desk. "How is the family?"

"Fine," I said, then sensed a trap, "but they won't be if I'm always on the road." Jerry laughed. I guess he was going to use my 'fine' against me.

"How about you do a quick back and forth early next week? One night?" Jerry asked with eyebrows raised.

"I could do one night," I replied.

"Good, I don't trust Alloy Partners as far as I can throw them," Jerry continued. "You look over the New York project?"

"Briefly," I answered, "I'll take a better look this morning. What I did see looks good. No glaring red flags."

"I'll want you at the kickoff meeting on the tenth," Jerry ordered.

"No problem."

"Sanders is taking the lead, and I don't want another screw up like last time," Jerry said, making a fist and knocking on the desk. "Let him know that he can call you if he runs into a problem, okay?"

"Sure." We spent a few moments talking about Cindy's new hairstyle. Jerry wanted to bet that the next one would be a mohawk. He had a way of thinking all of his employees were younger brothers and sisters. Sometimes his comments bordered on rude, but when is anyone ever nice to a younger sibling. He never meant anything by it.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 17 milliseconds