• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • The Promise
  • /
  • Page ⁨9⁩

The Promise

Sadie reached over and shut off the light and crawled onto the bed as I lost the boxers. I felt a small tinge of guilt when her naked body folded into mine. I think she felt the tension and she slowed down.

"Second thoughts?" Sadie asked compassionately. I think she would have stopped right then and there if I had asked her.

"It's just hard," I said catching my breath. I wanted this and I wanted it to be with Sadie. I needed to move Amber out of the way without losing her.

"I was hoping it was," Sadie joked as her hand wrapped around my arousal.

"That's not what I meant," I said with humor in my voice. Her hand slammed the passion back into me. I groaned a bit.

"I know what you meant," Sadie whispered in my ear as she removed her hand, "I'll wait if you want me to. I'll wait as long as you need."

"I don't want to wait," I said and kissed her lips. I felt them smile and my heart jumped at her joy. She rose and straddled me. Her hand positioned me between her legs and she lowered herself. My moan matched hers as I entered her. She didn't stop until her butt was sitting on my thighs. We fit well together. She leaned forward with me inside her. Her hands cradled my face, my hands caressed her sides.

"I loved when you sang to me," Sadie cooed as she moved her hips slowly, "it was so beautiful. I knew then, I wanted to be right where I am now." She kissed me, then placed her forehead on mine, and concentrated on her movements, her breathing increasing. I lowered my hands, finding her little butt and helping her move. The sensations were burning into me, her need forcing mine forward. Unexpectedly, her body went rigid and she breathed a low moan onto my lips. I held her as she collapsed into me, little tremors forcing her legs taut, then loose. I lifted her slightly and rolled her onto her back, while remaining coupled. She gave a sated sigh, and I could feel her smile in the dark.

"I'm sorry," Sadie said languorously, "that was kind of greedy." I felt her suppressing a chuckle which forced me to smile.

"It was beautiful," I said truthfully, "feeling you let go like that." She laughed lightly, reaching up and stroking my cheek.

"It took nine years." I stroked the side of her cheek as Sadie spoke. I felt a slight wetness there. I felt her hips move, exciting me again. "I won't let you wait that long." Our lips met, passion flooding me again. My hips raised then lowered slowly, her arms pulling me deeper. Her moans, as I complied, brought me back to the cusp. Her breathing increased and I felt her tremors building again. I dropped my lips to her shoulder and lost myself in her. My whole body trembled as I gave myself to her, her body responding like mine. For a brief moment, there was nothing but us. It was a heaven I wasn't sure I deserved, but I greedily took.

When my mind returned, I rolled onto my side taking Sadie with me. I ran my hand across her cheek, pushing the sweaty hair I found there behind her ear. I kissed her forehead.

"I was contemplating my future before you came in," I said softly. I ran my hand down her arm and entwined my fingers in hers.

"What are you planning?" Sadie asked.

"I thought I was going to run," I answered, "now...I could become a nuisance, you know." Sadie's hand ran down my side and stopped on my ass, which she squeezed lightly.

"Stay," was all Sadie said. She was the only one who understood. I wasn't going anywhere. I had made room for her. It wasn't fair to make Sadie share, but I was bit jealous of Richard as well. I was comfortable in her arms. We fit well together.

"I plan to," I said, and then smiled, "greed is not necessarily a bad thing." I loved making her laugh.

We awoke early the next morning. We played lovingly in the early morning light before the time brought Sadie back to reality. We showered quickly. Well, as quickly as two people who weren't done exploring each other could. The City Kitchen needed to be opened so I tamped down on my passion. We dressed in yesterday's clothes and headed out looking for a cab. Tammy tried to stop us as the front doors opened, but her warning came too late.

A small cheer went up, cameras flashed and reporters armed with microphones ran toward us. The Leach had been busy. We smiled and waved as we tried desperately to break away. Finally, I stopped and grabbed Sadie's hand. The crowd quieted down.

"For twelve years the City Kitchen has never missed a day," I said, raising our hands, "please, we're late." Some of the reporters stepped back, others did not. Police broke through the throng and I couldn't be happier to see them. They led us to an unmarked vehicle and made sure we got out of there. I watched the reporters packing up to follow. No, fame did not sit well with me.

There were two reporters at the City Kitchen. Luckily, the main force was still en route. The cameras and questions were more cordial since they didn't have to fight with anyone. We were cordial in return, and answered some easy questions. A well-dressed man in an expensive long coat was standing by the door as we approached. He was older, but had an air of sophistication that offset it with confidence.

"Ms. Millstead," the man bowed his head slightly, "I wonder if I might have a word with you and Mr. Thaxton." I moved forward. I didn't like the way he carried himself. Way too authoritative.

"And you are?" Sadie asked from behind me. This was her place and she reeked the same confidence back at the man. The man smiled contritely.

"I would prefer we spoke inside," he nodded to the reporters. "I suspect it would cause a scene neither of us could afford out here." I knew exactly who he was. He wasn't hiding behind lawyers this time.

"I believe this is Mr. Abernathy," I said quietly. Sadie clenched her teeth and unlocked the door.

"Thank you," Abernathy said as he entered following Sadie. She moved quickly into the dining room, and turned, wearing a less than friendly expression.

"You're trying to ruin me," Sadie said. You could almost smell the poison in the air. I moved again to position myself slightly between the two. I wasn't sure who I was protecting anymore. Sadie looked like she might go for his eyes.

"Actually," Abernathy said calmly "I was trying to make you cave. I would have never taken it too far. I must admit, I didn't expect the retaliation." I was about ready to hold him down and let Sadie scratch his eyes out. He shook his head and held up his hand when he saw our anger brewing.

"I'm done," Abernathy said, trying to cool us down, "to me, business is life." He looked around the dining room. "I see you two have a different view."

"Why?" Sadie asked with her anger still at the forefront.

"Simple answer. You thwarted my rezoning." Abernathy shrugged his shoulders. "It's the equivalent of throwing down a gauntlet. I fought back." He chuckled. "I just completely underestimated you. The amount of support you two gathered was impressive."

"You could have sent your lawyer to concede," I said with disdain. I wasn't sure why he was here. I worried this was just another play.

"I am here to grovel, Mr. Thaxton." Abernathy was smiling as he spoke. He found the situation humorous. "You two have me by the balls. I wouldn't blame you if you decided to finish me off, but I have learned my lesson. I apologize." He bowed to Sadie whose expression changed to one of bewilderment.

"We haven't touched you." My confusion was apparent. "You've had us jumping through hoops the whole time." Abernathy laughed and had to cover his mouth to squelch it.

"It's your friends who have been thrusting the knives." Abernathy seemed generally surprised at our ignorance. "I have thirteen company vehicles in impound lots due to questionable parking violations, and three of my larger construction projects have had their permits revoked due to fire hazard concerns. At this rate, I will be out of business by the end of the quarter. I won't even tell you what the mayor's office thinks of me right now." Sadie was trying to hide a smile.

"Look, I wouldn't blame you if you buried me." Abernathy had lost his smile. "I'm rich. I'll survive. I have people who work for me who aren't rich. I would rather not hand out pink slips, not to mention having to tell my wife why." He looked at me. "She thinks you're something special. God only knows why," he said, shaking his head. Sadie let out a suppressed chuckle. I just cringed.

"Apology accepted, " Sadie said. The loss of jobs would have hurt her more than Abernathy.

"Good," Abernathy said. "I sent the deed to the adjoining property with a transfer agreement to a Sarah Ferguson. If you agree to the donation, you will control the block. Consider it atonement."

"And a tax write-off, " I said gruffly.

"There is that." Abernathy was smiling again. "Or, I could sell it to another developer."

"No!" both Sadie and I said at the same time.

"Then it's settled, you call off the dogs and I make sure you stay open." Abernathy turned to go, then stopped and turned back. "The mayor won't be in office forever, you could have worse friends than me." He was offering more than an olive branch. He was offering long-term stability. I looked at Sadie and she shrugged her shoulders to defer to me. Abernathy was one hell of an enemy -- I suspected he was one hell of a friend also.

"This doesn't mean I like you," I said as I walked toward the door. Abernathy smiled and followed me out. I had a feeling he always came out smelling like roses. The full press corps had caught up with us, and cameras were flashing as we exited. Microphones were shoved in my face and I answered a few simple questions. I put up my hands to stall more -- I was surprised when it worked. I pulled Abernathy next to me.

"Mr. Abernathy has just generously donated the property adjoining the City Kitchen." I was getting a little better at this. "This ensures the long-term viability of the Kitchen. I can't tell you how much his donation means to us and the people we feed. Truly a remarkable gift from the heart." The microphones shifted to Abernathy and he humbly answered questions. He was much better at it than I. He tied himself to the Kitchen's survival and guaranteed it all in public. Definitely a better friend than enemy.

I snuck away as soon as I could. Sadie was busy starting prep. I jumped in and another day began. I brought down all the chairs and realigned the tables. Last night's clean up crew didn't quite grasp Sadie's anal tendencies. There were a couple of spots on the tables, which Sadie seemed to spot from the kitchen. She looked like she meant to toss me a rag, then thought better and brought it out. She put it in my hand and then kissed me hard. I had to admit, it was better than a rag toss. She smiled and headed back into the kitchen, silent and very confident I knew what to do with the towel. I did.

"You know you're going to have to sing for them," Sadie said when I pulled a box of lettuce out of the walk in. I knew she meant the police officers and firefighters. "I know you did it for me, but they went above and beyond." I opened the box and started unloading heads. I've sung twice, I could do it once more.

"If you're there, I will sing to you," I reasoned, "they can listen if they want." I loved making Sadie laugh.

"You have such a lovely voice. You should share it." Sadie moved toward me.

"Is it okay with you if I don't?" I asked honestly. She answered by kissing me again. Then she made me wash my hands. She had a way of making bossy seem so sexy.

The days that followed were wonderful. We spent our days running the kitchen and our nights, well the nights were simply more wonderful. I told Sadie about Amber and she, in turn, told me about Richard. It was uncomfortable at first, but that faded quickly. We learned to share each other's pasts. With the IRS and class action in the rear view mirror, it made everything easier. Well, almost everything. Sadie and I took a risk with Houser after Bob "Leach" Townsend got back to me with the information I asked him to find.

I sat down with Houser. I put a brownie on his tray and he smiled. I did not. Sadie sat down next to me and did the same. Houser looked up at our serious faces, and I could see he felt uncomfortable.

"I found your niece," I said quietly. Houser lost his smile and his eyes swelled. He almost got up to leave. Sadie covered his hand with hers and held him there. I could see him suffering and wondered if we had chosen wrong.

"She wants to see you," Sadie said gripping his hand. I could see the panic in Houser's eyes.

"She'll hate me," Houser stuttered, "I couldn't...I have to go." Houser stood, Sadie held his hand and stood with him. I was afraid he would leave and never come back.

"Please don't leave," Sadie pleaded.

"I owe you Houser," I said while I remained seated, "you can't live without helping each other out here." I repeated his words to him. Some of the first he told me after yanking me from the water. Sadie gently pulled him back to his seat. His hands were shaking.

"You don't understand," Houser said, "I couldn't...I left her." I understood more than he knew, Bob saw to that. His sister died, then he lost his job. His world collapsed in on him.

"You left me with the Washingtons," a soft voice behind him said, "they are a wonderful family." Houser turned quickly, his eyes meeting his niece's.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," Houser cried. Sadie had to let go of his hand. He rose and I thought he was going to run. Natalie Washington smiled at her uncle.

"Forgiven," Natalie said softly, "for what, I don't know, but you're forgiven." She took Houser's hand in hers. "Can you tell me about my mother?" Houser's eyes were tearing and he wiped them on his sleeve.

"Yes," Houser choked out.

"No one else can," Natalie said, "you're my only link to her. Can we just sit and talk?"

Houser sat, and Sadie and I drifted away. We watched as Natalie and Houser talked. His smile began to appear as the conversation continued. I wrapped my arm around Sadie and pulled her close.

"That went better than I expected," I said, "maybe she can talk him into going to a dentist." Sadie smiled up at me.

"I love that you did that." Sadie's eyes told me she loved more than what I did. It was the middle of dinner, the dining room was full with more hungry coming in. It was not the place, but it was the time.

"I love you," I said. I had thought it, and I had showen it. Now I said it without fear or guilt.

<<<<< Sadie >>>>>

"I love you," David said, with his eyes glued to mine. I knew he did, but it was the words that made my heart explode. I smiled up at him.

"I love you, too" I repeated to David. The way he shouldered the problems, making them his own. The way he made my pulse quicken by looking at me like he was right then. He was my future. He pulled me close and kissed me, the dining room disappeared and I barely heard the well-meaning gibes flowing from the tables. I loved the strength he didn't know he had.

Richard had that type of strength. He made me promise him before he died. A promise I thought I would fail to keep. Not anymore. 'Richard, I kept my promise -- I found love again.'

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • The Promise
  • /
  • Page ⁨9⁩

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 32 milliseconds