The Link Pt. 03: The Huntress

"That first shooter was an ex-army sniper," Samuel continued, "maybe the army was here to speak to you, find out where they went wrong with one of their own. It's not a leap to think another soldier was hired to finish what the first one failed."

"A businessman with ties to the military," Victor said. "The military would never want it to get out that they're inadvertently training assassins. Might be why they refuse to talk."

"I'll suggest the theories," Samuel told us, "you two just answer questions as succinctly as possible. No embellishments." Both Victor and I agreed.

We found Detective Cruthers lounging in a chair with a mouth full of scone. She smiled and covered her mouth with her hand as she finished chewing. It was an unladylike picture that didn't overly concern her. Maybe cops were more immune to social embarrassment.

"Sorry," Cruthers said, then finished the last bit in her mouth. "Pulled an all-nighter and skipped breakfast this morning."

"They're here to be eaten," Victor said, "help yourself."

"Detective Cruthers," Samuel began, "I'm Samuel Fortunato, of Briggs, Sanders, and Walsh. I'll be present as legal counsel for Mr. McGuire, Ms. Fuller, Mr. Watterson, et al."

"Is Ms. Fuller joining us?" Cruthers asked. She was refilling her cup from the coffee dispenser, not looking at Samuel when she asked.

"I'm afraid she is exhausted," Samuel replied, "The attack and subsequent death of Mr. Tisdale weighed heavily on her. For health reasons, we felt it best that we let her sleep."

"Shame," Cruthers said, lifting her head, "I was looking forward to speaking with her." She sighed, "I guess it will have to wait until she's feeling better."

"In the meantime," Samuel continued, "Mr. McGuire and Mr. Watterson have agreed to be at your disposal." Cruthers' face shrugged with seeming indifference as she looked at me. There was always a pause, slightly longer than necessary before she spoke to me. This time was no different.

"Who's trying to kill your girlfriend?" Cruthers asked, then leaned back in her chair pulling her coffee with her. The question caught me off guard.

"I thought you have him," I replied, "the soldier." Cruthers took her time and sipped her coffee while looking at me. I wasn't sure what she was looking for, but it was beginning to make me uncomfortable, so I built up a little anger to strengthen my resolve. Both Victor and Samuel ignored the question and took seats on the couch across from Cruthers.

"We have what was a soldier," Cruthers continued, "not unlike a previous attacker in Maine. It seems there is a rash of sudden massive strokes going on." She took another sip of her coffee and waited for me. I was silent since there was no question.

"It may have something to do with Ms. Fuller's current legal status," Samuel said, giving me a reprieve. Inside, I was relieved. My jump in emotions woke Teegan.

"Legal status?" Cruthers asked.

"She is the sole heir to Mr. Corbett's estate," Samuel added. Cruthers' eyebrows went up. I suspect a lot of pieces were coming together in her mind. "It was going to be made public soon."

"Lucky girl," Cruthers said.

"She would disagree," I said with Teegan emphasizing from afar. "Her brother's been shot, and now Jason has died. That isn't luck." I stopped, reconsidering the tone I had just used. Samuel didn't seem pleased with the outburst. Concise, I reminded myself.

"I guess you're right," Cruthers said, "I was thinking out loud. I didn't mean to sound callous." She paused again, looking directly at me. I offered nothing more, not wanting to wreck Samuel's strategy. "You're a lot younger than I expected," Cruthers added.

"How is all this related to the incident of last night?" Samuel asked forcibly.

"I'm trying to cross the 'T's and dot the 'I's," Cruthers said to Samuel, "I'm pretty sure I know what happened, it's the why that concerns me."

I could feel Teegan considering her words. I agreed that Cruthers was smart but believed our lawyer could handle her.

"I don't believe that anyone here," Samuel said, "especially Jason Tisdale, who died heroically mind you, facilitated these events."

"Something's missing, Mr. Fortunato," Cruthers said, not looking the least bit intimidated. "It is my duty to find out all I can about the attack last night. I am Mr. Tisdale's advocate, and I agree he was indeed heroic. I am also charged with making sure something like this doesn't happen again. It didn't take much to find out this is the third incident to surround Ms. Fuller and Mr. McGuire." She paused a moment and looked back at me. "Two deaths, her brother in the hospital, and two of the attackers have lost all mental capacity. Massive strokes they tell me."

Teegan fought back tears at Cruthers crass description of the last few days. I was glad she wasn't physically present and mentally hugged her. This whole situation was taking a toll on us both. I would have preferred to be at the prom, oblivious of assassins and wealth. Teegan latched onto the image of us dancing and let her love flow. I responded in kind, welcoming the short reprieve in the oppressive sadness of Jason's death.

"Is something funny?" Cruthers asked. I lost the smile on my face, not realizing it had grown there. It's difficult holding multiple conversations.

"No," I replied without elaboration.

"I saw a video online," Cruthers pressed, "You moving like an action star up a flight of stairs, taking out guys twice your size." Teegan's anger flared. She was beginning to dislike Cruthers. "You look too young for the skills, and I don't mean to insult you, but you lack the physique I would have expected."

"Again," Samuel jumped in, "what has this got to do with last night?" Cruthers turned to Samuel, her eyes sharpened.

"Someone is trying to get to Ms. Fuller," Cruthers said, "and it seems Mr. McGuire has some extraordinary abilities. Is he a boyfriend or a bodyguard?"

"Self-defense training is not a crime," Samuel said, "nor a motive. I'm surprised at you Detective. You're questioning the victims as if they are to blame for the crimes against them."

"I spoke with a General Cooper earlier," Cruthers continued, "it was as high as I could go. They're pleading national security and have sheltered my military witnesses on base. The FBI has called me twice, wanting updates on my progress and wondering why I haven't closed the case." She took a sip of her coffee, then interrupted Samuel who was about the speak. "I hate being shut out of things and making decisions with only half the information. I especially hate being told how to do my job. I'm no genius, but I can see that Ms. Fuller is in a world of trouble, and Mr. McGuire is knee deep with her. Hiding in the middle of it all is the real reason for the attacks. And how in hell do two seemingly healthy assholes have massive strokes on command?"

Teegan sighed and rose from the bed. A brief exchange and we decided that Cruthers wasn't going to let things go. The inheritance angle wasn't going to work. Cruthers mind worked too quickly.

"What the hell was the military doing here in the first place?" Cruthers continued. "Are you trying to convince me they escort heiresses now? And they left one of their own and hustled back to base, away from civilian law. Why is this a national security issue?"

"I thought the scones were supposed to make you less cranky," Victor said.

"I lied," Cruthers admitted, "Hunger makes me forget my morals."

"Maybe a break is in order," Samuel offered, though it sounded more like a demand.

"Teegan's on her way down," I informed them.

"And how would you know that?" Cruthers asked me quickly, her quizzical eyes searching the corners of the room. "Is this meeting being recorded?" I went to the door and opened it just as Teegan approached. The timing surprised everyone but Victor.

"Nothing is recorded," Teegan said, then looked at Victor, "right?"

"There haven't been cameras in this house since your last visit," Victor said, "We still maintain some on the outside. Security purposes only."

"I really think this interview is at an end," Samuel said. He stood to use his mass to emphasize the point.

"I didn't see any cameras out there," Cruthers said. Victor sighed. "You've been here before?" Cruthers added to Teegan.

"I'm ending this now," Samuel said, turning to us. Teegan moved toward him, and I followed at her side.

"She's not going to let this go," Teegan said to Samuel. He looked confused, not realizing that Teegan had heard everything. "I assume you're confused as well." It was funny watching the expression on his face turn from fierce predator to teddy bear. Teegan looked so small next to him, but there was a power emanating from her. "I warn you, the last time I disregarded someone's advice, Jason died."

"You have rights," Samuel said, "they can protect you."

"It's the people around me that seem to need the protection, Mr. Fortunato," Teegan said. She turned to the detective. "Are you sure you want to know?"

"I want to know if there's video of the attack?" Cruthers countered.

"Yes," Victor said. Samuel looked defeated.

"I can do one better," Teegan said, "it will also explain a lot more." Cruthers looked questioningly at her. "It requires a level of trust. Can you trust me, Detective Cruthers?"

"I don't trust anyone but my husband," Cruthers replied. "And I want a copy of the video."

"It will take only a moment," Teegan said.

"It is necessary if you want to understand the whole story," I added. Cruthers looked at me, then back at Teegan. There was a brave fear in her eyes like she had a sense of things beyond the ordinary. It was the two that had the stroke that frightened her.

"What caused the strokes?" Cruthers asked, verifying my assumptions.

"Anger," Teegan said. "The first one shot my brother."

"The second attacked Teegan," I added. "Not something I could tolerate."

"I have an ability," Teegan said, "it can be horribly warped when we or someone we love is threatened. It's become more of a curse."

"It's a blessing," Victor countered. Samuel looked confused like we were all confessing to murder. He wasn't used to having no control of a situation.

"Blessings don't kill people," Teegan said. Memories of Jason's last moments flooded her mind and filled mine. I moved to her side and wrapped my arm around her. "Do you want to know or not?" Teegan asked Cruthers more forcibly.

"Yes," Cruthers said after a moment's thought. Curiosity made her a good detective and was her greatest weakness. Teegan held out her hand. Cruthers hesitantly reached out and took it. I watched her expression leave confusion and enter the bliss of an initial bonding. I felt, through Teegan, her dedication to work and her husband. She prided herself in seeing how far she could bend rules to achieve her goals, usually solving crimes, but more recently the resolution of a vehicle warranty issue that pissed her off. Her smile deepened, and I saw a trickle of blood form beneath her nose. Teegan quickly broke the link.

"Damn!" Cruthers said, "I think I just solved the Crosby murders." She absently wiped the blood from her nose. "Who are you and how do I learn to do that?"

Chapter 7 - Teegan

Besides Caleb, Detective Cruthers was the most enthusiastic person I had ever bonded with. She had latched on and drove to use the bond to solve issues on instinct. I would have expected our music to be similar, but it wasn't. Hers was a deep bass like throbbing, almost like native drums. It took Caleb and I a long time to convince her of the cost of such activity, beyond a mere bloody nose. I had to bond with Samuel as well, just to keep the confusion in the room to a minimum. He was amazed, but like Victor thought it was more a blessing than a tool.

"So what are these Crosby Murders?" Victor asked, trying to understand Cruthers' earlier statement.

"A cold case," Cruthers said, "It fell to my desk when my mentor retired. He was obsessed with it, which naturally piqued my interest as well. I always felt I could solve it, you know, prove my worth, but a forty-year-old murder is a tough nut to crack." She laughed to herself. "Imagine, it was the old curtains that were the giveaway. Those two boys were too young to die like that and to think it was the old biddy all the time. Too bad their grandmother passed away so many years ago. I hate when someone gets away with murder."

"She killed her own grandchildren?" I asked, unable to relate that to my grandmother.

"For the inheritance," Cruthers said excitedly, "The parents died in an accident, leaving everything to the twin boys. That left Grandma out in the cold since her son was no longer there to care for her. The state decided she was too old and feeble to care for the boys, so family services were going to place them in a foster home. She turned to desperate methods. She fooled everyone, probably milked her age. Brilliant in a way."

"How do curtains lead you to her?" Caleb asked.

"It was her hobby, her love," Cruthers said, "quilts, clothes, curtains, anything else made of fabric." She paused a moment, her eyes moving toward me. "No one saw it all, but you let me see it all through multiple memories. Pictures and reports miss so much."

"Accessing other minds is expensive," I said.

"Maybe, but it's so powerful," Cruthers said, her smile growing. "Think of the crimes we could solve."

"It usually knocks you out for a while," Caleb said. "We don't even know if it causes permanent damage."

"It's awful to feel when it involves anger," I added. Caleb nodded in agreement.

"So, how do dirty curtains lead to the solution?" Samuel asked.

"All the curtains in the house were pristine, yet the ones over the broken window were faded and frayed. The perpetrator supposedly threw a brick through the window to gain entry. No one gave it a second thought, but it was on their minds." She laughed again. "Who else would change out the curtains before throwing a rock through the window? Only the person who valued the real curtains, the ones she made. Who else would know where the old curtains were stored? Vanity catches more crooks than you know."

"That's a little vague as proof," Samuel pointed it out.

"Oh, there's more that makes sense now," Cruthers continued, "lots of little things fall into place. They were stabbed with cloth shears and no one even considered how the murderer knew where they were. I, and everyone else had always thought she had left them out, but that doesn't jibe with her cleanliness. There wasn't a hint of dust in the place. She was never considered, because who would consider a weak old grandmother. Until a few moments ago, I didn't either." She sighed, "There was a man who lived in the neighborhood who had been accused of pedophilia in the past, and everyone concentrated on him. It was thought that the boys put up a fight, and he panicked. There was no physical evidence to tie him to the scene, but he was always the main suspect."

"She seemed bedridden," Cruthers said, "used a walker to get around. It was all for show. She lost the act when she moved to Florida. I saw her in court, answering for a speeding ticket, upright and walking without effort. I'm not sure what mind was showing me that. You have no idea what your gift can accomplish."

"It's not a tool," I reminded her, "there's a penalty, and it can be brutal. Nothing that costs that much can be worth using haphazardly."

"How did the military find out about it?" Cruthers asked. She put it all together quickly. There could only be one reason why they were here, once you knew the truth.

"They funded my creation," I said sadly. I hated this part of my birth. It made me feel less human. Caleb stubbornly sent me love, forcing his way in and demanding I acknowledge how human he thought I was. It was all easier to accept with him inside of me. I explained what I understood, leaving some names like Uncle Hank out of the explanation.

"I smell a lawsuit," Samuel said. He was serious, but I found the timing perfect. Caleb started laughing first, and I followed. "No, I mean it," he continued, "they'd settle out of court just to keep something like this quiet."

"I don't think I need the money," I said, looking about the room, "and certainly not the publicity."

"They think you might be a weapon," Cruthers continued her train of thought.

"Or a threat," Caleb added, "they're still working on it. Right now, they are probably leaning toward the threat theory."

"Why would they send uniforms if they wanted you dead?" Cruthers asked.

"The attack wasn't from the military," I said, "there are people who think playing with human DNA is the devil's work."

"Fanatics," Caleb added.

"Well-funded fanatics," Cruthers said, thinking out loud again.

"It's why we brought her in early," Victor said, "Corbett wanted us to wait until she was 21, but he made provisions to speed things up if her location became public."

"You bonded with Corbett," Cruthers stated. Leaps in logic were child's play for her.

"As a newborn," I admitted, "though he was also the first one I didn't bond with. At that time I didn't have a lot of control. Mom didn't like him, and I guess I deferred to her judgment. I was too young to remember any of it."

"It was the worst day of his life," Victor said, "I'll have you know he regretted how he handled you and your mother. He wasn't used to failing, and certainly not used to being so wrong."

"So," Cruthers said, her brain still working hard, "you can project when you're in danger. Turn a brain to mush."

"I don't like that part," I said, "Caleb gets lost, and something ugly takes over."

"Caleb can do it without you?" Samuel asked with surprise.

"We're completely connected," Caleb replied as I nodded, "Everything I know, she knows and vice versa."

"That's how you knew she was coming down the stairs," Cruthers said. She smiled, proud that she could make an orderly sense out of what had happened. "Does the military know...about this sharing thing?"

"We've kept it from them, though they aren't stupid," I said. "They will put it together soon."

"Okay," Cruthers started, "I can't do much about the US Military except ending the case for them, but what do you know about these nuts?" I smiled, knowing I had gained an ally. I needed more of them.

"The first attacker was hired by an Anthony Lewis," I said, "Never met him and only have a distorted image of an African American man, probably tall. The shooter was more concerned with the killing itself than the money he was paid."

"Damn it!" Victor interjected, "I should have dealt with him years ago."

"You know him?" Cruthers asked.

"He tried to stop your mother and you from leaving here 17 years ago," Victor replied, looking at me, "A talented cook, he had us all fooled. Corbett and I thought he was all talk, so we let him go. I can't believe he held onto this for so many years."

"The definition of a fanatic," Cruthers commented. "Give me everything you know about him. I'll see what I can do about tracking him down."

"I can't ask you to do that," I said, worried about creating another Jason.

"It takes a fanatic to find a fanatic," Cruthers said with a confident smile, "It's my job and I take it very seriously. I won't stand for murder in my backyard."

"I still have a file on him," Victor said, rising from the couch. "The info is old, but it could give you a place to start. I also have some private detectives I can lend you."

"That might be helpful," Cruthers replied, "not sure how much of this I can pass on to the precinct. Doing that link thing with the whole department would be too public, and they wouldn't believe it otherwise." Victor nodded and went to retrieve the file.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 14 milliseconds