The New Wolf Ch. 08

"I said detain them." Lucas looked at the pack behind him.

"They're not dumb," James said.

Lucas did not drop his smug smile.

"I won't fight you. There is no reason for me too. I won last night. The pack is mine."

"What about Clara? Is kidnapping people your new leadership style?" David asked. "Where is she..."

"Right now," James interrupted. "Me and you. Let's end this."

"There's no elder present and you're not welcome here. No fight will happen."

"Contact the council. In the interim you can keep me in the cells," James said. "This is my pack; these are my people. They deserve better than a selfish prick."

David wanted to hit James. This wasn't about some alpha power grab. This was about Clara. It would take days for an elder to arrive. She didn't have that long.

"I am your alpha," Lucas said. "You will kill these men. They are a threat to your pack."

Nobody moved a muscle.

"Fight him," someone said. "If his claims are untrue you will win again."

The crowd cheered in response.

"You believe this liar over your own alpha?" Lucas looked as crazy as he sounded.

"Take him to the cells! Call the council," someone else yelled.

"Take Lucas to the cells," another voice chimed in.

David enjoyed the agitation on his rival's face, but he wanted this over. All he cared about was Clara.

"No," Lucas said. "If you want a rematch we will do it right now. You're weak, you've been weak. We will finish this."

"With pleasure." James lowered his chin and glared and Lucas.

David wasn't sure this was the best idea. James was far from fully healed. The pack cheered, eager for another fight. The only thing David was eager for was finding Clara.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Somehow Clara managed to pick herself off the floor. The pain in her neck was excruciating, but a tingle was spreading from Lucas' bite. She cried out as the tingle continued like a virus. If her neck didn't hurt so bad it would almost be pleasurable. Clara pulled her hand away and saw the blood. Her heart started to race. She wondered if Lucas' bite was too deep and the soft feeling was caused by the lack of blood. She collapsed on the wooden plank and reapplied pressure to her wound.

"Are you enjoying the sensation?"

The voice startled Clara, she looked to see Roxy at the cell door. The keys in her hand jingled as she turned the lock. Relief, Roxy was here to let her free. Clara sat up and started to stand, but stumbled backwards.

"You hear stories about how receiving a mark is indescribable, pure ecstasy. Of course I've never heard of one being given outside of sex. What is it like?"

"Roxy, help me," Clara said through labored breaths. The tingles were starting to intensify; they were swallowing her whole.

"I guess I don't need you to tell me. You smell like a common whore and the look on your flushed face are enough to figure it out. You're going into heat. Pretty bad one too."

Clara closed her eyes and tried to focus her breathing. Heat. The last time that happened David was there for her. His blue eyes stared back into hers, but the image almost disgusted her. She didn't understand, but then the vision morphed into Lucas' hazel ones and her heart flared. She let out a whimper and pressed down harder on her neck, hoping this was a dream.

"I didn't want this," Clara said. "David..."

Her stomach soured at his name. She dropped her hands and clutched her midsection.

"Lucas took care of that problem. Now he's the only one who can satisfy you."

"No," Clara whispered the word.

"Lucas is a hard man to understand. He seems so clever, always one step ahead, but then he goes and forgets that there is a second key to the cells, one bestowed to the beta. Since he was too busy collecting you he never passed on the key or cleared out his apartment. I'd be working at it all night for him, since I'm the new Luna."

A sob escaped Clara's lips. She wasn't sure if it was over the mark Lucas forced on her or because the heat was intensifying. Her blood felt like it was boiling, she needed release. Roxy sat down on the bench next to her and put a hand on her back, rubbing up and down.

"I heard you're in love with David, so I think you'll understand my predicament. Knowing the moon goddess screwed up and mated you to the wrong wolf. But don't worry, I'm going to fix it for both of us." Roxy's hand went up into Clara's hair. She made a fist and jerked Clara's head back. "His mark belongs to me."

The fog cleared and Clara saw the glimmer of the knife Roxy was raising to her neck. With a flair of adrenaline, she shoved Roxy's side. The knife nicked Clara's neck, but more pain came from the tug on her hair as Roxy fell off the bench, pulling Clara to the ground with her. Clara pushed herself up, fight or flight kicked in and she ran to the cell door. She tried to pull it open, but it was locked. Another wave of arousal rolled through her and Clara clutched her stomach.

"You dumb bitch." Roxy came up behind Clara and threw her head into the bar.

Clara fell backwards to the ground. The pain in her head was nothing compared to the desire coursing through her. She moved into the fetal position. She couldn't focus on anything as Roxy circled her.

"I'm the one who deserves that mark." A swift kick came to Clara's ribs. She gasped for air, making it impossible to speak.

"I've put in the time with him, the effort. I know what makes him tick, how to pleasure him, do you know any of that?" A kick at Clara's back caused her to arch in pain. The tingles were gone now, all the was left was haze and desire.

"I even comforted him over you. Can you believe that? He promised me his mark. But you bewitched him! You ruined my life and there's one way I can fix it."

Clara tried to focus on the broken bones and the imminent threat of death, but the heat was starting to make her whole body convulse. She needed to find Lucas, this misery had to end no matter what.

"Only one person can wear another's mark, but if you're dead the problem is solved. No more Clara to cloud his judgment. Then he will see who deserves his love. Me."

All the terrible things Lucas had put her through, but at this moment all Clara could think of was finding him. She needed him. Pain exploded in her side. The haze lifted for a moment and she looked up, a knife handle stuck out of her and Roxy smiled down at her as she gripped the blade. All thoughts of Lucas vanished. The heat sucked out of her. Disgust rolled through her at the thought of wanting Lucas, David flashed before her eyes and Clara realized she was screaming. Not from the pain, or death, but the fact she knew she would never see him again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~*

Clara's blood was almost alcoholic, Lucas ran his tongue over his mouth over and over, not wanting to waste a single drop. He had no desire to fight James tonight, but not everyone agreed with Clara being here and some believed James' claim about being drugged. That would mean a council member would be called and days waiting. It was clear James was still weak from the previous beating. Once Lucas took him out again the pack would see his true power and he would never risk being questioned again. Another drop of her blood touched his tongue and his heart pounded. She would give him the strength to beat James.

"Since there are no council members present the challenger and the Alpha have agreed on me to referee," Travis, a mid-level pack member, said. "There is no shifting allowed. Other than that, everything is fair. Start on my call."

"Good luck old man." Lucas turned his attention past James at locked eyes with David. Two pack members had him restrained as a trespasser. "Don't worry, my mate is in good hands. Once James loses and you are put to death for your violations I'll be able to assist her through the rest of the marking."

The blond alpha tried to hide his pain, but Lucas saw past it. He grinned hoping bits of her blood were visible in the moonlight."

"Begin." Travis backed out of the circle.

Lucas looked to James and saw a fist fly in his face. He moved to defend himself, the blows kept on coming. He spun out of the way and dropped one fist, slamming James in the side. His opponent let out a groan and moved back. James decided to be aggressive, Lucas was pleased. Now it was a matter of tiring James out.

James lunged forward, but Lucas danced out of the way. His hit James in the back of the neck and he stumbled. Lucas let out a laugh.

"Just give up now," Lucas teased. "Save us all the trouble."

Lucas ran his tongue over his gums, the coppery taste of his own blood overpowered any trace of Clara. Arms wrapped around his waist and a shoulder went into his gut. His legs went up in the air and the wind flew out of him as his back thudded against the ground. James was on top of him, throwing punch after punch. Lucas brought his arms up in defense, but felt a sharp punch in his side.

He started throwing his arms wildly, kicking too.

"Not fair." Lucas tried to scream, now James was the one cheating. He wasn't sure the words came out.

Another blow came to the side of his head and his vision went black for a second. He pictured Clara and tried to turn. A weight lifted off of him and Lucas forced himself up to his feet. He took two steps before falling back to the ground. A swift impact on his side caused him to fall to the floor. He tried to force his eyes open, but realized they were swollen shut. A crack sounded through the air.

"He's cheating." The words came out in a garbled mess.

"Enough." The voice sounded far away. Lucas blinked and through a small slit he saw James standing over him. Travis was holding his hand up.

Lucas reached for him.

"What is your punishment for the loser?" Travis asked.

Lucas started laughing.

"You're too late...I marked her," Lucas said. "Kill me and you'll hurt her."

He was pretty sure that came out. Lucas continued to laugh, no matter what happened he was the winner. James was weak. He saw the Alpha lean down over him and felt fingers pry his eyes open. His laughter stopped. James' eyes were as cold and demanding as his voice.

"Death," James said.

Lucas held his hands up to block the fatal blow, but it was too late. He knew this was the end. The image of James' unforgiving eyes stared down at him as his world went black.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Release him." James stood over Lucas' body.

The two men holding David dropped his arms. He had never seen so much blood. James' hands dripped the red substance, David glanced down and saw Lucas' lifeless eyes, his entire neck ripped open.

"Where is Clara?" David couldn't be distracted.

"Has anyone seen her?" James yelled at the circling pack members.

Some of them were looking at him with awe, others coward away. It was obvious James would never have to worry about another challenge again. There was no response. He bent down and stuck his hand in Lucas' pocket. He tossed David a set of keys.

"Check his apartment, top floor."

David nodded and ran towards the lodge.

"Where is Suzy?" David heard James ask. He didn't think the other alpha would be much help right now.

He made it inside and ran up the stairs, taking them three at a time. His hands shook as he started to go through the four keys on the ring. Unsure which to try first he pushed the door. It flung open to the office.

"Clara?" David called.

"She's not here."

David followed the voice into the living areas and saw Suzy sitting on the couch. She crossed her legs and leaned back, spreading her arms over the back of the sofa with a smirk on her face.

"Your alpha is looking for you," David said.

"And I'm sure your girlfriend is scared and alone looking for you right now."

David lunged forward and grabbed Suzy by the collar of her shirt. He pulled her up in the air and shook her.

"Where is she?"

Suzy never let the grin slip away.

"I'll tell you, but I want something in return," she said. "Something only you can give me."

"What?" James said.

David released Suzy and turned to see the other alpha behind him. Maybe James was still willing to help.

"Lucas didn't put up much of a fight. Maybe marking his mate made him weak. You know when you killed him it hurt her right? Clara must be in a lot of pain right now and she has no idea why. Are you going to tell her the truth when, sorry, if you find her? Of course I could tell you where she is, save you the trouble of searching."

David's heart raced. Standing here wasn't doing any good. The idea of Clara in more pain caused his blood to boil. He refused to believe them though, Lucas wouldn't have had the time to mark her.

"What do you want Suzy?" James asked again.

"I want a guarantee I won't be outcast. You have to find a new pack to take me in. I will not be an outcast."

"I guarantee your punishment will not be banishment," James said. "Now tell us where the girl is."

"That was too easy," Suzy said. "She's in the cells in the basement. You would have found her in two minutes. Make sure you tell my new alpha how clever I am."

"False wall at the bottom of the stairs." James didn't break eye contact with Suzy. "You will need those keys. The gold one opens the outer door and the tiny one opens any of the cells."

"Thank you." David was shocked he agreed to Suzy's demand. She was not worthy of any pack.

James nodded his head. David started to run out of the room. As he was leaving he heard James speak.

"Suzy Collins. For betraying your pack and your alpha I sentence you to death."

David heard Suzy scream at James, but he cared more about getting to the basement and Clara. He hurled himself down the stairs. She's safe. David kept telling himself that over and over. When he hit the bottom step he started rubbing the walls, it didn't take long for the panel to pop open. His hand still shook as he unlocked the door. His heart felt like it was going to break free from his chest. The lock turned and the door flung open. David's senses were assaulted by the odor of blood coming from the cells.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Pain exploded all over Clara's body. Her head ached from being smashed into the bars, her back hurt from the kicks, and her side hurt from the knife sticking out of it. David's image was enough to keep her going. She bottled up the pain knowing survival was more important. Roxy leaned closer ready to pull out the knife. Clara brought her hand up with speed, she kept one finger extended and jabbed it into Roxy's eye.

Roxy let out a scream and fell backwards. Clara caught her off guard.

"You bitch," Roxy yelled. "That really hurt."

Clara backed herself up against a wall. She didn't look away from Roxy, but felt the knife handle sticking out of her. She had seen enough movies to know that if she pulled it out she risked bleeding to death. She forced herself to her feet as Roxy stood back up. The other woman started laughing. She looked at Clara, her eye was red and blood dripped down from the socket.

"Decided to fight back?" Roxy asked. "It doesn't matter. I'm a proud member of this pack and a trained fighter. I don't need that knife to take you out."

Roxy turned around and went to the cell door.

"You don't love Lucas; you should be thanking me. If you live you're bound to him forever. I'm putting you out of your misery this way."

She unlocked the door and pulled it open. Then she held her hand out signaling for Clara to leave.

"Freedom is yours," Roxy said. "All you have to do is walk out this door."

Clara was fast. That was her advantage. The pain from her injuries was clawing at the bottle Clara had put around it. There would be no way she could make it.

"RUN! I SAID RUN!"

Roxy's eye was swelling up, bulging out of her head. Her beautiful face turned red with anger. Clara stayed pressed against the wall, her hands pressed to her side around the knife. Roxy threw her hands in the air.

"Fine. I'll rip your throat out where you stand."

They were about ten feet apart. Roxy sprinted towards Clara, her face elongated into a muzzle and she bared her teeth. Clara moved her hands to the knife's handle and pulled the dagger out. She pressed it against her chest, blade outwards. Her eyes shut. A slicing sound echoed across the cells. Clara felt Roxy's breath on her face. She forced her lids to open and let go of the blade. Roxy looked at her chest, then back up at Clara. Her snout rescinded and she collapsed to her knees.

"Tell Lucas I love him." Roxy fell backwards, the knife sticking straight up in the air.

A wave of relief came over Clara. She tried to steady her breathing. The pain was gone, all of it. Clara felt perfect. She walked towards the open cell door and a smile spread across her face.

"I love you," David said. "The first time I laid eyes on you I knew it was it for me. You're perfect."

"I'm so sorry," Clara replied. "I should never have followed Suzy."

He was leaning on the wall outside the cell. His million-dollar smile made Clara's stomach flutter.

"Now is not the time to apologize," he said. "Now is the time to celebrate our love."

He held out his arms. Clara wanted to run to him, but couldn't make herself move any faster.

"I'm moving a little slow tonight. Why are you so far away?"

"Tell me when you realized you loved me."

Clara thought about the first time they met, when he came over to introduce himself.

"It was lust at first sight for me."

David laughed and continued to hold up his arms for her. She was getting closer, only a few more steps.

"The morning after our first night together. You were so sweet and awkward at the same time. That was when I started to fall for you."

"But when did you know you loved me?" David asked.

"A few minutes ago." Clara's voice broke with tears. "I thought I was going to die. You were what kept me going."

Clara was close enough to him. She collapsed onto him. His arms wrapped around her and they slid to the floor. His embrace was warm and Clara knew all was right with the world.

"Clara? Clara?" David repeating her name was the last thing Clara heard before she fell asleep on his chest.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*

The world around him was moving at supersonic speeds, but David was going in slow motion. The image of Clara curled up against the wall, a trail of her blood smeared across the floor. Everything David had done since then was on autopilot. He was numb with fear.

A hand touched his shoulder. David turned to see Marilyn. He squinted at her, unsure why she was here.

"How are you holding up?" She asked. "Have you slept at all?"

"What are you doing here?" David asked.

James walked in behind her. David scanned the room. They were at James' clinic. David rubbed his eyes.

"I sent someone for her as soon as I could," James said.

"That means, ten hours?"

Ten long excruciating hours had passed since David found Clara.

"Do they need more blood? I can donate more." David looked to James.

Before he could respond the door to the backroom opened up. The doctor stood there. The seconds before he spoke felt like hours.

"She lost a lot of blood," the doctor said. "A few more minutes, seconds even, and we wouldn't have been able to help her. She owes her life to you Alpha Dresser."

Clara was alive. The weight of relief almost made David fall to his knees. He locked his legs to stay upright.

"Can I see her?" David asked.

"She's unconscious, but her recovery rate is much stronger than the last time I treated her. I'm assuming she has you to thank for that too. My guess is twenty-four hours tops, she will be ready to head home. I'll take you back to her."

David followed the doctor back, he didn't bother saying a word to James or Marilyn, already forgetting they were even there. The hallways were small, with two rooms on each side. The Doctor opened the door to one of them and David ran over to the bed Clara was lying on. He gripped her hand and started kissing. The door shut and they were alone. David climbed in next to her and pulled her against him, promising to never let her go.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 20 milliseconds