The Link Pt. 03: The Huntress

"What will you tell the FBI?" Caleb asked.

"You mean the military," Cruthers said, "they're the civilian mouthpiece. I'll give them what they want, a lone wolf scenario. An isolated soldier had a breakdown that didn't seem to have any logical motive. It's best if they think I'm ignorant of the facts."

"It lessens Jason's sacrifice," I said, feeling a rock in my throat again. Bonding through his death was too powerful. It froze him in mind, making me part of who he was.

"I'll key on Jason's heroics," Cruthers responded. "I'll make sure everyone knows his dedication to duty and the lives he saved." I gave the detective a weak smile. It would have been better if he had survived. Knowing me was his downfall.

"I don't want anyone else hurt," I admitted, "and certainly no more death. I just want it to stop. I'll trade all of this," I waved my hands around the library, "for a normal life with Caleb." A wave of love hit me, a huge burst of ditto from Caleb. I smiled inwardly, not wanting anyone to confuse my smile with the pain of Jason's death.

"Then we have to find these religious nuts," Cruthers said. "Let me gather some information; then we can link again and ..."

"It's not a toy," I interrupted.

"But..."

"I have no idea why I'm on this planet," I interrupted Cruthers again, "but it's not to be some kind of human internet." Cruthers raised her eyebrows as I snapped at her. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "Sorry," I said.

"Too much death," Caleb said for me.

"Okay," Cruthers said, "I'll do it the old fashioned way. But if they find you first, don't ride your convictions to the grave." She was upset, the first person that I knew besides Corbett who was angry at not being able to bond again. Caleb agreed with my conclusions, though he couldn't argue the point. The bond was us, and not being able to do it was beyond painful.

"I'm sorry," I said again. Cruthers sighed, closed her eyes and smiled. A small chuckle escaped her lips.

"Is everything the link shows me the truth?" Cruthers asked.

"I'm not sure," I replied, "I guess one version of the truth."

"It wouldn't show me something wrong, would it?"

"I don't understand what you mean," I said.

"Can we talk in private?" Cruthers whispered.

"I'll just chase down some more coffee," Samuel said as he left the room. Cruthers looked at Caleb, then shrugged.

"This is as alone as I can get," I said honestly.

"I saw something while we linked," Cruthers said. "Barry's, my husband's, thoughts."

"That happens a lot," I said. "If you're worried, I rarely see what's shared. I didn't even see the Crosby thing."

"We had a fight last night," Cruthers continued, "about me pulling an all-nighter again. I could see his frustration, and, well, something else. The way he sees me. Does it lie about that?"

"Why does it always let women cheat so easily?" Caleb asked.

"Cheat?"

"What did you see?" I asked, hoping it wasn't something hateful. Cruthers face turned ten different shades of red. She was struggling to come up with the words. It was no longer necessary to explain. "Ahh," I said, adding a smile, "It's all lies, but not in Barry's mind. I think it's love that lies to men." Cruthers covered her mouth with her hand, and we shared a smile.

"It's really not fair how that works," Caleb added, "let one side see and the leave the other in the dark."

"We need more information than men," I said, pulling Caleb close, "besides, it's not like it works that way for us anymore." Cruthers was about to say something, but Victor returned carrying a thick folder.

"Here're copies of everything we have on Anthony," Victor said, "and this jump drive has the security camera video."

"Thanks," Cruthers said, accepting the folder.

"And here's the card of the investigative agency we use, " Victor continued, "I've notified them that they may receive a call from you. I've authorized them to lend whatever assistance you require."

"I'm not used to resources like this," Cruthers said, taking the card, "this should be interesting."

"Don't risk your job or anything," I said.

"No worries," Cruthers said, shifting to leave, "I walk the line, but never cross it." She moved toward the door. "At least, not while anyone is looking." Victor ran ahead and opened the door for her, which seemed to please her.

"Thank you," Caleb called. Cruthers nodded and continued on her way. Victor followed her out, presumably to open the front door for her.

"Do you think Cruthers will dig too deep?" Caleb asked me, once we were alone.

"I hope not," I replied, "they shot Zane and killed Jason. I would prefer that that is the limit of their damage. I certainly don't want her to fall to my curse."

"We just need to find them first," Caleb agreed. "Hopefully, she can help with that."

"God help them when we do find them," I said, trying to slow my building anger. "I'm not sure we want the law around when we do."

Chapter 8 - Captain Garcia

"What do you mean you couldn't move, Captain?" Colonel Righthouse asked.

"All of us were forced to our knees, sir," I replied. "We couldn't move. My muscles refused to listen to my mind. I can honestly say that I feared for my life."

"You think she could have killed you?" Righthouse asked.

"Her?" I said, "I think she saved me. It was McGuire that was tearing up Corporal Rodriguez. Blood was flowing from his nose and eyes and I had a sense he wasn't going to stop with the Corporal."

"There's two of them?"

"I didn't know there was one of them, sir," I said, with a tone that was meant to broadcast my dislike of being left in the dark. Being at the mercy of another human being had a way of making a person reconsider his loyalties.

"Need to know, Captain," Righthouse said. "I'm sorry you were put into that position, but we were strapped for time, and you were the closest unit. We had no idea she would be running and certainly not back to Portland."

"She wanted to join with me," I told him. It was wrong to enjoy the shock on his face, but I took pleasure in it.

"You didn't!' Righthouse demanded.

"No, sir," I replied, "though I believed she meant it as a way of cooperation. Before the Corporal attacked, she was trying to solve our needs on her own terms." I sighed too loudly. "Had I known what was going on, I could have negotiated something that would have satisfied her and us."

"I'm ordering a review of your unit. Every one of them needs to be cleared again." Righthouse stated, "We can't afford another Rodriguez." I nodded as the the colonel stood from his desk and began to pace. "Do you think she would meet with you again?"

"I suspect she'll shield herself behind lawyers, sir" I replied. "I would prefer she and her boyfriend cool down a bit before I even attempt to re-engage. They're not a couple you want to anger."

"We have another contact," Righthouse said, pointing at a chair. I sat and watched him pace as he spoke. "A scientist who has befriended her and understands all that's going on. He hasn't been as upfront with us as we would like, but I don't think she'll deny his visit."

"Are you asking my opinion, sir?"

"Who the hell else is here, Captain?" Righthouse said.

"I can't give a good opinion without all the information, sir," I said. Righthouse stopped his pacing and looked out the window. I waited as he considered whether to fill me in, or send me on my way. At that moment, I would have preferred to be sent away. The drooling image of a mindless Corporal Rodriguez was foremost in my mind.

"This stays in this room," Righthouse said.

"Yes, sir," I said. What followed shook my faith in government. To find out that we had willingly participated in DNA manipulation for strategic advantage was beyond anything I had expected. A desire to create super soldiers was on the edge of my mind as Righthouse explained that the knowledge was necessary for future planning. I began to understand Ms. Fuller's desire to mend fences. Her statements now made sense, and we ruined it all by being a robotic organization instead of human. Righthouse thought of her as an asset, no different than any other weapon in our arsenal.

"Do you have an opinion now, Captain?" Righthouse asked, once the briefing was complete.

"Send her your apology, sir," I said. "Give her the recognition she desires and let her control the situation."

"After all that you've seen," Righthouse said, "the power that both of them possess, and the only thing you can offer is an apology?"

"She's didn't sign up for this, sir," I responded. "You have to ask her. Politely."

"She's our god damn creation!" Righthouse shouted, slamming his fist on the table.

"Maybe, but she's holding all the cards, sir," I said. I should have taken her hand in the car when she asked. There was a kindness in her.

"If she's a threat," Righthouse said, "there're other ways it can be dealt with." I cringed inside at how he said it. "National security can be invoked."

"We are the threat, sir," I said. "One of our own tried to kill her." Righthouse waved away my words and began pacing again. I was beginning to wonder if this whole conversation was leaving the realm of legality.

"Maybe you're right," Righthouse said, slowing his movements. "Do you think she'd accept an apology, a verbal one? It's not something that can be put in writing."

"That depends, sir," I said, "is it sincere?"

"I'll issue an apology for Corporal Rodriguez's actions," Righthouse said, his tone brightening as a new plan formed, "Do you think they'll agree to come on base for an interview, maybe a demonstration?"

"They don't trust us, sir," I said. "And I don't think Ms. Fuller has any desire to be an asset of the US military."

"It's her country, too," Righthouse countered. "Does she love it or not?"

"Right now, she thinks her country is out to kill her," I replied. "We'll be lucky to interview her on her own terms." Righthouse began pacing again, his hand stroking his chin. I began to wonder how he got to be a Colonel. There was a strong streak of patriotism in his every decision, but the lack of common sense weakened it.

"Would she offer to join with you again?" Righthouse asked quietly. He was looking away from me when he asked. A hundred things went through my mind, and I saw my officer bars falling from my shoulders.

"If she said yes and I did," I questioned him, "would you, or the army, ever trust me again, sir?" He was asking me to compromise myself. Righthouse began pacing again, his eyes looking everywhere but at me. His lack of an answer was answer enough.

"If I ordered you to?" Righthouse asked.

"It would finish me," I said.

"I could create a new position," Righthouse said, "permanent liaison to Ms. Fuller. We would learn what we need, and you could press our position if her...skills were required."

"I'll never get a command," I said, realizing it would destroy my dreams. Memories of John Wayne in The Longest Day still haunted me from my childhood. I dreamed of leading men on a battlefield. The honor of victory and now Righthouse was asking me to throw it all away so he had a chance at a new weapon.

"We either control the threat, or we eliminate it," Righthouse said, turning to me. His statement had a finality to it. For the first time in my career, I questioned the wisdom of joining the army. She wasn't going to be controlled, the best we could hope for is a little cooperation.

"She's an American citizen," I said.

"They dropped a squad to its knees," Righthouse said, "and turned Rodriguez into a simpleton. Do you really think I can let that kind of power run loose in this country, the same country I'm sworn to protect?" I could see the determination on his face.

"You're asking me to fuck my career," I said bluntly.

"I'll fuck it if you don't do it," Righthouse said.

"You're a bastard, sir," I said, knowing I had lost all control. I was screwed either way.

"I'll make sure combat pay is added to your salary," Righthouse continued, "you'll report directly to me and to no one else. Civilian clothes, no uniforms when you're off post."

"Shit!" I said, watching my life being changed by some asshole's mere thoughts.

"I'll give you some leeway today, Captain," Righthouse said, "but in the future, there will be a 'sir' after every 'shit'. For now, return to your unit and prepare for the review. First, we'll make sure there are no more Rodriguezes."

"Yes, sir," I said, trying to make the sir sound like asshole.

"This conversation doesn't leave this room, Captain," Righthouse said, "I'll initiate our apology through the third party I mentioned. If I can get you an audience, you'll take it. I must know their full capabilities."

"Yes, sir," I said robotically. I was committed to two more years in the armed forces. There would be no re-up for me. I smiled to myself as I walked out of Righthouse's office, wondering if Corbett Industries could use an ex-officer.

Chapter 9 - Anthony

"No, sir," I replied. I had to breathe, letting the hospital smell invade my nostrils yet again. The odor was a foul chemical based stink that scarred the insides of my nose."The man failed."

"And we lost one of our military contacts," Sabbatini said, his anger was blatant in his tone. I disliked him thinking I failed.

"It wasn't planned. He took it on his own initiative, without my instruction," I said, defending my part in the poor results.

"Do we have to fear Righthouse now?" Sabbatini asked.

"From what I've been able to understand," I said, "he's more concerned with her...I mean 'it'... than us. One of our other contacts said it's gone closed door, but he's heard some scuttlebutt that fear is replacing the curiosity."

"Maybe you should stoke the fires of these fears. It could convince the military to deploy their more clandestine resources," Sabbatini said. "I don't care who kills it, though I had hoped it would be you."

"Is that what you want?" I asked, ashamed about the repeated failures.

"Don't take it so damn personally," Sabbatini said, waving away my shame. "It's the human race we're concerned about, not your ego."

"Yes, sir."

"Start a few rumors," Sabbatini continued, "have them fed to the military. Something about other unexplained deaths and strokes in its vicinity. Maybe if it has to dodge the government, it will create opportunities for us."

"What if they grab it, bring it underground?" I asked. Sabbatini laughed. It was one of his maniacal laughs that I hoped the nurses couldn't hear.

"It is too powerful to be taken," Sabbatini said, coughing between chuckles. "It must be taken out by surprise. The military thinks at turtle speed. Use them as a distraction."

"It has money now," I said, "that will make it more difficult."

"Wealth will involve more people," Sabbatini said. "You should be able to identify one or two that love our Lord and can't be tempted by evil." It always amazed me how he could find a silver lining in every failure. He looked decrepit, but still, his mind worked like the first day I met him. Had it really been thirty years?

"At least we should be able to acquire an itinerary," I added.

"Yes, and that will create opportunities," Sabbatini said. "No attempt can be telegraphed, that's obvious. It has to be quick, quicker than thought."

"Another sniper?" I asked.

"Or an explosive," Sabbatini replied, "big enough to limit the chance of failure."

"It could harm others," I said, surprised at his vehemence.

"This demon will destroy this world," Sabbatini growled, "sending a few other souls to our Lord early, shouldn't deter us."

"No, it shouldn't, sir," I agreed. Sabbatini's devotion was absolute, so much stronger than mine. I looked at his feeble body and wondered if he would push me aside if he could. "What about its family? We could take one as hostage, possibly bring it to us."

"You really think you can use its followers as bait?" Sabbatini said as if I were a child. "It would either leave them to die or most likely use them to ferret us out. It no longer needs to be physically present to use its power." The revelation surprised me. Sabbatini was truly God's messenger to surmise so much from the evidence I had given him. I had barely suspected it myself. "No, surprise is the only weapon we possess. Kill it before it knows the strike is coming."

"Yes, Sir,"

"Good," Sabbatini said, then waved me away. I bowed my head slightly and exited the room, happy to leave and regain some of the strength my mentor always drained from me. Exiting the care facility, I breathed deeply, trying to replace the foul air that lingered in my nose.

I knew nothing about bombs. It would take research and talking with ex-military again. I wasn't comfortable with the sniper, and now I had to find a demolition expert with loose morals or religious zeal. Sabbatini was correct; collateral damage shouldn't be a consideration. I needed to be stronger, more like him. God's warriors couldn't be weak, not with the world at stake.

Chapter 10 - Caleb

I thought the death of Jason marked the worst day of my life. It was nothing compared to experiencing Teegan's pain during his funeral. His death was a blip, compared to my love's heart shattering with every useless word the minister spouted. It was the first time I wished I could only see the tears and not share the pain of her death bond with Jason. She had died with him.

Trying to lessen Teegan's pain was useless. Physical pain I could grasp with my mind and pull into me, but this was something deeper. All I could do was share it and beg God that it would stop. It was overwhelming her, and she chose to let it grow as some kind of penance. I couldn't fight it. My love was nothing but a bandaid over a gushing wound.

Teegan approached Jason's mother, a small woman who only seemed half aware of what was going on. Mrs. Tisdale was slumped in a wheelchair with sparse gray hair barely covering her head. Her eyes looked down, seemingly unable to focus at distance. A nurse in blue sweater stood behind the chair, leaning over every once in awhile speaking words directly in her ear. Teegan kneeled before her, and I sucked in my breath as her terrible grief flooded me, a black cloud that smothered most of what I knew Teegan to be.

"Mrs. Tisdale," Teegan said, the syllables jerky as she struggled to get the words out, "your son died saving me." I couldn't stop my eyes watering as Teegan's pain increased. I wanted to pull her away from the woman, make her forget the unforgettable. I was helpless.

"You know my Jason?" Mrs. Tisdale asked. I wasn't sure if she understood that he was dead.

"He loved you dearly," Teegan said, nodding her head.

"He didn't come to visit," Mrs. Tisdale said. "He always comes on Tuesday." She turned to her nurse, "Jason didn't come, did he?"

"No, Mrs. Tisdale," the nurse said, then leaned down to whisper in her ear. I could see the confusion in Mrs. Tisdale's face.

"May I have your hand, Mrs. Tisdale?" Teegan's voice broke, and I could feel her struggling to hold back sobs. I knew what she intended, and I wanted for all the world to stop her. It wasn't my place to stop what she felt was her duty.

Teegan took Mrs. Tisdale's offered hand, and I closed my eyes. I felt Teegan's music change to something, not us, a softer slower beat. My fingers moved instinctively, forming the positions necessary to make the cords as if my violin was in my hand. I waited, clenching my jaw for what I knew was coming.

"My baby," Mrs. Tisdale called out. Pain swamped Teegan and in turn covered what little was left of my control. I covered my eyes with my hand as Teegan shared all that she could of Jason with his mother. Jason's last thoughts were of her, and Teegan made sure she knew. Mrs. Tisdale's sobbing echoed in the church as she pulled Teegan into her arms. The nurse tried to separate them, but Mrs. Tisdale pushed her off. Lucidity, driven by the bond, gave her the strength.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 30 milliseconds